[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

finished up what you had done, and i have to say that i am very pleased with the results.

only real things i think would need improvement is chapter 7, which i feel is trial and error with what groups of enemies move and which don't, also especially the first turn cause you don't know how many enemies there are at your starting position, its very easy to die when doing this blind because not only do you lack vision on most of the enemies, your spread out so you might not have the man power to stay alive.

also the boss placement is just cruel, its foggy, its moves, its magic based, and it has two butt buddies with it, since nobody has magic defense in this except archer and bishop, and chances are your not moving archer girl on the front lines and you've ditched bishop for mounted healer girl, whoever scouts this is dead, the movement range of the boss and his buttbuddy's are about the sight range of your guys with a torch, so its highly unlikely the player is gonna realize they sent one of thier poor units into a deathtrap they can't have seen ahead of time. (and saint girl but she might be busy defending the obejctive area if you move fast enough to the boss).

its the only chapter in the game where i went "thank god i have save states", every other map i felt was perfectly balanced and unique.

i did have a close call with beating 5x, it requires near perfect play from yourself and making sure you don't get RNG screwed, but i had a fun time with it, it was designed to be a puzzle that you had to execute flawlessly, which is more then what i could say for chapter 7 which seemed like something from ragefest.

also chapter 6 was hilarious with how useless the npc's were except the General, i know npc's aren't meant to be anything outstanding, but for me they were getting manhandled by the knights.

i can see the newspaper now "peaceful town knights clobber the mounted units of the world's strongest kingdom, they had to send their best general just to beat the peaceful town knights."

the wall of text aside, i loved the characters, all the maps that weren't chapter 7, and the story.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently playing Chapter 3

Just a little though of mine : DAT statsheet background. It is clean, beautiful, not too fancy and still pretty nice.

You can add me in Pheobe's fanclub.

Puledra... Is not senile at all. He's exorcist but more in the Scary Movie's way 8D

But he has lower stats than Jeigan.

Fa is pretty cool as protagonist. I can't wait to see what awaits her in the future. (She'll be able to chane herself into Demon king and crush everything blahblha... Maybe not. )

I really enjoy musics and portraits, they're mostly pretty well done. ( I noticed a bunch of character waiting to have their own portraits like Moonie or few boss since they are only re-colorated mugs. )

Maps are nice but maybe a bit too large. ( In the chapters 1-2-3 I only used like 1/4 of the map )

Now about ... Fa's stats.

High Magic - ok

Medium Skill/Speed - ok

High Luck - ok

Aaaaand...

High def - uh..

Low MagDef - uh...

Like at level 7 she has these stats :

HP 22

Mag 13

Tech 8

Vit 7

Luck10

Def 9

Res 4

Soon as tanky as Hellios . Iguessit'sbecauseshe'safatass

Pretty unusual defensive stats for a young girl character. Even more for a mage!

But that's only my point of view xD

The difficulty is pretty nice too. Not too hard not too easy. Just enough to have fun with you big and nice work !

( oh i remember that in the very first Text, Moonie is informed the " Prince " has arrived instead of Princess. )

I only played till chapter 3 so I'll be posting again about what I think of this beautiful work of yours! Keep it up!

Hey, thank you very much for the feedback! =)

I'm very glad you're enjoying the hack so far!

[spoiler=random stuff that isn't really a spoiler]Yeah, Faratrass is meant to be tanky. I wanted her to be some sort of magical Hector, protecting herself with dark magic and curses, haha.

About the "Prince" issues... I'm pretty sure the text is right (at least in my script and in my game). Gimme pics or that never happened. ;o

I'll be waiting for more of your feedback.

Since you're apparently using that one str/mag patch that swaps the according to weapon, I have a suggestion. Change Str and Mag to Pow, just a random suggestion (that makes me feel better). :E

That's a sweet suggestion, I might consider that. Thanks, Lindsy.

I know i haven't given much feedback besides praise, but that's because I've been enjoying this hack so much! I've also haven't had many glitches or issues that happened to me either, so I suppose I am fortunate for that.

So yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying this hack Alfred, great job on it! ^_^

[spoiler=comments and glitch in ch.6]Difficulty wise, I feel this hack is quite well-balanced, even though having Helios like a pseudo-Seth almost makes a lot of the hack manageable. Maybe tone down his EXP gain a bit? He's around level 13 for me on Chapter 6 and I've been using him every chapter yes, but also I've been spreading my EXP around to everyone, and he just gets so much EXP. Unless he is able to promote later on? He just seems really strong; just my two cents about him.

Also, I managed to not recruit the two characters you are able to in Chapter 2 because I wanted to route the whole Chapter 2 map (which I did btw, with one turn to spare >3); I was quite surprised when I had found out that I had missed out on some units haha.

#IsNotResetingForThatAndWillSeeHowFarICanGoWithoutThoseTwoUnits

Anyway, the main reason why I'm posting about this right now is that I found a gamebreaking glitch on Chapter 6, and I didn't see anyone talk about this yet; I went ahead and recorded/uploaded footage of this happening in-game so that you can see this happen and know how to temporarily fix it if it happens to you.

Basically if you place one of your units in a tile where the Other Units will spawn, the game will freeze on you.

Best thing to do is to just avoid these tiles altogether until it gets patched, but if it does happen to you, you can just use the Rewind feature on your emulator if it has one to quickly revert to before the glitch happened, or if you have a save state relatively close to before it happened, it will work as well. I've used both methods; it doesn't mess up the game.

Just want to let you know about this glitch so you can fix it when you can.

Hope it gets even better! ^_^

WOW! I wish that all the bug reports were like this one. ;_;

Thank you SO much, John! Indeed that's something really easy to fix. ^^ I'll do that ASAP!

[spoiler=About Hellios' balancing]It's fine the way he is, and you'll find out why.

I'm glad you're enjoying the hack. ^^

Can I just say how amazing this hack is! I've thouroughly enjoyed myself playing it!

I downloaded the v1.1 patch and am facing the error others had earlier in ch4 with Garion not appearing on turn 4.

[spoiler=screens]fe_midnightsun01.pngfe_midnightsun05.png

The left screen is from the first run of the chapter (did not save in prep) and the second is the second playthrough after a suspend/chapter restart.

Something I thought of was that maybe I need to stop skipping the talking sections in the chapter? Could that be the cause of the bug?

Also, the fog tends to discolor some of the tiles by making them go yellow. It does this for the plain tiles as well (i didnt get screens)

I can send you my save if you would like to look into it.

Thanks for creating this enjoyable hack!

Did you talk to him in chapter 3?

Oh nm, I see you've solved the problem.

And you're welcome! Thank you for playing it!

I finished the demo and I thought that it was a pretty fun experience. Recruited everyone except for Cattleya.

The story was kind of on the cheesy side but the twists were pretty well done.

Excluding Hellios, my best character was probably Weiss since he was both hard hitting and durable while the worst one was probably Sae'rah since she didn't really do anything much until when I gave her a piece of Dark Flesh so that she wouldn't be weighed down by practically everything.

Best chapter was easily Chapter 8 while the worst one was Chapter 5 because it just felt tedious once you figure out the gimmick.

One thing though, was the Steel Lance in Ide's armory intentional?

Thank you for the feedback, glad you had fun. ;)

And yeah, chapter 5 was just... an experiment.

And yup, that Steel Lance was intentional.

The choice of language in this game makes me wonder if English is your native language. I mean no offense nor disrespect, but there's a couple of things that I've noticed so far. I'm only on Chapter 2.

First off, the word 'vassal' refers to someone who has sworn fealty to a liege lord. Such as a landed knight being sworn to his King or Lord. I think the word you meant to refer to Fa was Vessel, which is something that is used to hold something else. Like how a bowl is a vessel for soup, or a boat is a vessel for people or cargo.

Second off, military terminology. The rank of corporal is a fairly low rank, in many most armies. A corporal is the lowest level of enlisted leadership, usually directly overseeing newly enlisted soldiers. They're not even part of the officer corps. I think that a Captain would be more appropriate a title for someone leading the kind and numbers of troops in these chapters. An officer with leadership training and experience.

I realize that this is a game, and it's meant to be enjoyable, but seeing these errors is picking at me, and breaking my sense of immersion... and I can't be the only one.

Seconding what eclipse said, my native language is Italian.

About the word "Vassal": That's intentional, I know what a Vassal is, I've done my research. That's just one of the docs I checked, but quoting from there...

"vassal, in feudal society, one invested with a fief in return for services to an overlord."

Please take note that all of this is kinda metaphorical, and that the term "Vassal" in Magvel has quite a different meaning from the one we may intend.

In this particular case, the Vassal dedicates her life to (keep in check) the Demon King, and she receives prestige in return (her people love her... at least for the first five minutes of the hack lol). A Vassalage ceremony also is in the game.

"In a fully developed vassalage, the lord and the vassal would undertake a commendation ceremony composed of two parts, thehomage and the fealty, including the use of Christian sacraments to show its importance."

Similarly, in the game some gifted people can become Vassals of the Demon King through the Vassalage ceremony, composed of two parts, the "seal" and the "magic", including the use of sacred devices (the Soul Mirror) or people with sacred powers (Shiori).

It's all explained in the next chapters, you'll see.

And I like the term Vassal, so I won't change it.

I can't say the same for military ranks, though. I'm glad you pointed that out.

If 'corporal' doesn't suit them well, I'm open for suggestions. 'Captain' might work as well.

It just seemed a bit...too much for some chapter 2 bosses.

That said, thank you for your critiques.

I've been executing the strategy of GO UP on most chapters. That. . .doesn't quite work on 5x, so I need to figure out how to do it without killing off everyone on the second turn. It also doesn't help that. . .

[spoiler=Chapter 5x stuff]Shiori's running a bit low on her weapon, and I didn't give her anything else. However, the chapter's objective of assassination is amusing, though I really, REALLY wanna wipe that armor off the face of Magvel.

Yay. Chapter 5x requires some strategy indeed. and a bit of luck

[spoiler=chapter 5x]That's why Anna gives you that Flash tome if you visit her in the house!

...And there's also a droppable Light somewhere in the chapter (one of the reinforcement shamans has it).

And lol @Saai comment

finished up what you had done, and i have to say that i am very pleased with the results.

only real things i think would need improvement is chapter 7, which i feel is trial and error with what groups of enemies move and which don't, also especially the first turn cause you don't know how many enemies there are at your starting position, its very easy to die when doing this blind because not only do you lack vision on most of the enemies, your spread out so you might not have the man power to stay alive.

also the boss placement is just cruel, its foggy, its moves, its magic based, and it has two butt buddies with it, since nobody has magic defense in this except archer and bishop, and chances are your not moving archer girl on the front lines and you've ditched bishop for mounted healer girl, whoever scouts this is dead, the movement range of the boss and his buttbuddy's are about the sight range of your guys with a torch, so its highly unlikely the player is gonna realize they sent one of thier poor units into a deathtrap they can't have seen ahead of time. (and saint girl but she might be busy defending the obejctive area if you move fast enough to the boss).

its the only chapter in the game where i went "thank god i have save states", every other map i felt was perfectly balanced and unique.

i did have a close call with beating 5x, it requires near perfect play from yourself and making sure you don't get RNG screwed, but i had a fun time with it, it was designed to be a puzzle that you had to execute flawlessly, which is more then what i could say for chapter 7 which seemed like something from ragefest.

also chapter 6 was hilarious with how useless the npc's were except the General, i know npc's aren't meant to be anything outstanding, but for me they were getting manhandled by the knights.

i can see the newspaper now "peaceful town knights clobber the mounted units of the world's strongest kingdom, they had to send their best general just to beat the peaceful town knights."

the wall of text aside, i loved the characters, all the maps that weren't chapter 7, and the story.

Thank you very much for playing the hack.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Also, thank you for your critiques on chapter 7, I find them reasonable enough.

While I don't agree with you about the very first monsters in the chapter (I mean, you can scout them pretty easily, there are lots of NPCs that help you near there, and even if you die it's not a big deal since you've only played 1 turn) the complains about the boss were understandable. I might just remove (one of) the two Big Eyes that accompany it, and make it stronger eventually.

About the enemies movement... some of them are just meant to guard the place. This was specifically designed for those players who move around carelessly or love to scout the terrain by sending an unit in all directions before confirming.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I know everyone already said it, but this hack really is great !

Gameplay wise, it's challenging, but never seemed unfair. Partially thanks to the clear description of what you're supposed to do.

I'm on chapter 6 now, but I have just a question before I continue. I realized I forgot to take the Napalm on Chapter 5. Will I be able to find another one later ? Will the Magic Arrow be buyable at all.

I started playing on day 1, but then a storm deleted all my play files in chapter 2, just when Cattleya appeared (It just show how strong she is).

Anyway, good luck for the rest. I'll see what the other chapters will reserve. I'm rady to be surprised.

Oh. I almost forgot.

At some point on chapter 5, I died, and the upper city level events started playing on the opening screen. That isn't a problem, and happened only once (Version 1.0), so this is probably not important.

So I've ran into a problem here I think :/

I've just finished chapter 8, followed shiori and started a skirmish in the Za'ha woods. Everytime when I kill a monster I get a game over screen which is kinda strange. Additionaly my Schwartz and a monster started on the same spot. If someone could tell me how to post a picture here I could show you

Edit: I noticed that I just have to move to get the game over screen D:

I hope the spoiler tag worked:P I'm also going to tell you later what my opinion on the hole game is

Edited by Keks_Krebs

I've just made it to chapter 5.

First of all, love how you did the fake-out with the silver-axe wielding super centaurs at the bottom.

As for Chapter 5, ugh. Currently in a position where I can't get past the upper guard without entering the longbow guard's range, and the lone safe spot is one space outside our movement range.

Edited by Xtremekiwi

Ah, finished the demo of the hack ... never felt so good ^^

Wow ... that plot in chapter 8, it kind of surprised me.
When the boss says game over and summons a horde of minion ... I killed them >.> But it was super hard!

Interesting writing nonetheless.

Any chance you can give the growth rate of each character? I want to see if my luck fairs against the average.

Good work, though I might replay to see if I can reproduce that ch 7 bug/glitch

So I've ran into a problem here I think :/

I've just finished chapter 8, followed shiori and started a skirmish in the Za'ha woods. Everytime when I kill a monster I get a game over screen which is kinda strange. Additionaly my Schwartz and a monster started on the same spot. If someone could tell me how to post a picture here I could show you

I hope the spoiler tag worked:P I'm also going to tell you later what my opinion on the hole game is

It ends if you go to initiate any battle after chapter 8 - the patch ends there :O

Oh snap - double post, forgive me everyone...

Edited by Ancora

I usually don't enjoy playing hacks, but this is the first one i've enjoyed playing in a long time!

Just a couple of (very) minor things, I don't know if its intentional, but the enemies Hellios is supposed to deal with in the prologue don't trigger the whole "no i don't wanna kill my brainwashed countrymen" scene with Faratrass, I know you're technically not supposed to fight them with her, but they still are her countrymen right?

The myrmidon seems pretty weak compared to most of your other units excluding Sae'rah (and maybe Djambo? I didn't recruit him), Maybe its because there aren't a ton of axes in the earlygame and the enemies are a lot better defensivley then they are fast? I just found her offence to be useless without Killing Edges, and she was one of if not the squishiest member of the team, and had to fight in melee range.

Weiss also hit level 20 pretty fast for me. Idk how far after you were planning on introducing a promotion item, but I think he capped halfway through chapter 7.

Great hack though! I had some issues initially reading the white item text on the background of the stat screen initially, but I got used to it and it wasn't a problem.

I knew there was a reason why Hellios gained exp so fast

EDIT: OH maybe tone down the number of Flash tomes in Chapter 6? (Sae'rah's chapter, I think it was 6). It's pretty annoying having enemies that all have crit on your units, and this early when HP and Res stats are really low some units are prone to just getting oneshotted, even a unit like Christoph who has good luck even faces crit chances. The barrier staff is down south with two units that don't mind eating a flash crit as well, and you only have three uses of the pure water equivlent item (the name slips my mind right now..) Usually the higher level light magic doens't appear till much later. Its just you're bound to get crit at least once when you get attacked multiple times at 3-10% crit, and when it either oneshots you or comes close (Along with the high enemy density in the chapter, it pretty much just turns into a death you couldn't do anything about.

Edited by General Horace

WOW! I wish that all the bug reports were like this one. ;_;

Thank you SO much, John! Indeed that's something really easy to fix. ^^ I'll do that ASAP!

[spoiler=About Hellios' balancing]It's fine the way he is, and you'll find out why.

I'm glad you're enjoying the hack. ^^

Hehe, I thought having video footage of it would be much more helpful overall~ ^_^

Glad to help you patch up the hack.

And I can't wait to find out! eventhoughi'mpartiallyspoiledalreadyfromlurkingthisthreadtoomcuhlol><

Time to review:

Ok let's start of by saying that the hack is very well made, you can pat yourself on the back Kamos, very good. The difficulty is hard sometimes too hard baut it manages to stay quite fair (most of the time).

Story: I think the story starts of as a typical fire emblem story with fa forced to run away, but that changes over time. I really liked the story and the ending. Hellios true self caught me by suprise because I thought that he is going to develope into an ephraim kind of character. I think that the cliffhanger at the end is well done. The best part of SS was that you could choose which path you are going after a certain point so I'm glad you brought that in^^ (love that I can follow shiori)

Chapters: Nice chapters including a diverse collection of objectives. I loved chapter 5x, the music, the objective, the characters, well done. I had no serious problems with the infamous chapter 5 but maybe you could design the level slightly easier. What really bugged me was chapter 7... seriously F*** chapter 7. that bastard of a level screwed me over so many times. either one of my charas died because I wanted them to get the levels or shiori died because of bad luck.

Characters: the custom mugs of the characters are well done and there are mostly memorable characters. I have not met a character which I absolutly hate like in some original FE games *cough*Meg*cough*. Sadly there are some characters who don't get much "screentime". For example I have no idea what cattaleas personality is like. I hope that I get to know the characters more through the support conversations.

As for the stats I only have problems with christoph and Cattalea. Christoph really needs to go to the eye doctor, he can barely hit something. I really love swordsmen and women but Cattaleas stats turned out terribly, she was killed by almost every enemy. Weiss was just Op, enough said.

For Faratrass I was reminded of Micaiah because the people loved both of them and they're both mages but I think thats just me :P. All in all I like her as the protagonist :). As for Hellios, really loved the Dimensonal magic (hope he's not the only one able to use it because you know...)

The character I loved the most was probably Shiori. But I have to say that i liked the blind eyed shiori better than the red eyed one.

Music: *clap* clap* for the music really well done. It's fitting and memorable. Espacially "This is my Crisis" and "This is my resolve", those are some good tunes. Sad is that the regular "attack" music is kinda boring in my opinion:/

Bugs: Fortunatly or Sadly I did not ran into any Bugs :|

You did a good work on that hack and I'm really looking forward to playing the rest of the chapters ^^

I hope I didn't make any mistakes, if I did than I'm sorry :P

Edited by Keks_Krebs

MFW

Um, I talked to Sae'rah (with Andre) after visiting the Village (With Andre), and She didn't recruit, but spawned more enemies, is that supposed to happen?

Edit: She just Attacked Andre and killed herself, god dammit

Edited by B.Mage

Ah, finished the demo of the hack ... never felt so good ^^

[spoiler=Final chapter]Wow ... that plot in chapter 8, it kind of surprised me.

When the boss says game over and summons a horde of minion ... I killed them >.> But it was super hard!

Interesting writing nonetheless.

Any chance you can give the growth rate of each character? I want to see if my luck fairs against the average.

Good work, though I might replay to see if I can reproduce that ch 7 bug/glitch

[spoiler=Final chapter of demo (spoiler)]Eheh! I'm glad you liked it!

Huh, you managed to beat the final wave? Congrats.

Sure thing, I'll publish the growth rates in a few weeks.

I just want people to play this without knowing them for a while.

And thanks, that'd be great.

I usually don't enjoy playing hacks, but this is the first one i've enjoyed playing in a long time!

Just a couple of (very) minor things, I don't know if its intentional, but the enemies Hellios is supposed to deal with in the prologue don't trigger the whole "no i don't wanna kill my brainwashed countrymen" scene with Faratrass, I know you're technically not supposed to fight them with her, but they still are her countrymen right?

The myrmidon seems pretty weak compared to most of your other units excluding Sae'rah (and maybe Djambo? I didn't recruit him), Maybe its because there aren't a ton of axes in the earlygame and the enemies are a lot better defensivley then they are fast? I just found her offence to be useless without Killing Edges, and she was one of if not the squishiest member of the team, and had to fight in melee range.

Weiss also hit level 20 pretty fast for me. Idk how far after you were planning on introducing a promotion item, but I think he capped halfway through chapter 7.

Great hack though! I had some issues initially reading the white item text on the background of the stat screen initially, but I got used to it and it wasn't a problem.

I knew there was a reason why Hellios gained exp so fast

EDIT: OH maybe tone down the number of Flash tomes in Chapter 6? (Sae'rah's chapter, I think it was 6). It's pretty annoying having enemies that all have crit on your units, and this early when HP and Res stats are really low some units are prone to just getting oneshotted, even a unit like Christoph who has good luck even faces crit chances. The barrier staff is down south with two units that don't mind eating a flash crit as well, and you only have three uses of the pure water equivlent item (the name slips my mind right now..) Usually the higher level light magic doens't appear till much later. Its just you're bound to get crit at least once when you get attacked multiple times at 3-10% crit, and when it either oneshots you or comes close (Along with the high enemy density in the chapter, it pretty much just turns into a death you couldn't do anything about.

Well, I'm glad you liked it!

[spoiler=General comments, spoilers]About the soldiers in the prologue. You're right, but that's a very little detail most player won't notice. I just don't want to use one extra battle convo text ID because I'm already low on them... And, anyway, in order to beat the chapter Faratrass WILL always trigger that dialogue.

There's one thing I could do for sure: give a "Talk" command to Faratrass. It's stupid though, because she'd just get killed on the following turn even if story-wise it makes sense Oh, you can do this already with the weaker enemies, did you know? ;)

So hmh, I think I'll just leave it like that...

Was Cattleya weak? Really? You're not the first who says that, and it kinda confuses me. I think she was ok... anyway, I'll boost her stats a little. Maybe some more Res could come in handy. Not sure if I should boost her Str, she's a female myrmidon after all. Ah, and chapter 3 has a lot of axes.

I think Sae'rah is weak because she has to catch up with the others and she doesn't have enough chapters to do so. Djambo is really good if you train him.

Also, Weiss is supposed to replace Hellios somehow, that's why he's a little OP and high-leveled.

Hm, not sure about the Flash tomes, because then the monks wouldn't be a treat at all. I might consider that though, you have a point.

Thanks for playing and enjoying Midnight Sun! ^^

Nice comment too, it was really interesting.

Time to review:

[spoiler=General review (spoilers)]Ok let's start of by saying that the hack is very well made, you can pat yourself on the back Kamos, very good. The difficulty is hard sometimes too hard baut it manages to stay quite fair (most of the time).

Story: I think the story starts of as a typical fire emblem story with fa forced to run away, but that changes over time. I really liked the story and the ending. Hellios true self caught me by suprise because I thought that he is going to develope into an ephraim kind of character. I think that the cliffhanger at the end is well done. The best part of SS was that you could choose which path you are going after a certain point so I'm glad you brought that in^^ (love that I can follow shiori)

Chapters: Nice chapters including a diverse collection of objectives. I loved chapter 5x, the music, the objective, the characters, well done. I had no serious problems with the infamous chapter 5 but maybe you could design the level slightly easier. What really bugged me was chapter 7... seriously F*** chapter 7. that bastard of a level screwed me over so many times. either one of my charas died because I wanted them to get the levels or shiori died because of bad luck.

Characters: the custom mugs of the characters are well done and there are mostly memorable characters. I have not met a character which I absolutly hate like in some original FE games *cough*Meg*cough*. Sadly there are some characters who don't get much "screentime". For example I have no idea what cattaleas personality is like. I hope that I get to know the characters more through the support conversations.

As for the stats I only have problems with christoph and Cattalea. Christoph really needs to go to the eye doctor, he can barely hit something. I really love swordsmen and women but Cattaleas stats turned out terribly, she was killed by almost every enemy. Weiss was just Op, enough said.

For Faratrass I was reminded of Micaiah because the people loved both of them and they're both mages but I think thats just me :P. All in all I like her as the protagonist :). As for Hellios, really loved the Dimensonal magic (hope he's not the only one able to use it because you know...)

The character I loved the most was probably Shiori. But I have to say that i liked the blind eyed shiori better than the red eyed one.

Music: *clap* clap* for the music really well done. It's fitting and memorable. Espacially "This is my Crisis" and "This is my resolve", those are some good tunes. Sad is that the regular "attack" music is kinda boring in my opinion:/

Bugs: Fortunatly or Sadly I did not ran into any Bugs :|

You did a good work on that hack and I'm really looking forward to playing the rest of the chapters ^^

I hope I didn't make any mistakes, if I did than I'm sorry :P

[spoiler=Final comments]Thank you very much! ^^

I'm glad you liked the hack!

Yeah, I think Cattleya didn't have much screentime, but she'll have some more eventually. Same for other characters.

Oh, and support conversations will be a thing in the next release, so... that will help.

Ahahah yeah chapter 7 is quite difficult.

Thanks again!

MFW

[spoiler=chapter6] Um, I talked to Sae'rah (with Andre) after visiting the Village (With Andre), and She didn't recruit, but spawned more enemies, is that supposed to happen?

Edit: She just Attacked Andre and killed herself, god dammit

[spoiler=chapter 6]You probably supended/restarted the chapter after visiting the village. That's a known issue that I pointed out in "Known Issue.txt" (it comes in the patch folder).

I'll be fixing that in v.1.2 anyway, I've found a way to get around that problem.

Maybe you could boost Cattleya's Speed by a point or two? 11 Speed on a low-level myrm chick is pretty weak, she was getting doubled by dogs in Ch4 with the Steel Sword equipped. If she could double more enemies with steel, her offense would be better. Also doesn't help that Schwarz uses swords and can fly to boot.

[spoiler=chapter 6]You probably supended/restarted the chapter after visiting the village. That's a known issue that I pointed out in "Known Issue.txt" (it comes in the patch folder).

I'll be fixing that in v.1.2 anyway, I've found a way to get around that problem.

Yeah, I Restarted it, But then I resumed via Savestate, so I have her now~

Edit: I'm Already in love with Menmus, omg, His stats, and that he is a Wyvern <3, Can you like do Fa X Menmus on supports ;-;

Edit 2: You have the Victory Music being played before it's just the boss left. (I think it's because the Reinforcements, so the music pretends they're not there, despite they joined a turn early)

Edited by B.Mage

Bumping Cattleya's con by one might like a con as well would help that too, so she doens't lose AS from killing edges.

But yeah for a Myrm, her speed was pretty bad. She beat an equally levelled Christoph by 2 speed for me, (although i get the impression that he's supposed to be a glass cannon anyway).

Hm, I think you have an incorrect SFX used in the Archer animation. When an archer (talking about Rya, so the female animation) crits, the spinning arrow plays an, ah, "Heavy Lift" sound? It's the sound used (prominently) in Hectors Great Lord animation. I've only had her get crits while using magic arrows, so I dunno if it's just the magic arrow animation or what.

Also, Hellios' ranged warp sword animation makes the screen jump if the enemy counters with a ranged attack. (noticed this the most on the chapter 2 boss, with his handaxe, you need to rush to) Just minor things you may have fixed already anyway, hahaha....

Edited by L95

I've just completed chapter 5x and, dear lord, the RNG was not kind to me today. Just to see how much so, I've decided to write down the battle hit rates and whether thy hit/miss. Of course, the one time I decided to write it down the RNG decided to not be a colossal jerk. Anyway, I'll still post it in spoilers (FYI, if it's Hit/Miss ##% Weapon, it's the enemy, whereas if it's Weapon ##% Hit/Miss, it's one of my units.)

Miss 58% Steel Lance --- Halberd 85% Hit

Klingensturm 86% Hit

Hit 59% Short Axe --- Short Axe 71% Hit

Hit 60% Short Axe --- Short Axe 70% Hit

Hit 60% Short Axe --- Short Axe 70% Hit

Halberd 70% Hit

Miss 47% Short Axe --- Judgelight 100% Hit + 18% Crit

Hit 68% Steel Axe --- Halberd 74% Hit

Miss 53% Horseslayer --- Judgelight 100% 16% Crit

Hit 60% Steel Sword --- Judgelight 100% Hit + Hit

Lancereaver 78% Hit

Hit 42% Steel Axe --- Halberd 78% Hit

Miss 33% Short Axe --- Klingensturm 76% Hit + Hit

Klingensturm 78% Hit + Hit

Halberd 78% Hit

Miss 26% Short Axe --- Judgelight 97% Hit + 17% Crit

Miss 54% Iron Axe --- Halberd 78% Hit

Klingensturm 96% Hit + Hit

Short Axe 78% Hit

(Asra) Hit 46% Short Axe --- Short Axe 70% Hit

Hit 38% Short Axe --- Short Axe 72% Hit (There we go! The RNG was oddly tame)

(Asra) Miss 34% Short Axe --- Judgelight 100% Hit + Hit

(Asra) Hit 70% Short Axe --- Halberd 72% Miss

(Asra) Hit 85% Axereaver --- Halberd 42% Miss

Miss 44% Short Axe (Would have killed Weiss if it hit)

(Asra) Judgelight 100% Hit + Hit (Asra killed)

Halberd 72% Hit

Miss 43% Vortex --- Short Axe 79% Hit + Hit

Miss 50% Umbra --- Short Axe 75% Hit

Miss 38% Vacuanox --- Short Axe 81% Hit + Hit

Miss 41% Vacuanox --- Short Axe 78% Hit + Hit

Short Axe 81% Hit

Klingensturm 96% Hit

Miss 40% Vortex --- Flash 100% Hit + Hit

Miss 43% Vortex --- Short Axe 79% Hit

Hit 50% Umbra --- Short Axe 55% Hit (I guess eventually one had to hit)

Miss 45% Vortex --- Short Axe 77% Hit

Light 100% Hit

(Raymur) Miss 50% Silver Lance --- Halberd 81% Hit (One-hit kill)

Hit 44% Short Axe (After my good string of dodges, of course)

Of course, the one time I started to write this data down, the RNG decided to not be cruel. I've had times where four ~40% attacks would hit Weiss in a row.

I had to re-write all that manually because for some reason pasting didn't work.

Edited by Xtremekiwi

Apparently. . .

[spoiler=Chapter 5x stuff]If you diddle around in the beginning of Chapter 5x too long, it's a Game Over.

. . .which causes the same black screen issue as getting a Game Over in Chapter 5. Note that this problem ONLY occurs if a Game Over is reached via what I did in the spoiler tag.

Edited by eclipse

Maybe you could boost Cattleya's Speed by a point or two? 11 Speed on a low-level myrm chick is pretty weak, she was getting doubled by dogs in Ch4 with the Steel Sword equipped. If she could double more enemies with steel, her offense would be better. Also doesn't help that Schwarz uses swords and can fly to boot.

Yeah, I'll probably do that.

I just need to make her better, especially because she's quite tricky to get and I want to reward the player accordingly.

sure, she's not as tricky to get as Karla in FE7...

Edit: I'm Already in love with Menmus, omg, His stats, and that he is a Wyvern <3, Can you like do Fa X Menmus on supports ;-;

Edit 2: You have the Victory Music being played before it's just the boss left. (I think it's because the Reinforcements, so the music pretends they're not there, despite they joined a turn early)

I don't know, but that's a possibility indeed.

Also, the Victory Music on that chapter is supposed to play when there are 3 or less enemies left on the map.

Hm, I think you have an incorrect SFX used in the Archer animation. When an archer (talking about Rya, so the female animation) crits, the spinning arrow plays an, ah, "Heavy Lift" sound? It's the sound used (prominently) in Hectors Great Lord animation. I've only had her get crits while using magic arrows, so I dunno if it's just the magic arrow animation or what.

Also, Hellios' ranged warp sword animation makes the screen jump if the enemy counters with a ranged attack. (noticed this the most on the chapter 2 boss, with his handaxe, you need to rush to) Just minor things you may have fixed already anyway, hahaha....

Yeah, that's true. Is that disturbing at all? I thought it could work with that spinning movement she does...

As for Hellios, there's very little I can do about that.

Apparently. . .

[spoiler=Chapter 5x stuff]If you diddle around in the beginning of Chapter 5x too long, it's a Game Over.

. . .which causes the same black screen issue as getting a Game Over in Chapter 5. Note that this problem ONLY occurs if a Game Over is reached via what I did in the spoiler tag.

Ok, so I think that the problem lies within the "Game Over" macro in the Event Assembler.

I'll try to use the original code used in vanilla FE8 and let you know.

Btw, is it normal that the short axe has 112 hit ? xD

Bandits hit you 100% with that uber handaxe!

wat

I think you just broke the game

Damn, yes, I'm starting to want Menmus x Fa myself :3

[spoiler=Part story spoiler so careful]Menmus seems to replace Franz and Helios seems to replace Seth

Is it possible to switch them around so Menmus can have support capabilities with Fa? I mean, he made her cry those innocent tears ;O

[spoiler=Chapter 5]I managed to rob the red ruby and get away ^^ With all the treasure as well.

Took 28 turns though :(

Edit: Finished chapter 5x Weiss lvl 20 o.O

Edited by Ancora

Slowly cracking away at this...I had really written myself into a corner once or twice, surviving by the skin of Fa's teeth, but despite it all, my playthrough still lives...

[spoiler=In case this knowledge must remain secret]All because I want to keep hearing that victory music lifted from Trails in the Sky. yaayyy "Target Vanquished!"

As a Falcom fan, this is totally a reward...even though it makes the wait for the release of the First and Second Chapters on Steam even harder.