Fire Mumblem: The Chronicles of Lussaria (Beta 1 Released! 1/2/2014)

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You made a map maybe a year or so ago and asked me for assistance on it, it looks fairly similar to this one.

And in my opinion, map critique is better off being told asap, but sure, I'll wait.

Alright, go ahead then. I'm just being difficult. >_<'

I try to design my chapters so that you are constantly interested and engaged. Things are always happening, and there's never a moment where you're just moving units for an entire turn. I also make sure to put numerous sub-objectives that require precise strategies. There's nothing quite like rewarding the player for playing well, no?

Aside from surviving, there are two optional objectives here: Recruiting the Lord character (Called Tangst), and defeating Billy the Bazoika (Blatantly stolen from MageKnight404. Basically Bazoikas lack the crit bonus), which earns you an early steel axe (14 Might!). The brigands near the lord are positioned in a way so that they can only approach him one turn after the other (The first brigand attacks on turn 1, the other can reach him on turn 2, etc). It's mainly for show though. The REAL issue is that on turn 4 and turn 5, pegasus riders spawn in the top forts and attack him. You absolutely need to reach him by turn 4 or else his survival by that point is in luck's hands.

Turn 3, Billy shows up in the middle fort surrounded by mountain. Additionally, EVERY FORT on the map except for the top two spawn brigands. By this point in the chapter, you'll hopefully have defeated the other enemies or else you're in for one hell of a clusterfuck.

So yeah, needless to say, this chapter is hard as nuts (I'd say near lunatic difficulty by permadeath FE standards). But hey, no permadeath, right? Even without permadeath though, I definitely think most people will struggle to achieve all the objectives in this chapter. I'm considering nerfing it slightly, but hey, no one says you gotta get all the objectives. You can recruit the lord while killing the boss on the same turn (At least if I remember correctly), so you'll only miss out on some EXP and the Steel Axe.

Anyways, as for the lord dude, his base stats aren't particularly special, but his growths are fantastic, and he's the ONLY unpromoted unit in the entire game that can wield two weapons: Swords and Lances, which gives him weapon triangle dominance with the help of a lancereaver. Additionally, he gains instant access to the Reginleif by visiting the village he's defending.

Thanks for the walkthrough, now my needs for playing this are zilch. So much for discovering the fun parts of this new chapter myself, didn't even wait till someone asked for help before posting the walkthrough.

Chapter%203.png

Well, for one, forts inside of mountains don't make logical sense...

A few of the mountain peaks look a bit choppy as well(I can't entirely tell because there are units on that map, like the knight on a peak for some reason).

Some of the grass patches are very angular as well, which doesn't look that great(inb4 people point at chapter 5's map).

Other than that, it seems like an interesting map and palette, grass for the trees might be a bit light, but other than that, nothing to complain about. o 3o

Well, for one, forts inside of mountains don't make logical sense...

A few of the mountain peaks look a bit choppy as well(I can't entirely tell because there are units on that map, like the knight on a peak for some reason).

Some of the grass patches are very angular as well, which doesn't look that great(inb4 people point at chapter 5's map).

Other than that, it seems like an interesting map and palette, grass for the trees might be a bit light, but other than that, nothing to complain about. o 3o

I wouldn't say the forts are in the mountains. More like they're situated on them, but I think that's what you meant anyway.

I don't promise the maps will make logical sense. I'm prioritizing gameplay over logic, so while it's certainly odd, I do wish to keep it this way. Since this is supposed to be a funny hack, I can always lampshade the missteps in logic for a few jokes.

As for the grass... You're referring to the darker vs lighter patches and how they're always in diagonals? If so... well I've looked at a lot of maps, both in the games and user-made ones. I tend to have difficulty working with them though. Perhaps you know of a better method? If not, could you show me some references on what the grass should look like?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Well, none of the maps I see in GBA FE are in diagonals(other than FE6), so pretty much any overworld map from FE7 should help you.

I could mess around with them as well if you'd like.

Ya sure? I'll send it over to you via PM.

I usually block out grass patches, then smooth out the edges (i.e. use the all light grass tile then smooth out with the light grass on the edge tiles).

a7bc8196eaad3ef233e3dbd07d7625b9.png

290dd9add87a6d6ebad12432e495bd4d.png

I'm also going to agree about the trees being rather light. They blend in with the grass enough that the eye skips over them.

Very nice design though.

I usually block out grass patches, then smooth out the edges (i.e. use the all light grass tile then smooth out with the light grass on the edge tiles).

a7bc8196eaad3ef233e3dbd07d7625b9.png

290dd9add87a6d6ebad12432e495bd4d.png

I'm also going to agree about the trees being rather light. They blend in with the grass enough that the eye skips over them.

Very nice design though.

Alrighty. I'll see what I can do about the trees. I recall them sharing much of the same colors as the grass, so it might be a bit difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Feltyn.PNG

This is Feltyn. He's... pretty much a parody of the "satelite character", as in, his entire character relies around Lucy. He even has the "childhood friend who has a crush on her" part going down.

Unfortunately, due to story related reasons, Lucy doesn't quite have the same affections!

I REALLY wish I knew who made this portrait. I think the guy's name was something like "Nickt" or something... wait... I think that's it. =S

Yo.

Saw this in your sig and remembered doing that mug a long, long time ago..

• 5 weeks later...

Heeeey everyone. I got some news. No screenshots though, but news.

Actually, here's some screenshots.

AxeDude.PNG

This should give you something of an idea of what we're going for in terms of enemy threat level. I mean, jeez, 10 strength, and with an Iron Axe no less, which has 11 might.

Also, generic fighter growths.

HP: 105%

STR: 65%

SKL: 55%

SPD: 40%

DEF: 25%

RES: 15%

Did I mention the game's automatically in hector hard mode, and that the hector hard mode bonuses are applied as early as chapter 2?

Yeah.

Also, we have another screenshot showing off Jonsin's new portrait

JonsinScared.PNG

When SgtSmilies asked me what I wanted him to look like, I said that Jonsin's an excitable, cowardly rookie who gets bullied by Poalski a lot. He gave us this, and I think it's a huge improvement over the previous, spikey haired, goofy faced Jonsin.

Anyways, NOW the news.

The first five chapters are just about finished in terms of level design. We just need to make and insert the dialogue/cutscenes, make some character and level design adjustments, and then the first demo will be released.

Actually y'know what? Here's some more screens.

chap4.PNG

A glimpse of Chapter 4. Something I didn't like about Fire Emblem 7 is that it didn't really utilize the fire tiles very well. I mean, they were never really in your way or anything, and once you knew where they were, it's not like you ever had a problem avoiding them. Here? I placed the fire tiles exactly where you DON'T want them to be. Well, mostly. Some fire tiles are just for aesthetics.

Aaaaand last but not least

DavidBowie.PNG

David Bowie.

would it be awkward if I asked how the two maps I made are ever going to fit into this, if they even are? I have this suspicion they're not going to be used due to circumstances etc. and all that hard work has gone to waste but that's life so I'd just rather know sooner than later

would it be awkward if I asked how the two maps I made are ever going to fit into this, if they even are? I have this suspicion they're not going to be used due to circumstances etc. and all that hard work has gone to waste but that's life so I'd just rather know sooner than later

I'm not sure what your question is exactly, but uh... Well if you want my honest opinion, I've shown your chapter to a few people and the level design/challenge didn't quite sit well with them. I'm inclined to agree. However, if you're willing to improve them, I'd be willing to help you out so they are still included.

I'm not sure what your question is exactly, but uh... Well if you want my honest opinion, I've shown your chapter to a few people and the level design/challenge didn't quite sit well with them. I'm inclined to agree. However, if you're willing to improve them, I'd be willing to help you out so they are still included.

What? Do you mean the ones he made with Tempo?

I don't know what's wrong with those, they're great and also use some fancy ASM.

What? Do you mean the ones he made with Tempo?

I don't know what's wrong with those, they're great and also use some fancy ASM.

Unless Blazer's alright with me laying out the criticisms here, then I'd rather not say.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

You can go ahead, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to improve them beyond basic edits as to merge them with the other chapters. I already put a lot of thought and work into it. To finish things, people need to set up time limits and draw a line on their work, acceptable or not. Despite so much time and effort being put in, 8 months and there's still no official release. I'm not trying to bash your work ethic, but it'd be rather accurate to say that after seeing how it is, I don't think it's a very good one. I mean, to start, most people need to actually release a project under the pretense that it is real for them to receive good enough critique to continue. That's why hacks like EN, DoF, and TLP got remade from scratch or totally revamped after having initial patches, despite those initial patches being received pretty well. We work on it, grow by our work, and then continue towards perfection. If we fuss over perfection before we even make any mistakes, we're only slowing ourselves down.

Read this article please: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/why-being-a-perfectionist-may-not-be-so-perfect.html

I'd much rather get a C (as in the school grade, 75% or so) on a collaborative presentation that's actually finished than leave out some of the work of my members because they aren't up to par with my own work or simply not finish the presentation on time. If the map is really that awful, that's fine, and I originally took the risk of making maps for this project knowing that they may never be implemented into the game or the game itself may never reach fruition in a reasonable time. However, I still have the right to find flaw (obv. this is just my opinion though) with the system that has turned them into dust magnets for so long a time and the same system that denies them entrance on the basis of a few biased people. (If a majority of people thought it wasn't fun or something, that would be a total different issue, but I doubt you have the evidence to prove that. Nor can I prove that it's fun, nor would that necessarily change your mind, so I'm inclined to drop the issue here after calmly speaking my mind.)

tl;dr

friendly tip: work on your work methods if you ever want to really accomplish anything. the only thing holding you back is yourself. :) (this is assuming your priority isn't to release a semi-finished product to the public, but I don't know what your priority could be if that's not it, haha. and the amount of people who play hacks is seriously diminishing...)

and go ahead and don't include them as they aren't good enough; no hard feelings. I'm sorry I can't go back and fix them but I have too many other priorities and hacking in general isn't one of them. I also feel that working them to your liking might be more of a task than I'm up for, no offense, because I have lower expectations for myself and I'm simply not sure I'm good enough for you. I only set expectations I feel I can actually achieve within a reasonable amount of time and effort.

You can go ahead, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to improve them beyond basic edits as to merge them with the other chapters. I already put a lot of thought and work into it. To finish things, people need to set up time limits and draw a line on their work, acceptable or not. Despite so much time and effort being put in, 8 months and there's still no official release. I'm not trying to bash your work ethic, but it'd be rather accurate to say that after seeing how it is, I don't think it's a very good one. I mean, to start, most people need to actually release a project under the pretense that it is real for them to receive good enough critique to continue. That's why hacks like EN, DoF, and TLP got remade from scratch or totally revamped after having initial patches, despite those initial patches being received pretty well. We work on it, grow by our work, and then continue towards perfection. If we fuss over perfection before we even make any mistakes, we're only slowing ourselves down.

Read this article please: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/why-being-a-perfectionist-may-not-be-so-perfect.html

I'd much rather get a C (as in the school grade, 75% or so) on a collaborative presentation that's actually finished than leave out some of the work of my members because they aren't up to par with my own work or simply not finish the presentation on time. If the map is really that awful, that's fine, and I originally took the risk of making maps for this project knowing that they may never be implemented into the game or the game itself may never reach fruition in a reasonable time. However, I still have the right to find flaw (obv. this is just my opinion though) with the system that has turned them into dust magnets for so long a time and the same system that denies them entrance on the basis of a few biased people. (If a majority of people thought it wasn't fun or something, that would be a total different issue, but I doubt you have the evidence to prove that. Nor can I prove that it's fun, nor would that necessarily change your mind, so I'm inclined to drop the issue here after calmly speaking my mind.)

tl;dr

friendly tip: work on your work methods if you ever want to really accomplish anything. the only thing holding you back is yourself. :) (this is assuming your priority isn't to release a semi-finished product to the public, but I don't know what your priority could be if that's not it, haha. and the amount of people who play hacks is seriously diminishing...)

and go ahead and don't include them as they aren't good enough; no hard feelings. I'm sorry I can't go back and fix them but I have too many other priorities and hacking in general isn't one of them. I also feel that working them to your liking might be more of a task than I'm up for, no offense, because I have lower expectations for myself and I'm simply not sure I'm good enough for you. I only set expectations I feel I can actually achieve within a reasonable amount of time and effort.

I understand the concern, but... um... I'm kind of okay with the rate at which I'm going with this project. I told myself I wouldn't stress over it too much, and I think that's the biggest reason why the project is taking so long. I work on it when I want to.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Holy [insert something hilarious here], batman! There's CUTSCENE SCREENSHOTS!!!

I spent all day workin' on this. Sadly, none of these dialogues show the actual jokes, but I found these bits interesting enough to serve as screenshots.

Scene1.PNGScene2.PNGScene3.PNGScene4.PNGScene5.PNGScene6.PNG

Edited by MarkyJoe1990