Eh.. buncha backgrounds (critiques welcomed).

N.G

So i've been poking about with my FE 6 playthrough that I never got around to starting, and the thought of getting back to it gave me some ideas for a "winter/ Eternal night/ frozen Earth" theme for Elibe. I decided to go through with it and made some custom backgrounds for the new theme (that don't concern just your generic "Illia"-type winter anymore). I had a lot of fun making these first few and i'll be making some more for the entire run, such as dungeons, grungy streets etc.

Critiques are always welcomed.

Forest:

Forest: Lycia/ Ostia/ southern Bern (Night)

Northern Bern/ Southern Illia? (Day)

Forest: Snowcaps (Night)

Forest: Snowcaps (Day)

Light snow.

Alt. Light snow.

Heavy snowfall/ Blizzard conditions.

Arena:

Arena: (Night).

Arena: (Fog).

Arena: (Snow).

Indoor:

Indoor living area.

Edited by Nagareboshi Gin

I saw these a little while ago, but haven't had time to comment. (Plus, I honestly expected at least one comment by now.)

I really love all of the forest/snow backgrounds, especially the ones where snow is actively falling. It's those kinds of details that really give life, character, and ambiance to a scene. The others are nice as well, but I think they pale in comparison just a bit with the first group of backgrounds.

The only thing I might suggest at the moment would be to darken parts of the Arena backgrounds; for being predominantly night, it seems odd for the base of the coliseum to be slightly lit when there aren't any torches or other sources of light visible on the image.

Did you make most of the forest ones from scratch or are they mostly just improvements to existing backgrounds from the games? (Since I don't remember them in FE7, I'm guessing that they only show up in FE6?)

Oh, wow. I just noticed this topic, fantastic work! The snow ones especially are really well done, and an excellent thing to have, especially since the Elibe games are kinda lacking in resources for snowy scenes.

I hate to be so direct, but would you be willing to let me use these? I'm finishing up a fan-game set in Elibe (Elibian Nights, I've got links in the sig if you're interested), and being able to use your work would be fantastic!

They're very beautiful indeed.

Seems incredible they're GBA-compatible, wow.

Definitely. I ran one of them through the insertion process just to see how it'd turn out, pretty minimal quality loss as well.

2i71vmc_zps57ac5d61.png

The one on the right is the rendered version, what it'd look like in-game. As is always the case with these things, there's some quality loss, but it's pretty minimal compared to what I've seen happen with others.

Pretty impressive work, indeed.

Edited by Arch

Such minimal quality loss for that piece of art?

I'm impressed.

Arch, I hope Gin gives you permission to put those in EN, it'd look even better indeed.

Also I'd like to try them too someday, but right now I have different priorities rather than scene graphics.

// just noticed I've written "battle" instead of "scene", duh. Lapsus

Congratulations, Gin!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

• 1 month later...

I couldn't help but smile at Elibian Nights (this is it, right?) being mentioned my little drain pipe topic. If you're asking for certain backgrounds, I'd be more than happy to help with anything you need to accomplish. Gimp is my partner in crime, after all. Just PM me for any ideas you have, and I'll see what I can slap together.

(*These were actually going to be put into FE 6: Fire and Ice, but since I can't hack to save my skin, well....)

Edited by N.G

WOW, those are nice. The only one that looks a wee bit odd is the indoor one, and that's because it feels way too symmetrical. If I could blow the snowy forest ones up and make them wallpaper-sized, I'd change my desktop in a heartbeat.

WOW, those are nice. The only one that looks a wee bit odd is the indoor one, and that's because it feels way too symmetrical. If I could blow the snowy forest ones up and make them wallpaper-sized, I'd change my desktop in a heartbeat.

*adds gimp snow brushes to existing backgrounds* *automatic michaelangelo piece* Seems legit. <3

*adds gimp snow brushes to existing backgrounds* *automatic michaelangelo piece* Seems legit. <3

What seems simple to you may be, uh, hard for others to do. I could do my impression of snow, but it would look more like someone erased half the trees.

What seems simple to you may be, uh, hard for others to do. I could do my impression of snow, but it would look more like someone erased half the trees.

You don't know how difficult it is to make these though! I have to go through five long minutes of labor just to pop these out one after the other. FIVE MINUTES. My hand is cramping! My hand.is.cramping!

updating topic later~

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

This one isn't really anything special, but I was wondering if you'd all like to use some more realistic backgrounds? I made this one on my own, so FE had no part in helping other than being my base. This is a support/ base conversation background, but I can do others, including battle backgrounds.

jb4nee.png

Update:

This one isn't really anything special, but I was wondering if you'd all like to use some more realistic backgrounds? I made this one on my own, so FE had no part in helping other than being my base. This is a support/ base conversation background, but I can do others, including battle backgrounds.

jb4nee.png

as awesome as this is (which it is i swear) I don't think it's ROM insertable. It exceeds the color limit