Awake! 2/4 Release Celebration Spriting Comp

Lenh

In regards to the winner selection it seems then I probably will have to ask for some impartial judges. Unfortunately that means I'll have to ask for volunteers and advice on who good choices are, otherwise I'll just ask around and hope they aren't corrupted and/or choose friends of my own (who will probably themselves remain anon, although their voting decisions will not be).

It's either that or trust people not to vote biased :P.

It's your competition, getting friends from irl/outside of the forum/that you know you can trust isn't a bad idea. I dunno how many judges you'd want if you chose to go that route, but I can probably lend you my forum staff if you don't have enough, lol. Of course, that depends on what type of judging criteria you want; not everyone is going to be able to appreciate the technicalities of each submission. If by quality you want people to be able to judge submissions by what is objectively the best rather than what they think looks the best, you're gonna need to be pretty picky about judges. Of course, if public voting is an option I can't imagine you're super concerned with that.

I meant the entries are anonymous, not the people voting :S

Doesn't really fix anything, friends can tell eachother which entry is theirs :P.

Edited by Tangerine

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question...

What about Tactician from Blazing Sword?

A character with no portrait or mug but has a map sprite.

So does that apply for a full sprite on a tactician? Or is that discouraged?

I already did a mug a while ago actually... as well a battle sprite for the very character as well their promotion sprites (not tactician mind you)

Also, is multiple submit of mug/portrait encouraged or is it limited to one per person? belay that

Edited by Ubel Engel

^ I don't think it would matter? I mean, they're redesigns, anyway. Whatever the fuck you want could pretty much happen.

And I think submitting via PM should help? I mean, you can't really control outside voting, but we've generally been pretty good about not being huge dicks and voting for ourselves/being dweebs and getting people to vote for us.

Ubel: Not sure what exactly you mean, but I guess the tactician is essentially My Unit, so technically yeah that's legit. Only one entry per category.

I dunno how many judges you'd want if you chose to go that route, but I can probably lend you my forum staff if you don't have enough, lol.

That would be massively appreciated. ^_^ Just having a couple unbiased people on the FE side willing to judge and rate entries on some criterion would be cool. I'm going to give it some thought still, and PM you if judging ends up as the way to go.

Edited by Lenh

That would be massively appreciated. ^_^ Just having a couple unbiased people on the FE side willing to judge and rate entries on some criterion would be cool. I'm going to give it some thought still, and PM you if judging ends up as the way to go.

Sure, let me know what you decide to do. I'd not worry a ton about people trying to rig the polls, I probably exaggerated the issue :P. I think Jealousy's more or less correct that PM submissions with public voting will work out fine; it may not be a horrible idea to just ask people to make a post explaining their choice. And I kind of prefer the public voting option based on the fact that the general community can participate in some way without having to submit anything themselves.

Say, it's been bothering me - what sort of styles are allowed? The only requirement seems to be that the image has to be under a certain size restriction, but nothing else. Does it have to be GBA FE, or are we allowed to bring in our own style/GC FE/DS FE, etc.?

People who've been making their own "FE mugs" have stylized it to whatever they want, just basically fitting the size boundaries of existing FE mugs.

I say just have size and color limits and call it a day.

I hope you have a good idea for how to identify this, because it's likely to happen with prizes at stake. Friends are just going to vote for eachother and trade votes.

ermahgerd genius

I say just have size and color limits and call it a day.

^^^ This. Added a 32 color cap (16x2), that takes out DS and GB styles (which imo become plain digital art instead of spriting). If you're willing to put out a different style than the standard I'd say go for it, 'redesign' is part of the theme. As long as it's a portrait, and in the constraints, and FE.

Working on the rules (and sleeping) atm, we'll do private voting and I'll just cry sad tears if the community is more mobster than free.

Edited by Lenh

So wait, as long as the subject material is Fire Emblem and the sprite meets the size and color requirements, anything is okay?

So I could, like, make some mug of Krom in GBA Kingdom Hearts style, and that'd be fine?

Also, for battle sprites (or, assuming the above supposition is correct, pretty much any sort of full-body representation of the character within the size-limits, including stuff like Street Fighter II style), it says no animation. Does this mean that animation is not required, or that animations are not valid submissions?

Also, for battle sprites (or, assuming the above supposition is correct, pretty much any sort of full-body representation of the character within the size-limits, including stuff like Street Fighter II style), it says no animation. Does this mean that animation is not required, or that animations are not valid submissions?

Demon King and Fire Dragon has no full body battle sprite. Just pointing that out.

And I don't think he wants animations.

Edited by Ubel Engel

So wait, as long as the subject material is Fire Emblem and the sprite meets the size and color requirements, anything is okay?

So I could, like, make some mug of Krom in GBA Kingdom Hearts style, and that'd be fine?

No animations allowed on the BS. ;p

Yes and no on the assumptions. The connection to Fire Emblem has to be more than subject matter; it has to be within the spirit of the game as well (updated first post with this). You could like make a mug of Krom in GBA Kingdom Hearts style, but you'd have to fill in the blanks and add tweaking so it looks legitimately like you could use it as a Fire Emblem mug.

Going to say it's OK as long as you entirely custom it yourself and fit the new guidelines.

Let's get started! Rules are now finalized (they will not change) and submissions are Open.

At some point in time I'd like input from you guys how the raffle draw should be conducted. Otherwise, sprite on, and may the RNG be with you!

[Edit: Oh yeah Arch send your official entry; I need the PM to stay organized.]

Edited by Lenh

Ehehe, further clarification of battlesprite rules requested:

Specifically, should battlesprites include only the battlesprite alone, or can it include backgrounds (or be part of a mockup)? Further, if allowed, would these other backgrounds be required to be IS originals, or could they also be custom?

Is it okay if the sprite's a bit different from normal FE proportions? Because standard GBA mugs don't give women any shoulders and my proportions are more realistic. Can I just keep my disdain for GBA proportions sprite my-sized?

yes Zhuge.

He specifically said to match it to a character in FE. So you can alter the sprite a bit for that reason.

I did it too :)

Battle sprites should follow the perspectives and screen/character ratio of previous 2D Fire Emblems.

Quoted

Edited by Ubel Engel

Ah...

Hmm.

Wow, I can't choose right wording for this.

But, he did said you can modify mugs to suit the real FE character better. For example... Aloof Marth from Legend of Marth Arch is doing.

Edit:

I hate you Jealousy

Edited by Ubel Engel

Ubel, please don't speak for me (and I'm a she) :<

No background on battle sprites. [Edit: This comment no longer applicable. Full mockup allowed.]

Yes, you're allowed to do anything as long as it still serves a mug's purpose; pretend you're making assets for a Fire Emblem remake on the SNES/GBA/NDS/3DS or something. Just keep it within the color limit and design it to work within the screen size of one of those platforms.

Edited by Lenh

Yes, you're allowed to do anything as long as it still serves a mug's purpose; pretend you're making assets for a Fire Emblem remake on the SNES/GBA/NDS/3DS or something. Just keep it within the color limit and design it to work within the screen size of one of those platforms.

so if we wanted to go through the trouble of making a sprite that would fit on the platform of the WiiU and it was the size of an FE10 sprites, halfbody and all that, that would be fine

i mean that could be an asset for an fe remake on a future console amirite?