[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Speaking of the link arena, Menmus has the boss icon as a NPC. (very minor, but I just happened to notice)

Working as intended, Menmus is a boss.

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. Hard mode actually is fairly tricky, especially when you want to find all those lovely events.. x3

Loving the music - every tune is just plain awesome! Where is the title screen one from?

Graphics are also beautiful, although on my screen the status background took a bit to get used to due to the lower contrast with text.

Overall, simply amazing. I heartily recommended this to all my FE fan friends as well ^^

Edit:

[spoiler=Glitch in Chapter 2] Beating Tirado on the Last Turn by attacking him will trigger Cattleya to appear twice - no kidding, there came two of them and both said the same thing. ...I am playing the second 1.0 version, though, so that might be already fixed.

Edited by mmKALLL

[spoiler=Chapter 6 and 7?]Love how Saai has that Soul Mirror that shines green - I can't steal it

NOOOO!

Probs some plot item or something... *sigh*

Menmus is too strong, my lucky growths made him into a beast ^^

But, it seems skill is an occurring shortage in my growths :/ That luck

19str 9skl 9spd - Cristoph

20str 15skl 15spd - Menmus o.O

[spoiler=chapters 6-7]Yeah, the Soul Mirror will be relevant plot-wise.

Hm, you get to know something on it at the end of chapter 7.

....Wut, slow Cristoph and fast Menmus?

dat RNG.

Menmus never turns out good in my playthroughs. ;_;

(Y)

Wow.. Hard mode actually is fairly tricky, especially when you want to find all those lovely events.. x3

Loving the music - every tune is just plain awesome! Where is the title screen one from?

Graphics are also beautiful, although on my screen the status background took a bit to get used to due to the lower contrast with text.

Overall, simply amazing. I heartily recommended this to all my FE fan friends as well ^^

Edit:

[spoiler=Glitch in Chapter 2] Beating Tirado on the Last Turn by attacking him will trigger Cattleya to appear twice - no kidding, there came two of them and both said the same thing. ...I am playing the second 1.0 version, though, so that might be already fixed.

Thank youu! ^^

Yeah, that glitch has been fixed in v. 1.1.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Okay, finished my second run of the game using VBA

[spoiler=My experiences (VBA)]Helios stop taking my exp! .<

There was a glitch where you couldn't visit any house in chapter 5 in order to progress - I sorted this out by resetting the emulator via the "file" table on VBA emulator (I'm sure this was already said)

For any who experience the characters being in the same position as zombie mobs, without using another save file, you might have to take out the weaker members and make sure your team is strong enough to survive first wave. It would appear that the characters are place away from their usual formation.

Q: Did you use VBA emulator to create the save file you used for chapter 7?

Edit : Well...somehow most of my text got cut out :(

Edited by Ancora

Okay, finished my second run of the game using VBA

[spoiler=My experiences (VBA)]Helios stop taking my exp! .<

There was a glitch where you couldn't visit any house in chapter 5 in order to progress - I sorted this out by resetting the emulator via the "file" table on VBA emulator (I'm sure this was already said)

For any who experience the characters being in the same position as zombie mobs, without using another save file, you might have to take out the weaker members and make sure your team is strong enough to survive first wave. It would appear that the characters are place away from their usual formation.

Q: Did you use VBA emulator to create the save file you used for chapter 7?

Edit : Well...somehow most of my text got cut out :(

Were you playing Hard mode when that glitch on chapter 7 occurred?

Yes, for both runs - hope this info helps :)

It does help, because all the reports came from people who were playing on hard mode (I still didn't receive any confirmation from eclipse, but as far as I know she was playing on HM too), so it's almost certain that it's a bug related to that mode.

I'll see if there's something mode-related in the original events of chapter 7.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Just a query. How far do you plans on taking this hack to in amount of chapters?

Same as Sacred Stones.

20 chapters with route split within chapters 9 and 14, + skirmishes (with extra maps) + Tower of Trials + Ruins of ??? (I've yet to decide the name)

Hey this hack is a LOT better than i thought it would be, but i did notice one thing. When I'm managing my items, whatever item is on fa's first slot, that item's last digit on the usage looks weird and also affects all the digits of the same kind. For example if i have umbra as the first slot and it has 32 usages left, then the 2 looks weird and affects all the other 2s on everyones inventory.

In Chapter 5x, I felt really accomplished for killing saai before the two paladins but i think this created a paradox seeing as the game crashed after i killed the last paladin when saai was already dead lol

Other than that, this hack is fantastic and keep the good work up!

Rainbow Skittles, on 26 May 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

Is it even possible to change the number of chapters in FE8?

As far as I know, no.

Because of the world map, mainly.

If you don't follow the world map events accordingly, the game crashes.

But some chapters don't use the world map. The examples I can think of; Ch. 5x follows on from Ch. 5 with no world map between, that monster filled fortress on Eirika's route leads straight into Caer Pelyn, and the ghost ship of Ephraim's route leads straight into Landing at Taizel. I'm fairly sure Jehanna palace goes straight onto Eirika's version of Scorched Sands as well. Basically, two consecutive chapters at a location, something that also happens in the Tower and Ruins. Could this method be used for more chapters, perhaps hijacking/repurposing excess Valni/Lagdou/Skirmish levels if necessary? Or is it strictly limited to those particular points in the campaign?

...Why am I even asking? Alfred would probably run out of text pointers if he wasn't careful...

In Chapter 5x, I felt really accomplished for killing saai before the two paladins but i think this created a paradox seeing as the game crashed after i killed the last paladin when saai was already dead lol

What? How the heck did you manage that? I couldn't even dent him without being slaughtered!

L95, on 26 May 2014 - 3:57 PM, said:

Speaking of the link arena, Menmus has the boss icon as a NPC. (very minor, but I just happened to notice)

Cattleya's got it too. Of course, I seem to be the only person with a viable Cattleya...

Garion hasn't got it though, so it's not purely based on the character being a boss.

Edited by Wayward Winds

Garion hasn't got it though, so it's not purely based on the character being a boss.

Probably because you recruited him when he was a green unit without the boss symbol.

What? How the heck did you manage that? I couldn't even dent him without being slaughtered!

What i did is i had shiori keep luring him towards the river (he attacks in range) with judgement equiped which does 4 damage. I would run back and keep healing with mends while saai keeps chasing and attacking shiori who only does a max of 27 damage with the silver lance. So i lure him to the river, which since i didnt kill both lieutenants it would just tell me that i cant escape, so that way i can wall him off until he gets close to dying by shiori. Afterwards when his health is low he would go to the fort and i followed him with all three units. I used the power +2 item on weiss and gave him the klingensturm. After his health was high enough, i made him move one tile to the left of the fort since he cant go on hills/mountains. shiori was below him taking damage from the silver lance and countering with the judgement 4 damage and weiss would completely block him off by going to the fort and constantly attacking with the klingensturm doing about 11ish damage. I would keep healing with mends and elixirs as well. Then after i killed him i ended up with pretty much no weapons or anything to heal myself with lol. Luckily Saai had no elixirs. p.s. this was on normal mode

Needless to say... my full party.

5rEPRF8.png

5qNMW0n.png

YQ9jlyf.png

DmE9N6V.png

cCp85v4.png

Np5uWNL.png

85pqE0K.png

jB5MEaA.png

4L7X7uE.png

ni04SWZ.png

hPNm9QD.png

7UPnLN5.png

Fe7Xnbp.png

Benched the two rookies. I only liked Sae.

More or less benched Black Pony and Crisptoh

Still pissed that Weiss didn't cap str. ~.~

Edited by Fateborn

Just played this through to the end of the first patch, which I believe is Chapter 7 correct? Anyways, I have to say, I'm VERY impressed. Not often do you see a hack of FE8 work this well and this smoothly. Dialogue could use a bit of work here and there, but that's just my own personal preference. Each unit, except a few who I will get to later, felt useful, and the chapters felt very creative and very doable. As a side note, nice job making use of the world map, using it more to your advantage than trying to find various ways around it. Keep up the good work!

Anyways, character thoughts below the cut.

Alright let's start off with Faratrass. As a unit, she's fantastic. I LOVE Dark magic, and it's very interesting to see a Shaman-style lord. Her growths seem to gear somewhat similar to Eliwood's, being all around good with a little less than desirable resistance. Other than that, she's a fantastic unit, able to double reliably and kill most things in one round. Character-wise, I'm a fan. She seems to feel very real, down to Earth, and after going through the trauma she does, her reactions seem natural, unforced. All around, good job! No stat shot because oops chapter 8.

Next up, the Warp Knight, Hellios

Again, no stat shot because lolololChapter 8. Anyways, he's..oh god he's the second coming of Seth I'm in love with the unit. Very rarely does he need to be healed, and when he does, it's because of unfortunate RNG shenanigans. Not much needs to be said for unit. Character-wise...Interesting idea with the half-brother thing, I'm just..ehhhhhh not a huge fan. I mean I like the guy, I just don't like the coincidence here. He seems cool otherwise though.

It's everyone's favorite Archer(oh wait she's our only one so far), Rya.

http://gyazo.com/79f09a94fdb8ec9c94fa64cebc9e0b8f

Bloody SF not wanting me to post pictures...ANYWAYS, Rya's a good archer. Interesting concept with the Elemental Bows, very nice. She's a fairly speedy and dodgy archer, with HOLY COW WHY DOES SHE HAVE SO MUCH RES. Seriously she has more res than my Andre! Mage killing unit. Very nice. She's cool as a character too. Take no crap Princess. Surprisingly savvy too. Good job!

The Holy? Axeman, Christoph!

http://gyazo.com/385a96219114375d3665f2050105cedd

Alright let's get the unit thing out of the way quickly...HE IS GOD WITH AN AXE. HOLY CRAP THAT SPEED. SERIOUSLY. HE DOUBLES DAMN NEAR EVERYTHING. AND HITS FAIRLY RELIABLY. WITH STEEL AXES. BOW TO YOUR AXE GOD MORTALS.

In all seriousness, I like his character too. Hidden depths and all that. Also really, holy axeman? Yes please. Give me someone with more attitude than Libra and you have me sold.

Perverted Priest? You want em, we have Puledra

http://gyazo.com/03cecf6cced0246482bd75ba78352db4

He's..average. He's an okay pre-promote, and your only light magic user until Shiori..who is already level 20. Oh boy. He's also your only staffbot and he's good at his job. Use him. Maybe your stats will be a tad better than mine. Anyways, characterwise...He's quirky and I love him and MONOCLE PRIEST GOGO

Trainee Numbah One, Andre

http://gyazo.com/fc749ed1e08f092b4774003cfbbdd8e3

Right so I must be crazy since I seem to be the only person who makes Andre into a Mage. I was just never a huge fan of the Super Trainees in SS so...Yeah. Also he is amazing and oh my god Andre I love you but please get like two more points of defense. Also he's the pupil of Puledra. Suave kid he be. I hope he continues being as badass as he is because oh man.

The Turncoat Wyvern Rider, Menmus

http://gyazo.com/18886f3377d1ad6442a9796a9947bbd0

..I was very very sad with how my Menmus turned out, so sad that I promptly benched him after one chapter. Used him for the sneaking mission of course but...Well..he turned out fairly bad for me. Just take a look at that speed. 5 Speed. Why. WHY IS HIS BASE SPEED FIVE?! He's so sloooooowwww. And his strength cannot justify it! Not nearly tanky enough at that speed. I love his character but...uuuuuugh he's so baaaaad...at least for me. I hope I'm just an anomaly here.

The Tricky Myrmidon, Cattleya

http://gyazo.com/6aa6dd10dbe8b4497d857e0df7b3ecff

Well...She could be good? Maybe? I dunno. My first two levels with her were res only. And then mostly everything. Can't say much other than standard myrm shenanigans. Interesting recruitment. Very cool. Charcter-wise...she kind drops off the face of the earth after her recruitment. Kinda sad really. She seemed cool.

The Blind(ing) Light, Shiori

And now we come to you Shiori. No link because well...her stats are the exact same no matter what. Prodigy class and level 20 with Light Magic. She's a good unit, a tad on the frail side but fairly good. Character-wise..I have theories. I won't say them but I have theories. She seems to know far more than she should, and have far more connections than she should. Besides..Judgelight? That sounds...regal.

The Reformed Bandit, Garion

I have not touched him. At all. Give your axes to Christoph and sit on the bench good sir. He seems like a good unit though, more skill than Christoph to be sure. Character-wise, he seems like a smarter Gonzales from FE6. I like Gonzales. I like Garion. Too bad CHRISTOPH SMASH.

Trainee Numbah Two, Djambo(Unchained?)

http://gyazo.com/f3f255a30e98b22f9b2eb9abb5aa108e

He seems similar to Ross, but a tad weaker overall. Not a bad trainee to be sure. I'm going to send him down whatever isn't the Super Trainee line is if the other option isn't Fighter. I'm not a huge fan of Warriors. Regardless, he's a cool kid. AWESOME name too...Please tell me at some point in development of him there was a Djambo Unchained joke. You didn't miss that opportunity I'd hope.

The Pony Lover, Schwarz

Well...He got benched. Just..I dunno what happened. Just never used the Pony Lover. LOVE the guy though. Seriously he made me chuckle a bit. Maybe on another playthrough I'll give him a shot.

The White Knight, Weiss(I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE)

http://gyazo.com/e1441789678b35c17383d375b424bbb5

Well...to put it simply..he's god on a horse. Seriously this man is BEASTLY. If you aren't using him, what in the hell are you doing?! He's a cool cat character-wise too. ..I WANT MY PROMO ITEMS Q_Q

The Young? Troubadour, Ceapana

http://gyazo.com/91dbff6b24e7d70dc03472e4b29082c7

Ooohlala. Swordydour~ Very nice. I'm curious to see how you made the staves work? I assume the Stave level is tied to her Sword Level? Same with Magic and Strength. That's an interesting solution. She's a fairly good unit as well. The Wind Sword is a very nice gift for her. She's cool as lady too. I like her design a lot. ..Also seriously she's older than Fa? Wuuuuuut

The Thief on a Mission, Lepto Letruffe

http://gyazo.com/a8189124e47fbad7c8e7b6ec3e0bd8e1

Oh boy a Thief I LOVE THIEVES. Ahem. Anywave, he's a good Thief. Dodgy, hits hard enough to matter, and more importantly, comes with a Lockpick. And a C in swords for that lovely Killing Edge he wields oh boy oh boy oh boy! He's a cool character, with a good recruitment. Gives you an incentive to wait out the chapter a bit. Besides, who doesn't love a thief with a code of honour?

As one more thing, I never got the Link Arena chapter..I got Chapter 8 and my cursor is forever stuck on the right. Might wanna get that looked at.

Here's my entire party at the beginning of chapter 7:

168xx87.png

She may not tank well, but she's turning out quite well, I'd say. She may not tank, but she hits like one.

1zbaoo6.png

I...may not have given him as much attention as I should have. Still, not all is lost. Stat-wise, he's really squishy, but he hits fairly well.

kb6tmo.png

Not great, but she's good for ranged attacks. She is also a good magic tank. Maybe that's just my general like of archer units due to them turning out quite well talking.

a41zls.png

Aside from low skill, Menmus is quite solid as a unit. Hits hard, accurately and can tank well. Granted, magic still tears him apart and he can't double well, but I'm sure a (INSERT NAME OF SPEEDWING REPLACEMENT) will fix him up.

2ujryfp.png

I...may have overused Hellios. Still awesome, though, even if his level-ups weren't very kind (mostly just HP, one of Str/Spd/Def and one of Luck/Res.)

4vpwnd.png

He's got a fair bit of health, which is good as he keeps getting attacked by everything. He hits hard and is fairly quick, but he's very inaccurate.

o9o4rd.png

Oh god, even worse skill than Cristoph. How is it even possible for a peg to have such low skill? Still, good strength, spd and can even tank fairly well, though arrows tear him completely apart.

nqqsdw.png

Good stats + heals on a horse. Nothing more needs to be said.

8zmb0y.png

Oh god...the RNG was NOT kind to Weiss as far as level ups are concerned...guess that's the price for getting good luck with dodges in 5x.

bfpbwh.png

I need to try and feed some kills to her to get her the remaining 2 level-ups. Shame she's so squishly, though...

xdk08.png

THERE's the proper Jaigen prepromote. He had utility as the first healbot, but Ceapana officially benched him.

15dqf7s.png

I may have tried using him more, but he doesn't have good speed and no resistance. Alas, I've got plenty of good axe-users at the moment, so, sorry Djambo.

2mx1vrr.png

I like myrms, but I know they're hard to use. Same deal here...she just can't deal enough damage without a killing edge (limited uses) or a steel sword (quite heavy). Which is a shame, I'd really like to use her.

9tzdy9.png

Compared to Cristoph, he's got more skill and defence, but less strength and speed. I'll take the latter two over the former.