[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, the auto promote for andre is great :)

well since he has two different promos, i can use one for Shiori's path and the other one for Fa's path.

yep, like many fe games the gold gets better as the game advances.

um, the ARcodes could work for MD since it uses SS as base rom, but it isn't reccmened , so i won't use codes finally,

um the save state that i used from v1.2 -> v1.5 it didn't work, but from v1.5 -> v1.6 it did :)

just remained the statesav from midnight sun v1.5 to midnight sun v1.6_0.svs (the state format that GPsp uses).

looking forward to ch split paths!

also does the ch split paths in sacred stones happen at ch 9 or later? i think for SS it was later than chapter 9.

Oh, mind you: I said I don't recommend using savestates to fully enjoy the game. But you're talking about savefiles. Those are completely ok.

By savestates I mean those emulator features that allow you to save whenever you want. It's useful if you don't want to play the game too seriously, or if you think it's too difficult for you. But I'd recommend not using them, since I don't use them either when I make the chapters. (it'd be a very bad design choice to make a chapter so hard that the player has basically to "cheat" to beat it).

The route split is in chapter 9, yeah.

It'll last until chapter 15.

Did you ever decide if you are going to make the hack 15 chapters or the full 21?

I'm sure either way it'll be great!

I'm almost a bit dismayed that no one reacted to that animation I drew. Though I guess that was to be expected.

AWESOME HACK! Great storyline with smooth gameplay. Thank you very much for providing us with such high quality work.

My only wish was that there were a few more lance users than just the 2 we get up to the interlude. Will we be seeing more in the future?

Also, out of curiosity, do we get any rewards for keeping all of the NPCs alive in chapters 6 and 7? It's quite difficult to keep those guys from suiciding into the enemies.

damn the two green units in the first chapter just want to die don't they. The magic archer was at very low hp then decided you know what I am going to run directly at these three shaman (Helios rescued her though) then the fighter guy does the exact same thing and dies.

AWESOME HACK! Great storyline with smooth gameplay. Thank you very much for providing us with such high quality work.

My only wish was that there were a few more lance users than just the 2 we get up to the interlude. Will we be seeing more in the future?

Also, out of curiosity, do we get any rewards for keeping all of the NPCs alive in chapters 6 and 7? It's quite difficult to keep those guys from suiciding into the enemies.

Thank you so much!

No, you don't get any reward for that.

damn the two green units in the first chapter just want to die don't they. The magic archer was at very low hp then decided you know what I am going to run directly at these three shaman (Helios rescued her though) then the fighter guy does the exact same thing and dies.

Ahahah, silly Rya and Cristoph.

What about recruiting them?

I'm enjoying the hell out of this hack so far, it's really really awesome! Excellent work, I'm really impressed. I don't really know where to begin haha. I'm currently at chapter 6

A few things that stood out for me:

Story is incredibly good (already). It feels like a real Fire Emblem game, everything makes sense and I haven't noticed any open ends or whatever.

When Hellios told Faratrass what was going on in the prologue, after the soldier attacked her, a song from Lufia 2 started playing and I was staring at my screen for a while, I didn't believe the awesomeness that was happening. Lufia 2 is one of my favorite games ever :)

Music in general is really well done, I don't even know how you can change the music but really cool, good job.

The new weapon icons are refreshing, they look cool

Some new weapons with new features you added are nice (I won't spoil anything), they feel balanced and useful.

Different chapter completion goals feel really cool, especially chapter 5 was a lot of fun

I could go on for a while but this is just by far the best hack I've ever played. That said, I haven't played many FE hacks but still. I'm really impressed. I'd really like to see this finished and I will support this for sure.

By the way, chapter 4 was a bit weird for me. It was an impressive chapter, story-wise, but the map layout was a bit tedious to get through. I understand that that was your intention, pretty much, but I didn't really like how long it took to get to Faratrass. Especially because it's not a really hard chapter per sé, it makes it a bit frustrating in the end. But that's all the criticism i have for you ;)

By the way, how was I supposed to recruit Djambo? (I hope I remembered his name correctly)

He got killed after chapter 4 ended, and there was nothing I could do at that point. I didn't feel like restarting so rip but can anyone explain?

I'm enjoying the hell out of this hack so far, it's really really awesome! Excellent work, I'm really impressed. I don't really know where to begin haha. I'm currently at chapter 6

Story is incredibly good (already). It feels like a real Fire Emblem game, everything makes sense and I haven't noticed any open ends or whatever.

When Hellios told Faratrass what was going on in the prologue, after the soldier attacked her, a song from Lufia 2 started playing and I was staring at my screen for a while, I didn't believe the awesomeness that was happening. Lufia 2 is one of my favorite games ever :)

Music in general is really well done, I don't even know how you can change the music but really cool, good job.

Some new weapons with new features you added are nice (I won't spoil anything), they feel balanced and useful.

Different chapter completion goals feel really cool, especially chapter 5 was a lot of fun

I could go on for a while but this is just by far the best hack I've ever played. That said, I haven't played many FE hacks but still. I'm really impressed. I'd really like to see this finished and I will support this for sure.

By the way, chapter 4 was a bit weird for me. It was an impressive chapter, story-wise, but the map layout was a bit tedious to get through. I understand that that was your intention, pretty much, but I didn't really like how long it took to get to Faratrass. Especially because it's not a really hard chapter per sé, it makes it a bit frustrating in the end. But that's all the criticism i have for you ;)

By the way, how was I supposed to recruit Djambo? (I hope I remembered his name correctly)

He got killed after chapter 4 ended, and there was nothing I could do at that point. I didn't feel like restarting so rip but can anyone explain?

In chapter 3 you need to let FA talk to garion before you defeated him. you also need to recruit Garion in chapter 4 when he shows up if you talked to him in chapter 3. Then in chapter 4 Garion saves Djambo.

Edited by Chaz

Hi,

It's a very good hack, thanks fo this :)

What's the original music of "go, go! attack!" the battle theme ?

Thanks

That would be "Go Go Go!" from Lunar Silver Star. Seeing as that game has been remade three times (originally on Sega Mega/CD, then remade for PSX, GBA and PSP), there's various versions floating around.

Here's the latest (PSP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEXtLhfan4k

And for reference, this is how it sounded in the GBA release (pretty primitive sounding compared to the version used in Midnight Sun):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnK-oBS7Qmg

Is the magic bow supposed to not deal bonus damage against fliers

Pretty sure that's intentional, since fliers are only weak to physical bows and wind magic. Maybe a magic wind bow will appear in the game?

Thank you SO much for all the support! I'll also take note of the critique for future forest-based maps. :)

Is the magic bow supposed to not deal bonus damage against fliers

No, as the arrows it shoots count as magic and not physical arrows.

However, the Napalm Shot will be effective against Baels, and future bows will have their own effectiveness as well. Even the Lightningrod (or thunder magic in general) will be effective against ballistas and similar machinery.

If you want a more practical explanation, the magic arrows don't even have a tip; they have a little bottle containing the magic.

That would be "Go Go Go!" from Lunar Silver Star. Seeing as that game has been remade three times (originally on Sega Mega/CD, then remade for PSX, GBA and PSP), there's various versions floating around.

Here's the latest (PSP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEXtLhfan4k

And for reference, this is how it sounded in the GBA release (pretty primitive sounding compared to the version used in Midnight Sun):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnK-oBS7Qmg

Thanks a lot for quick reply :)

I replayed through the games 1.6 version. Definitely remember why I enjoyed the hack (With 1 or two exceptions *cough*5x*cough*). Of course, a different run means different characters turned out well/not. For those few interested, here's the stats of my first playthrough:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35455&page=57#entry3151874

2ptecux.png

Starting with the main protagonist. Fairly slow and a bit inaccurate, she nevertheless hits like a truck and reasonably survivable, too.

wciatw.png

Slightly stronger and tankier and a lot more accurate then my old one, Menmus is a strong and reasonable unit. Just that god he's slow...not very lucky too...

ok2zo8.png

At first I felt he would be pretty good what with him getting skill and speed. Looking at him now, I can't help but see that speed is his ONLY good stat. Pretty weak and VERY squishy. Still, he's not unusable, just need to use care.

2v29poi.png

Andre! Again, painfully slow but reasonably powerful otherwise. In fact, most units have speed issues...

2lifmh0.png

...most does not mean all, though. Yes, her strength is a bit low, but everything else is very good. Very fast, accurate and even pretty tanky. I unironically find her to be arguably the best character I've got.

2r7q92w.png

Again, a bit weak but again, quite capable otherwise.

2vt5bnt.png

Balanced stats, staves and swords on a horse...what more could you want? A bit more defense, perhaps, but still.

bf4y90.png

I must be cursed to only get mediocre-at-best Weiss. He's better then he was on my first playthrough...barely.

wiszlt.png

A tad weak, but otherwise pretty capable already, with good speed and acceptable defenses.

dh30bk.png

Very fast, very strong and VERY inaccurate. Yep, that sums him up.

107l2pv.png

Shame he starts with so little magic and speed, he'd be not that bad otherwise.

So here's my team:

Faratrass

faratrass.png

I feel like I didn't put too much effort in training her, even though, she looks like she has some very good potentual with having 6 levels to grow until promotion, so yeah, pretty decent magic, luck and defence, and skill I guess.

Rya

rya.png

Over-all, pretty decent, her speed, res and magic are very nice, making her a bow mage. (if only Fates weapon triangle were here)

So, yeah, pretty good at level 12, I'm expecting her to be an amazing... I dunno, Adventurer from Fates? Staves and bows anyone? No? Ok.

Cristoph

cristoph.png

After trying to get him to do something, I realised he's pretty bad, I wouldn't justify him even as a war monk, he's just meh.

I guess he can have good potentual if you get lucky with his level-up? I don't know, poor guy, also, I think Dan suits his name better, I also have a blonde haired friend named Dan, and the name means something in the lines of a believer/ worshipper of God.

Puledra

puledra.png

He heals, the end. Also I love his personality.

Andre

andre.png

The god among humans, tremble in fear, as this child takes Faratrass' place as the leader; (I didn't do any hacking, it just happened and I found it hilarious)

andre_is_the_new_leader_guys.png

Seriously, my Andre is A BEAST, seriously, 11 defence for a mage? Capped magic? 16 speed? This guy is beyond good. I think my Andre takes the place as the best Andre that will ever exist.

Cattleya

cattleya.png

She's a myrm, and myrms get benched, that's just how I roll, though she looks like a good mage killer. (actually, there are lots of units with high defensive capacities in Midnight Sun lol)

Menmus

menmus.png

I didn't really like his base stats, so I rolled without him, then after seeing other Menmuses I started feeling bad, because I see he has some amazing potentual.

Uncle Garondorf Garion

garion.png

I like brigands, though I felt like Djambo is gonna surpass him, I don't know how good he becomes, though.

Djambo

djambo.png

He turned out pretty beastly, so yeah, amazing strength, speed and luck, really decent unit, I'm expecting to see him as an amazing unit when he promotes.

Schwarz

schwarz.png

I really like using him, he misses a lot, and I love missing!

Either way I really find his personality funny, like a tumblr user who gets offended by everything, good strength and speed and great mobility, also his con is pretty good for a pegasus knight.

Sae'rah

sae_rah.png

Still in the midst of becoming somewhat usable, I hope she will turn out decently, at least she's pretty balanced over-all, I think she'll be a nice halberdier, also her con cap is too high for some reason.

Weiss

weiss.png

Weiss, the tank, the almighty overlord, the general.

This guy is an example of why cavaliers not needing to have good stats, he has canto, high mobility, good strength, axes and lances, very decent defense and hit points, he's just everything you need.

Ceapana

ceapana.png

Haven't gotten much cobat use of her, though she's easily better than Puledra, I think she'll become a decent paladin.

Letruffe

letruffe.png

Must say, for a thief, this guy has amazing combat abilities, very good strength, skill and speed, and stealing is very useful.

So, yeah, that's my team, I'm surprised anyone's read up to this part... if anyone even did.

Thank you for your feedback, guys. It's funny how Andre always turns out beastly despite my attempts at nerfing him, while Cristoph keeps being benched despite having received severe buffs. I think the RNG isn't really helping here. I got an average Andre and godlike Cristoph in my run (and so did some other people I know), so at least there's hoping that the game is still balanced lol.

Thank you for pointing out that Sae'rah's Con cap is wrong, @Glacoe. I didn't notice that. It's not relevant at all in this build, but it might be in v.3.0 when you'll be able to purchase stat-uppers. Luckily, that won't ever happen now.

Ah, I'll probably repeat myself, but people giving Cattleya some love will have an amazing unit in v.2.0.

Forgot I never showed you my characters

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_10_09.

Wish her speed was better, but overall was pretty much Micaiah but with Dark Magic and Defence instead of res.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_14.

Complete and utter glass cannon. But one with very good speed. More strength would have been nice but he was doubling enough to do work.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_24.

For his level Magic was fairly low considering he had those trainee levels + I think promotion bonus? Fairly decent though, certainly my magic absorbing tank.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_27.

She was... usable. Nothing stood out beyond her Res which was in demand. Good mage killer and flyer killer, so-so otherwise.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_31.

By the sounds of things, he might be speed blessed, lol. Pretty good all-rounder, was really happy to have the Agile Lance. Considering how early you get him I don't mind a wyvern rider with a bit of a flaw, as long as he can still take a hit and dish out some pain. That speed is veeeeery much borderline for still being usable though.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_35.

Cristoph was the double attacker, Garion was the "hit once, accurately and hard" for the axe users. Pretty nice defence though, wasn't expecting that out of him. Pretty comparable to Menmus, take away the wings and add a few more points of strength and skill.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_39.

Bah I got stuck bringing him into a chapter as a level 9 Rebel with 90 EXP. Kinda hurt how many levels total he got. Also had to reset a few times when he had gotten some really good level ups. As is he kinda... sucks but is under developed. Probably would have been pretty good at a comparable level to Garion and Cristoph.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_42.

Pretty great. Squishy but I can deal with that.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_46.

Ended up in a similar situation to Djambo (went into the same chapter as level 8 trainee with like 75 EXP), but turned out better. Weird to see a soldier with more res than def, but honestly a pretty great spread for that level.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_51.

Very meh sadly. No real weaknesses but nothing beyond skill stands out.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_16_54.

Crappy pre-promote is crappy.

FE_Midnight_Sun_1_6_2016_04_19_19_17_00.

Didn't get much time but hey, good direction.

Thank you for your feedback, guys. It's funny how Andre always turns out beastly despite my attempts at nerfing him, while Cristoph keeps being benched despite having received severe buffs. I think the RNG isn't really helping here. I got an average Andre and godlike Cristoph in my run (and so did some other people I know), so at least there's hoping that the game is still balanced lol.

Thank you for pointing out that Sae'rah's Con cap is wrong, @Glacoe. I didn't notice that. It's not relevant at all in this build, but it might be in v.3.0 when you'll be able to purchase stat-uppers. Luckily, that won't ever happen now.

Ah, I'll probably repeat myself, but people giving Cattleya some love will have an amazing unit in v.2.0.

Well, my Andre turned out mediocre, though that is probably the relative lack of levels talking. I also noticed that most people's Rya is mediocre while mine s consistently MVP.

I've also seen that in the Tower of Trials some of the female cavs have higher magic than strength, is that intentional?

EDIT: I think they have a pretty low con cap, I don't really remember too well, it's been over 1 month since I've beaten 1.6 lol. They also don't have the horse-aid boost for rescuing.

EDIT № 2:I feel like Cristoph is Arthur, mostly because he can turn out either amazing (watch Mangs' lp of Fates) or complete garbage.

Edited by Glacoe