Alright so I've seen a fair amount of vitriol expressed towards SOSHM. I have never played hard mode before,(I've been through normal mode over 6 times) And I have to wonder what makes it so hard? Please enlighten me.

Remember those wyvern riders in chapter 7? Those that are there just to ruin your day even on Normal?

They're face-crushingly ridiculous on Hard.

In general, Hard mode throws enemies at you that just like on Normal still can't hit for crap, but they have absurd amounts of HP and so much strength that nearly everything is a 2HKO even on your more resilient units. 20+ Atk by chapter 5 if perfectly common, so the likes of Chad cannot even realistically be used for combat at all - a single hit and they're dead.

That said, I still found it to be quite fun when it wasn't being outright unfair, so I'd advise you to just give it a try and see for yourself if you like it.

My biggest complaints about hard mode:

1. Some of the enemies are stupid strong. The NTs on Sacae route are fucking brutal, especially because they're almost impossible to hit and move incredibly far. Chapter 21 is another notable example of this nonsense.

2. The NPC AI can be fucking ridiculous. Recruiting Noah, Treck, and Zealot on Ch 7 was like pulling teeth, mostly because Treck would charge and be incapable of surviving the onslaught.

I still won't play it without savestates to account for these kinds of things.