Help with pointers

perhaps

Lets say that I want to expand an array using hex editor. It's done by:

Finding the offset of the data you want to expand

Copying the data

Pasting the data where there is more free space

Replacing the pointers that led to the original offset with those that lead to the new one

Editing the Nightmare modules pertaining to the data so that they work with the new offset. Voila

But what if you are unable to find the offset of the data you wish to change? Is there any way to find it?

Any help is appreciated

If you're expanding something that has a Nightmare Module, there's an easy way--just open the .NMM in a text file and look at the current offset (it's the thing you end up editing in the future).

If you don't know the original offset though, I find that a little weird in that if you're editing it, you have to know where it is, right? If it's something you don't know the location of in the first place, then it's a bit more difficult. There are various basic hex editing tricks to finding out where data is (such as searching potential hex patterns, looking near data that is similar or relevant to the data you're actually looking for, corrupting the ROM and seeing if it affects what you're looking for, etc.) but one can also use a debugger to locate offsets, though this is a bit more complicated and would require some knowledge of ASM, knowledge of how the game works, and patience. XP

If you're expanding something that has a Nightmare Module, there's an easy way--just open the .NMM in a text file and look at the current offset (it's the thing you end up editing in the future).

If you don't know the original offset though, I find that a little weird in that if you're editing it, you have to know where it is, right? If it's something you don't know the location of in the first place, then it's a bit more difficult. There are various basic hex editing tricks to finding out where data is (such as searching potential hex patterns, looking near data that is similar or relevant to the data you're actually looking for, corrupting the ROM and seeing if it affects what you're looking for, etc.) but one can also use a debugger to locate offsets, though this is a bit more complicated and would require some knowledge of ASM, knowledge of how the game works, and patience. XP

ASM huh. Guess I'll have to try to look into it. Thanks a lot though :D

I wish to add Characters into levels/ increase the maximum allotted characters. I'm assuming there's a limit to the data allowed in the game, and I was going to try and repoint the data to a new area in the ROM.

that would be event editing and not really a repointing/expanding job (well it could be if you're going to be super precise but it'd probably be easier to just muck with the events)

Makes sense.

Is there any way to change maximum Luck? I'd guess it would take hex editing, but it's one I've never seen anyone bother with.

Thanks a lot for all the help by the way. I'll get better I promise XD

there is an offset to do it and it could probably be found by people (i'd do it for you but i have too much work to do and debugging is time consuming) who are savvy (ie blazer/zahl/hex/etc)

or it's logged somewhere but i dunno where

there's a module for it and there's doc on the offsets to edit in Hextator's Doc which you can google

For characters in a chapter it'd be relatively painful to "repoint it", it'd probably be more beneficial to rewrite your events and/or learn how to disassemble events and repoint just the UNIT data or something

Granted the latter isn't something people usually do so I can't really attest to how much help you'd get with this :\

Haha well thanks a lot for the help guys. Its been A LOT of help actually, since I finally have somewhere to start XD

Just one more rut I literally JUST ran into.

There's a patch to fix the custom animation problem where magic works with physical weapons right? I can't seem to find it anymore, and I've found a sudden need for it. Any idea where it is?