[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

In all honesty though, there is one thing that grips me when it comes to this game and it's the sheer availability of magic in this game and the diversity of the units...even if some don't exactly fit the mold (and nobody's got luck but thats besides the point). We got a shaman lord, we got a mage trainee, we have a Bis-I mean Exorsist, we have a unique light mage, all three are ours to use!

[spoiler=However after chapter 8]I am a little sad because we lose FA and she takes her tomes with her if we take Shiori's path...so are we going to get another dark magic user later or will be have a couple of unusable tomes sitting in the convoy until she comes back?

Seriously though, this hack greatly uses it's magic, and it makes sense too! Of course there are reaver tomes, the forces of darkness won't remain idle while they develop tomes like Holy Fire so mages have an edge against dark magic users! You have to look before fighting cause you never know...they're just waiting for you slip and flip the weapon/magic triangle in their favor. I bet there's some reaver light magic there too...unless that was Candle? I didn't experiment.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really excited to see the new promoted classes. I hope I get a second myrm in the next patch, because I want one of them to go Spell Fencer. Curious what my Troubador's promotion options will be as well. I hope she keeps her swords in both promotions.

Also my Andre is a monster. If I could upload a screen from my flashcart I would, but he's been carrying my team. Djambo's actually my only underwhelming trainee, but that was most likely my own RNG.

I know I said this in my first post, but I love this patch, keep up the good work. I'm loving the story, can't wait to play through the rest.

Personally my Puledra is starting to become pretty beastly when I actually got him a level...but I'm tight on funds so I usually only give him healing xp when someone needs it, which is usually the only xp he gets...cause magic is expensive. >W>; That and other people would get more xp fighting anyway. Still though, promoted units earlygame are rare. Old men promoted units with good growths are even rarer. Suck it Jagen.

I cannot wait until I'm fighting promoted units, or at least things that will give him reasonable xp so I don't feel like I'm stealing it from others so the old man can really show me what he's got. I may stick to monsters since he's got the slayer skill...

Edited by Enja Lumerias

That's extremely vague, what has Nintendo been taking down? And I don't think that Nintendo would go around taking down stuff to increase their sales. Among all the reasons that Nintendo'd have to take down content, that one for sure doesn't make much sense in my opinion... Some better explanations could be: preserving the brand image, shutting down piracy, monetising stolen content, censoring illicit content, etc.

In Midnight Sun's case, I don't even think Nintendo has a problem to begin with. It's a company who cares about fan games, and actually fangames make people interested in their original games. It can also be seen as part of the japanese culture, see all the doujinshi that are based on other people's work, but are treated as ""legal"" content because the original author believes that in the long run the doujinshi will only benefit his/her work.

In fact, the guy who took down Midnight Sun was confirmed to be a fraud.

Sorry for the late reply. Nintendo has seemed to be cracking down on ROMs because Nintendo apparently got rid of some of the popular games on a site called Vizzed (where I recommended your hack on.)

Yeah, no, I know the thing you're talking about and it's an ex employee with a nintento email address. He is in no way affiliated with NOA.

I've done some research and it appears to be someone that is using the name of a Nintendo employee that was not even in their legal department.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the hack! I just want to be sure: 1.6 is still the most recent version?

You know what, I'll tell you, look below.

Eh, I'm trying to remember, look below.

So, I'm almost there, look below.

What? You want to know? Look below.

The first letter of the first three sentences are the answer. Sorry, I'm bored.

well I just finished the game and I have to say, I was really impressed by it. One thing that really concerns me though is how it appears that this game appears to be in development hell, but I am willing to wait it out. The ending of the arc was somewhat predictable and but I am curious to see how this all plays out. Now lets go down into unit review:

Faratras:

[spoiler={option}] what can I say she's a lord and has the stat growths to support one a main character should have. what is really surprising is the amount of defense she has. HOLY SHIT SHE CAN TANK A LOT OF STUFF! At level 16 she is tied for the highest defense on my team along with with Weiss who I will go into later. With okay speed and great resistance as well she should basically never die unless she runs into a holy fire. overall:* * * * *

Hellios:

[spoiler={option}] Okay so this review is going under the assumption that you have finished the game up to version 1.6 and ending before we start chapter 9. With that being said this is a spoiler so you have until the end of this sentence to stop reading and go on ahead, you have been warned. Hellios is basically just exactly what I thought he was going to be, a waste of experience. Turns out, he's the main bad guy, go figure. Even if he wasn't he is still the early game promoted unit that just sucks up exp needlessly. HIs stats were amazing had a great weapon but still once you get Weiss, his role is done. Basically I only used him to either soften up the enemies, clear snags, or kill enemy units when I had no other choice. Stat wise an amazing unit, but for overall gameplay and usage I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND USING HIM! overall: *

Rya:
[spoiler={option}] Rya was probably one of the units that carried my entire team. I find the idea of having a mix attacker in the game extremely fun and was exceptionally well done. While on the physical side she is weak her magic is one of the highest especially for technically being a non-mage unit. But with the thunderbolt and napalm shot weapons, she basically kills everything in her path. She basically maxes out her speed and skill and she has amazing defenses so that she can deal with both physical and magic attacks. She will have some trouble killing using normal bows but she will almost always do at least a decent chunk to the enemy. overall: * * * * *

Christoph:

[spoiler={option}] Christoph is an interesting character to say the least. For me personally I believe that axes are the weakest weapons of the weapon triangle. The idea of the fighter class is that they do a lot of damage, at the cost of accuracy. However I tend that there are other units that can do a similar amount of damage but won't miss as often. However, his one redeeming quality is the amount of luck he has. For all the crits I got within the game (which I felt I got way more than the percentage meter told me I should be getting) at least half of those came from Christoph. Out of the three fighters units he is on the better half of things and I can recommend him but I believe there are better units out there. overall: * * *

Andre:

[spoiler={option}] Of the two units that carried my team the most, Andre was that other unit. He nearly maxed out his magic and skill, and is close to maxing out speed. He also has the highest res and magic of all my units and a decent defense to go along with it. He is basically a Faratrass excepts hits slightly harder and will almost double everything. He starts off a little bit weak but that is easily fixed with his low exp curve and early promotion. He is a fast growing unit who you only need to put in a little effort in order to see a great payout. overall: * * * * *

Puledra:

[spoiler={option}] for me Puledra was just an old man on the battlefield who was really only good at healing. Looking at his stats, there could be something there is he levels up his speed and magic, the problem is that he doesn't get exp. In my opinion he is a lost cause, you get a better healer later in the game too. The only thing he has going for him is the fact that he can use light tomes but there is a better person for that too. His res is amazing seeing as how I only leveled him up once on my playthrough and he has the second highest res. Alas there is no room for this old man on my team. overall: * *

Menmus:

[spoiler={option}] Fire emblem has really spoiled me with all the good wyvern riders, Jill, Harr, Gerome, Camilla. So while Menmus is a great unit, in comparison he just seems a bit lackluster. That is an unfair comparison and in this game he is great, but you can just see some of his flaws that much more. He is the slowest member of the team only faster than Djambo(who I didn't use but should have) and Garion. Having both axes and lances makes this unit really great and versatile since, if he wants pure damage he can wield axes and if he wants accuracy he can go to lances. Where he really shines through though is his def. Only losing to Weiss the cavalier, and Faratras the godly magic tank. Him being able to fly is also really helpful since he can rescue people easily or go off on his own kill someone and then run back. overall: * * * *

Catleya:

[spoiler={option}] Catleya does exactly what a myrmidon should do, hit fast and crit everything. She maxed out speed and is one point away from maxing out skill. When coupled with the strength boosting consumable and the Mars item, she does a crap ton of damage. While her defenses are average, the are decent enough where she can live a good 2-3 before she starts getting into trouble. She is a great unit but giving her that little bit of help can make her from an okay unit to an amazing one. overall: * * * *

Garion:

[spoiler={option}] *sigh* I had such high hopes for this guy but alas I was proven wrong. He is slow, has bad defenses and his strength does not make up for this. He struggles to get kills and you have to constantly worry about him getting randomly critted on. The only thing he is really good for is his Mars item which is better used on someone else *cough* *cough*. overall: * *

Shiori:

[spoiler={option}] Shiori is going to be your go to light magic user when you can use her. While she does suck up exp needlessly, you have to use her if you want to be able to get through the chapter alive. With Shiori I found that she hit like a truck but is also very squishy. She is very much a glass cannon, but as long as she doesn't get hit, you should be fine. If she doesn't die from the enemy's attack, the enemy sure will. When version 2.0 I wonder how differently she will play considering what happened within the story. This review may very well change depending on how this is handled and on what path the player chooses for the second half. overall: * * * * +1/2*

Djambo:

[spoiler={option}] This was a character that I wished I used if I had known how bad Garion was going to be. I cannot say how good he is since I never used him, but just by speculating on what kind of character he is (low level, fast promote), he definitely has potential to be one of the best ax users you can find. So long of RNJesus doesn't screw him over. overall: * * *

Shwarz:

[spoiler={option}] This guys just kinda makes me wanna cry at night. There is so much that he can do but he is just screwed over by his defenses, luck and skill. This dude cannot kill and will almost always get two-shotted. To top it off, for a pegasus knight, he has one of the lowest res which is kinda unacceptable for me since that is the purpose of a pegasus knight. I would have gladly traded some of his attack to his defenses if I could cause maybe he would actually get to do things then. overall: * *

Weiss:

[spoiler={option}] Weiss is by far the best mounted unit in the game. Great strength and defense and the highest skill, which is only supplemented further by his item Saturn. So long as he doesn't run into a mage, he will destroy everything. Especially if you equip a short ax to him. Swords can also be used for consistent damage and easier kills to save you ranged axes uses. Average speed but good enough to double most things within the game. overall: * * * *

Caepana:
[spoiler={option}] She is going to be your go to healer within this game. A healer that can actually attack as soon as you get her. She has a decent enough of an attack stat to be useable but her main focus is definitely healing. With max skill, and near max speed with good luck you won't have to worry about he randomly dying to some random enemy. However she is a bit frail on the physical side so do not use her on the frontlines. But you do not have to worry about any magical attack hurting her. overall: * * * *

Sae'rah:
[spoiler={option}] Welcome to the third quick exp, putting in a little effort for great reward character. With high skill, speed, and luck and along with decent attack and defenses instead of a jack of all trades she is more like a queen of all trades. Once you get her caught up she can be a solid unit. I chose to promoted her into an elite recruit instead of a soldier since having a wonder pupil worked so well for Andre. I have no idea which is the better option so if someone reads this can explain to me which one is better that would be helpful. In the end I'm sure either choice will work out great for you. overall: * * * *

Letruffe:

[spoiler={option}] What can I say, he's a thief. He is meant to do a little bit of damage, possible get a crit, and get out. He really isn't meant to take a lot of hits, but he can be extremely helpful by stealing staves and picking locks. Until another thief comes along, I am pretty sure Letruffe will have some job security. Also Solaris is possibly one of the best weapons in the game and it would be a shame for you not to get it. overall: * * *+1/2*

That is it for all the units we have currently so far. Story wise there is so much potential to be seen but only time will tell if this game will truly be able to live up to that potential.

Edited by Tempo

Hey, question if anyone would be kind enough to answer. I'm interested in trying this hack out, but I can't seem to find a ROM that's compatible with this hack, can someone give me a url to a version of Sacred Stones that you know for sure works? It's be very nice of y'all

lol, no.

make sure you're decompressing whatever rom you're using though, they're often stored in zip or rar files.

Hey, question if anyone would be kind enough to answer. I'm interested in trying this hack out, but I can't seem to find a ROM that's compatible with this hack, can someone give me a url to a version of Sacred Stones that you know for sure works? It's be very nice of y'all

Sending roms, or links to roms in this server is not allowed, and is against the rules. i can easily find a good fe8 rom but just searching fire emblem the sacred stones rom into google.

Can I get a quick link, or redirect to the latest patch of this project? Never played it, and it looks very much developed at this point in time.

gIlfN8T.png

It's right there in the OP.

Edited by InvdrZim13