Fire Emblem: Lament of Louise

Welcome to a world of dreams, imagination, and shoddy hacking abilities. This is a project I've been working on for the last week or so, and I felt that creating a topic here would give me some motivation to actually complete it. A lot of elements are still in the early stages, but I'd like some feedback on where I could be doing things better, or where I'm doing things completely wrong. I'm open to any criticism, etc, so no worries there. Ahem...

FE:LoL (I swear it's a coincidence...)

Story: Don't think of this as yet another Elibe sequel, but rather a side story, which follows Louise and Pent as the main characters. All of the characters that appear are neither canon nor particularly true to their FE7 personalities. It all starts when Pent is seen fleeing Reglay Manor. Louise gives chase, and discovers a terrible secret...

Progress:

-First 3 chapters are fully playable, with completely custom events and maps.

-Characters have been reclassed, with pretty flimsy explanations to be honest. Palettes have been adjusted accordingly.

-The dialogue is currently an outline of its eventual form, but mostly complete.

-Supports have been changed to focus on mainly single stat gains. (For example, Dark is the equivalent of Earth in PoR)

Currently working on:

-Chapter 4 events

-Chapter 4 map

-Got rid of the tactician creation.

-Getting good grades on my midterms...

To Do List:

-Fix the text so that it looks and flows better. Also I need to lengthen the important cutscenes so that they don't feel rushed. Aslo, remove typsos.

-Fix the maps. I need to get better at shading the maps, and making walls. Oh god, walls... Also, I could resize a bit, some maps are too big.

-Game balance has first priority, which is why I want some feedback. Cosmetic changes are lower on the list, unfortunately.

-Starting with chapter 5, some maps will be split screen, with 2 objectives. One for Pent, and one for Louise. Think like RD, where burning the supplies helps out the battlefield elsewhere. I think I can make it work.

-Item editing. I want to help out Louise more than the typical short bow switcheroo. We'll see, though.

-Supports. Supports will be custom, as much as I can manage. I think there are some interesting relationships that could be explored that weren't.

-Map Events. I have a filler map event, but as much as I hate to replace it, it must be done.

-A lot.

Screenshots:

15odunn.png4scpbb.png

1hb61w.png2qsq8b5.png

Patch:

I might have one out soon. I'm not sure if I should make it public, or to ask a few people for advice. I'll probably just make the first 3 chapters public, and then if by some miracle I get any decent length I'll test things more thoroughly.

Update: Well, I gave in. Here's just the first 3 chapters, in full HD! (Remember to start in Eliwood mode. I'll fix that eventually.)

LoL.zip

Edited by Oleksandr

Hey this looks interesting I love my female archers afterall,

if you need a tester for it feel free to PM me, I'd be more then willing.

Edited by Captain Jedi

Sorry, it actually was my fault. I made the patch incorrectly. Should be working now.

I have zero spriting ability, but I can change the palettes so that the mercenaries, cavaliers, etc., don't look messed up. Since I don't feature any new characters, it's not a priority.

Edited by Oleksandr

Sorry, it actually was my fault. I made the patch incorrectly. Should be working now.

I have zero spriting ability, but I can change the palettes so that the mercenaries, cavaliers, etc., don't look messed up. Since I don't feature any new characters, it's not a priority.

Well I downloaded it, seems to be working, I'll give you my opinion in a bit laugh.gif

The dialog is making me crack up a bit, "Set Weapons to Stun!" for winner of best line and the reclasses are explained well enough [Raven's and Prissy's making sense, Becca and Lowen's being more comical] balance seems to be good. Weapon descriptions also made me laugh

Is this suppose to be wan't as in he is mocking the guy or is this a typo?

3ad90e52f678dd930770683c00815051.png?1350524515

Also if I may suggest something for Louise, did you change peoples growths? I didn't notice much in my little romp through but Louise seemed to still have her pre-promote like growths it just bugs me a little that's all, I may just be unlucky

Edited by Captain Jedi

Yeah, text editing was one of the more fun elements of making this. I have a lot more to do in that department, though.

Yep, it's a typo. Stupid apostrophe's.

And yes, growths have been changed, for both allies and enemies. Everyone has pretty good growths, so I guess the goddess just wasn't on your side.

Thanks for the feedback. Any comment on the difficulty? I want to know if it's too easy/too hard.

Edited by Oleksandr

Yeah, text editing was one of the more fun elements of making this. I have a lot more to do in that department, though.

Yep, it's a typo. Stupid apostrophe's.

And yes, growths have been changed, for both allies and enemies. Everyone has pretty good growths, so I guess the goddess just wasn't on your side.

Thanks for the feedback. Any comment on the difficulty? I want to know if it's too easy/too hard.

Haha I can tell your having fun with the dialog it feels like I'm playing Earthbound xD.

Of course I'm unlucky with growths.. WHY DID I HAVE TO BE RIGHT. :P

Difficulty wise it felt a little on the easy side to be perfectly honest, chapter 3 upped the ante somewhat though, I think its just fine for the time being. Long as the future chapters up it more as it goes on

Edit: Now redoing ch 2 and 3 again I realize Lowen's Base Defense may be a little tooo high I know its the point of knights of being defensive gods but not much can hurt him even axes don't do that much xD.

Edited by Captain Jedi

Speaking of axes, who will be the first axe user?

Considering some of the reclassing that has been done, I'm half expecting it to be Lucius, claiming he wants to seem more manly.

The hack is cool so far, I'm liking the humor. I wonder what Chapter 4 is all about.

Hmm, I agree that Lowen is a bit too good in the early goings. He's the closest you'll get to a Jeigan, defense wise, because he'll slow down later on. I might make the adjustment, though.

The lack of axes will be rectified in the next chapter, with the joining of Bartre, of all people. I'm not a fan of the non-promoted axe users, despite hand axes being arguably the best weapon in the game. Thanks for the feedback, I'll make some more headway this weekend.

Hmm, I agree that Lowen is a bit too good in the early goings. He's the closest you'll get to a Jeigan, defense wise, because he'll slow down later on. I might make the adjustment, though.

The lack of axes will be rectified in the next chapter, with the joining of Bartre, of all people. I'm not a fan of the non-promoted axe users, despite hand axes being arguably the best weapon in the game. Thanks for the feedback, I'll make some more headway this weekend.

Your very welcome laugh.gif

Hmm, I think you just need to import a battery save on the windows vba, and for mac, you can just plonk the .sav in the battery save folder. Lyn mode is supposed to glitch up, since I replaced the prologue map with a custom map for a cutscene. I'll try and rewrite the events to Lyn mode, to avoid these problems in the future.

Got it to work. I didn't name the save the same thing as the game itself, evidently. Yes, I am an idiot. Looking forward to playing this. I'll get back to you with my thoughts when I finish.

Thoughts:

Overall, I really enjoyed this. You've done a very good job. I have a few minor things to consider:

The chapter intros could use some work. I like the idea of just saying here's another chapter. But if this is a long hack, it could get tedious. You've done a very good job keeping the dialogue humorous without becoming stupidly ridiculous. Try the same thing with the intros.

Rebecca's sentence about Lowen being just a friend and then talking about the mercenaries seems a bit off. The transition seems random. Adding something like anyway before the merc sentence should fix it, so "Hoho. Anyway, ...." Or, if you intended for the hoho to be that transition, and not laughing at the thought of being with Lowen, have that separated by a comma rather than a period, so "Hoho, those mercenaries..."

Raven's sentence "We need to be prepared, and enlist the help of others" could use some work. At least in my opinion; others may very well disagree. Anyway, try something like "We need to be prepared. We should enlist the help of others."

In the sentence talking about the people of Caerleon, try using an elipsis instead of a comma to symbolize the pause before odd.

When Louse says "What would I tell them" to Heath, maybe have him whisper something like (Thank Elminie. She doesn't know.) or say something like "Oh, nothing." Then have him use the enemies as an excuse to stop talking to her.

At the mine village, maybe have whoever stops there say something like (What's wrong with this girl?) after she's done talking about burning yourself.

In Louise's sentence about bringing back the dead, maybe do Laws of Nature instead of Law of Nature.

Heath and Farina need reasons for their class changes. Otherwise, you've covered them nicely.

As people have said, it's a bit on the easy side. Lowen's defense is absurd; he's basically invincible. Raven's also OP.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Hmm, all of those are good points, and some I had already considered changing. Right now the dialogue doesn't flow very well, because it's sort of in outline form. Once I have a couple more chapters in place, I think I'll start going back and really working on the chapters to completion.

Also, the map intros will be changed, too. I already have an idea of who the narrator will be.

Hmm, all of those are good points, and some I had already considered changing. Right now the dialogue doesn't flow very well, because it's sort of in outline form. Once I have a couple more chapters in place, I think I'll start going back and really working on the chapters to completion.

For the most part, it's quite good. It's just there are some places (the ones I mentioned) where it's a bit off.

Also, the map intros will be changed, too. I already have an idea of who the narrator will be.

I had a feeling that was the case, but I figured I should mention it just to be safe.