Is the main reason why no one uses Meg is because of her appearance?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad, she ended up with 12 or 13. Somehow she just was completely devoid of strength growth. I don't think she ever did get higher than 16 strength before part 4 was over and I gave up. Brom was growing more speed than Meg was growing in strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Ilyana may suck, but she can serve as a ranged supporter, is cute, has availability, and is really only bad for people who need OMGWTF BEST TEAM EVA teams.

Fiona is cute, has high movement, can end up... not as sucky due to good growths, but has to work against a horrible joining time/level.

Meg isn't cute, has horrible movement, ends up pretty meh, and struggles with low level and bad joining times.

One of those things is not like the other.

Edit: If you're not going to have good stats, you better have good character if you want to be used. Meg has neither.

Edited by Snowy_One

• 2 weeks later...

Ilyana may suck, but she can serve as a ranged supporter, is cute, has availability, and is really only bad for people who need OMGWTF BEST TEAM EVA teams.

Fiona is cute, has high movement, can end up... not as sucky due to good growths, but has to work against a horrible joining time/level.

Meg isn't cute, has horrible movement, ends up pretty meh, and struggles with low level and bad joining times.

Edit: If you're not going to have good stats, you better have good character if you want to be used. Meg has neither.

If all they're going to be used for is looking pretty, why do they need to be able to fight at all?

Okay, first off, ignoring endgame, Fiona is worse than Meg. Meg has decent enough bases and joins a bit under-leveled, but she can bec caught up with some care and bexp. Fiona's base stats are gawdawful, to the point where she's ORKOed by any remotely strong enemy and has like 50% hit rates with a javelin, so she can't be easily trained. Her being mounted is more of a hinderance than a benefit. She can't go up/down ledges, can't enter swamps, and IIRC has increased penalties on mountainous terrain. Also, Fiona's growths really aren't that good. 20/1 with 13 strength? That's pretty terrible. She has nice speed and defensive stats, but her health and strength (one of the more important stats) are fairly mediocre.

And well, there is no second off, so yeah. . .

Edited by bottlegnomes

Ilyana has abysmal speed and durability, that's pretty bad. She's not even 2nd string material.

And as for Meg vs. Fiona. Meg actually has better stats than Fiona, the real difference between them is their class (and affinity to a lesser extent)

Ilyana has abysmal speed and durability, that's pretty bad. She's not even 2nd string material.

And as for Meg vs. Fiona. Meg actually has better stats than Fiona, the real difference between them is their class (and affinity to a lesser extent)

Ilyana actually capped everything for me once, her speed issues are incredibly over exaggerated and the only reason why I choose not to use Ilyana

is because the Dawn Brigade has units that need exp such as Jill/Nolan/Micaiah (I like training Micaiah if I can help it) and Ike's team really doesn't have

that many candidates to sink BEXP into unless you want to so I usually use Soren.

• Titania is amost a third-tier when you get her
  • Boyd will probably be over-shadowed by Nolan
  • Oscar is just a weaker Titania
  • Rolf is just a weaker Shinon
  • Shinon doesn't need a lot of exp and will promote if you just use him
  • Gatrie isn't worth using
  • Ike has a ton of time before he gets his promotion
  • Rhys is just a weaker Soren
  • Mist isn't worth using
  • Mia is worth using as long as you havn't already decided to raise Edward or Zihark

If I were to use Ilyana though she has great potential and her availability is second to none. Ilyana also has the exclusive use of using the Rexbolt tomb which comes in really useful in the Endgame chapters and if you still have a problem with her then just use her PoR transfers. There is really nothing to seperate Ilyana and Soren from I think it just comes down to whether or not you chose to use Ilyana in part 1 or not and there is more than enough experience to go around in part 3 so much that you can actually train a couple of units you don't even need to without harming the experience of those units you want to bring into endgame even on normal mode.

That's just my opinion on Ilyana anyhow and that's coming from someone who prefers to use Soren.

Ilyana actually capped everything for me once, her speed issues are incredibly over exaggerated and the only reason why I choose not to use Ilyana

is because the Dawn Brigade has units that need exp such as Jill/Nolan/Micaiah (I like training Micaiah if I can help it) and Ike's team really doesn't have

that many candidates to sink BEXP into unless you want to so I usually use Soren.

• Titania is amost a third-tier when you get her
  • Boyd will probably be over-shadowed by Nolan
  • Oscar is just a weaker Titania
  • Rolf is just a weaker Shinon
  • Shinon doesn't need a lot of exp and will promote if you just use him
  • Gatrie isn't worth using
  • Ike has a ton of time before he gets his promotion
  • Rhys is just a weaker Soren
  • Mist isn't worth using
  • Mia is worth using as long as you havn't already decided to raise Edward or Zihark

What do Edward and Zihark have to do with Mia? Why is Gatrie "not worth using"? How is it that Boyd is overshadowed by Nolan (who isn't even in the same chapters), but Soren isn't overshadowed by, like, everyone in the GMs? What does Titania being almost third tier have to do with giving her BEXP? What does Oscar being a weaker version of Titania have to do with giving him BEXP?

What do Edward and Zihark have to do with Mia? Why is Gatrie "not worth using"? How is it that Boyd is overshadowed by Nolan (who isn't even in the same chapters), but Soren isn't overshadowed by, like, everyone in the GMs? What does Titania being almost third tier have to do with giving her BEXP? What does Oscar being a weaker version of Titania have to do with giving him BEXP?

If you play for turns yeah sure I see your point but I do not. I was just pointing out that Ike's team really do not need Bexp as much as the DB's and so I find it much easier to raise Soren than Ilyana and that is the only reason I don't use her very much and not because of her speed. I think you would have to raise a lot more of the characters I said were not necessary if you were playing on hard mode yes, agreed but I don't think anyone has the nuts to train units like Ilyana meg and fiona on hard mode anyway. I was just saying that a lot of characters in Ike's team do not really need THAT much experience so it's pretty easy to get Soren to a much higher level than Ilyana. Edward and Zihark were mentioned because I know a few people only really like to train one trueblade (unless for turns of course) Gatrie IMO is only worth using in the early chapters and then he falls behind because of bad movement. Nolan seems to get better rounded stats (apart from strength) than Boyd does and although I use both I reavers if you are gonna pick just one than I think Nolan contributes more. Titania is almost third tier so does not need BEXP therefore it can go around to other units (such as Soren to force cap some of his other stats such as defence) and Oscar apart from his support relationship with Ike which is pretty great I find his low caps and IMO bad durability to be a hinderance at times and choose to not invest in him although you could argue that Meg has bad caps so why bother with her anyway.

This is just my opinion anyway, I'm not saying it's the best or correct but I think you can be a bit more selective with Ike's group especially when units like Haar and Nephenee show up than you can with the Dawn Brigade so for those first 3 chapters I try to invest the most combat experience in the units I want to use in the long term is all. I might try a LTC challenge actually just to try it :)

I'm probably one of the few people that finds Meg cute. She's not nessecarily a good looker, but her design combined with her sweet and somewhat innocent personality makes me smile. I don't find Meg to be a bad character, but she is a bad unit. I've made bad units work before, but I mostly play hard mode. I prioritize Jill, Nolan, and Edward above the other DB units, and unless I'm doing CEXP abuse I'd never take the time to level Meg.

• 2 weeks later...

I wind up using Meg; she does well for me, and I can usually get her up to par in one chapter. She's got potential - it just takes the right method to train her.

Hint: In 1-4, place Meg to guard the breakable wall on the left, equip with a Wind Edge until it breaks, then a Steel or a high-might Custom Sword. Then place Laura next to her, and wait. Heal Meg all turns, and don't let her die {let Meg wait some turns and just let the bandits attack her - don't have her attack unless she can take it!}. On Normal Mode, she got to level 9 by the end of the chapter on my playthrough, right below where the rest of the DB were.

The main reason why most people don't use her is because she's not like other Armor Knights. Her highest stat growths are Luck, Speed, and Resistance (outside obvious HP), unlike her fellow knights Gatrie, Brom (who excel at Atk & Def), or Tauroneo (who while he has high luck, also has Atk & Def). She has the highest Resistance of all the Armor Knights, and can quickly become very speedy (for a knight, at least). Meg isn't typical - she's a mage killer kind of knight. Send her against mages and slow units. Eventually, she can also handle physical units well, but until then she's quite capable with handling mages.

...As for Fiona... she just has REALLY bad luck as far as class vs. availability. She's not a bad unit to use, provided you find time to train her, which is the hardest part about her. [seriously, only available during 1-7 and 1-E until part 3... ARGH.]

Edited by Blumpen

I wind up using Meg; she does well for me, and I can usually get her up to par in one chapter. She's got potential - it just takes the right method to train her.

Hint: In 1-4, place Meg to guard the breakable wall on the left, equip with a Wind Edge until it breaks, then a Steel or a high-might Custom Sword. Then place Laura next to her, and wait. Heal Meg all turns, and don't let her die {let Meg wait some turns and just let the bandits attack her - don't have her attack unless she can take it!}. On Normal Mode, she got to level 9 by the end of the chapter on my playthrough, right below where the rest of the DB were.

The main reason why most people don't use her is because she's not like other Armor Knights. Her highest stat growths are Luck, Speed, and Resistance (outside obvious HP), unlike her fellow knights Gatrie, Brom (who excel at Atk & Def), or Tauroneo (who while he has high luck, also has Atk & Def). She has the highest Resistance of all the Armor Knights, and can quickly become very speedy (for a knight, at least). Meg isn't typical - she's a mage killer kind of knight. Send her against mages and slow units. Eventually, she can also handle physical units well, but until then she's quite capable with handling mages.

...As for Fiona... she just has REALLY bad luck as far as class vs. availability. She's not a bad unit to use, provided you find time to train her, which is the hardest part about her. [seriously, only available during 1-7 and 1-E until part 3... ARGH.]

I

I

I'm dying.

Also

"provided you find time to train her"

Isn't a very good excuse to train this bland unit.

I mean I could just say that of any unit.

[No, I wouldn't because Jill takes everything and the results I get are enormous]

• 1 month later...

Well, we got a lot of awesome units with good looks, why do we need to use Meg?

But not because of her look, as cool as a unit can be, if s/he's crappy. I won't bother using them.

I mean, there's a lot of good-looking units I don't use because they're no good in battle. Or decent.

Plus, in my game, Gatrie is WAY BETTER than Meg. My Gatrie is kinda godlike. If only he's speed cap is higher. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've used Meg and she does okay in easy mode. I don't judge her looks. And honestly I think she is cute. Fiona is also cute, but I don't use both of these units often because of how late and underleveled they come.

To iterate another point, I use good units who I don't really think are attractive sometimes, but because they are strong or have a cool personality. I don't really consider looks too much. I actually like using Meg and Fiona because of how different they are. Heavy set and omg a brown person.

Edited by Hash Jar