[Help!] The forum I like won't respond to my posts (´・ω・`)

Lord of Gabriel Knight

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gabe that is sweet! the only thing i am worried about is where the dudes feet are positioned if you want to put it in mod or whatever

trcnWb6.png the red box is where im pretty sure where the lead foot begins for most sprites. you probably already knew about what im saying but yeah

To be frank, your style is kind of a technical nightmare. It's incredibly cartoony and the shading is kind of everywhere, usually somewhere between being totally flat or embossed to death. The facial proportions are weird, and the hair is just really clumpy and boring. And the fur... I don't even want to get started on that. Angles are everywhere, too, and I'm not sure if that strip of skin tone on the chest is supposed to be skin, or trim, or what.

Quick face tweak.

195a94ab63badddc0b0fef34e5a7a9f8.png

Thank you for the criticism, I'll try to work that in later.

The fur I referenced from Mordred, but I've done better (in my opinion) fur in some other sprites. If you could tell me what's wrong with them, that would be great.

70Gv9.png

Skin tone on his chest is supposed to be part of his (rather sloppily) placed breastplate.

That kid was the second custom I've ever done, so I'd like to think I've improved a bit, but I've got a ways to go.

Your edit looks 1000x better.

Edited by GabrielKnight

The fur I referenced from Mordred, but I've done better (in my opinion) fur in some other sprites. If you could tell me what's wrong with them, that would be great.

70Gv9.png

Biggest issue being that it doesn't look like fur at all, It's kind of a giant spiky caterpillar sitting around his collar.

Fur is hair. It's not stiff peaks of meringue; hair will clump together and form chunks, but it still follows a general form and flow.

90cde20274091090a2f45a3897e3b4e5.png

LEFT - original

There's no anchor point. The fur just kind of spontaneously shoots out of everywhere in every direction. It's not centered around a form from which it can drape and point out from. There's also no particular volume or depth - it's just kind of sitting flat and messy.

RIGHT - drawn over

there's an underlying shape of a fairly poofy collar; that gives volume. The only thing left to do is layer hair - fur - over it, following the direction it flows from (presumably from the hem of the shirt and outward).

So a couple things about the fur, now it's all more or less pointing downwards which makes it look wet, when it should be more varied, and on top of that it's not really lit, it's very uniformly shaded which makes it look flat!! Fur is hard :< I never do ittttt

The chest plate still seems a bit weird too, I think you could make the trim on the top of it even thinner to make it look more like armor, and maybe give a starker shadow where it hits the scarf/collar.

Aaaand the hair is better shading/technique-wise but that one big strand coming from the base of his head looks kinda like a comb over hue