[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

I had doubts in that regards too at first, but then I checked the pillars in vanilla FE8, and they don't give any boosts to Res either.

Huh, I never knew, I guess you learn something every day.

Btw, you're doing an awesome job on the hack though, I love it!

Edited by Lato57

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go, everybody.

I present to you the latest version of Fire Emblem: Midnight Sun!

What's new?

> Actually, very little. This version (1.5) has the same chapters as the previous one (1.2) + The first extra chapter in the Tower of Trials

and a couple Skirmish battles. So you can say it has a total of 12 chapters for now.

> All the chapters in the game have been polished and now feature:

- New mechanics

- New stats and growths

- New dialogues

- New secrets & unlockables

- New animations

- New sprites

- New and faster booting

I've also fixed a number of bugs from the previous version.

- Fixed the cursor in chapter 8

- Fixed the event glitches in chapter 5x

- Fixed the pausing/resuming glitch involving Sae'rah recruitment in chapter 6

- Many more

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR V.1.2 SAVEFILE ISN'T COMPATIBLE WITH THIS V.1.5. I'm sorry, but I had to mess with the savefiles to improve the game mechanics. Don't worry though, this is the only and last time -- v.2.0 will be compatible with your v.1.5 saves.

I know you're hungry for new content, but I ask you to be a little more patient. I've already some chapters ready and finished for v.2.0, but they're not enough for a release... yet. Expect more from the hack by the end of the year!

Finally, here's the new download link.

DOWNLOAD FIRE EMBLEM MIDNIGHT SUN V.1.5!

I also wanted to thank you dearly for the 17'000+ downloads.

d47dc17ca1dad6b6d65f36cf5cbea7f4.png

If you've downloaded the patch within the first 30 minutes of its release, download it again! There's a bug in the prologue that I've already fixed.

Thank you to everyone who helped me and my team so far.

Special thanks to Brendor, Wayward Winds and Gabrielknight, who supported me greatly this time around.

Enjoy the game!

P.S. If you find any bugs, please report them to me asap!

P.P.S. Happy birthday to me. XD

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

And sad that I can't play it with my savefile but nvm, I can play it all over again to do things better. Thank you so much! <3<3

Happy birthday Alfred!

Anyways I ran into a bug in CH3 where the boss' death quote would not display. Instead I got a glitch screen for a split second and then everything went back to normal. Not sure if reproducible. (I don't have a savestate unfortunately)

Edited by jl260

@ jl260

Unless Alfred's changed it for this version, Garion doesn't have a death quote. I spotted that while proofreading for the previous release and asked him about it, and his answer was:

...Funny. No death/defeat quote for Garion? Is that coming later, or has one of the text pointers failed to work?

Since death quotes can't work with conditionals (as far as I know), I couldn't make the game tell if Garion was actually *dead* or just *defeated* by then (based on whether Fa had talked to him or not).

So I decided to not give him a death quote. (I was kinda lazy to find one that could work for both the cases, and a simple "Uuurgh" or something was.. hm, weird. But I'll eventually make it someday, maybe. I'll add it to the bottom of my list).

Edited by Wayward Winds

Huh, I never knew, I guess you learn something every day.

Btw, you're doing an awesome job on the hack though, I love it!

Thank you so much! ^^

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

And sad that I can't play it with my savefile but nvm, I can play it all over again to do things better. Thank you so much! <3<3

Oh my XD

You're welcome!

Happy birthday Alfred!

Anyways I ran into a bug in CH3 where the boss' death quote would not display. Instead I got a glitch screen for a split second and then everything went back to normal. Not sure if reproducible. (I don't have a savestate unfortunately)

Thank you ^^

Also, thanks for the report. I've already fixed and addressed the issue!

Congratulations on the new release! It's good to see the sizable progress that's been made.

Thanks Venno. :D

@ jl260

Unless Alfred's changed it for this version, Garion doesn't have a death quote. I spotted that while proofreading for the previous release and asked him about it, and his answer was:

Wow, I had actually forgotten about that hahaha.

Anyway I have given him a death quote, it's just a simple an generic "Uurrrrgh!!". So that it fits both the endings.

So, to sum it up:

CURRENTLY KNOWN ISSUES IN V.1.5

- Weird text glitch in the Prologue (fixed)

- Garion's death quote glitch in chapter 3 (fixed)

I'll be getting some sleep now. I hope you all enjoy the game. ^^

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Hi!, i love this hack, just finished v1.5 and im anxious for the next release!

i found a bug in chapter "Justified Massacre"... in v1.2 the left house had a dialogue regarding Sae'rah's mother... that changes when you visit the village with a child character... i went to the village but no any dialogue appeared... the doors got closed automatically after i pressed "Visit"...

Keep the good work!!!!

I'm at the chapter where you have to fight the two Generals and then run.. I restarted this for 40 times or so..
Did you changed something that hard? xD Because it feels like enemies hit me every time and when I attack it's like 3 out of 10 you know D:
Sure a little difficulty is nice but I feel so stomped right now. D:

Edit: Found a bug after that mission, normally if you visit the villiage on the left side with Andre, you have a talk with the Mother of Sae'rah, but there is none, it just gets black for a short duration and then is all back to normal

Edited by Ryosuken

Good job finishing the update. Also:

NwV3vEA.png

Didn't think that was possible. Needless to say, the rest of the chapter didn't go well. Oh, and does anyone know what the first difference is? I had some complications while applying the patch, and I just want to make sure I have the right version.

Edited by ryan5152001

Good job finishing the update. Also:

NwV3vEA.png

Didn't think that was possible. Needless to say, the rest of the chapter didn't go well. Oh, and does anyone know what the first difference is? I had some complications while applying the patch, and I just want to make sure I have the right version.

:O he got killed in the first chapter?

You just killed the demon king, there is nothing to fight for xD!

Thank you, everyone.

I've fixed the following:

- Chapter 6 village didn't display any text (fixed, it displays correctly now)

- The Mars item didn't give any passive Str boost (fixed, it does now)

- Some weird text appeared in the Prologue (fixed)
- Garion's death quote in chapter 3 was bugged (it displays correctly now)

Just download and patch the v.1.5 file again to a clean ROM.

As for the Barrier Staff and Holy Badge not giving Res boosts, that's currently being addressed. I'll release a fix asap.

Thank you.

V.1.6 will be released soon with all of the bugfixes, hopefully. and while I'm at it, I could edit the chapter names of the Tower... I just have to draw them, since they're graphics, not text

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Yay, v1.5 is out ;)

thank you Alfred! can't wait to try out the new update of midnight sun hack :)

also happy birthday man.

um, so v1.5 fixes issues with 1.2 and it has the skirmish battles? cool,

um didn't 1.2 at the end have two skirmish battles available? but maybe in v1.2 they had glichtes etc.

also, that's great that you can use the save from 1.5 in v2.0 (when v2.0 comes out in the future)

anyways, replaying MS from the begining should be very fun :)

also 1.5 ends at the split chapter? like in 1.2? or does it continue from ch 9?

in 1.2 i managed to finish the final ch but i lost Melinus and Rya in the process :( .

this time round i need to be more careful with not losing charaters.

Edited by IkeBoyDude

Is it normal that that Fa has an End of the world type battle theme or is that a bug.

Also, seems like Hellios gains much less Exp, so much for being carried until Weiß arrives.

Nope, it's her personal theme.

And yes, I've nerfed Hellios' exp gain, but buffed his growths.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Chapter 5x got a surprise up its sleeve with the wyverns because I always just send God (Weiss) with Ceapana up north and Shiori to break the log.

Aaaand I also realised that Shwarz's map sprite shows him with a lance, I could try to make it look like a sword, but I won't insert it because I have no idea, but I'll still send the map sprite for him.

Edited by Glacoe