Typing Speed?

Vorena

I'm asking this out of interest. I recall doing a number of odd-end typing speed games and found I was typing at around 60 words per minute a few years ago. Now, I seem to hit around 80-100 wpm for simply composition excluding heavy usage on special characters and numbers. I was wondering what the average typing speed was and I was surprised to find it was super low. A mere 30 words per minute range. I think it might be among certain type of people. For example, I think that people that tend to visit forums more often than other people will have a higher word per minute count.

So, what is your average word per minute count?

I type really fast but spell a lot of things wrong when I do, so I usually have to either slow down or go back and fix typos, of which there are quite a lot.

I think I'm around 120 ignoring typos, which is kind of ridiculous

Edited by Strider

Mine is pretty low =<

Last I remember it was around 50-60 wpm

Or... I tried finding out just now and it said 82 wpm...

now 89

3rd edit: 91 x3

I'm actually super proud of myself though I used to never type close to this speed x3 I do tend to make a few mistakes though.

Edited by Freohr Datia

I'm around 80 wpm, with few errors, and when I take typing tests which are administered by humans, I sometimes end up correcting typos in the typing tests (I can never tell if these are placed intentionally or not).

Once I got something like 1000 wpm though. That was actually on an SF-administered typing test, there might actually be people here who can and will back me up on that.

I type like 100+ WPM, which is why I make so many typos on Skype. I'm sure the people there can vouch for me :P I don't go back and read over what I type either unless I'm writing a paper or typing on a forum.

I think I could reliably write 70 words a minute on a full sized keyboard.

Can I use this thread to rant about people who can only type with their index fingers?

I am gonns try doing that right now. Man, it is hard to stop ur other dingersd from typing too. I am sam=azed anyone bothers to type like this.

EDIT- ur is not a typo.

Edited by Mouse

The average speed to competently use a computer is usually measured to be somewhere around 30-40 WPM. I'd say the majority of people that are at least halfway familiar with computers for more than a couple years reach speeds of around 60. I measure out at about 85 WPM, and top out at around 115-120 when doing very fast segments with words that I'm very comfortable with typing and use often.

If I had to guess, I'd say 75 is when most people consider your typing to be quite fast.

I think a word a second is a reasonable guess for me. While it's true that I have been using a computer for years and have typed up probably millions of words in my lifetime, I still don't put any effort into perfecting my typing skills.

Overall, it would appear I was correct in the idea that people on the forums are generally faster typists it seems.

For anyone who gave an idea about errors, what sort of errors were you talking about? For example, I make plenty of mistakes in my typing from creative writing. Normally not so much from copying text.Oh, a better example. This very post had lots of errors because I was rethinking how I wanted to word myself, or my typing got ahead or behind my thinking process and I might have repeated a few words.

Edited by Erika the Explosive One

Overall, it would appear I was correct in the idea that people on the forums are generally faster typists it seems.

For anyone who gave an idea about errors, what sort of errors were you talking about? For example, I make plenty of mistakes in my typing from creative writing. Normally not so much from copying text.Oh, a better example. This very post had lots of errors because I was rethinking how I wanted to word myself, or my typing got ahead or behind my thinking process and I might have repeated a few words.

People that type on internet forums tend to be better typists simply because of the fact that they have to type a lot. It's like if we all talked while running on a track. Naturally, over time, most of the people that are left over time are going to be adept runners.

And I would guess I probably actually type faster when casually speaking to others online, since the words that I use and the sentence structure is usually pretty similar. Like it might take me longer to type the message out because of pausing for thought like what you described, but actually typing out the words tends to feel faster and more comfortable.

It's also weighed down by an objectively inferior typing system. I'd buy one of them fancy-shmancy newfangled ones that are made with all the most used letters within close reach, but that would require learning how to type all over again and it would be only work within my own home so fuck that noise.

1) You don't have to buy a new keyboard for those, actually... I don't know anyone who did, they just toughed it out.

2) Though the average distance traveled by your fingers under QWERTY as opposed to DVORAK or DVORAK's newer, hipper, even more efficient cousins is roughly double, research is iffy as to whether or not it actually makes a big difference in typing speed due to how finger muscles work, being able to use more speed when they cover a larger distance. So yes, while other layouts are objectively better, switching to these other layouts - even for people who might theoretically learn them native rather than relearning from QWERTY - wouldn't necessarily create a notable improvement in typing speed.

Edited by CinderSkye

I thought I'd be at the absolute low end, but it looks like my 70 to 80 words per minute isn't embarrassingly poor. Hurrah! I probably type a little bit faster than that, but I make a lot of mistakes (in the range of ten to fifteen a minute...) so I'm always skipping back and forth as I fix foolings typos.

I use a slightly customized QWERTY layout, but there's only one change that might have any influence on my typing speed: a happy swap of Backspace and Caps Lock. I used to frequently mishit Caps Lock and I think it's much easier to fix a deleted letter than rewrite a word or two accidentally capitalized, but the biggest reason I made the change is that my little finger barely moves laterally so I used to have to move my whole hand to hit Backspace.

I make that mistake all the time at work now, though. Backspace should always have been more conveniently placed....

Edited by Wist

It's also weighed down by an objectively inferior typing system. I'd buy one of them fancy-shmancy newfangled ones that are made with all the most used letters within close reach, but that would require learning how to type all over again and it would be only work within my own home so fuck that noise.

I get wet every time I think about a new lettering position of keys. I'm not sure I buy the objective thing, but eh. More efficient and better given our language, quite probably.