[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it'll be better when the big ole fe8 eventing guide is complete

I'm sure your guide will help many people approach the hacking scene, so thank you for that. However, it is based on a limited version of the Event Assembler, so that has to be taken into account as well when talking about the possibilities offered by FE7 and FE8.

World Map hacking is still hard, and so is coping with the pre-existing hard codes of FE8 (especially those for the route-split, Tower, Ruins, etc.)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Currently over 3500, I'll post the exact number when I'm finished.

Meanwhile...

woo_tactics.png

...Is this happening for real!?

nothing like young love.

also

Gt4WAAb.png

Pretty sure that is not suppose to happen.

I'm guessing there will be different endings depending on if you were found out or not? Are there any characters you can miss out on if you get found/don't get found?

The ending is the same regardless, but the events during the chapter change drastically depending on whether you're found out or not. Missing out on characters would be fun as hell (for me), but I decided not to make that an option.

shots_fired.png

shots fired

Interesting. Perhaps there's a monster there? What happens if you deploy 1 less character and leave that tile free?

I went ahead and deployed all 8. I just had to kill that 1 monster before I could move Djambo. Also when I enter tower, I get some text about something then to save selection to back to world map on both Shiori or Fa path ill send my save file soon.

Seeing the characters actually talking to each other like that, even if it's just quips like that makes me quite happy inside. It means that the characters will NOT, in fact, be relegated to just numbers + supports, that they will continue to exist as characters in the main storyline. That's probably my biggest complain about the main FE games, especially ones like FE6 where if you're not Roy or Merlinus, you get maybe 2 lines of dialogue after your recruitment at best, then cya in supports.

Seeing the characters actually talking to each other like that, even if it's just quips like that makes me quite happy inside. It means that the characters will NOT, in fact, be relegated to just numbers + supports, that they will continue to exist as characters in the main storyline. That's probably my biggest complain about the main FE games, especially ones like FE6 where if you're not Roy or Merlinus, you get maybe 2 lines of dialogue after your recruitment at best, then cya in supports.

If permadeath wasn't a thing, that probably would be more feasible. Sure, you could just have everyone retreat from battle and still tag along for cutscenes and the like, but that might get suspicious after a while. Otherwise, you have to write 3000+ lines of text every single chapter depending on whether someone died or not. Can you honestly see IntSys doing something like that?

If permadeath wasn't a thing, that probably would be more feasible. Sure, you could just have everyone retreat from battle and still tag along for cutscenes and the like, but that might get suspicious after a while. Otherwise, you have to write 3000+ lines of text every single chapter depending on whether someone died or not. Can you honestly see IntSys doing something like that?

No, and that's the problem.

What's interesting is that FE7 tried doing that, and IS screwed it up at points. Namely, Legault can appear in a certain chapter storywise regardless of whether or not he's dead or wasn't even recruited in the first place. FE6 also had various minor characters have talking roles in some gaidens.

What's interesting is that FE7 tried doing that, and IS screwed it up at points. Namely, Legault can appear in a certain chapter storywise regardless of whether or not he's dead or wasn't even recruited in the first place.

That makes sense though if his death quote mention that he doesn't die, but rather retreat. And nothing prevents him to lurk around if he wasn't recruited. Maybe it was just executed poorly...

The problem is, I don't remember if his death quote makes that clear or not.

This hack looks absolutely amazing, I'm following a few others but this one is definitely at the top of the list. Does anyone know if there is a rough estimate when this hack will be fully finished and released?

This hack looks absolutely amazing, I'm following a few others but this one is definitely at the top of the list. Does anyone know if there is a rough estimate when this hack will be fully finished and released?

v.2.0 (up to ch.16) -> 2017

v.3.0 (Final) -> 2018

That makes sense though if his death quote mention that he doesn't die, but rather retreat. And nothing prevents him to lurk around if he wasn't recruited. Maybe it was just executed poorly...

The problem is, I don't remember if his death quote makes that clear or not.

“I guess it’s time… to meet…”

I feel like this is implying he's going to meet someone in the afterlife/death itself? idk

Edited by L95

I'm sure your guide will help many people approach the hacking scene, so thank you for that. However, it is based on a limited version of the Event Assembler, so that has to be taken into account as well when talking about the possibilities offered by FE7 and FE8.

World Map hacking is still hard, and so is coping with the pre-existing hard codes of FE8 (especially those for the route-split, Tower, Ruins, etc.)

pfft who needs the world map when you can just skip it.

There's actually some event related stuff for the world map that we know but I don't really know it (since I'm not using it lol).

I definitely need to read through all the EA 9.11 docs for FE8 and see what things exist for use in it and then somehow figure out what they all do.

There was a really interesting bug (Or feature/oversight) during chapter 6.
The normal house that gives you an iron sword and an iron lance could be visited every turn... Now I find myself with dozens of swords.
You may have done this intentionally, since they're cheap weapons, but still.
If you don't fix this in v 2.0 we'll be able to sell 50 swords+lances for a lot of money... And that'd be dumb.
I don't know if you already knew about this, or if you even fixed it already, but since I'm too lazy to read the whole thread I reported it anyways

E già che ci sono, complimenti, hai fatto un ottimo lavoro Alfred.

Ooh! Ooh! I know!

How can I donate if PayPal.me doesn't offer service here in Finland?!

Hmmmmh, oh! :D

Btw, can't you use Paypal at all in Finland, or just the PayPal.me feature?

PM me the details, perhaps.

There was a really interesting bug (Or feature/oversight) during chapter 6.

The normal house that gives you an iron sword and an iron lance could be visited every turn... Now I find myself with dozens of swords.

You may have done this intentionally, since they're cheap weapons, but still.

If you don't fix this in v 2.0 we'll be able to sell 50 swords+lances for a lot of money... And that'd be dumb.

I don't know if you already knew about this, or if you even fixed it already, but since I'm too lazy to read the whole thread I reported it anyways

E già che ci sono, complimenti, hai fatto un ottimo lavoro Alfred.

Thank you very much for reporting, I didn't notice that.

I've fixed it. In the meantime, enjoy the glitch lol.

E grazie mille :)

assassin_lepto.png
Most powerful assassin
image.png
Most broken unit in the game
underrated.png
Most underrated unit in the game
Edited by Alfred Kamon

I've played this hack a couple of times now and I've noticed that Andre always ends up tankier than half of my physical units. Is it just my dumb luck or is it time for a hp/defense nerf? He's always super fast too, not that I have problems with speedy mages.

I've played this hack a couple of times now and I've noticed that Andre always ends up tankier than half of my physical units. Is it just my dumb luck or is it time for a hp/defense nerf? He's always super fast too, not that I have problems with speedy mages.

You're lucky, it's a mere 25% growth. That's the same as Fa's Res growth.