[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Oi Alfred mi accingo a provare questa 1.6 al più presto, sono hyppato a bestia mi sembra un lavorone :Soldier:

PS: Ho un po' una crociata contro Fe FATES quindi sarò di parte, ma secondo me ciò che sei riusciuto a fare da solo e con l'aiuto di poche persone di buona volontà straccia 100 a 0 quello che hanno fatto Nintendo e IS negli ultimi due anni!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's highly functional to not show the Mov range of enemies that are supposed to, well, not move. Otherwise players tend to play safe around those units when they really shouldn't.

This is the only exception, because the bosses' AI changes through the battle, but it's also true that it's strongly implied in the dialogue. Asra says "I'll kill them if they dare to come any closer!". And when the AI changes, if you pay attention to it, you'll see that their Mov range has been updated and displays "8".

I see.

And yes I read the dialogue so their A.I. change is reasoned.

Nevertheless I still prefer to show the entire movement range of each enemy, because it forces you more to think (even if it's only for your first playthrough). You have to take each enemy seriously.

The other alternative would be to disable the enemy movement range like in FE10. (which could be a customized option)

whoops, sorry i missed the known bugs.txt file :(

i'll be more careful and read the all the info files next time :P

No worries! ^^

Oi Alfred mi accingo a provare questa 1.6 al più presto, sono hyppato a bestia mi sembra un lavorone :Soldier:

PS: Ho un po' una crociata contro Fe FATES quindi sarò di parte, ma secondo me ciò che sei riusciuto a fare da solo e con l'aiuto di poche persone di buona volontà straccia 100 a 0 quello che hanno fatto Nintendo e IS negli ultimi due anni!

Grazie mille caro. :) Beh non direi di essere addirittura meglio di IS, ma indubbiamente ci ho riposto molte energie. Che il risultato finale piaccia, è per me una grande soddisfazione e gioia!

Fammi sapere di più. ;)

I see.

And yes I read the dialogue so their A.I. change is reasoned.

Nevertheless I still prefer to show the entire movement range of each enemy, because it forces you more to think (even if it's only for your first playthrough). You have to take each enemy seriously.

The other alternative would be to disable the enemy movement range like in FE10. (which could be a customized option)

Some chapters are very nasty without the 0 Mov hack, like ch. 5 or ch.6, or even ch.7, where there are stationary enemies that aren't supposed to move. Why should a player be careful around someone who isn't supposed to move? I personally like this feature, and it hasn't been a problem for most players as far as I know, so I'll keep it.

Also disabling the movement range was an Hard mode-only option IIRC.

Well that's weird because I couldn't play it a moment ago with Faratrass and now that I restarted, I can. A minor bug, but that's strange xD (for the tower of Valni ^^)

Edited by Metakirby

^ Rather than speed screwed, which has a mere 35% growth rate, that's DEF screwed! Look at that. She even has a 50% Def growth.

Also, here is how the finalised Skills will look like in battle:

Edited by Alfred Kamon

^ Rather than speed screwed, which has a mere 35% growth rate, that's DEF screwed! Look at that. She even has a 50% Def growth.

Yea true, but speed is a more important stat. 7 speed = not doubling anything in tower or skirmishes.

Yea true, but speed is a more important stat. 7 speed = not doubling anything in tower or skirmishes.

Fa probably isn't supposed to double anything besides armours, but even they she doesn't need to double. She hits hard and can actually take a hit, she's not a traditional mage in that regard.

When you were in the Prologue, was anything about new voices being added to the info section mentioned? Were you able to skip Munie talking about the history? Did Faratrass have her own battle theme? If not, it's possible that you need to try to patch it again.

Uhm, if I remember right, she talked more than in the previous patch and I did patched the right patch on a clean file, maybe something went wrong, I'll download another time so I can be sure the file was not broken in some kind just to be sure.

Also I'll give it another shot and take more care of the people around me, normally I try to look out for the Chars and what they say but I had a rough time with this patch because in the Version before it was much easier to get trough, the only problematic Level for me was the one where you had to bring Fa to the house in the city haha.

Anyway no hard feelings tho, I was just surprised I missed out so many characters in total. xD

Since the next patch lets us play with our save files I can't wait for it to have my folks around and getting into the next chapters. :>

BTT

Keep going! Shit happens every time, don't make mistakes because here and there some people got little issues, it's still an enjoyable and funny story and interesting Chars, can't wait where the story is going and how all of them develope into. :D

"Go with Faratrass to Midbar"

I actually just got that reference. Alfred, your ability to use obscure references is amazing. Are there supports? I haven't checked via turngrind (my play style is horrible for supports to naturally crop up), because if there are, I'd definitely grind for them. If there aren't yet, I readily lend my typing hands to the cause, I'm actually quite a good fantasy writer. I can't write fanfic though, so don't expect to see anything from me there.

finally, i reached ch 8 in v1.5, and this time i have all the chars alive and got two of the three chars i didn't know how to get in v1.2!

also in ch 6, the soldier next to Maazt? has a portrait pic, and when you kill him he has a death quote: "at least they didn't kill Melissa"

um, im confused here, is this guy a playable char? and who's "melissa" that he was talking about in his death quote?

Edited by IkeBoyDude

I actually just got that reference. Alfred, your ability to use obscure references is amazing. Are there supports? I haven't checked via turngrind (my play style is horrible for supports to naturally crop up), because if there are, I'd definitely grind for them. If there aren't yet, I readily lend my typing hands to the cause, I'm actually quite a good fantasy writer. I can't write fanfic though, so don't expect to see anything from me there.

What is the reference from? The only thing I can think of that it might be is Valkyrie Profile (and I haven't exactly finished any of those three games).

No supports yet, but Alfred's working on them. There's going to be quite a few, so he could well want more help on that.

finally, i reached ch 8 in v1.5, and this time i have all the chars alive and got two of the three chars i didn't know how to get in v1.2!

also in ch 6, the soldier next to Maazt? has a portrait pic, and when you kill him he has a death quote: "at least they didn't kill Melissa"

um, im confused here, is this guy a playable char? and who's "melissa" that he was talking about in his death quote?

Nope, he's not recruitable. But, but, if you get his letter (either by having Sae'rah talk to him or if she engages him in combat - both must survive at least one combat round if you take that option), you'll find out about Melissa. She's his sister, and she will be recruitable in a later patch. Maybe. Depends on whether you meet certain conditions.

Edited by Wayward Winds

Uh, interesting? I'd say "hellish"! And not the sort of hell the DK's after either...

Cavaliers these days... grumble grumble...

[spoiler=You ain't seen nothin' yet]

Uhm, if I remember right, she talked more than in the previous patch and I did patched the right patch on a clean file, maybe something went wrong, I'll download another time so I can be sure the file was not broken in some kind just to be sure.

Also I'll give it another shot and take more care of the people around me, normally I try to look out for the Chars and what they say but I had a rough time with this patch because in the Version before it was much easier to get trough, the only problematic Level for me was the one where you had to bring Fa to the house in the city haha.

Anyway no hard feelings tho, I was just surprised I missed out so many characters in total. xD

Since the next patch lets us play with our save files I can't wait for it to have my folks around and getting into the next chapters. :>

BTT

Keep going! Shit happens every time, don't make mistakes because here and there some people got little issues, it's still an enjoyable and funny story and interesting Chars, can't wait where the story is going and how all of them develope into. :D

Thank you for your support, Ryosuken. ^^

I'll always try my best to deliver a good hack.

Ahahah, glad you got the reference.

And thank you for your kind offer. I'm afraid we won't need any extra help for the supports though. Despite the huge amount of work required, the plan is to keep the writer bias to the minimum, and there's some concrete risk of having different writing styles and different characterisation if the writers are many. I'd like to write all of them just with Ashley (after all these years he knows the characters even better than me, probably, haha) but should we fail in our attempt, I'll sure ask for your help.

Ashley has answered you correctly. You can get the soldier's letter by having him interact with Sae'rah.

Melissa will be recruitable in v.2.0.

I think she'll be a dragoon or halberdier.

What is the reference from? The only thing I can think of that it might be is Valkyrie Profile (and I haven't exactly finished any of those three games).

No supports yet, but Alfred's working on them. There's going to be quite a few, so he could well want more help on that.

The actual reference comes from Judaism, where Midbar is the "Desert of Soul". Midbar in Midnight Sun is located where Jehanna was, and Jehanna was a desertic country.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I can't recruit Cattleya by talking to her with Menmus in Chapter 2. She still joins at the end of the chapter but it's quite annoying to have an enemy Myrmidon running around that I can't do anything about.

Fa clearly states you don't have to approach her.

I don't know if you've ever heard of Etrian Odyssey, but I wanted to recreate some sort of F.O.E. feeling.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I don't know if you've ever heard of Etrian Odyssey, but I wanted to recreate some sort of F.O.E. feeling.

Yeah but multiple other people in this topic have said that Menmus can recruit her by talking to her. I don't really care that much either way but I'd like to have a straight answer because it's not clear whether this is a bug or not.

I like the changes to the dialog.Good work.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks!

Yeah but multiple other people in this topic have said that Menmus can recruit her by talking to her. I don't really care that much either way but I'd like to have a straight answer because it's not clear whether this is a bug or not.

Those people were wrong, and they confirmed that themselves. I didn't even create a dialogue event between the two. So it's 100% confirmed that you can't talk to Cattleya with anybody during ch.2. It's meant to be that because she's not supposed to be fought.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Oooh, that's the source of inspiration? That's awesome. I do like that idea/am a fan of "super tough enemy amidst weaker ones" in general, so long as it's not executed super annoyingly, haha.

Ended up taking my screenshots for the prologue so that oughta be up either later today or tomorrow. Like I've said before, the story is really good, drawing you in from the word go and not letting up in the slightest.

My Fa got two really good level ups in the prologue. Here's hoping my man Weiss turns out great when I get to him!

And thank you for your kind offer. I'm afraid we won't need any extra help for the supports though. Despite the huge amount of work required, the plan is to keep the writer bias to the minimum, and there's some concrete risk of having different writing styles and different characterisation if the writers are many. I'd like to write all of them just with Ashley (after all these years he knows the characters even better than me, probably, haha) but should we fail in our attempt, I'll sure ask for your help

I actually take your position on this one. Dividing characters among multiple authors is sketchy at best. Still, thought I'd offer. Least I could do for such a great hack.