[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

If it's a tribute to someone IRL, then feel free to keep Moonie as a name. :):

Oh, right, I'm on Hard Mode.

[spoiler=Chapter 1 thoughts]The warning was peachy, and the house I could get to gave me a much-needed tonic. Couldn't get to the house to the south, hope I didn't miss anything important. Hellios is going to carry this team harder than Garath in DoF, for no other reason than Rya's not doing that much damage (yet) and Blondie's got hit problems.

Oh, and because the boss decided to melee attack Rya, I got the Javelin.

Uh. . .NOW can I ship Fa and Hellios? PLEASE? What do you mean it's wrong, this is a FE board! :P:

Phoebe. . .is officially badass. In a really casual way.

Thanks for understanding. ;)

[spoiler=chapter 1 comments]Sure thing, you can ship them. Incest pls

I take no responsibility for what happens next, though.

And it seems everybody likes Phoebe! Hooray! o/

[spoiler=Completed Game thoughts]

Now that some of us finished the game, and what I presume to be the FINAL boss is revealed, are you sure you can preserve the bosses badassry without Hellios Demon King to stand in?

I'm sure it's possible and I believe in you, but it can be a hard process.

[spoiler=Completed Game thoughts]Thank you for your trust, my friend. ;)

And yup, I'll come up with something great; eventually.

*cough*Incest*cough*

Chapter 5x.... Why, oh why... OH WHY, do I have to continuously be RNG screwed? At any rate, I noticed something after playing chapter 5x probably 10 times (I keep getting RNG screwed). The troubadour girl (forgot the name) does not, and I mean DOES NOT EVER, gain any str stat. Is that, again, me just being RNG screwed, or is her str growths low?

Str isn't her best stat, yeah.

Her Str growth is quite low. Not too low, though.

Is it just me, or did I really hear Ganon's Boss theme from Ocarina of Time in this game? Forgot what chapter it was on...

I think it's just you...

Quick notes as I run through Chapter 2:

[spoiler=Actual gameplay stuff from Chapter 2]JrReaoM.png

Is that supposed to happen? Didn't have a chance to hop out and test the new one.

The northern house (the one in walking distance of the vendor) has a portion of the text that scrolls by really fast. Is that intentional?

Ah... Then I have a favor to ask. Please try to download this patch and verify if the problem still persists.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lss7ksyrkt7sta5/chapter2test.ups

Thank you very much, eclipse.

(again, I ask you to do this because it works fine on my part)

Indeed...I totally got Paper Mario flashbacks when I saw that...which isn't a bad thing at all!

Now for the text that everyone should see...

Nice work on the project, AK! I eagerly await future installments.

Thank you very much! ;)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this patch, the ballista is behaving as expected!

I'm keeping this run, because my levels are far superior, and I managed to snag everything worth getting so far (beginning of Chapter 2).

With this patch, the ballista is behaving as expected!

I'm keeping this run, because my levels are far superior, and I managed to snag everything worth getting so far (beginning of Chapter 2).

Thank you very much, eclipse.

I've updated the download link in the first post.

Now nobody should experience the same problems with that ballista, hopefully.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Is the opening scene music the LoZ OoT opening music? It sounds so familiar. Also I LOVE the shop music

Edit: In chapter 1 during Rya and Cristopher convo when they join the map, Rya calls him Christopher. You might wanna be careful about spelling it the same way

Edited by B.Mage

I'm currently playing Chapter 3

Just a little though of mine : DAT statsheet background. It is clean, beautiful, not too fancy and still pretty nice.

You can add me in Pheobe's fanclub.

Puledra... Is not senile at all. He's exorcist but more in the Scary Movie's way 8D

But he has lower stats than Jeigan.

Fa is pretty cool as protagonist. I can't wait to see what awaits her in the future. (She'll be able to chane herself into Demon king and crush everything blahblha... Maybe not. )

I really enjoy musics and portraits, they're mostly pretty well done. ( I noticed a bunch of character waiting to have their own portraits like Moonie or few boss since they are only re-colorated mugs. )

Maps are nice but maybe a bit too large. ( In the chapters 1-2-3 I only used like 1/4 of the map )

Now about ... Fa's stats.

High Magic - ok

Medium Skill/Speed - ok

High Luck - ok

Aaaaand...

High def - uh..

Low MagDef - uh...

Like at level 7 she has these stats :

HP 22

Mag 13

Tech 8

Vit 7

Luck10

Def 9

Res 4

Soon as tanky as Hellios . Iguessit'sbecauseshe'safatass

Pretty unusual defensive stats for a young girl character. Even more for a mage!

But that's only my point of view xD

The difficulty is pretty nice too. Not too hard not too easy. Just enough to have fun with you big and nice work !

( oh i remember that in the very first Text, Moonie is informed the " Prince " has arrived instead of Princess. )

I only played till chapter 3 so I'll be posting again about what I think of this beautiful work of yours! Keep it up!

I'm getting the Chapter 5 restart-freeze bug, as well (this is the ballista-fix patch). Using VBA.

The plot is interesting, though there are a few moments that make me hesitate a little. . .

[spoiler=Chapter 3 stuff]Garion's speech with Fatarass, for one. Shiori amuses me, though.

Edited by eclipse

I know i haven't given much feedback besides praise, but that's because I've been enjoying this hack so much! I've also haven't had many glitches or issues that happened to me either, so I suppose I am fortunate for that.

So yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying this hack Alfred, great job on it! ^_^

Difficulty wise, I feel this hack is quite well-balanced, even though having Helios like a pseudo-Seth almost makes a lot of the hack manageable. Maybe tone down his EXP gain a bit? He's around level 13 for me on Chapter 6 and I've been using him every chapter yes, but also I've been spreading my EXP around to everyone, and he just gets so much EXP. Unless he is able to promote later on? He just seems really strong; just my two cents about him.

Also, I managed to not recruit the two characters you are able to in Chapter 2 because I wanted to route the whole Chapter 2 map (which I did btw, with one turn to spare >3); I was quite surprised when I had found out that I had missed out on some units haha.

#IsNotResetingForThatAndWillSeeHowFarICanGoWithoutThoseTwoUnits

Anyway, the main reason why I'm posting about this right now is that I found a gamebreaking glitch on Chapter 6, and I didn't see anyone talk about this yet; I went ahead and recorded/uploaded footage of this happening in-game so that you can see this happen and know how to temporarily fix it if it happens to you.

Basically if you place one of your units in a tile where the Other Units will spawn, the game will freeze on you.

Best thing to do is to just avoid these tiles altogether until it gets patched, but if it does happen to you, you can just use the Rewind feature on your emulator if it has one to quickly revert to before the glitch happened, or if you have a save state relatively close to before it happened, it will work as well. I've used both methods; it doesn't mess up the game.

Just want to let you know about this glitch so you can fix it when you can.

Hope it gets even better! ^_^

Edited by John

Congrats on release~ I'm loving it so far, the music is absolutely fantastic. Specially dat battle preparations theme. Urgh, so perfect.

[spoiler=Chapter 7 stuff]Is there some sort of trick to this chapter? I know where are the enemies coming from, but Shiori is just dying in two hits :/ or do I just suck at FE in general???

Also, I seem to find our myrm kinda hard to use. I deployed them once, and they're just kinda...there. Twiddling their thumbs in the background or something cause they didn't do much orz

Congrats on release~ I'm loving it so far, the music is absolutely fantastic. Specially dat battle preparations theme. Urgh, so perfect.

[spoiler=Chapter 7 stuff]Is there some sort of trick to this chapter? I know where are the enemies coming from, but Shiori is just dying in two hits :/ or do I just suck at FE in general???

Also, I seem to find our myrm kinda hard to use. I deployed them once, and they're just kinda...there. Twiddling their thumbs in the background or something cause they didn't do much orz

have her use candle. The monsters are using anti light weapons. And use pillars instead of bottleneck.be sure to use judgelight on skeletons with devils.

Edited by Fateborn

[spoiler=solution]Go on the left pillar and equip Judgelight to ORKO the first two monsters. The third can be dealt with via Flash or Judgelight. The Big Eyes require Candle. For the big threats I recommend just running Hellios up there.

Also I discovered the hidden item in Chapter 6 completely by accident. Made that one house on the coast useless :P Would have visited the other if Hellios didn't crit the boss.

Can I just say how amazing this hack is! I've thouroughly enjoyed myself playing it!

I downloaded the v1.1 patch and am facing the error others had earlier in ch4 with Garion not appearing on turn 4.

[spoiler=screens]fe_midnightsun01.pngfe_midnightsun05.png

The left screen is from the first run of the chapter (did not save in prep) and the second is the second playthrough after a suspend/chapter restart.

Something I thought of was that maybe I need to stop skipping the talking sections in the chapter? Could that be the cause of the bug?

Also, the fog tends to discolor some of the tiles by making them go yellow. It does this for the plain tiles as well (i didnt get screens)

I can send you my save if you would like to look into it.

Thanks for creating this enjoyable hack!

I finished the demo and I thought that it was a pretty fun experience. Recruited everyone except for Cattleya.

The story was kind of on the cheesy side but the twists were pretty well done.

Excluding Hellios, my best character was probably Weiss since he was both hard hitting and durable while the worst one was probably Sae'rah since she didn't really do anything much until when I gave her a piece of Dark Flesh so that she wouldn't be weighed down by practically everything.

Best chapter was easily Chapter 8 while the worst one was Chapter 5 because it just felt tedious once you figure out the gimmick.

One thing though, was the Steel Lance in Ide's armory intentional?

The choice of language in this game makes me wonder if English is your native language. I mean no offense nor disrespect, but there's a couple of things that I've noticed so far. I'm only on Chapter 2.

First off, the word 'vassal' refers to someone who has sworn fealty to a liege lord. Such as a landed knight being sworn to his King or Lord. I think the word you meant to refer to Fa was Vessel, which is something that is used to hold something else. Like how a bowl is a vessel for soup, or a boat is a vessel for people or cargo.

Second off, military terminology. The rank of corporal is a fairly low rank, in many most armies. A corporal is the lowest level of enlisted leadership, usually directly overseeing newly enlisted soldiers. They're not even part of the officer corps. I think that a Captain would be more appropriate a title for someone leading the kind and numbers of troops in these chapters. An officer with leadership training and experience.

I realize that this is a game, and it's meant to be enjoyable, but seeing these errors is picking at me, and breaking my sense of immersion... and I can't be the only one.

The choice of language in this game makes me wonder if English is your native language. I mean no offense nor disrespect, but there's a couple of things that I've noticed so far. I'm only on Chapter 2.

First off, the word 'vassal' refers to someone who has sworn fealty to a liege lord. Such as a landed knight being sworn to his King or Lord. I think the word you meant to refer to Fa was Vessel, which is something that is used to hold something else. Like how a bowl is a vessel for soup, or a boat is a vessel for people or cargo.

Second off, military terminology. The rank of corporal is a fairly low rank, in many most armies. A corporal is the lowest level of enlisted leadership, usually directly overseeing newly enlisted soldiers. They're not even part of the officer corps. I think that a Captain would be more appropriate a title for someone leading the kind and numbers of troops in these chapters. An officer with leadership training and experience.

I realize that this is a game, and it's meant to be enjoyable, but seeing these errors is picking at me, and breaking my sense of immersion... and I can't be the only one.

TC's first language is Italian, which is why I'm going after grammatical things first - they're easier to explain/fix.

Finished Chapter 5, got to Chapter 5x, and need to figure out how to do this without pounding my head into a wall.

have her use candle. The monsters are using anti light weapons. And use pillars instead of bottleneck.be sure to use judgelight on skeletons with devils.

[spoiler=solution]Go on the left pillar and equip Judgelight to ORKO the first two monsters. The third can be dealt with via Flash or Judgelight. The Big Eyes require Candle. For the big threats I recommend just running Hellios up there.

Also I discovered the hidden item in Chapter 6 completely by accident. Made that one house on the coast useless :P Would have visited the other if Hellios didn't crit the boss.

Thanks, finally beat the chapter. Guess I just freaked out cause of the big red text and just tried to hold the chokepoint.

Y-yeah, I've been meaning to point this out, it doesn't bother me much, but I wasn't sure how to bring it up ;_;

TC's first language is Italian, which is why I'm going after grammatical things first - they're easier to explain/fix.

Finished Chapter 5, got to Chapter 5x, and need to figure out how to do this without pounding my head into a wall.

Ah, that explains it. Not that I blame her(him?). English is a strange bastard of a language.

And if you can't keep your head from hitting walls, may I perhaps recommend a pillow between your head and the wall? You'll save money on plaster for the walls and ice-packs for your concussion.

And if you can't keep your head from hitting walls, may I perhaps recommend a pillow between your head and the wall? You'll save money on plaster for the walls and ice-packs for your concussion.

Cinder block apartments represent!

I've been executing the strategy of GO UP on most chapters. That. . .doesn't quite work on 5x, so I need to figure out how to do it without killing off everyone on the second turn. It also doesn't help that. . .

[spoiler=Chapter 5x stuff]Shiori's running a bit low on her weapon, and I didn't give her anything else. However, the chapter's objective of assassination is amusing, though I really, REALLY wanna wipe that armor off the face of Magvel.