Fire Mumblem: The Chronicles of Lussaria (Beta 1 Released! 1/2/2014)

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This looks amazing. I would love to do a Let's Play of this hack once I'm done with The Last Promise! Fully voice acted in true Mangs style of course!

I%27m%20onto%20something%20here%20%28v2%

You know, as fun as this level seems to play, I would like to have myself a word with the architect of that fortress. Why would he create a stairway leading up into a corridor with no end or doors on the eastern side? It seems like the crack in the wall stems from someone being frustrated and trying to make their own doorway xD

Edited by Mangs

This looks amazing. I would love to do a Let's Play of this hack once I'm done with The Last Promise! Fully voice acted in true Mangs style of course!

You know, as fun as this level seems to play, I would like to have myself a word with the architect of that fortress. Why would he create a stairway leading up into a corridor with no end or doors on the eastern side? It seems like the crack in the wall stems from someone being frustrated and trying to make their own doorway xD

A let's play would be neat, but I think before any of that is considered, I'd want to release the first patch, get some critique, and then polish it up so that it's ready for a proper let's play.

Erm... wait, you voice act? Please link me to an example. I don't like voice acting. At all. So I might ask you to avoid it.

And uh... yeah. The architecture doesn't make sense. I don't really mind though. I'm more concerned about gameplay, and in some cases -- especially gimmicks -- logic might just be thrown straight out the window.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

A let's play would be neat, but I think before any of that is considered, I'd want to release the first patch, get some critique, and then polish it up so that it's ready for a proper let's play.

Erm... wait, you voice act? Please link me to an example. I don't like voice acting. At all. So I might ask you to avoid it.

Here's a random video (Yes I am aware that the Kelik voice is a little over the top, but my subscribers seemed to love it, so I kept doing it)

Link to my channel

You can check out my latest Last Promise or Sacred Dawn videos for some more examples. I always voice act dialogue, as people have been giving positive feedback about it, and I also feels like it connects both me and the viewers more to the game. It wouldn't feel the same to simply just read quietly through dialogue.

Edited by Mangs

Here's a random video (Yes I am aware that the Kelik voice is a little over the top, but my subscribers seemed to love it, so I kept doing it)

Link to my channel

You can check out my latest Last Promise or Sacred Dawn videos for some more examples. I always voice act dialogue, as people have been giving positive feedback about it, and I also feels like it connects both me and the viewers more to the game. It wouldn't feel the same to simply just read quietly through dialogue.

You're getting positive feedback from people on Youtube. People on Youtube typically don't really know what is good because there is no quality control. Chances are, you'll get only praise and no criticism, unless you're absolutely terrible, or explicitly ask for critique, and even then, it's unlikely. That's just how Youtube is.

I'd like to suggest an alternative; Practice talking about the text instead of reading it. What I mean is something like this.

Kelik: I kick kittens, but really I'm a nice guy, I swear!
Anakin: You... kick kittens?
You: Wow. Kelik, you should probably do something about that kitten kicking compulsion. Doesn't matter how nice you are, I love kittens, so that makes you bad in my book.

The thing is, people can read. They don't need the text to be read to them, and you're not contributing anything insightful like criticism, observations, or jokes when you do such.

Of course, since you've already established that you voice act, chances are, people will complain if you don't, but that's just because people don't like change, even if it's for the better, and when a majority of people get something into their head, they're convinced that it's correct, and that any other way is wrong. Arrogance becomes a symptom of consensus.

Just look at the Game Grumps for example. When Jontron was replaced by Danny, their videos got tons of dislikes and negative comments because people automatically assumed Danny was inferior. When the viewers started to realize he was just as good - if not, better - than Jontron, they started to shut up, or even leave positive comments. (For the record, I immediately liked Danny)

Hopefully this helps. Either way, I'm fine with you LPing the game, and even if you don't take my advice I'll still watch it; commentary or not, seeing how the player behaves can give the creator valuable information that they can use to redesign and polish their hack. Polish and good design are my key focuses. That, and the jokes. I want the jokes to make people laugh.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

You're getting positive feedback from people on Youtube. People on Youtube typically don't really know what is good because there is no quality control. Chances are, you'll get only praise and no criticism, unless you're absolutely terrible, or explicitly ask for critique, and even then, it's unlikely. That's just how Youtube is.

I'd like to suggest an alternative; Practice talking about the text instead of reading it. What I mean is something like this.

Kelik: I kick kittens, but really I'm a nice guy, I swear!
Anakin: You... kick kittens?
You: Wow. Kelik, you should probably do something about that kitten kicking compulsion. Doesn't matter how nice you are, I love kittens, so that makes you bad in my book.

The thing is, people can read. They don't need the text to be read to them, and you're not contributing anything insightful like criticism, observations, or jokes when you do such.

Of course, since you've already established that you voice act, chances are, people will complain if you don't, but that's just because people don't like change, even if it's for the better, and when a majority of people get something into their head, they're convinced that it's correct, and that any other way is wrong. Arrogance becomes a symptom of consensus.

Just look at the Game Grumps for example. When Jontron was replaced by Danny, their videos got tons of dislikes and negative comments because people automatically assumed Danny was inferior. When the viewers started to realize he was just as good - if not, better - than Jontron, they started to shut up, or even leave positive comments. (For the record, I immediately liked Danny)

Hopefully this helps. Either way, I'm fine with you LPing the game, and even if you don't take my advice I'll still watch it; commentary or not, seeing how the player behaves can give the creator valuable information that they can use to redesign and polish their hack. Polish and good design are my key focuses. That, and the jokes. I want the jokes to make people laugh.

I am under no illusion that the way I do things are the “right way”, only that it is merely “my way” of doing it. It should also be said that there are channels on youtube where people with terrible microphones and horrible voices gets praise for their content, so don’t worry; I do not imagine myself sitting on a golden internet throne just because there’s a few people singing my praises.

I am well aware that people can read, but there’s something pleasant about someone narrating to you either way. It’s like a sports commentator telling you someone just kicked the ball, you have eyes and are able to see it very well for yourself, but you still don’t mind a guy telling you what’s going on.

I also think that voice-acting dialogue connects me to the game and the characters, and thus the viewers as well. Giving them different voices allows me to “get to know them” better, silly as it sounds. I also like to think that my voice is not horrible to listen to, and I’ve invested into a good microphone (which I think any decent LP’er should).

That being said, you are the creator and I will respect your wishes. If you have a strong desire for me NOT to voice act your hack, then I shall refrain from making a Let’s Play of it (as much as I want to). However, I think I might get you to change your mind about voice acting if you me a chance!

Edited by Mangs

I am under no illusion that the way I do things are the “right way”, only that it is merely “my way” of doing it. It should also be said that there are channels on youtube where people with terrible microphones and horrible voices gets praise for their content, so don’t worry; I do not imagine myself sitting on a golden internet throne just because there’s a few people singing my praises.

I am well aware that people can read, but there’s something pleasant about someone narrating to you either way. It’s like a sports commentator telling you someone just kicked the ball, you have eyes and are able to see it very well for yourself, but you still don’t mind a guy telling you what’s going on.

I also think that voice-acting dialogue connects me to the game and the characters, and thus the viewers as well. Giving them different voices allows me to “get to know them” better, silly as it sounds. I also like to think that my voice is not horrible to listen to, and I’ve invested into a good microphone (which I think any decent LP’er should).

That being said, you are the creator and I will respect your wishes. If you have a strong desire for me NOT to voice act your hack, then I shall refrain from making a Let’s Play of it (as much as I want to). However, I think I might get you to change your mind about voice acting if you me a chance!

The way you explain yourself does kind of make sense to me, and I do remember watching Trask Nari's LPs of the Chzo Mythos series and liking his voice acting, but I think he's the only one who has pulled it off in a way I like.

Either way, I'm not gonna be anal about it. Go ahead and voice act. You don't need my approval/permission anyway, and you might prove me wrong. =X

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

2uqofah.png

I'm sorry Markyjoe, I had to!

I don't mind. It was amusing to read what you were saying, but I think I should mention that that's not the latest version of the map. Check a few pages in to the thread and you'll see the new version.

Sorry if this is wrong but this: http://gyazo.com/fc1b7f1b14646d3a27163993305d66cf looks kinda off to me. I think the wall can connect there without there being a height problem.

It's an old version of the map, so... just disregard it. The newer version is in this thread somewhere.

oh sorry

then I guess you mean this one, if not I'm just gonna stop posting:

Defense%20Attempt%202a.png

Well I'm not 100% sure but I think that the walls have some height errors... like here: http://gyazo.com/be6fbb4d51d6158c900bd1beafc75769

You start out on the ground and the walls are 2 levels high, then you go up one level and the wall is one level high, and then you go up again, but the wall is still one level high. You have the same problem here: http://gyazo.com/6a6f08ebe3650224c86867dfd566d694 , the wall is 2 levels high, like the pillar and then when you go up one level it's still two levels high.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welp.

It's been how long and still no demo released? I think Blazer had a point when he said I was too worried about the quality of the project...

Originally, this project was just a solo thing I was doing to give my friend, BuringPenitentEngine something to record for his channel. I think that was one of the main driving forces as to why I made this hack in the first place. Ever since we fell out years ago, It's never been the same, and now it's gotten way out of hand. I've become too ambitious for my own good.

So... I'm gonna restore this project back to it's original roots. I'm removing all of it's publicity and limiting all knowledge of the game to the video commentaries I'm going to have done for it. No more trying to hype this shit up, or attempting to impress the community. From now on, this project is about getting some blokes on youtube to record it for the amusement of my crew and I.

• 1 month later...

So... I'm gonna restore this project back to it's original roots. I'm removing all of it's publicity and limiting all knowledge of the game to the video commentaries I'm going to have done for it. No more trying to hype this shit up, or attempting to impress the community. From now on, this project is about getting some blokes on youtube to record it for the amusement of my crew and I.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd love to make a LP of your work, so contact me if you're interested.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd love to make a LP of your work, so contact me if you're interested.

Right now, I'm kind of at a snag with the project due to story writing, so it's gonna be while before any more progress occurs.

Speaking of which, I think I should mention to everyone that I will be continuing to provide updates like before. Shutting the project in isolation was a selfish idea considering so many people outside of the team have contributed to the project.

Right now, I'm kind of at a snag with the project due to story writing, so it's gonna be while before any more progress occurs.

Speaking of which, I think I should mention to everyone that I will be continuing to provide updates like before. Shutting the project in isolation was a selfish idea considering so many people outside of the team have contributed to the project.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Anyway, this project looks cool. It sucks it won't get a public release. The gimmicks sound like interesting ideas on their own

I hope you do well on this project.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Anyway, this project looks cool. It sucks it won't get a public release. The gimmicks sound like interesting ideas on their own

I hope you do well on this project.

Whoa whoa whoa. I never said there wouldn't be a public release. I said there would be no public updates on it's progress, and that is no longer the case either.

Speaking of which... I should also mention that we finally got some dialogue done. The prologue is 99% complete.

Whoa whoa whoa. I never said there wouldn't be a public release. I said there would be no public updates on it's progress, and that is no longer the case either.

Speaking of which... I should also mention that we finally got some dialogue done. The prologue is 99% complete.

Oh?

Well, that's cool.

What's with the 1% :D

Well, think I have an idea for a chapter

But

Im not sure if you need anymore people

And i Would need to develop the idea a bit more before i can say id want to join

Alright, well, when you're ready to present the idea, I'm all ears. Any help is appreciated.