I Understand That There is no Canon ~ But is it just a matter of degree world

HeartTranquil

I know this question has been asked many times - is there canon or is there not? I understand that its really a matter of perspective... But you know I've been scrolling through Sumia's supports with the opposite genders and based on the content/nature of the support convos it seems to be "shipping" Krom and Sumia.

I dunno how tactfully I should put this, but Sumia's supports with other male characters except for Krom are surprisingly bland. She cares deeply about Krom during her supports and she tries SO HARD to make Krom a healthy meal (lunchboxes) all the time.

Now, the only other person that made lunch for someone else that she loved was Sariya. And she made it for MU... I'm not trying to imply anything here...

BUT you can argue that Sumia's efforts at going so far for helping Krom is the sign of a canon relationship. The question is, in her other supports, let's take the Sumia x Male MU support convos for example - don't they seem particularly bland (talking about books)? Where is the spark? Where is the affection? Where is the kind of care and understanding between Sumia and Krom?

Again, as much as I would want to believe there are no canon pairings, the nature and the content of the support convos seem to point the other way... at least to a certain degree? What do you guys think? In a sense I want to be proved wrong because I don't like this canon paring thing but I will know that I will feed bad if I paired off the "wrong couple" and failed to realize X person's feelings towards Y...huh.gif

I've not played the game or read the conversations, but as has been said before, it might not necessarily be canon just because the game pushes that pairing on us - Hector x Lyn and Eliwood x Ninian were pushed by the game in FE7, but ultimately it's left up to each individual player to decide what actually happens.

Just pair whatever you feel is the 'right couple', be that Sumia x Krom or not. You are the one who decides the canon in your copy of the game. (I mean, personally, I prefer Lyn x Rath in FE7. ;P)

Besides, this game's storyline, as far as I understand, runs on the idea that there are truckloads of alternate worlds in which loads of different things happen, so you could say that no matter what you do in your save file, it's feasible as one of many canon versions of the story.

I've not played the game or read the conversations, but as has been said before, it might not necessarily be canon just because the game pushes that pairing on us - Hector x Lyn and Eliwood x Ninian were pushed by the game in FE7, but ultimately it's left up to each individual player to decide what actually happens.

SumiaxKrom isn't 'pushed' it is in the intro of the game, they're standing together with their child. It's not really implied.

That is the big difference between the implied parings in FE7 and KromxSumia.

Edited by L95

I dunno. If canon is something intended by the game developer, then a CG opening isn't always canon. I mean, I assume an opening from a dating game might contain "mutually exclusive events" but later, only one might be considered "true" by the developer. Or all of them might be considered "true." Since openings in video games sometimes present possibilities rather than certainties (and things that never happen) I don't know why the image would be considered decisive evidence. The best you can really say is "they've never depicted a particular pairing in an FE game opening before," I think.

If it's something the fanbase looks at, there probably won't often be one canon if it involves something that happened outside of the game (let alone inside the game). But I think most fans would admit the possibility of pairings that a game facilitates - by nature of their possibility existing - even if they have preferences and believe one is more believable than another.

I don't think it's important once the fun of the discussion itself is gone though. If your concern is mostly "here's what the relationship is like in the game, is it canon" I would consider spending my time just examining the relationship, instead of figuring out if it falls under a label (like I spent this post doing). Also, it's worth pointing out that some relationships might be bland, and I'm not sure that feeling that a relationship appears bland is a good reason to assume it doesn't exist. I admit you might get somewhere on figuring out which relationships the people who made the game like more.

Edited by L1049

Sumia is probably so oblivious she didn't notice Tiamo's crush. Alternatively, she had a crush of her own, given that MaMU specifically references Krom in his S support with her.

Also saying that HectorLyn is canon in fe7 is like saying that KromFeMU is canon in this game.

EliwoodxNinian seems pretty canon to me since she can only pair with him and pairing them offers a new ending while pairing Eliwood with anyone else doesn't really change anything.

Sumia is probably so oblivious she didn't notice Tiamo's crush. Alternatively, she had a crush of her own, given that MaMU specifically references Krom in his S support with her.

Also saying that HectorLyn is canon in fe7 is like saying that KromFeMU is canon in this game.

True. Rath makes more sense due to various reasons. While a certain Pegasus Knight in Hector Hard Mode Only makes more sense for Hector due to the exclusiveness of it.

Personally I'm all for KentxSeth bromance. Kent can be the jealous super serious tsundere boyfriend while Seth is trying to get all the ladies attention.

Edited by Fanfaire

Would you feel the same way for EliwoodNinian?

No, because people's justification for HectorLyn seems to be 'they talk to each other a lot in story and have semi-romantic scenes,' which you could also say about Krom and FeMU. That doesn't means it's canon, that just means that the game developers don't want to check and see if the other love interests are still alive every time it happens.

EliwoodNinian is closer to canon because Ninian is always in love with him no matter what the player does, their support is the fastest growing of all of theirs, and they actually do hook up the novelization.

But this isn't the place to be discussing fe7 canon.

No, because people's justification for HectorLyn seems to be 'they talk to each other a lot in story and have semi-romantic scenes,' which you could also say about Krom and FeMU. That doesn't means it's canon, that just means that the game developers don't want to check and see if the other love interests are still alive every time it happens.

EliwoodNinian is closer to canon because Ninian is always in love with him no matter what the player does, their support is the fastest growing of all of theirs, and they actually do hook up the novelization.

I promise never to mention Hector x Lyn anywhere on this forum ever again, ever.

Ever.

Ever.

Also, if you're playing as MaMU then FeMU obviously doesn't even exist, so yeah.