[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Alfred, could you post a list of the Multiweapon Units? Like Troubadour is Staves/Swords I just wanna know all the units that would use Magic/Armor and what they use :x

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing job, Alfred.

I have to say that this hack is over the top!

From the videos and such I've seen: the graphics, gameplay, story, etc is all very well done and fantastic.

I will be playing this deft. This has my support to the fullest.

Keep up the great work. Let the competition begin! Lol

Thank you very much, NYZ!

I'm glad you're liking it and I hope you'll enjoy the hack when you play it.

Of course, come at me bro. Some rivality can only make our work better =)

Oh boy, the quality of this production has been something else. The attention to detail, the really tight tuning on chapters, it's all fantastic. Not played through too much of it yet, between yesterday's exhaustion and today's business, but this is proving to be a gold standard I need to hold to with my own work in Shatterlight.

My own release feels pretty underwhelming by comparison, but that's a challenge I will look up to.

Thank you, LunaSaint. I'm glad you like the attention to detail-- it's something that not all players notice.

I'm sure you'll do great with Shatterlight.

Finished the patch same day it came out. I have NO life.

I don't want to sound like a shallow fan, but I have to say, the overall hack quality is excellent.

There was a momentary glitch in chapter 3 while i was viewing enemy units, but it only happened once and was probably just a random thing.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next patch.

Bahahah you're a boss!

Well, thank you very much! ^^

Can I know something more about that glitch you were talking about, please?

Chapter 5 is more of a puzzle than an actual chapter, if you know what to do it's trivial. The trouble comes from knowing what to do and knowing which walls fliers can cross. It was a very trial-and-error map. (Hint: Don't grab the Ruby until you're almost done.)

Yes, that's the spirit of the chapter. =)

[spoiler=chapter 4 goal] You need to "Rescue Fa" Kill the Boss and Rescue with Menmes

[spoiler=chapter 4 goal]You can also just step into the tile behind the boss.

Otherwise the chapter would be unbeatable without Menmus.

Alfred, could you post a list of the Multiweapon Units? Like Troubadour is Staves/Swords I just wanna know all the units that would use Magic/Armor and what they use :x

I see no point in doing that. You can just check the class descriptions to know what they can equip.

Also, it seems that someone was having some problems with chapter 5:

http://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/26ctji/midnight_sun_chapter_5_help/

So I made a tutorial video.

Be sure to watch it ONLY if you don't know what to do! ;o (don't want you to get spoiled and all)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I see no point in doing that. You can just check the class descriptions to know what they can equip.

Booooo, no fun, I wanted to see if there was gonna be a Dark Knight Class (Tomes/Swords)

Edit: It says

Weiss

for the class, but no weapon rank?

Edited by B.Mage

In chapter 6, Why can't I enter the village on the left?

Edit: Never mind, I just reset the Chapter and it let me visit.

Edit 2: You said to look at the info for the class, yet it says only Wyvern riders can carry Lances, yet they use Axes and Lances

Edited by B.Mage

In chapter 6, Why can't I enter the village on the left?

Edit: Never mind, I just reset the Chapter and it let me visit.

Edit 2: You said to look at the info for the class, yet it says only Wyvern riders can carry Lances, yet they use Axes and Lances

Thanks for that Wyvern Riders report, I'll fix the description asap.

Also, you said you couldn't enter the village in chapter 6. Did that happen on the latest version I released today? (v.1.1)

Or were you still playing v.1.0?

Thanks for that Wyvern Riders report, I'll fix the description asap.

Also, you said you couldn't enter the village in chapter 6. Did that happen on the latest version I released today? (v.1.1)

Or were you still playing v.1.0?

It happened in v1

also I sent a pm on some stuff, if you could kindly reply :P

Well, this is an excellent hack with a good story!

But...

Is anyone stuck on Chapter Seven where all the character sprites are on top off the enemy units? I can't seem to fix this - well, I can let some of my units die but that is a bad solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S Keep up the good work

Well, this is an excellent hack with a good story!

But...

Is anyone stuck on Chapter Seven where all the character sprites are on top off the enemy units? I can't seem to fix this - well, I can let some of my units die but that is a bad solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S Keep up the good work

Thank you.

Huuh.... what?

I'm sorry but I think I don't understand what your problem is.

Could you please provide me a screenshot? In spoiler tags too, thanks.

Is it recommended to download 1.1 before downloading the next update after?

I'm a bit worried about my hard work going missing if I wait with 1.0 for 1.2 update.(Seriously, fuck Chapter 5 and 6, and 8 to some extent. I CAN'T imagine what they'd be like in hard mode...)

My first go with the spoiler tag, hope it goes well...

[spoiler=This is a spoiler?]KZB9Dlk.jpg
Sorry if this doesn't work, quite newbish :/

As you can see the character sprite is there but there is also a monster as well, thus, I cannot use any character except Shoiri (Hope I got the name right)

I could always start anew but I want to make sure my efforts won't go in vain D:

Edited by Ancora

So I just made an account to say that I really like your work here ^^

I'm currently at chapter 5x and managed to get past chapter 5 on my own (including getting all the items in the chapter *yay*) and wanted to say that you did a good work.

The music is really fitting and I especially like the 8bit version of Bravely Defaults "That Persons Name is" whenever I enter a boss battle.

The thing i like the most would be the characters. I love Shioris designs and natures although it bothers me a bit that Shiori's already at lvl 20 :/

I also noticed that you use German words for some items/characters which I'm also fond of since thats my mother tounge.

Keep up the good work Alfred :D

[spoiler=This is a spoiler?]KZB9Dlk.jpg

As you can see the character sprite is there but there is also a monster as well, thus, I cannot use any character except Shoiri (Hope I got the name right)

I could always start anew but I want to make sure my efforts won't go in vain D:

The first thing I'd ask for people viewing this thread, is can they duplicate this glitch? >_>;

I do remember a few times when EN had bug reports but there was nothing wrong with the events.

It was some fluke with the emulator or whatever.

Or some bug innate to the the actual ROM.

Any chance of getting a copy that works with VBA? I don't want to have to download a completely new Emulator just for this one game.

Works fine in VBA for me.

otrAVY0.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

JUST got the new patch. What I'll do is play through everything once, then see what applies to Known Issues, and reword it accordingly.

I'm going to go through this patch bit by bit, and note things down as I go.

[spoiler=Intro screens]- "Magvel quite changed?" I'm not sure what you're trying to express here.

- I'm. . .not sure what I think of Moonie as a name. Onward!

- Phoebe looks absolutely badass. Hope we can recruit her~!

- I can't help but giggle at Holon the Hollow King. REALLY nice mug on him, though.

- The placeholder mug strikes! That's awesome!

Overall: The voice changes here and there (do you want a narrator or someone who the player is conversing with?), but it's a good start!

[spoiler=Prologue start]- Minor nitpick here. "Can" and "may" can be used interchangeably in "You (blank) go", but the latter makes her sound a little less, uh, condescending. I'm not sure what her full character is like, so choose whichever one you think fits her the best!

- Whoa. The first few lines between Moonie and Fatarass sound. . .really abrupt. Like they're barely on speaking terms. "Is this how you greet me, Fa?" is actually. . .pretty good, but after saying "come here", I'd expect Fatarass to be slightly crass (now you may shoot me).

- The mood swings are pretty abrupt. They go from an icy greeting to Fa screaming to Moonie trying to be more sympathetic. This CAN work, but it depends on what you plan on doing with the story.

- Moonie gets a solid F in the Comforting Your Angsty Daughter category. :P:

- Agreed with Fa on that one! It's good that you've told us, the audience, about the past. . .but it feels forced.

- I'd be rather irritated if I was referred to as a "precious being". But. . .I'm not sure if Moonie's supposed to be the "nice queen but does not always express herself well" archetype. If she's meant to be stern but compassionate, maybe something a bit more family-oriented (unless Moonie's not Fa's mom)

- LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE! (sorry, couldn't resist! :P: )

- Wow, those speech bubbles rock! It's a really cool touch!

- Are there any more quote marks besides the closing ones?

- It looks like someone punched Alvano in the cheek.

- Hoodie guy's got quite the jawline, but I like his attitude so far.

[spoiler=Prologue gamplay]- NICE WEAPON ICONS!

- Did Fatarass just miss an 88%?! AFKAJSFD;KLAJF;KLJADSFKLAJS;DLFJ RESTART!

- Okay, made it past the prologue. I had to down a bunch of tonics, and Fa got herself levels that would make Shin proud.

Is it recommended to download 1.1 before downloading the next update after?

I'm a bit worried about my hard work going missing if I wait with 1.0 for 1.2 update.(Seriously, fuck Chapter 5 and 6, and 8 to some extent. I CAN'T imagine what they'd be like in hard mode...)

No, don't worry. You should be able to pass from 1.0 to 1.2 without any problems. You don't have to download 1.1 if you don't want to.

[spoiler=chapter 7]KZB9Dlk.jpg

Well.... That's one rare and annoying glitch, I should say.

And as Rey said, unless someone can duplicate that, I'll have to consider that as an isolated case. ;o

There aren't any problems in my events that may cause that problem, so there is nothing I can do about it.

All I can do is give you a working save of chapter 7 so that you won't have to replay all the chapters. If you're interested, send me a PM.

I'm really sorry. You've been unlucky...

So I just made an account to say that I really like your work here ^^

I'm currently at chapter 5x and managed to get past chapter 5 on my own (including getting all the items in the chapter *yay*) and wanted to say that you did a good work.

The music is really fitting and I especially like the 8bit version of Bravely Defaults "That Persons Name is" whenever I enter a boss battle.

The thing i like the most would be the characters. I love Shioris designs and natures although it bothers me a bit that Shiori's already at lvl 20 :/

I also noticed that you use German words for some items/characters which I'm also fond of since thats my mother tounge.

Keep up the good work Alfred :D

Thank you very much, Keks! ^^

And congrats for making it through chapter 5 without following the tutorial!

I'm glad you like Shiori. I'm sure you won't be disappointed by her development.

And yes, I use some German names there too! ^^ Schwarz, Weiss, Klingensturm, etc.

It's cool to have another German person commenting here! (IIRC Fateborn is German too)

JUST got the new patch. What I'll do is play through everything once, then see what applies to Known Issues, and reword it accordingly.

I'm going to go through this patch bit by bit, and note things down as I go.

[spoiler=Intro screens]- "Magvel quite changed?" I'm not sure what you're trying to express here.

- I'm. . .not sure what I think of Moonie as a name. Onward!

- Phoebe looks absolutely badass. Hope we can recruit her~!

- I can't help but giggle at Holon the Hollow King. REALLY nice mug on him, though.

- The placeholder mug strikes! That's awesome!

Overall: The voice changes here and there (do you want a narrator or someone who the player is conversing with?), but it's a good start!

[spoiler=Prologue start]- Minor nitpick here. "Can" and "may" can be used interchangeably in "You (blank) go", but the latter makes her sound a little less, uh, condescending. I'm not sure what her full character is like, so choose whichever one you think fits her the best!

- Whoa. The first few lines between Moonie and Fatarass sound. . .really abrupt. Like they're barely on speaking terms. "Is this how you greet me, Fa?" is actually. . .pretty good, but after saying "come here", I'd expect Fatarass to be slightly crass (now you may shoot me).

- The mood swings are pretty abrupt. They go from an icy greeting to Fa screaming to Moonie trying to be more sympathetic. This CAN work, but it depends on what you plan on doing with the story.

- Moonie gets a solid F in the Comforting Your Angsty Daughter category. :P:

- Agreed with Fa on that one! It's good that you've told us, the audience, about the past. . .but it feels forced.

- I'd be rather irritated if I was referred to as a "precious being". But. . .I'm not sure if Moonie's supposed to be the "nice queen but does not always express herself well" archetype. If she's meant to be stern but compassionate, maybe something a bit more family-oriented (unless Moonie's not Fa's mom)

- LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE! (sorry, couldn't resist! :P: )

- Wow, those speech bubbles rock! It's a really cool touch!

- Are there any more quote marks besides the closing ones?

- It looks like someone punched Alvano in the cheek.

- Hoodie guy's got quite the jawline, but I like his attitude so far.

[spoiler=Prologue gamplay]- NICE WEAPON ICONS!

- Did Fatarass just miss an 88%?! AFKAJSFD;KLAJF;KLJADSFKLAJS;DLFJ RESTART!

- Okay, made it past the prologue. I had to down a bunch of tonics, and Fa got herself levels that would make Shin proud.

Whoo, I like these kinds of posts! Seems a sort of let's play without a video. And without pics.

Now I'm making it sound like something uncool

[spoiler=About the intro]I know that Moonie sounds funny in English, but I'm quite attached to that name. It was the nickname of a person who meant a lot to me, and this is some sort of tribute towards her. Of course, she already knows of this project so changing her name now would be rather offensive.

I might change Holon the Hollow King's name though.

And it seems that everyone likes Phoebe. <3 She rocks!

[spoiler=About the prologue BeginningScene]Fa is just a little (?) whiny at the beginning of the story. She hates her life. And Moonie is just a very calm person who puts her country above everything else. Her relationship with Fa is meant to be ambiguous at this point of the story. All considered, the dialogue makes sense to me.

> No, there aren't any other quoting marks

> Glad you like the text bubbles. I should thank Ray for those. He was the one who told me about them back in the day.

[spoiler=Prologue gameplay]Glad you like the icons, Gabrielknight will be happy to hear that. ^^

@Rey: I think he tried to play the .ups file in VBA directly.

If that's the case, remember that you have to patch it first, Zemica!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

If it's a tribute to someone IRL, then feel free to keep Moonie as a name. :):

Oh, right, I'm on Hard Mode.

[spoiler=Chapter 1 thoughts]The warning was peachy, and the house I could get to gave me a much-needed tonic. Couldn't get to the house to the south, hope I didn't miss anything important. Hellios is going to carry this team harder than Garath in DoF, for no other reason than Rya's not doing that much damage (yet) and Blondie's got hit problems.

Oh, and because the boss decided to melee attack Rya, I got the Javelin.

Uh. . .NOW can I ship Fa and Hellios? PLEASE? What do you mean it's wrong, this is a FE board! :P:

Phoebe. . .is officially badass. In a really casual way.

Edited by eclipse

[spoiler=Chapter 1 thoughts]

Uh. . .NOW can I ship Fa and Hellios? PLEASE? What do you mean it's wrong, this is a FE board! :P:

I'd say that's a bad idea. . .

I'm sure everyone who saw the last chapter of this patch agrees with me.

I'm shipping Fa with Cattleya. :o

The house that you missed only has an iron sword which is useful for Hellios to preserve his Warp Sword without ending up using all Steel Sword that you'd need in chapter 3 and onward. (Although you do get another steel sword some point in that sequence.)

[spoiler=Completed Game thoughts]

Now that some of us finished the game, and what I presume to be the FINAL boss is revealed, are you sure you can preserve the bosses badassry without Hellios Demon King to stand in?

I'm sure it's possible and I believe in you, but it can be a hard process.

Edited by Fateborn

If it's a tribute to someone IRL, then feel free to keep Moonie as a name. :):

Oh, right, I'm on Hard Mode.

[spoiler=Chapter 1 thoughts]The warning was peachy, and the house I could get to gave me a much-needed tonic. Couldn't get to the house to the south, hope I didn't miss anything important. Hellios is going to carry this team harder than Garath in DoF, for no other reason than Rya's not doing that much damage (yet) and Blondie's got hit problems.

Oh, and because the boss decided to melee attack Rya, I got the Javelin.

Phoebe. . .is officially badass. In a really casual way.

*cough*Incest*cough*

Chapter 5x.... Why, oh why... OH WHY, do I have to continuously be RNG screwed? At any rate, I noticed something after playing chapter 5x probably 10 times (I keep getting RNG screwed). The troubadour girl (forgot the name) does not, and I mean DOES NOT EVER, gain any str stat. Is that, again, me just being RNG screwed, or is her str growths low?

Well.... That's one rare and annoying glitch, I should say.

And as Rey said, unless someone can duplicate that, I'll have to consider that as an isolated case. ;o

There aren't any problems in my events that may cause that problem, so there is nothing I can do about it.

All I can do is give you a working save of chapter 7 so that you won't have to replay all the chapters. If you're interested, send me a PM.

I'm really sorry. You've been unlucky...

Nah, you don't need to be sorry - being on an isolated case makes me feel special >.<

Quick notes as I run through Chapter 2:

[spoiler=Actual gameplay stuff from Chapter 2]JrReaoM.png

Is that supposed to happen? Didn't have a chance to hop out and test the new one.

The northern house (the one in walking distance of the vendor) has a portion of the text that scrolls by really fast. Is that intentional?

Quick notes as I run through Chapter 2:

[spoiler=Actual gameplay stuff from Chapter 2]JrReaoM.png

Is that supposed to happen? Didn't have a chance to hop out and test the new one.

The northern house (the one in walking distance of the vendor) has a portion of the text that scrolls by really fast. Is that intentional?

Kamon already answered these two.

The ballastic was fixed in 1.1v

while the house one is intended due to being a blattermouth that you just want to leave.

Kamon already answered these two.

The ballastic was fixed in 1.1v

while the house one is intended due to being a blattermouth that you just want to leave.

Indeed...I totally got Paper Mario flashbacks when I saw that...which isn't a bad thing at all!

Now for the text that everyone should see...

Nice work on the project, AK! I eagerly await future installments.

Edited by DrPikachu