[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I kinda fell in love with this hack. I like the new style and absolute hilarity of some of the characters and scenes. The maps are amazing. Although, some are troubling (chapter 5 I'm looking at you). The sprites are pretty cool. (Though i'm excited for the custom sprites coming soon I hope.) Overall though its just amazing. Thanks for all the hard work to everyone who's worked on this and I hope the new patch comes out soon.

[spoiler=Obligatory Stat posting!]

G65GPdf.png

Fa is High Tier, so good. I love the fact she has defense instead of resistance. Pretty adorable.

XI5XdFZ.png

Shiori is such a great unit, I'll make sure to use her whenever I can. Too cute.

fvwfxId.png

It's not a Fire Emblem without a godly shota mage and Andre sure delivers. Perfect unit.

9AmKLZR.png

Rya is a great unit. I've always liked archers and always used them in every Fire Emblem I've played. Too good. I love her interactions with that fool, Cristoph.

WJq8sGW.png

Puledra is a badass gentleman who gives alcohol to youngsters, nukes monsters, heals wounds, and peeps on babes. #LiteralSexMachine

qAGtRXa.png

Cattleya is such an amazing myrmidon. I used the Luckos' Fang on her.

0nNFEFI.png

Cristoph is subpar, but I'm going to use him anyway because I like his mug and his personality.

EOW5eq3.png

Djambo is an okay axeman, but I think he'll pick up later.

zeuQjkZ.png

Schwarz is a male pegasus knight, so I automatically have to use him. And he has great stats, too.

way4G2x.png

Ceapana is very cute and very useful.

PxIBlsJ.png

Sae'rah is a great unit, and I can't wait to promote her.

cUMgP6a.png

Weiss is a great unit, though I wish he had gotten more speed. Plus, he's hot.

A3TgbnR.png

Letruffe is a thief. Meh.

ALhEcyc.png

Menmus is bad, his speed is terrible, so I couldn't even use him.

8RGV8bf.png

Garion was very bad for me, so I dropped him as well.

You already know how I feel about the hack, Alfred.

Wow, who made those icons? They're absolute shit.

Chapter 7

[spoiler=This is silly]

pdu8GeX.png

I found it funny. Very evil soldier.

[spoiler=Response]

Alfred did actually wonder what would happen if a green unit reached that area, but we didn't have time to fully test it - I dropped Saai in it, with no result, but getting anyone to move there under their own steam seemed all but impossible.

[spoiler=Another script correction, Alfred]

Oh, and that should be a "has", not a "had". Text ID 0x0A28.

...Weird. I correctly spotted the issue first time round, but apparently missed the "wrong tense word" when going back through the screenshots in favour of correcting a flipping grammar error!

Anyway, "had" is past tense. You need present tense "has" here.

can anyone tell me how to recruit Sae'rah

Have Djambo or Andre visit the village in the upper left, then have they person who visited the village talke to Sae'rah

[spoiler=Response]

Alfred did actually wonder what would happen if a green unit reached that area, but we didn't have time to fully test it - I dropped Saai in it, with no result, but getting anyone to move there under their own steam seemed all but impossible.

The Only enemy left on the map were the Moggal/Big eye that appeared to the west of Shiori. The soldier got a few lucky dodges a couple turns earlier, and was moving to get to the enemies remaining on the map, if curious.

I'm back!

So i started playing this hack. Like a lot of people said already, this is an awesome FE hack.

I got to Chapter 5 and it was an interesting chapter to play, to say the least. I was impressed with how you executed that chapter.

It was so satisfying to beat this chapter and get all the houses. Managed to do this within 24 turns.

Hehehe thanks! I'm glad you like the hack, and chapter 5 in particular. That's one of the most controversial I've created after all. ;o

Sorry if this has been posted yet, but:

E1HgMbf.jpg

Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.

That dialogue plays against any enemy unit, and there's no female soldier portrait either, so I'll leave it as it is.

Schwarz: Also, that's sexist, why can't that be a girl?? Only men can have beards nowadays?? Tch.

check your privledges cis scum, my rya has 6 strength at level 12!

(note that the above is a parody and not meant to be taken seriously at all)

but yeah my rya never gained a point in strength i think, what is her strength growth?

35%

It's not even that low. You were really unlucky, man.

I just completed Difficult mode on this, so i suppose I'll share my thoughts and throw in a few stat screens.

FireEmblemMidnightSun01.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun05.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun03.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun09.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun04.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun02.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun13.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun14.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun06.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun07.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun08.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun10.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun12.pngFireEmblemMidnightSun11.png

No statboosters were used, so what you see is what I got.

Faratrass was as useful as always, especially in Ch6 with Olumbra still destroying Knights in one shot. Missed a 2HKO here and there but a switch to Olumbra usually solved that.

Rya's stats thankfully kept up, although she had a few damage woes early on with ordinary bows. The Strength let her OHKO a couple Big Eyes with iron as opposed to steel.

Of the three runs I've done so far this Christoph is easily the best, he was a godsend early on with his high Speed and made great use of the Bonecrusher in Ch7/8. That durability is worrying though.

Puledra is probably getting benched around the start of the next patch, but his Speed and durability held up throughout the patch. His healing was important as ever and the Light chip on monsters meant he could sit on the front lines.

Andre was decidedly mediocre: I think he's defensively blessed, but offensively screwed? Still, Anima magic was as valuable as ever and he still doubles some weighed down Skeletons.

Menmus' low Speed was much more apparent this time around; he was getting doubled by Skeletons in Ch7/8. I'll probably drop him for a later flier but it's still up in the air. At least he did reliable damage to Zombies and walls.

Enough's been said about Cattleya. I tried to use her over Hellios in Ch3, but the enemy waves were too strong without him and she was contributing the least. She knocked out Zombies Rya and Andre weakened in Ch4 and that's it.

There's only room for two on-foot axemen, and Christoph was on a roll. He chipped monsters in Ch4 and then was dropped in favor of Djambo.

Djambo is slowly turning into Rambo. It was tough to raise him in Ch6, he capped in Ch7 and Ch8 demanded my best players, but I think he'll catch up over the route split. Looks like he'll be better than Andre at Level 10.

Schwarz needs a Luck booster and maybe the Skill (it's him or Chris) but otherwise is golden. He made fine use of the Agile Estoc and in Ch8 the Solaris, and got some fantastic levels early on.

The White Death isn't as tanky as my others but made up for it in Speed. He was more clutch than in Normal mode, the top team needed him in Ch8 to survive the initial onslaught.

Ceapana saw more combat than normal in Ch5x due to more durable, even claiming one of the bosskills! Aside from that she more or less performed the same.

I wasn't planning on using Sae'reh because of how late she joins, but I had one last slot to fill in Ch8 and out of her, Cattleya and Garion I thought she'd be the most helpful. She was mostly clean-up crew for the initial wave; her stat gains were good so I might keep her.

Letruffe did his normal thief work and saw little combat. His Speed was worrying but it was high enough to steal the Wishbone in Ch8.

I took these after the Interlude so no Hellios, but just know that he was as godly as ever. Missed some kills early on with iron but this was helpful for the scrubs. Shiori on the other hand was having trouble with the increased enemy durability and Speed. She didn't double a lot of Cavs in 5x and Skeletons later and only three-rounded the Big Eyes in Ch7 with Candle. Oh, and Saai OHKOs her in the cutscene now. :P

Overall it's definitely a step above FE8's Difficult Mode, enemies can kill you quickly and don't die to a feather. That said, when you get around to balancing it I'd recommend preventing the enemy from gaining Defense and Resistance. Shiori especially has a hard time with boosted defenses: she failed to one-round a Mage in Ch3, many 5x Cavs were a 4HKO, and the aforementioned Big Eyes (a big deal considering they're a game over if they stop on the altar and the spaces that would prevent that are in the boss's range). I had to play by the RNG in a few places to get crucial hits or crits, and in one case burn a few RNs.

Aside from Cattleya I can name a few other characters that could use a buff:

+1 Speed for Garion

+1 Magic for Shiori

+1 Con to Sae'reh or the Soldier class

Unaltered Difficult Mode was fun, if frustrating in a few places. I dread to see promoted generics in the next patch though...

Thanks for the precious feedback!

[spoiler=chapter 5x ending]Wow, Saai killed Shiori in the cutscene? Seriously? Hahahah that's hilarious.

Did she appear in chapter 7 without any problems, after that?

Also I don't know how I could make Difficult Mode units gain less def/res. The stat boosts are done automatically by the game. I should use different units with different base stats in def and res and that would be... tedious to say the least.

I'll balance the game accordingly someday, but unfortunately that's not a possibility.

Also, do you get a better Menmus/Cattleya in Difficult mode?

Chapter 7

[spoiler=This is silly]
pdu8GeX.png
I found it funny. Very evil soldier.

AHAHAH!!

I can't believe someone managed to trigger that.

It seems it's about time for me to fix it.

Could you provide me with that save, Lindsy? I hope you haven't overwritten it yet... ugh.

Actually I kinda fell in love with this hack. I like the new style and absolute hilarity of some of the characters and scenes. The maps are amazing. Although, some are troubling (chapter 5 I'm looking at you). The sprites are pretty cool. (Though i'm excited for the custom sprites coming soon I hope.) Overall though its just amazing. Thanks for all the hard work to everyone who's worked on this and I hope the new patch comes out soon.

Thanks man! (Y)

I'm glad you appreciate our work.

[spoiler=Another script correction, Alfred]
Oh, and that should be a "has", not a "had". Text ID 0x0A28.
...Weird. I correctly spotted the issue first time round, but apparently missed the "wrong tense word" when going back through the screenshots in favour of correcting a flipping grammar error!
Anyway, "had" is past tense. You need present tense "has" here.

Sure thing, I'll fix that asap.

Thanks, friend. ;)

Also, I'm working on chapter 9B.

And I'm getting some crazy ideas already, both in story and in new chapter designs.

Hmmm... ready to meet a drunkard princess wearing heavy armour?

Hmmm... ready to meet a drunkard princess wearing heavy armour?

Oh, so that's what Tana's great, great, great, great (etc. etc.) granddaughter's become? What a waste of the Frelia royal gene pool...

Also, yes! Someone that you don't wince at sending against killer weapons!

Edited by Wayward Winds

Oh, so that's what Tana's great, great, great, great (etc. etc.) granddaughter's become? What a waste of the Frelia royal gene pool...

Also, yes! Someone that you don't wince at sending against killer weapons!

Don't we have Menmus and Weiss with Agile weapons to two-shot pretty much anything already?

Thanks for the precious feedback!

[spoiler=chapter 5x ending]Wow, Saai killed Shiori in the cutscene? Seriously? Hahahah that's hilarious.

Did she appear in chapter 7 without any problems, after that?

Also I don't know how I could make Difficult Mode units gain less def/res. The stat boosts are done automatically by the game. I should use different units with different base stats in def and res and that would be... tedious to say the least.

I'll balance the game accordingly someday, but unfortunately that's not a possibility.

Also, do you get a better Menmus/Cattleya in Difficult mode?

It had no effect on the gameplay, although if the hit happened earlier it might have crashed the game.

When you get around to actually balancing DM one thing you could try is assigning a set of growth rates to an unused class and having the routine use those growths for all bonus levels. That would allow you to prevent defenses increasing and would give more uniform stat boosts (i.e. enemies' high stats won't shoot up). But this is purely speculation; I have no experience hacking Fire Emblem. You'll eventually have to do something because of what FE8 NM does to enemy growth, but that's for another day. Plus seeing godlike promoted enemies in beta DM will be hilarious.

FE8 doesn't assign extra levels to recruitable enemies. I can assure you a base level Cattleya with bonus levels would be better than mine.

Don't we have Menmus and Weiss with Agile weapons to two-shot pretty much anything already?

Not my Weiss (strength too low) or my Menmus (speed way too low). Plus agile weapons have rather low might to counter their high crit. and brave effect. Put them against armoured foes, and they'll be reduced to scratch damage.

...What I assumed Alfred meant was that this "drunkard princess" happens to be a Knight. Someone who has the defence to survive a critical to the face, without having to rely on lucky crit's of her own to off the blasted killer bow + killer sword carrying knight before he crit's her.

...Incidentally, the knight boss of Ch. 6 used to carry those two weapons, meaning you weren't safe from any range. And he still had that halberd, so even a lance equipped Weiss was at serious risk. Hence why I wanted a knight of my own.

Faratrass and Shiori should be pretty much 1-shotting armors with their personal weapons, plus Hookblade and Bonecrusher do the job if needed.

Djambo? I thought he has been killed by zambies?

Can i recruit him & Garion?

How?

Edited by phuclun3

So i got around to finishing this hack and i must say that i can't wait for the next patch to come out! You did an awesome job with this.

But anyways, here were my characters after Chapter 8:

1Faratrass_zps21115894.png
She was a great unit for me to use. Speed was a bit lacking but it still made her double and whatnot. Her high defense makes her great for combat since she can kill a good amount of enemies before taking enough hits to need to get healed (although magic users rip her apart).

2Rya_zps3d0b4486.png

She was helpful with combat at times and does good against winged units, eyes and enemies with bad resistance. I'm a bit concerned about her strength though, i just hope it doesn't stay at 8 for too long...

3Cristoph_zps5a2be053.png

I didn't like this guy as a unit. He can't take many hits and he is prone to missing attacks. I rarely used him during the last chapters. Will most likely bench!

4Puledra_zps2d50f5d9.png

Good earlygame clutch. Helped out with healing but he's been benched since Ceapana is on my team.

5Andre_zpsb7dca2f8.png
Mage had good skill and speed, allowing him to double easily. I'm concerned that his magic won't go up and it may affect his performance for the worst.

6Menmus_zpsf91658eb.png

Decent Flyer to use, although a bit slow at the beginning. I don't know if i got RNG Blessed here or not but Menmus has a decent amount of speed!

7Cattleya_zps17411791.png

Decided to bench her since she kept getting bad levels (Lack of strength and speed in levels deterred me from training her further).

8Garion_zps6abefd26.png

Didn't like this guy either. He's better than Cristoph but the time he was participating in chapters, the odds were against his favor. Maybe i could have used him if i gave him more accurate weapons.

9Djambo_zps7bff61d8.png

Got him to Pirate by the start of Chapter 7. He's still having a bumpy start but his stats seem to be turning out decently so far!

10Schwarz_zps5fb2e626.png
Another Decent Flyer. In comparison to Menmus, he has better Speed and Strength but Menmus won in Defense and Skill. I'll most likely use both him and Menmus (unless i find a better flyer for the future chapters you have planned!)

11Weiss_zps1625ac9c.png
Great unit. Took down a lot of monsters in Chapter 7 & 8, especially when he got the Bonecrusher in his hands. A good unit you can depend on!

12Ceapana_zpsea65e55a.png
I may have overleveled her a bit but she is fantastic in combat. She ended up doing more fighting than healing. Might have been RNG Blessed but great unit!

13Saerah_zps96c4a111.png
A potential solder. I'll see how she does once the next version is released.

14Letruffe_zps4b52eb18.png
Didn't really do much fighting so i don't have much of an opinion on him. Your typical thief!

Didn't Display Shiori (doesn't level) up and i got Hellios to Lv 8 before he...

...left the party. You caught me by surprise when Hellios left... Because of plot reasons that i won't disclose here.

It's good that Shiori gets a new Judgelight tome after Ch. 8. I used it all up by chapter 8...

Well, i had fun with this hack.

Edited by Peppy

this one is one of the more easier ocharacters to get.

just have Fa talk to garion when he's the boss, then have shi recruit him next stage, djambo joins after the stage is over

Well... Garion needs to survive Ch. 4 as well. If he doesn't, Djambo does indeed get eaten, because apparently Garion's the only one with zombie-beating-reflexes.