For Veterans of FE: How Close to the Localisations Resemble the Original Japanese Texts?

HeartTranquil

For those of you who played previous FE games, how close does the localisations resemble the original Japanese text?

For example, the supports --> you can read quite a number of them translated by fans on the FAQ page. At the very least they give a good idea about what happens during supports and the general conversation dialogues are fleshed out.

Do you think NOA might COMPLETELY alter the conversation dialogue for example? I ask this because didn't Kid Icarus allow NOW "freehand" in terms of localization?

For example, this may contain spoilers:

Remember Sariya x Male MU? She says your her first love. She then makes a lunched box for your then later on you collapse due to a cold and she cares for you. Now will NOA deem the the support with Sariya too mature?

They may completely change the support convo with Sariya into something less suggestive and less mature? Maybe she will just say "can we be friends" or something? And Sariya will not be caring MU after he passes out from a cold because that is suggesting that Sariya and Male MU are alone together and that will be deemed suggestive?

I just want to know if previous FE games had more suggestive convos than the above and whether they have been completely altered in the NOA localization.

I don't think they would consider editing that at all. I mean, you can actually get married to her, so i think her saying she's in love with you... isn't exactly any more mature than that. As for the possibly suggestion scene, you may just be thinking about it a bit too hard. I didn't think of anything like that when I read that support (I really can't stop spoiling myself) and I doubt most other people will think of it either. I could end up being wrong here, and they edit it into a different type of support and relationship entirely, but I think anybody that knows how Sariya actually acts would just get upset if they changed her that much, and they probably wouldn't want to upset anybody over what could easily not be noticed by most players.

No I didn't think that Sariya caring for male MU's cold is in anyway too suggestive, its simply a caring friend watching over (you) with wet towels, water, medicine and maybe a bit of Sariya's cooling curses... I do not believe it is anything suggestive at all. But I was just scared that oversensitive NOA localization teams may think otherwise...

They are bound to add their own dash of really, really great flavour to the support conversations because Japanese is a really, really dull language.

I'm pretty sure NOA's never greatly altered any text, but they have added tons of flavour. There are exceptions though.

In FE8, one or more of Garcia and Dozla's supports were completely rewritten, because the original talked about alcohol. The new support has them trying out non-axe weaponry.

In FE10, the Black Knight's loss of armour isn't explained, because it was super-cheesy in the original. The entire blood pact scenario is slightly different--it was rather vague in the original and was written to be more clear and positive in English. Some of the Dawn Brigade scenes are also different, if memory recalls, but I wasn't really paying attention. I know the Sothe and Micaiah scene at the end of the penultimate Part 3 chapter is different (not just because Micaiah can inherit the blood pact in the original).

I'm pretty sure that FE10 was the only one that was significantly altered when it came to text. Just simply switching the text files in the Wii ISO (the Japanese text is still in the English version) showed some interesting half-body event differences... but they're pretty subtle text changes. Not really changing the story or anything.

Same how they got changes in the World Map Narration events before the start of a chapter. I remember there wasn't even a World Map preview event in Part 3 Prologue about Ike leaving the courts of Crimea as a noble back to being a mercenary out of disgust in the Japanese version.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Depends on what rating they're shooting for. If they're shooting for an "E" rating, then they'll probably change some stuff. But with them most likely shooting for a "T" rating, they probably won't change anything.

Doesn't Nns father support have her ask if her dad "was one of those people who likes little girls", if my brain isn't making that up out of nowhere, I could see them rewording it or changing it altogether.

Even if it wasn't in a support, I remember someone mentioning a line like that somewhere...

Edited by L95

Doesn't Nns father support have her ask if her dad "was one of those people who likes little girls", if my brain isn't making that up out of nowhere, I could see them rewording it or changing it altogether.

Even if it wasn't in a support, I remember someone mentioning a line like that somewhere...

No, you remembered it EXACTLY right.

Nn was saying that her mother always acts like a child. And that she's wondering why her father (Gaia in this case) would choose such a child. This makes it even more funny because Gaia is the "gives you sweets" thief. Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

Daddoyoulikelittlegirls.png

Edited by shadowofchaos