Fire Mumblem: The Chronicles of Lussaria (Beta 1 Released! 1/2/2014)

MarkyJoe1990

They can, but for the sake of making more visual sense, I made the water look more shallow.

The issue isn't the ocean they have to cross, it's the cliffs they can't cross.

So, your try is probably the best one for that tileset. Unless you give pirates the ability to move over cliffs.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, options are kinda limited but I will say that you can at least smooth things out by using these transition tiles:

1dfe34c78ebfd1cba2577dd846c309e2.png

Using these on both your deep water (Which seems pretty straight cut) and the shallow water you could probably make it look okay. The only issue is the tile animations...

• 3 weeks later...

Holy cow. I'm actually making the first chapter!? GASP!!

Screen1.PNGScreen2.PNGScreen3.PNGscreen4.PNG

As you can plainly see from these screenshots, my ability to balance characters is complete garbage. That said, I'm thinking about moving that village higher up so that the player doesn't have to drag a unit so far away from the combat just to get a silly elixir. I want my chapters to be fast paced and quick to beat, so this will probably help.

Anyways, here's the entire map for those curious.

prologue.png

The boss (currently Batta) is at the top village, equipped with a hand axe and...

screen5.PNG

...questionably high stats.

Yeah. Expect lots of self deprecation in these posts.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

1. Holy cow. I'm actually making the first chapter!? GASP!!

Screen1.PNGScreen2.PNGScreen3.PNGscreen4.PNG

2. As you can plainly see from these screenshots, my ability to balance characters is complete garbage. That said, I'm thinking about moving that village higher up so that the player doesn't have to drag a unit so far away from the combat just to get a silly elixir. I want my chapters to be fast paced and quick to beat, so this will probably help.

3. Anyways, here's the entire map for those curious.

prologue.png

4. The boss (currently Batta) is at the top village, equipped with a hand axe and...

screen5.PNG

...questionably high stats.

Yeah. Expect lots of self deprecation in these posts.

I put numbers in the post so replying is easier...

1. *gasp*

2. I recomend lowering Lussaria's stats a bit.

3. Interesting....

4. It's Lussaria's long lost brother in disquise.

In any case, this looks rather nice!

First time seeing Lussaria's mug.

First thought to my mind was...

IS THAT FUCKING VALTER?

Edit: Oops not very relevant.

From what you're saying about character balance.

It's probably because of your Mercenary (which I presume to be Jeigan with ability to promote.) Or the fact that you probably have too weak enemy units to make it too easy for player to overcome.

...wowisuckatcritiquebrbshootingmyself

Edited by Ubel Engel

Funny you should mention that. We do in fact have a character who is just as psychotic as valter. Only one thing. He's on your side.

OMAGISH!

Perfect.

Now I can enjoy slaughtering innocent units for no reason...

2. I recomend lowering Lussaria's stats a bit.

Uh, no, why should he?

I think she's pretty unbalanced between strenght, speed and defense which only means that she's a balanced unit.

Also I think that Batta would 1TKO her.

Funny you should mention that. We do in fact have a character who is just as psychotic as valter. Only one thing. He's on your side.

Changed her character once again? :D

prologue%20v2.png

I reworked the prologue map to make it less tall. I also repositioned the trees and changed the path to the village. Also made it guarded by a bandit so Feltyn isn't completely irrelevant for the map.

For the rest of the chapter, I positioned the trees and enemies in a way so that Lucy can solo it while also always having enemies to deal with each turn. I can complete the chapter in 4 turns if Lucy's 77 hit on the boss doesn't miss. By the end of the chapter, Lucy should be level 3.

Now I just need to make the dialogue for the chapter and then maybe I'll showcase it.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 2 weeks later...

FIVE BILLION YEARS LATER...

We finally have our essential cast! 12 characters total.

I'm honestly amazed that I managed to get so much support for this project. I'm really greatful for all the help I've received.

For everyone else, Just be aware that the names are subject to change. Also, ignore the levels and stats.

Lucy.PNG

This is our main character, Lussaria. AKA Lucy. She's the game's first shaman. Not sure if we're gonna have more than one, but giving the player more options would be nice, but so long as we have one of the essential classes then we're still good.

This portrait was done by SquareRootOfPi a long while ago. He's damn amazing.

Feltyn.PNG

This is Feltyn. He's... pretty much a parody of the "satelite character", as in, his entire character relies around Lucy. He even has the "childhood friend who has a crush on her" part going down.

Unfortunately, due to story related reasons, Lucy doesn't quite have the same affections!

I REALLY wish I knew who made this portrait. I think the guy's name was something like "Nickt" or something... wait... I think that's it. =S

Poalski.PNG

This is Poalski, the knight. He's notable for joining your mercenary group for two reasons. 1) Money and 2) he likes to kill things. REALLY likes to kill things. Need I say more?

This portrait was done by Cedar Nyx. A surprisingly competent splicer despite having only done this few times before.

Jonsin.PNG

Jonsin. Our cavalier, and the biggest pussy to ever exist. He's cowardly, easily excited, and kind of the butt of many jokes. You will feel bad for him. Probably.

This portrait was done by Isacc.

Kinsan.PNG

Initially a priest, we changed Kinsan's class to Monk because healers kind of suck when a horse isn't included with their packaging. Kinsan's probably the most interesting character on paper; he's a holy man who has started to question his faith in the wake of seeing things he wish he didn't. Not sure if we're gonna stick with that, but hey, better than nothing, right?

His portrait is another work made by Cedar Nyx. The name is based on a game I made when I was younger about an old geezer of a wizard who solved dungeons, like every text adventure ever.

Shigeid.PNG

This guy is Shigeid. Cedar Nyx thought I was going for a myrmidon when I showed my concept "art" to her, but it worked out nonetheless. He's a fighter, or rather, a lumberjack (Note to self: change Fighter class name to lumberjack) who wants... new clothes. That's it. Prolly gonna change this. Either way, LOOK AT HIM! He's clearly an Othin rip off! That's far from a bad thing though. He picked the best damn fighter to rip off.

Made by Cedar Nyx btw.

Sharla.PNG

Okay. Get this. I want my "villain empire" to specialize in magic users and pegasus riders. Unique, right? Probably not, but still! Sharla's a character who I have planned to defect her nation, but honestly I'm probably going to change that. I suck at backstories and we haven't quite worked on the plot yet.

Her portrait was done by Furetchen, who is no longer part of the project. We kind of got into a fight. Regardless, Furetchen contributed a lot regarding class balancing, and both that and this portrait are contributions I greatly appreciate.

Marina.PNG

This is Marina... the archer... ......

I hate archers. They are the worst damn class in Fire Emblem. Ever. That said, I do intend to make archers less terrible in this hack, by way of longbows and greatbows, and making their stats better. NOT GONNA USE SHORT BOWS THOUGH. FUCK THOSE. They ruin the whole point of the archer! ...

Oh yeah. TOTALLY not a rip off of Rachel from The Last Promise by the way.

Her portrait was done by SgtSmilies.

Sorlene.PNG

Cross eyed her is named Sorlene. She hasn't really been delved into in terms of character yet, but so far I have her set to be a "Noble with a lust for adventure".

This portrait was done by Nayr, who left the project after we got into a fight. Regardless, while the eyes bother the hell out of me, it's otherwise a decent portrait, and I'm thankful he contributed it before he left.

Yurino.PNG

This lass right here is our thief, Yurino. Right now, her goal is to become rich... And that's all the personality I have written down for her right now.

As you can imagine, much of this is still in the works.

Her portrait was done by OverlordPichu.

Zelisse.PNG

This is our dancer, Zelisse. There's not much else to say besides her neck is too long.

She was also done by OverlordPichu.

Flovu.PNG

Her placeholder name is Flovu, but anyway, she's the troubadour of the game. JadeWyvernRider suggested we make Kinsan a monk and give the healing shtick to a troubadour because healers generally kind of suck due to their crap movement. I think this was a good decision.

OverlordPichu did this portrait as well.

Anyways, ontop of having all these characters, I also have VIDEO FOOTAGE!!!

As you can see, we decided to change the plot. A lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fEaHTkFhbc

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Also, on the subject of this whole project, I'm sorry I haven't been able to do much. TBH, I have been busy IRL as well as on FE Forums. I can't say that I will be able to get any work associated with this project in the near future; I do believe that I can get some work done associated with this project later on if I get my priorities straight and finish some other stuff. So, what I am asking is if you mind me continuing my hiatus and then starting my work with this project or would you rather have me formally step down from this project in light of the current situation. It's fine by me either way, but I would like to check in with you (and if any of the others have an opinion on this, I am open to that as well.)

Also, on the subject of this whole project, I'm sorry I haven't been able to do much. TBH, I have been busy IRL as well as on FE Forums. I can't say that I will be able to get any work associated with this project in the near future; I do believe that I can get some work done associated with this project later on if I get my priorities straight and finish some other stuff. So, what I am asking is if you mind me continuing my hiatus and then starting my work with this project or would you rather have me formally step down from this project in light of the current situation. It's fine by me either way, but I would like to check in with you (and if any of the others have an opinion on this, I am open to that as well.)

Step down for now and just come back later when you have the luxury and time to make contributions. No rush.

Marina.PNG

This is Marina... the archer... ......

I hate archers. They are the worst damn class in Fire Emblem. Ever. That said, I do intend to make archers less terrible in this hack, by way of longbows and greatbows, and making their stats better. NOT GONNA USE SHORT BOWS THOUGH. FUCK THOSE. They ruin the whole point of the archer! ...

Oh yeah. TOTALLY not a rip off of Rachel from The Last Promise by the way.

Her portrait was done by SgtSmilies.

you're right. she isn't. Ive never gotten than far in TLP.

So would do you need? I have found this thread recently and would be willing to submit. I'm sorry if I'm just brain dead, but can't come where I'd insert one.

Also what do you want to do with thiefs? Are they promoting to rouges or assassins

So would do you need? I have found this thread recently and would be willing to submit. I'm sorry if I'm just brain dead, but can't come where I'd insert one.

Also what do you want to do with thiefs? Are they promoting to rouges or assassins

Prolly gonna make thieves promote to Rogues. Assassin is probably one of the worst promotions in FE7. 'Course, I could always just improve the assassin class, but I never felt it fit the thief class as a promotion in the first place.

Also, what are you looking to submit? Portraits? Chapters? Something else? Go ahead and add me on skype. When I'm done cleaning, we'll talk.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 3 weeks later...

Heya everyone! I'm still working on this!

In fact, here's some material to look at.

First, we have the new player phase theme I created. Check it out!

Next, we have some screenshots

Chapter%201.png

Do note, the ally map sprite palette isn't set in stone. I might stick to purple unless I decide blue is the better choice.

Booze.PNG

Vulneraries have been replaced with the cure to misery!

Amnesia.PNG

Unfortunately, while I have greatly improved my comedy writing, I can't show any examples of jokes in the hack in a single screenshot, so...

Anyways, there's one other change I wanna show.

Less%20Creepy.PNG

The Taylor Swift joke I made earned no laughs, and the whole "I created you with my feminine side" did not sit well with a few people. As a response, I removed both. Now you can successfully get through the prelude cutscene and feel less creeped out! Hurray! I also polished up the prelude cutscene a bit more outside of what I'm showing here. It doesn't have any jokes, but at least it feels more natural. Sometimes you just gotta take a moment to be serious once in a while I guess.

Anyways, I think this is a pretty good update now. I'd like to show off Chapter 1, but currently due to a devious ASM I'm testing, chapter 1 isn't fully functional. Though, even if it was, I want to make a few changes to enemy placement.

Speaking of which, I have a problem regarding villages, and I'm curious as to whether anyone else has been having this issue. Whenever I visit a village, it gets destroyed. is there a way to fix this? The destroyed village tile change has a lower ID number than the saved village, so it should in theory work, but it doesn't. Could it be that by setting the village's visit ID to 0x00 that it does this?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990