[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

This particular shot - guy on the left's head is WAY too small in proportion to his body. Uhhh. . .Ceapana and Phoebe both have color schemes that clash - I think the culprit is the reds in the sprite. Louise's hair color looks like it came out of FE7, while the majority of the colors look like they're from FE8. My favorite mug so far is Andre.

I like the idea of explaining what some of your custom classes do in their description. I really don't like stealth stuff, though (The only game where I didn't mind it was Yggdra Union, and that's because it was extremely short and didn't require stupid timing shenanigans). Whether Louise helps your story or hurts it remains to be seen.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I obviously won't make her an annoying sadist like in the anime. Just keeping her tsundere-ism, her loyalty to a Princess (mine, in this case) and her point of view from another world.

And maybe giving her a little jap speech like seen in the screenshots, but uh, I may discard the idea if it gets ridicolous to write and to read. I just have to test her speech a little more.

And I won't fall into fanboysm. Hell no, please.

Not something like a marriage between a character of mine and her also because she is already married, or a role as main protagonist, or anything else which may elevate her above all the other secondary characters.

As you said, I like the character (mainly her novels counterpart tbh) and I wanted her to be in my hack, without fucking up the whole project for her.

That's all. =)

I'm glad to hear it. I only saw her Anime counterpart, so my view is a little biased ;):

Anyway, you really seems to have thought that through. I'll trust you on that and will wait for more. Keep the good work !

This particular shot - guy on the left's head is WAY too small in proportion to his body. Uhhh. . .Ceapana and Phoebe both have color schemes that clash - I think the culprit is the reds in the sprite. Louise's hair color looks like it came out of FE7, while the majority of the colors look like they're from FE8. My favorite mug so far is Andre.

I like the idea of explaining what some of your custom classes do in their description. I really don't like stealth stuff, though (The only game where I didn't mind it was Yggdra Union, and that's because it was extremely short and didn't require stupid timing shenanigans). Whether Louise helps your story or hurts it remains to be seen.

Mmmh, you are right about Cristoph, the religious guy. Basically I wanted to make him very muscular (see -> something similar ) but maybe resizing his right shoulder and lowering his neck a little may help.

I thought that Phoebe's colors looked okay? But you're not the first to say so, also a friend of mine complained about her colors, and since I already had in program to resprite her later, I'll take that in consideration when the time comes.

About Ceapana, yes, Blue + Red isn't the best combination in this case; I didn't manage well the 16 color limit (due to her lipstick and her blue eyes mainly) but I guess I'll recolor her sooner or later.

Louise's pink is a little strange simply because in FE8 there isn't any pink hair. I didn't have anything to base my coloring on, and uh, it seems a little light to me as well. FE8 uses darker colors in general, so I guess I'll make her pink a little darker, but with custom colors it'll take a while.

Glad you like Andre.

The original descriptions of FE8 were like that already, ahah. I think they were nice so I kept them.

The stealth in that chapter won't be anything that tricky or difficult. In fact, it's probably one of the easiest chapters I've done; it just has some cliché situation and should be enjoyable overall. And no, it isn't required a great timing avoiding the soldiers since most of them don't even move (you'll have to figure out how to make them move away) apart from the 30 turns limit. Basically it also was a chapter where I wanted to test my conditional events skills, since FE8 almost doesn't have anything besides IFCA, but I somewhat managed to reproduce IFEF/IFET with some gimmicky tricks.

May I ask, why does hood lady have a different outline than everyone else? :C

Wait, that hooded person is a lady?

I thought it was a he. ._.

Helios is a man.

Outline? Oh. I made his outline a little darker because I already needed that color to make the darkest shade of his hood.

I like that Warp Knight/Sword animation you got going on. It's pretty cool :D

Thanks ^^

Anyway. Why Louise? Why not that funny pervert boy with superhuman talent for weapons? Would be a better plot with him.

Saito will be in this hack as well, but he'll appear much later on.

Also Louise is in this world because she is searching for him; and she can't just travel back to her world or Saito's whenever she wants since they need both of their powers to travel between worlds.

And since Saito's Gandalfr powers allow him to use any kind of weapon, introducing him in the earlier or middle chapters would make him a broken character.

I'll keep him as a kind of Athos, just for weapons and not magic, or something like that.

I'm glad to hear it. I only saw her Anime counterpart, so my view is a little biased ;):

Anyway, you really seems to have thought that through. I'll trust you on that and will wait for more. Keep the good work !

Thanks again.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Crossover hacks are good when done properly.

But that's the key, when done properly.

Two things for you Alfred.

1. Be VERY wary of doing cross-over, the only time it's done well is with a good writer, otherwise your project will just be, well awful (trust me I know from experience)

2. The Kingdom of Lazulis? The Last Story?

But that's the key, when done properly.

Two things for you Alfred.

1. Be VERY wary of doing cross-over, the only time it's done well is with a good writer, otherwise your project will just be, well awful (trust me I know from experience)

2. The Kingdom of Lazulis? The Last Story?

1. I just need a clarification here. Aren't cross-overs supposed to be stories created by mixing two storylines? In this case, the one from my hack's world and the one from Louise's?

Because if that's the case, I don't possibly see how this can be considered a crossover. It's a cameo appearence. I'm just taking a character, leaving her world and her connections apart (see: considering them but not giving them more relevance then needed), and just keeping those parts of her and her story which I think make sense in my project. But apart from that, I'm giving Louise a more mature character, she isn't just a copy-paste from the material she comes from and I do not intend to do so. I want her to fit a certain role in the story, NOT making the story change according to her being there.

Same goes for her husband which I mentioned earlier.

2. Yeah, I just love that game, glad you know it. I'm just keeping the name though, not intentioned to put any character from TLS in this hack.

The only non-totally-original characters will be those two, like I said.

Also thanks for the warning. But can I know which is the 'experience' you're referring to? It may help me understanding your point of view better.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

1. I just need a clarification here. Aren't cross-overs supposed to be stories created by mixing two storylines? In this case, the one from my hack's world and the one from Louise's?

Because if that's the case, I don't possibly see how this can be considered a crossover. It's a cameo appearence. I'm just taking a character, leaving her world and her connections apart (see: considering them but not giving them more relevance then needed), and just keeping those parts of her and her story which I think make sense in my project. But apart from that, I'm giving Louise a more mature character, she isn't just a copy-paste from the material she comes from and I do not intend to do so. I want her to fit a certain role in the story, NOT making the story change according to her being there.

Same goes for her husband which I mentioned earlier.

Than that's my bad, I was under the impression that you were going to be pulling more characters from other series. But be smart with what you write for her character (I have no idea who she is but people that do might have a problem if you butcher her character.)

2. Yeah, I just love that game, glad you know it. I'm just keeping the name though, not intentioned to put any character from TLS in this hack.

The only non-totally-original characters will be those two, like I said.

Just got it actually, it's pretty fun. Wanna play online sometime? Alrighty then.

Also thanks for the warning. But can I know which is the 'experience' you're referring to? It may help me understanding your point of view better.

Because of this. Everyone was out of character, it was just poorly written.

Than that's my bad, I was under the impression that you were going to be pulling more characters from other series. But be smart with what you write for her character (I have no idea who she is but people that do might have a problem if you butcher her character.)

Mhm, I intend to create a character who fits my story well but which wouldn't disappoint those who liked how she originally was IF there is someone who cares, lol

But yeah, it requires some good writing skills and I'm putting my efforts in this.

Just got it actually, it's pretty fun. Wanna play online sometime? Alrighty then.

Whoo! Of course, I'd love to!

I send you a PM now.

Because of this. Everyone was out of character, it was just poorly written.

I went through the topic.

Hmh, I guess that writing a plot containg all those characters from so many different universes may be a pain to build up. The idea seems a little like Ace's Devourer of Worlds. =)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Mhm, I intend to create a character who fits my story well but which wouldn't disappoint those who liked how she originally was IF there is someone who cares, lol

But yeah, it requires some good writing skills and I'm putting my efforts in this.

I think those who saw the anime would prefer that they went out of character

(but I heard everyone was already out of character here...;): )

Well, you seems wary of the possible problems.

I'm sure you'd be told it if it's not well done, anyway.

...You can trust us on this ;):

Edited by TendaSlime

Cristoph will either need narrower shoulders or a bigger head. Right now, the proportions look off.

If you want FE8 pink, you have a few options.

1. Marisa.

2. Neimi.

3. One of the generic village girls has a pink shirt.

4. Amelia's in-battle sprite (not sure if that'll do, though)

Hope that helps!

Alfred Kamon

Who the heck is the blonde fighter guy?

Epic Face Dude

He's Cristoph, a religious maniac who sees in everyone and in everything the sign of the Devil. He asks his God for forgiveness before going nuts in battle.

Also he sees Fa as a demon, which is quite ironic since the members of the royal family of Hoikade are supposed to be descendants of the local God due to their red eyes.

He's secretely in love with Rya, the princess of Magnolia, which is the only one around him who actually scolds him and who is atheist.

Have I said enough?

I think those who saw the anime would prefer that they went out of character

(but I heard everyone was already out of character here...;): )

Well, you seems wary of the possible problems.

I'm sure you'd be told it if it's not well done, anyway.

...You can trust us on this ;):

She isn't that bad in the first season of the anime if you watch it till the end

It's past season 1 that everything starts sucking

Sure! Thanks for the support. :)

If you want FE8 pink, you have a few options.

1. Marisa.

2. Neimi.

3. One of the generic village girls has a pink shirt.

4. Amelia's in-battle sprite (not sure if that'll do, though)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help, eclipse.

I've tried those colors but they seem more like purple to me.

She would be like this.

But her hair color should totally be more pinkish, like this.

And there isn't a "pink" like that in FE8, so I guess I'll have to custom it till it doesn't look bad with the other colors.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Haha Christoph is an instant classic

How many chapters will be done before you release the patch to the public?

:3

I thought about releasing a patch with Prologue-Chapter 8, but it'll take me a while.

Late February at least.

And in that period everyone will be playing Awakening, ahah.

So I really don't know, I'll probably make things better without rushing them and release a patch on summer.

Portip: When you get progress search for a spriter, you'll need one Not to be rude but your sprites aren't so hot

I may consider it but not in the near future.

I am progressing as a spriter myself little by little so I hope my works get better in the future.I mean, just look at the sprites of my first screenshoots and look at the ones I recently released

And honestly I like some of them, like Helios and Fa. :<

Others till now are easy splices, they are nothing that impressive indeed.

But I'll get better. ;P If I get a spriter any soon, I won't progress anymore. And I do want to improve. :)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

as long as the sprites aren't deformed or use terrible colors, i think they're fine, given that its a hack

that being said, a couple peeps did look a little odd, but sadly i dont have the time to invest into giving details, so perhaps someone else can help there

tis why I said "when you have progress," meaning like enough for whatever he has planned for his public release, the next step would probably be just put up a request topic i would guess, to make the mugs prettier and such.