Divinitas

Relentless Halberdier

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, finally have access to the program again, so I've started updating.

The boss fight in the first dungeon is now much more difficult. He will spawn corrupted copies of Caelen and Flynn every two turns during the fight, which become progressively more powerful everytime they are spawned, forcing players to end the fight within 7 turns or end up fighting against copies that are twice as strong as their own characters.

I now plan to make the first floor of the dungeon more difficult as well, though the difficulty of the very first chapter will remain the same so new players aren't immediately turned off.

Fixed a bug where Caelen would become untargetable if you landed on the exact tile where she spawns on the adventure map.

In the process of replacing Flynn's current battle sprite with a recolored version of Ephraim's.

Disabling the minimap call on command turned out to be more complicated than I hoped.

I basically did what you suggested, 47948201, but all that did was get the game stuck in the minimap state, but without the actual minimap showing. So the cursor would be invisible and you could scroll around the map, but you couldn't interact with anything and there was no way to exit back out.

My next thought was to just comment out every piece of code related to pressing the Select button, but even having done that, the same problem occurs.

And it gets worse - disabling the minimap fully is now of vital importance, because I've realized that trying to open it during a cutscene will crash the game.

That might have been what was crashing the game for you, RisingSolaris.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Aha! I have half-fixed the problem - I can now disable the minimap on command, preventing people from just opening it up in Fog of War maps and seeing the locations of the enemies.

HOWEVER, this solution for some reason does not apply during cutscenes, so the game still crashes if you press the minimap button during a cutscene. Gonna keep looking for a way around this.

For anyone interested, the problem was pretty simple. I assumed the minimap was bound to the same input as the GBA games, but it was bound to a different input instead.

EDIT2: I've fixed the AI problems. Hilariously, the reason enemies would run up to you and not attack wasn't because the AI was coded wrong, it was because I simply made the enemies too weak and allied units too strong. They did 0 damage to Flynn, so they didn't even bother attacking! I've rebalanced that map, and it's now pretty difficult. Vulneraries are essential.

EDIT3: Replaced all the music with music from Radiant Dawn, so the soundtrack is now consistent and high quality at the same time.

EDIT4: Finished replacing Flynn's sprites!

flynnupdated.png

Took extra care with the actual animation, looks spot-on. (in my opinion, anyway.)

EDIT5: Experimenting with the UI, want people's opinions on something.

healthbars.png

Does the new one look okay? It pulses into a lighter color just like the original healthbar.

EDIT6: Obtained a sexy new UI, courtesy of SuicineSol! Really liking how it looks.

oldvsnew.png

I won't upload a new demo version until I've got at least another three chapters done, because the current method of saving does not carry over from version to version, so you'd have to start again with every new demo. Not much point releasing incremental updates with that in mind.

New demo coming soon just in case anyone who hasn't already played decides to check Divinitas out. I really want to show off all these cosmetic changes.

Edited by RiskyPLUS

• 3 weeks later...

Already posted this once, but it got eaten up when the forum went down.

Basically, I started working on increasing the resolution at which FEXP displays and altering the code and graphical assets to make it look good in 640x480.

Here's how the dialogue scenes look right now:

screencl.png

(Barthe's sprite is a recolored version of Phoenix's Bogdan sprite, for which permission has been given.)

The problem is that most of the things in that picture are illusions rather than procedurally generated components of the UI.

The name tags, for example, don't just pop up automatically whenever they detect a character is speaking.

I make them show up manually because I'm honestly just not familiar enough with Ruby to code in an automated function for it.

I spent a lot of time trying to do so, and also experimented with making the actual map combat display properly in this resolution as well,

but I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't be good enough to make such significant modifications until I've had a lot more time with FEXP.

Because of this, I've decided to rollback to the latest version of Divinitas that still displays in the original resolution.

I'm gonna keep this new Radiant Dawn-ified version as a guideline for what the game will EVENTUALLY look like, but for the first draft, I'm sticking with the GBA style.

This also means I'm gonna be able to go ahead and start making more chapters rather than just messing around with the engine, so expect a lot more updates from now on.

Despite the fact that I don't intend to be using them for a while, I'm still gonna be working on making more Radiant Dawn style character splices in my spare time.

Most will be made by me, but Phoenix is kindly letting me use recolored versions of some of his sprites as well, as is the case with Barthe.

Here are the ones I have ready so far:

characterssofar.png

Also, I would like to discourage anyone who hasn't already played Divinitas from downloading the current demo. It's pretty outdated.

Instead, please give me a day or two to really polish the crap out of what I've done so far and then upload a new version.

After I'm 100% satisfied with how the first two chapters are, I'll start working on new ones.

Is Alistair a reference to the League of Legends's BULLTHWOMP? (Alistar)

Nope, sorry. I actually really dislike MOBA's, the communities scare me.

Also, I've updated the original post a bit, filled in the characters section with backstories and images. Updated screenshots, to-do list, etc etc.

If anyone is interested, I still need an original GBA-style mug for Caelen, and another for Reynald. Please PM me if you're interested in trying your hand at either of these characters and I'll give you all the details you need.

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/SuicuneSol/level_upstats_zps6707fbd0.png

Level-up stat screen, if you want to use it. :) I've also been thinking of making additional UI components so that the new "shiny" UI matches with the nonshiny checker diamond ones on the bottom left and right. They really don't compliment the new UI well, in my opinion.

It's also worth mentioning that I noticed that the right and left parts mirror each other. This would be fine and dandy, but the metallic sheen (which was parallel before) is now going in opposite directions. It's a bit odd in my opinion. I like the purple hue; not so much a fan of the grey. I know you said there's a special reason for why the UI and unit color for the allies was made grey, but I still think grey is not much of a defining color for a faction.

I'd try for a custom Caelen mugshot, but I really don't have time to do pixel splicing anymore. But the mugshot that Jesse from Klokreations made... I touched that one up (fixed the arm), but I'm not sure Jesse would like that.

Anyway, I'm eager to try your updated demo. :)

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!

http://img.photobuck...zps6707fbd0.png

Thanks a ton, Sui! I ALMOST forgot to credit you for the UI in the original post, frantically scrambled to correct that when I noticed you were browsing the thread.

My memory is so bad.

They really don't compliment the new UI well, in my opinion.

No, I agree, those are basically just leftovers at this point. I fully intended to replace them when possible. Replacing them with something made by you would be an added bonus for the consistency in style.

It's also worth mentioning that I noticed that the right and left parts mirror each other. This would be fine and dandy, but the metallic sheen (which was parallel before) is now going in opposite directions. It's a bit odd in my opinion.

I tried to find a way to prevent this, but the way FEXP formats the combat UI makes it pretty difficult. It's not impossible by any means, I think I know how I could fix it, but it'd take a fair amount of effort and time so I'll probably leave it for later.

I still think grey is not much of a defining color for a faction.

I know a lot of people think this, and you're right, but I swear it'll make sense when more of the game is done.

But the mugshot that Jesse from Klokreations made... I touched that one up (fixed the arm), but I'm not sure Jesse would like that.

Have you shown him? He'd probably like the upgraded version so he can use that as the basis for any further modification that may or may not occur. I don't think he'd mind that you edited it though, he seems pretty chill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I've started to consider overhauling the equipment system.

This is what I'm thinking right now:

Lances: (Effective against swords, weak to axes)

Spear [standard]

Pike [Effective against cavalry, +dmg, -spd, -acc]

Lance [Cavalry only, +dmg, +acc, --crit, -spd]

Javelin [Ranged]

Swords: (Effective against axes, weak to lances)

Longsword [standard]

Katana [+crit, -dmg]

Rapier [Effective against armored, +acc, -dmg]

Falchion [Effective against unarmored, +spd, -acc]

Small Swords: (effective against large weapons, weak to shields)

Shortsword [standard]

Kris [+++crit, -all]

Dagger [++spd, --dmg]

Throwing Knife [Ranged]

Axes: (Effective against lances, weak to swords)

Hatchet [standard]

Battle Axe [++dmg, --acc]

Hammer [Effective against armored, +dmg, -spd]

Tomahawk [Ranged]

Large Weapons: (Effective against shields, weak to small swords)

Greatsword [standard]

Greataxe [+dmg, -spd, -acc]

Greatclub [Effective against infantry]

Greatlance [Effective against cavalry]

Shields: (Effective against small swords, weak to large weapons)

Kite Shield [standard]

Buckler [+spd, -def]

Tower Shield [+def, --spd]

War Shield [+dmg, -acc, -spd, -def]

------

Bows:

Shortbow [standard]

Recurve [+1 range, -spd]

Crossbow [-all, +Useable by any class, +1-2 range]

Composite [+dmg, -acc]

Arcane:

Hands [standard]

Tome [-dmg, +uses]

Catalyst [+melee attack, -acc]

Talisman [++crit, --all]

Healing:

Hands [standard]

Pendant [+heal, -uses]

Staff [+melee attack, -spd]

Prayer [+++heal when used on character with shared affinity]

So essentially, you've got six main weapon types - swords, axes, lances, small swords, large weapons and shields. Each of these types is split into four subtypes which will all go up in tiers. So you can have an iron hatchet, a steel pike, a devan greatsword, etc etc.

I've got a list of about 8 tiers that are exclusive to my setting (by that I mean, the materials are original and plot-relevant in some cases).

But besides the tiered subtypes of these weapons, you'll also have uniques on the side that aren't tiered, like in FE. And, of course, some legendary weapons.

This might seem needlessly bloated, but when you consider that the level cap in Divinitas is now increased to 50, with one promotion tier meaning units can level up 99 times, it makes a more expansive weapon system more viable. It might be unrealistic, but I want this game to last a pretty long time when it's finished.

Also, for anyone wondering: no, magic will no longer be split into elements. It doesn't work that way in this setting, is all - elemental magic will still be included in the game (albeit rarely), but it's considered completely seperate from arcane magic.

Oh, and you don't mix and match shield-type weapons with other weapons. Shield weapons work like any other weapon type, but with more emphasis on defensive boosts than offensive ones. You'll still get an offensive weapon to use with the shield when you equip one, but the stats of the weapon will depend on the tier of the shield. Though you'll always have less offensive power when you're using a shield compared to a proper weapon.

In other words, when you equip a shield, you're equipping both the shield and the generic weapon it comes packaged with.

Thoughts?

Edited by RiskyPLUS

On paper, it sounds very complicated. But when executed... it doesn't seem ALL that different from current FE mechanics. It's the addition of shields and large weapons that are really new. Which classes would use large weapons, I wonder? Knights and Generals? That would make Knights and Generals effective against other Knights and Generals, assuming that only Knights and Generals could equip Large Weapons and shields.

Also, crossbows for every class? Yeeeshh... good luck with the animations.

And don't worry about not crediting me. I read this thread long before today. :P And I was mentioned in one of your most recent posts, so you're safe.

Edited by Sui-kun

Also, crossbows for every class? Yeeeshh... good luck with the animations.

I--

Oh god.

Oh god, please no!

Okay, might rethink the crossbows thing. At least for now.

As for the 'which classes can use large weapons', they would mostly be reserved for one or two custom classes (juggernauts, super high attack, super low defense) and promoted generals.

It'd probably be the rarest type of weapon, because when I say 'large' I mean reeeeally large.

In other words, only people who have superhuman strength get to wield them. Though you'll be interested to know, the sprite sheet you gave me permission to use is gonna be used for a large-weapon wielding character.

I like those ideas, and considering all you've managed to do so far, I think you can pull it off spectacularly.

Thanks, man!

Do you not see a problem with giving sword users effective coverage against everything?

The 'effective against' weapon subtypes are weird, granted, especially when there are two of them in a single type.

I couldn't really think of anything better that was different enough to justify an individual subtype, though.

I'm open to suggestions.

Also, thanks to a breakthrough, I'm now in the process of conclusively making the game display in a higher resolution using Radiant Dawn character art, now with absolutely no effort required to make the rest of the game look good in the old GBA format.

So the dialogue scenes will be Radiant Dawn style, and the rest of the game will be GBA style.

The buckler is a shield and gives -def? Oh, and the war shield is giving +dmg and -dmg at the same time. Aside from that this is looking good, keep going.

Oh, I should've explained that more.

-def just means less defense in comparison to other shields. Same applies to penalties for other subtypes.

Also, the -dmg on the war shields should be a -def. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll edit it.

Progress report: Everything is amazing right now. Game looks great, and my coding versatility has basically tripled all because I discovered one forum topic.

I'm currently making a really (if I do say so myself) well-coded tutorial sequence. It probably won't be worth anything to Serenes Forest goers, because you guys already know how to play Fire Emblem, but I've had a few friends try my game and ask for a better tutorial, so.

It's also helping me practice eventing, which is nice. I've discovered some neat tricks, like making events trigger when you select a unit, enemy or ally, or even just when you put your cursor over them without clicking anything.

Also found out how to script battles and rig the RNG, which is especially fun.

New demo should be up in a matter of days.

He already told me that tutorials will be optional on the main menu, you can choose whether to play the tutorial map or ignore it.

Indeed.

Also, progress report!

screencshd.png

This is how the dialogue scenes look right now. Took a while to figure out how I could make the characters darken when they aren't speaking - then longer still to turn that into a gradual fade rather than an instant change.

But it's all done now. There are only two issues I still need to work on:

1. The end of text arrow, which I've changed before so won't be very difficult.

2. Increasing the scroll speed to compensate for the larger text. This is a bit tricky now, due to how I've edited the script (everything is now technically zoomed in 2x, I'm just specifying certain things for the engine to render in 1x).

Once I do those two things, I just have to polish the text formatting a little for the new layout, finish up the tutorial I'm making, and then I can post the new demo.

EDIT:

Got some complaints about the font, so I've replaced it with the one I was using in the prototype of the upscaled version of the game. Please tell me which you guys think is best:

compadbnasfnhgn.png

Edited by RiskyPLUS