TFS Abridged

Lord Raven

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/13/2017 at 11:02 AM, Slumber said:

Yeah, I agree with the Mr. Satan stuff taking up too much time. It'd be fine if it were one joke an episode or something, but he got like, a 1/5 of the screen time this episode, and he's not making any comments that are THAT much different than what we got in the actual show.

I also like that Cell keeps trying to give Yamcha encouragement/life advice.

Well Mr. Satan is a fan favorite character (for whatever reason) I think they're playing to that.

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

Well Mr. Satan is a fan favorite character (for whatever reason) I think they're playing to that.

Not just the fans.  If you've seen any of their TFS Gaming stuff you'd know from their conversations that the guys at TFS themselves really love Mr. Satan.

Course, I like him too.  

Is it me or is Satan barely an abridged character? I mean, there's the thing about his past but otherwise he spends most of his time explaining how Cell and Goku ''cheat'' in their fight through mirrors and such. Isn't that the exact same thing he does in the regular show?

Well, to be fair, Mr Satan is mostly a joke character to begin with anyway, so I guess they can't really "make him funny". The way I see it, TFS often uses character traits of the original characters and exaggerate them to make their jokes - Goku becomes even more ignorant about anything non-fighty and especially about his family, Piccolo becomes more of a loner, Chi-Chi gets even more protective about Gohan (although she also gets the occasional reasonable scene like in Ep. 57)... Of course, you got the oddballs like Nappa, Mr Popo or Super Kami Guru, but they're more of the exception.

And since Mr Satan isn't taken seriously by either the heroes or Toriyama himself, and also a pretty "loud" character to begin with, they can't really amp his traits up without making him totally obnoxious. As far as I can tell (I haven't seen the original series in quite some time), they did at least put a bit more focus on how he's in it for the money.

This whole season has had quite a different tone. It's more like a straight dub with much more banter and one-liners, the humour's more observational, and the characterisation is more subtle. Instead of exaggerating or outright altering the characters, they're more explored - why do they act the way they do, how do they react to events, how do they interact with each other, etc. Compared to Namek, it's less consistently funny, but the parts that do work, work better.

Edited by Baldrick

4 hours ago, Baldrick said:

This whole season has had quite a different tone. It's more like a straight dub with much more banter and one-liners, the humour's more observational, and the characterisation is more subtle. Instead of exaggerating or outright altering the characters, they're more explored - why do they act the way they do, how do they react to events, how do they interact with each other, etc. Compared to Namek, it's less consistently funny, but the parts that do work, work better.

There's also the fact that there are less new characters this time around, and a good amount of them are played more straight.

Trunks has more daddy issues, but he's still a straight man, and 17 and 18 aren't much different. Android 16 and Cell are the only ones who have changed substantially, but even they're still pretty rooted in their original characters. 16's obsessed with Goku and likes birds in the original, TFS takes it to 100. Cell's an amiable smartass who likes fighting in the original, TFS turned him into a quirky goofball who likes fighting.

We don't really get anything like Mr. Popo, Guru, or Nappa, who were pretty much nothing like their originals. Cell's probably the character they've taken the most liberties with, and he's the best thing about this season.

Makes me wonder how TFS'd do with their own original project.

Edited by Slumber

9 hours ago, Baldrick said:

It might be just me, but I don't like this tone. The episodes drag for way too long, it no longer feels like they are fast fowarding the show. 

On 15.5.2017 at 3:54 PM, Baldrick said:

Yeah, I completely agree with this. They basically started as a pure gag dub, often just making fun of the original and not really trying to make a dub that stands by itself. Stuff like Lani and ??? fighting over who gets to voice Radditz is a joke they would never do again. Now they're actually adding parts to the story, like 16 being modeled after Gero's son who was killed by Goku when he eradicated the RR army. They aren't just trying to fit a punchline into every scene anymore, which is something I really appreciate.

• 1 month later...

Man, that episode was sooo good.

I really love how they have been handling Mr. Satan. Between all of his self-promotion you can tell that he is genuinely concerned about the kids watching. It's great to see that aspect of the character getting developed.

Man, I'm hyped for SSJ2 Gohan.

On 25.6.2017 at 2:46 AM, GuiltyLove said:

I like Piccolo being Best Dad again

I'm actually happy that they didn't the "Goku just doesn't care about Gohan" approach they seemed to take in the Freeza arc. Now, he does care, but he has a rather screwed idea of what Gohan wants or needs. In his mindset, this fight to the death against a sadistic, more-than-vaguely rapey, insanely powerful opponent is juuuust what his 11yo son needs. To become stronger, y'see?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Christmas special!

(and apparantly, they've been working on the Cell arc finale for a month or two now, after they went on hiatus for a pretty long time to set up their non-DBZA parts of business)

Plan to eradicate Christmas was just so ridiculous and nonsensical. I absolutely loved it. Best thing they could have done with the OVA. Relally want to hear a proper version of the Carol of the Bells remix. Wonder if the image Goku saw of Santa in Lord Slug was the same character or just a concussion.

Edited by Jotari

On 2017-12-29 at 11:25 AM, ping said:

(and apparantly, they've been working on the Cell arc finale for a month or two now, after they went on hiatus for a pretty long time to set up their non-DBZA parts of business)

Is that why there has been such a long hiatus? I thought they couldn't talk about it?

Regardless, this special was amazing.

19 hours ago, Thane said:

Is that why there has been such a long hiatus? I thought they couldn't talk about it?

You're right, they've been rather vague about stuff and I might have misinterpreted / misremembered this update.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Jedi said:

So it's looking like when they do finally end the Cell Arc they may be done with DBZA. At least for that point in time.

It'd be ironic if DBZA ended at the same place DBKai did(Initially). They're both abridged versions of DBZ.

If that really is the end of DBZA, at least they're ending it on a high note.  Still unfortunate, but it's probably exceptionally frustrating to be constantly barraged by copyright claims.  I would've liked to see what ways they'd improve put a spin on the Buu arc.

Though I'll still be watching their TFSPlays stuff.  That content is just as good as their abridged stuff, imo.  I especially enjoyed when Lani got so angry at Xenoverse 2 that he punched a hole in a table.  Or when they erupted into screaming joy after beating a particularly difficult PQ.

31 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I would've liked to see what ways they'd improve put a spin on the Buu arc.

Sometimes I feel like people give TFS too much credit. Then again, who else could make Nappa a fan favorite?

It seems the rumors were true. I'm more impress on how dedicate they were doing this project, I mean traveling over a state just to meet up? That's passionate.

Edited by Zangetsu

4 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Sometimes I feel like people give TFS too much credit.

I agree with this statement in a general sense, but my crossed-out remark was only meant as a light-hearted jab at the Buu arc.  Don't take it very seriously.