Fire Mumblem: The Chronicles of Lussaria (Beta 1 Released! 1/2/2014)

MarkyJoe1990

That doesn't require ASM.

And since I might as well suggest something, why not enemies that get more powerful the more HP they lose? Super Robot Wars does this sort of stuff with the prevail skill, where an enemy's power and defense will go up whilst their HP goes down. It's kind of cool.

I was just suggesting something that the player wouldn't expect. I don't think it needs to be ASM.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Marc wants ASM suggestions, since he made a huge post about how he's discovered ASM, and wants ideas to test it out.

Also your idea is ambush spawning which is not only unfair to the player but something Marc hates.

I'm pretty sure Marc wants ASM suggestions, since he made a huge post about how he's discovered ASM, and wants ideas to test it out.

Also your idea is ambush spawning which is not only unfair to the player but something Marc hates.

Well, it was worth a shot. But who cares?

Let's get back on topic.

What he described didn't sound like ambush spawning to me... Actually, who coined that term anyway?

That's a stupid idea anyway. Why would enemies already be at the place you're trying to keep them away from?

Make an ASM hack where your characters are all decently strong, but can never recover lost HP.

Now look who's providing stupid ideas.

That would be an inconvenience and would induce frustration among the players.

Now look who's providing stupid ideas.

That would be an inconvenience and would induce frustration among the players.

OK, stupid was a little harsh. let's say your idea is silly then.

My idea would be for something like a challenge hack. You start off with pretty good units, they only take 2-3 damage if they get hit, no big deal, until you realize their health doesn't come back. See how far you can get in a hack designed like the tower/ruins from FE8. Throw in some obstacles that make the player think a little more about what units to use to attack what, and to watch their positioning so they don't get swarmed and lose a ton of HP.

IDK, I thought it'd be cool. I have no idea where i'm going with this.

OK, stupid was a little harsh. let's say your idea is silly then.

My idea would be for something like a challenge hack. You start off with pretty good units, they only take 2-3 damage if they get hit, no big deal, until you realize their health doesn't come back. See how far you can get in a hack designed like the tower/ruins from FE8. Throw in some obstacles that make the player think a little more about what units to use to attack what, and to watch their positioning so they don't get swarmed and lose a ton of HP.

IDK, I thought it'd be cool. I have no idea where i'm going with this.

That would be good as a resistance test.

It can be done without ASM just by removing any healing item and staff... because, who needs those things if you can't even use them.

It would certainly be good for a single chapter. Creating a special character like Kishuna who casts an area where you can't heal your people. Maybe put him in the center of a maze. And make it full of enemies. =P

Now that'd be a challenge.

And now it's time for a rant because I'm extremely pissed off.

Today's rant is Defense missions.

Let's take a look at the defense map I created.

I%27m%20onto%20something%20here%20%28v2%29.png

I have no god damn idea how to make an effective defense mission, so I've been relying on what MageKnight404 has said in his LPs, and what my friend JadeWyvernRider says. One of the things Jade told me is that I should create a "boundary" that the player should never EVER cross. The result? I placed a ton of super dangerous units outside the castle, positioned so that if you step a square past the staircases leading out of the castle, you will get attacked by at least 6 units in a single enemy phase, guaranteeing that you will lose a unit.

Naturally I want the player to be able to reach the villages, so I lowered the enemy densities in the paths leading to the villages, making the player able to reasonably fight their way through to get the villages.

Then I realized I have way too many units in the map. 43 to be exact, and the max is 50 per alliance. Meaning I can only spawn 7 units each turn.

So I decide that I'm going to lower the density of enemy units starting with the top left corner of the map, which - prior to the change - had three berserkers, two falcoknights, a swordmaster and two generals. To compensate for the lowered enemy count, I gave them better equipment to ensure a kill. I didn't want to give them brave weapons since brave weapons are way too overpowered as they are right now (I'll likely lower their hit to compensate), so I give them stuff like killer and mythril weapons. Problem is that when I put Shigeid (A fast warrior) in their range to test, he didn't die. More equipment changes, and then finally he dies. Then I test it with Jonsin (A paladin) and he lives because he managed to dodge enough hits. This pisses me off so I switch the classes over to ones with high skill, then change their weapons to stuff with high hit.

Then I realize that I don't have enough units to make more than 3 attack at the same time.

More repositioning until I realize the mountain is preventing me from appropriately placing units, so I move it. Minutes later, I have to remove the entire mountain, then I lose my temper and ragequit after I realize how butchered the map looks aethetically.

fucked%20up.png

Not only that, but now the player has a very clear path to the left village because the castle's walls and the river don't reach far enough to create a "wall" that forces the player to exit through the south.

I don't even know if I'm doing this shit right, but it's pissing me the hell off. I might have to redesign the entire map just so it can function the way I want it to.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

there's a trick around that, supposedly; check the "Obscure Hacking Tips" thread. I haven't used it myself so I can't attest to how it works or anything, though. I'm also not sure how... potent it'll be in a chapter like this.

Meaning I can only spawn 7 units each turn.

You can only spawn 7 units the first turn + however many units they kill thereafter. If they kill only 2 units and you try to spawn like, 8, I'm pretty sure it'll only spawn 2 of them. XP

@FalconVegeta

I actually like that idea

I think that's very interesting

I'm actually really interested in doing it o_O I'd give the player a lot of HP to accomodate though XP

No deep water tiles used sad face.

And I spot river tiles being used in the lower left for the cliffs. Looks off and the animations won't match.

Why not just lower the might of brave weapons a little bit and give only one enemy/very few enemies brave weapons?

No deep water tiles used sad face.

Until now, I didn't even know there were deep water tiles. Gonna fix that soon.

And I spot river tiles being used in the lower left for the cliffs. Looks off and the animations won't match.

I did that so pirates can get to the village. If it's a big problem, I'll find some other way to give them access.

Why not just lower the might of brave weapons a little bit and give only one enemy/very few enemies brave weapons?

I might do that.