[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

@Alfred Kamon While it's been ages since I touched this mod, I am glad that NOA isn't threatening you with lawsuits over bullshit copyright claims. Of course they're well within their rights to do so since it's kinda sad that laymen doing things on a decade old engine are able to make better more compelling stories than the drivel produced by the actual company.

They're fricking jelly, so I suppose I'll wait for the 2.0 patch by suffering some Fates.

Edited by CorruptDruid

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that title is such clickbait.

Glad to see it's not what I thought it was.

Actually, it was a serious title when I wrote it. I was really concerned about that copyright claim I received.

But later it was found out that the one who made the claim was a fraud, so it became just funny. lol

I'm not going to change it for a while, tbh

Oh man. some people just never learn it not right to impersonate a real person/company. Glad you solved the mystery but this is my reaction to incident.

Well obviously Nintendo is trying to cover their tracks for when they release FE15: Midnight Sun

(Hope this is resolved soon, good luck with everything!)

Edited by TheMoniker

You should ask them for some feedback or something. Awfully rude of them to just be like "Sucks so bad we're asking for it to be removed"

All silliness aside, keep up the good work.

How is it rude for them to remove things when we're messing around with their IP, coding, data, and property, which is illegal btw.

Well obviously Nintendo is trying to cover their tracks for when they release FE15: Midnight Sun

(Hope this is resolved soon, good luck with everything!)

lol, I'd delete every trace of MS myself if they did an FE15: Midnight Sun hahahah.

Back to business, could you guys please send me your saves? I really need them to balance out the difficulty.

Oh, only if you've beaten the Tower of Trials and the skirmish battle.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Assuming I can figure out how to do that on my Mac and do those two extra battles, will do.

I've had to extract saves before to move them to a different emulator, but those were DS games not GBA games. Probably just have to look up the instructions for OpenEmu again.

...Though on that note I don't even know if my save files would work for you. OpenEmu is Mac exclusive. Due to how its programmed in order to run about a dozen different emulators it can't work on PCs.

How is it rude for them to remove things when we're messing around with their IP, coding, data, and property, which is illegal btw.

lol what are you talking about, it's free use dude.

Even if people actively sold romhacks, it might get hit with a C&D or the website might get hit with a DMCA claim, in which case the response is to file a counterclaim and wait for a suit

Spoiler alert, it won't happen.

I mean obviously this all depends on your local laws, but nothing here is illegal, and hyperbolic statements to the contrary is just pointless scaremongering tinged with an incredibly obvious desire to appear intellectual and superior.

lol what are you talking about, it's free use dude.

Free use would be utilizing the ideas / concepts (e.g. fangames in general); using the thing but adding one's own content/value to the thing (e.g. let's plays).

Er, to make sure I say it clearly-- romhacking isn't free use, but it isn't illegal (only the rom itself is).

Messing around with intsys' code/data/property could easily fall under illegal though; but the patch itself doesn't really have anything actionable in it.

So it depends on if you're looking at what the file actually is, or what the file becomes. You have a pretty decent case in the latter of actual infringement..

But it's kind of pointless--As I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't go after free fangames (though obviously don't just trust my words, go check it yourself; I may be misremembering).

I finally got around to doing the Tower. Here are my stats:
[spoiler=Stats]kzJqtYa.pngpDdXTEG.png2MX8klF.pngLd7Nmjx.pngEaySgy5.pngsS84pvP.pngvdUNvaL.pnglpFHS2x.pngByP1SFa.png1hBOSTw.pngE7EhvTn.pnglMW42Pb.pngASE6u3Z.pngj1bVVdC.pngt4ghiLl.png Ceapana stats are much higher than I would have expected them to be. I also used the Lukos Fang on her, so that's added Str. I did use more characters this time, but some still were not used. I don't know if you'll take my save file. I only did the Tower on Faratrass' route (I have a file for both routes), and I couldn't do the Skirmish, because it disappeared off of my map, probably because I did the Tower first.

I mean obviously this all depends on your local laws, but nothing here is illegal, and hyperbolic statements to the contrary is just pointless scaremongering tinged with an incredibly obvious desire to appear intellectual and superior.

But isn't that statement itself a pointless scaremongering tinged with an incredibly obvious desire to appear intellectual and superior?

I finally got around to doing the Tower. Here are my stats:

[spoiler=Stats]kzJqtYa.pngpDdXTEG.png2MX8klF.pngLd7Nmjx.pngEaySgy5.pngsS84pvP.pngvdUNvaL.pnglpFHS2x.pngByP1SFa.png1hBOSTw.pngE7EhvTn.pnglMW42Pb.pngASE6u3Z.pngj1bVVdC.pngt4ghiLl.png Ceapana stats are much higher than I would have expected them to be. I also used the Lukos Fang on her, so that's added Str. I did use more characters this time, but some still were not used. I don't know if you'll take my save file. I only did the Tower on Faratrass' route (I have a file for both routes), and I couldn't do the Skirmish, because it disappeared off of my map, probably because I did the Tower first.

Those are some really nice stats!

Yes, send me the savefile, thanks. ;) It'll come in handy for testing Fa's route.

Ah right, maybe I should do the trials once lol. I'll send you my save as well when I'm done. What is the best way to share my save file?

You could upload it to dropbox/mediafire/any other file hosting site and PM it to me. :)

Thank you very much, by the way.

Oh my god that was fucking close. Killed the soldier boss in trials with a 26% chance Killer Axe crit by my boy Cristoph. He may be mediocre stat wise, but this dude just keeps on dodging at high percentages and saving my ass in general. Also I noticed that I only use units with at least decent luck, so maybe my strategy is just based on luck pure skill.

Chapter 9B is almost complete. I just had to polish some dialogues and gameplay. This is the most complex chapter I've ever designed. It features more than 3000 lines of code, and it's full of conditionals!

ch9_concept1.png

ch9_concept2.png

Some questions you might have come up with:

- What if X character is dead? Will you still find him/her in the cells?

- Will you be asked to hide a character who's dead?

- Does the chapter end when you're found out? Is this like ch.5?

- Can you finish the chapter while leaving someone inside their cells?

- Do you necessarily have to hide instead of engaging the enemies and kill them all?

- Will killing an enemy who is sleeping cause me to be found out?

The answer to all of these is NO. And they're just some examples.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Chapter 9B is almost complete. I just had to polish some dialogues and gameplay. This is the most complex chapter I've ever designed. It features more than 3000 lines of code, and it's full of conditionals!
ch9_concept1.png
ch9_concept2.png

Manster flashbacks

Really tho, I love prison escape levels 90% of the time, so this looks pretty cool

Wow, you really had a lot of work.... I'm trying to do something on the FE8 too.... I hope I can do something like you did >w<

There are 3 key factors for a successful hack in my opinion: passion, knowledge, and time.

Best of luck with your project! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The situation is far better than 4 years ago when I started working on Midnight Sun, but FE8 is still harder to hack than FE7 for many reasons.

Edited by Alfred Kamon