Fire Mumblem: The Chronicles of Lussaria (Beta 1 Released! 1/2/2014)

MarkyJoe1990

You need to change the order they appear in, not the ID assigned to them. The game uses the IDs for manual tile changes, for automatic tile changes it will use the last valid map change in a list. i.e. if your list looks like

savedVillageTileChange

destroyedVillageTileChange

tileChangeEnd

it needs to be changed to

savedVillageTileChange

tileChangeEnd

If this doesn't fix it, I don't know what could cause this otherwise.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to change the order they appear in, not the ID assigned to them. The game uses the IDs for manual tile changes, for automatic tile changes it will use the last valid map change in a list. i.e. if your list looks like

savedVillageTileChange

tileChangeEnd

it needs to be changed to

savedVillageTileChange

tileChangeEnd

If this doesn't fix it, I don't know what could cause this otherwise.

Okay, I checked my tiled map stuff and... things were in the order you said they SHOULD be in... so I flipped the positions of the destroyed and saved village tile changes... and that worked! Thanks dude/tte, you're my hero/ine!

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Just a personal opinion, but I think that if you change the ally map sprite palette, you should change the enemy ones, as well. XP

As do I, it just looks odd to have a new palette for only one specific faction while leaving the rest as-is.

Also, you may want to change "Copper Sword" to "Cpr sword", "Copper swd", etc.

Just a personal opinion, but I think that if you change the ally map sprite palette, you should change the enemy ones, as well. XP

Agreed. Blue and Red had the contrast.

Your new Ally color does not have contrast with the red.

Just make it Orange and we're good to go!

Also, you may want to change "Copper Sword" to "Cpr sword", "Copper swd", etc.

Wouldn't it be Bronze, btw? Swords made of copper aren't very threatening.

Unless it's like the (just as unthreatening) Silver swords, and it's just a coating?

Wouldn't it be Bronze, btw? Swords made of copper aren't very threatening.

Unless it's like the (just as unthreatening) Silver swords, and it's just a coating?

I don't intend for copper swords to be threatening. After all, they're the E Rank sword. Bronze Swords are D rank.

As for map sprite palettes... my group of merry men seems to be against the purple map sprite idea, so I might just change it back to blue. =X

I dunno. I kind of wanna make more visual changes to the game since after playing hacks for so long, I feel they could really use a fresh coat of paint, y'know?

I suppose it's also beneficial in another way in that people are drawn to a hack more by it's graphics than anything else, it seems.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Giving it a fresh coat of paint is fine

Changing things like map sprite colours is like doing it just for no reason

if you wanna update graphics, redo the title screen, etc.

Or give it new map sprites altogether

But in FE blue is good, red is bad

There's no reason to fuck with this.

Well perhaps he was just experimenting or maybe he DOES have a reason, technically we don't know

though if he doesn't, I'd have to agree that well, it's nicer to have a reason to make changes. Like in TLP's bonus dungeon, I changed the map palettes to signify that the game was in an alternate mode from the normal one, and also if people took screenshots, you could tell it was the post-game because of the various palette changes, AS WELL AS giving things a fresh feeling (I mean after all looking at the same bland color schemes etc. throughout hacks can be pretty stale at tims). :P

nothing really, but from what I know of Markyjoe, he cares a lot about other people's opinions and the general popularity of stuff so I'm giving him my 2 cents accordingly and telling him I personally am not highly fond of the change, if he doesn't care for it he just has to say so XD (though tbh coming from Marky that'd surprise me :P)

As long as the colors are vagely blue, vaguely red, vaguely green, I have no problem with it. I could change pallettes in FEXP in seconds but I really don't like doing that in my own games. I'll change graphics, but for the most part I stick to what's well known.

nothing really, but from what I know of Markyjoe, he cares a lot about other people's opinions and the general popularity of stuff so I'm giving him my 2 cents accordingly and telling him I personally am not highly fond of the change, if he doesn't care for it he just has to say so XD (though tbh coming from Marky that'd surprise me :P)

Enough people complained about it that I decided to change it back. I will be getting very experimental with this project, but some changes just aren't necessary, and it's not like this change is experimental/interesting in any way.

As long as the colors are vagely blue, vaguely red, vaguely green, I have no problem with it. I could change pallettes in FEXP in seconds but I really don't like doing that in my own games. I'll change graphics, but for the most part I stick to what's well known.

Couldn't stop yourself from boasting about that engine, eh?

Couldn't stop yourself from boasting about that engine, eh?

It's not like anybody else ever does Actually I was just making the point that even though it would literally take me 5 seconds to do it, I wouldn't do it because I think sticking with the default colors or something similar is best. Changing blue to red and red to blue, for example, would be a terrible design decision in my opinion, but if you stuck fairly close to the default colors then I'd see no issue with changing them a bit.

CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT TIME

I decided to give all bows 1-2 range...

"BUT MARC!! YOU SAID THAT RUINS THE POINT OF ARCHERS!! YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE!!"

Yes yes, I've said this before, and acted like it was the absolute way things had to go, but... hear me out.

I've been testing out Chapter 3, which is the chapter where you get your first Archer, Marina, and I've been trying my damndest to make her able to hold her own. I even upped her stats really high, but... it doesn't change the fact that she'll only be killing one unit each turn because no enemy is going to attack archers from a distance on enemy phase.

The things is, in order to make an archer good despite their major flaw, you have to very heavily cater the game to them. Throw fliers everywhere, give them ballistas as often as possible, etc.

Archers are just way too polarizing.

So with this in mind, I had to rethink my stance on Archers, because there's no way you can make an archer good without extreme catering... and then, I just decided to do the very thing I've always been against.

It DOES turn Archers into physical mages, but honestly I think I'm just gonna have to live with that. Lots of enemies are physically defensive, so archers will be dealing less damage than mages, but at the same time, they'll have enough defense themselves to be able to hold their own, unlike mages who typically need high speed and luck to do the same.

So... yeah. I think this decision is a good one.

In other news, I'm considering releasing the first "demo" of the hack once the first four chapters are completely finished.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

and then pegasus knights became the worst units in the game

seriously

pegasus knights now can't even ko archers because they'll get countered and die or get a shitton of damage inflicted on them

It's not something I've neglected. I'm considering removing their weakness to bows and instead giving them weakness to longsword/halberds/horsekillers/etc. That way, there's still a "check" for pegasus riders when you don't want them flying across the map, but they're still useful.

I don't see a problem with it if it's only ally archers that get 1-2 range. If you're giving it to enemy archers and not locking 1-2 range bows to just archers/snipers, then it might be a problem.

Hm...

Maybe I should make archer/sniper-restricted bows with 1-2 range, and all the other bows that are only 2 range will be usable by both archers and other bow users. The 1-2 range bows would be like the archer equivalent to javelins and hand-axes in that they're 1-2 range, and they wouldn't have effectiveness to fliers.

That way, Archers will still retain their anti-flier role with the normal bows, but also be able to fight melee if necessary. Naturally the 1-2 range bows will not be as effective as the normal bows, but being able to defend up close will greatly soften the blow of enemy phase irrelevance.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Crossbow for 1-2, usable by archer/sniper.

It's not like Crossbow has good aerial combat as compared to bow.

I could try and think up of another alternative for you if you want.

Edited by Ubel Engel

Crossbow for 1-2, usable by archer/sniper.

It's not like Crossbow has good aerial combat as compared to bow.

I could try and think up of another alternative for you if you want.

So far, my game plan is:

Archers/Snipers have exclusive access to 1-2 range bows that lack effectiveness Vs. Fliers

For all bow users, they still have bows with only 2-range.

Feel free to pitch more ideas. Archers seriously need a way to overcome their major weakness.