[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Probably because I draw the same thing a lot, that being young women.

I really like his art, but I can never understand what makes it so recognizable, I mean, that's a great thing, but I just can't. ; w;

Yeah, I think that might be partly it... Ray's faces look just a little too... masculine for young women? Maybe? I can't really claim that because I still can't figure out what exactly differentiates masculine faces from feminine ones. I mean, it's easy to make a face very obviously masculine, like if it looks like it was crudely carved out of solid rock, or if it has facial hair, but what if it's more subtle?

I've been trying to figure this out for like a week now, and it's driving me mad! I looked the question up on the internet, of course, but none of what I read has completely convinced me.

Like, for instance, deeply-set eyes are supposed to be masculine... but I've seen women with deeply-set eyes and men with shallow eyes and they still look like, well, their respective gender to me. This is gonna make me insane... Send help...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with it honestly, it's just his art style. It's a quite uncommon one, and quite different from all the anime/manga-like faces you're probably used to see nowadays, so that's why you read it as "strange".

I think Ray's style is loyal to the original FE style.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Yeah, I think that might be partly it... Ray's faces look just a little too... masculine for young women? Maybe? I can't really claim that because I still can't figure out what exactly differentiates masculine faces from feminine ones. I mean, it's easy to make a face very obviously masculine, like if it looks like it was crudely carved out of solid rock, or if it has facial hair, but what if it's more subtle?

I've been trying to figure this out for like a week now, and it's driving me mad! I looked the question up on the internet, of course, but none of what I read has completely convinced me.

Like, for instance, deeply-set eyes are supposed to be masculine... but I've seen women with deeply-set eyes and men with shallow eyes and they still look like, well, their respective gender to me. This is gonna make me insane... Send help...

The thing that you might think as strange is probably how he draws his noses. They are a bit more defined, rounded, and the bridges of the nose are a bit more straighter. It's a stylized thing I think, and honestly I don't think there is any problem to it. Anyways, this is going kinda off topic from Midnight sun.

Anyways, this is going kinda off topic from Midnight sun.

I have nothing against it, you can keep talking about Ray's art.

After all, it's still constructive criticism for the artist who's filling Midnight Sun's virtual artbook.

Alright so hello, I'm new to the site but I am a large fire emblem fan and a big fan of the hack! Two things I'd like to bring up though.

One, it's probably not normally possible, but I'd gone through the game normally once and was using savestates for my second playthrough. On chapter 5x Blind Fury, if you defeat the three knights that appear around Saii and the shaman platoon that spawn after defeating one of the lieutenant, they spawn again and repeat their dialog. The Shamans even have another dropable Light Tome. This does not occur after defeating the second lieutenant.

Two, after picking which lord I'd follow, I was given the option to access the tower of Trials and a monster encounter on the world map. I was hyped to do the tower though so I did it first. After a thankfully good batch of levels and nobody dying, I returned to the world map and the monster encounter was gone. Did I just miss out on it forever or was this your solution avoid spawning additional map encounters every time someone goes to the tower?

Ah. Well then. In the future I shall do map encounters first then so I don't miss out on crafting materials or dropable weapons.

I should mention that in the mini-tutorial at the beginning of ch.9, though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just out of curiosity, there won't be any physical weapons basing their attack off of magic (light brand excluded, if it appears), or strength-based magic tomes, right?

lol Mjolnir physical tome you have to use it as an axe and it has the properties of a hammer

A tome that causes a giant hammer to fall on your opponent's head? I'd love to see that. And indeed, it should be armorslaying.

The weapon you're looking for is a war pick.

Also, bludgeoning weapons were intended for plate armor, because cutting weapons have a tendency to glance off. Thus, maces, cudgels, and war hammers were a thing.

Edited by Greninjeta

Boy you are fun at parties.

That's what overconcentrating on work tends to do! And yet, most people are completely fine with selling a majority of their time to people who don't care about their values :)

The weapon you're looking for is a war pick.

Also, bludgeoning weapons were intended for plate armor, because cutting weapons have a tendency to glance off. Thus, maces, cudgels, and war hammers were a thing.

Ahhhh, thanks! I'd forgotten about that. That and their weight also helps with armor crushing.

But you should explain how the triangle system works (keeping in mind that greatswords and triangle-reversing weapons exist) and how a sword can somehow damage even the most armored of the opponents and even without half-swording (now that I think about it, I'm pissed about the fact that the anti-armor sword is always a cutting-oriented sword instead of a thrusting-oriented one).