Typing Speed?

Vorena

The last time I did a typing test, I did it for when I was looking for jobs. I was doing 92WPM from my desktop PC (adjusted; 93 with errors), and 89 (91) on my 15" laptop.

Just did that same test for shits and giggles, on a 13" MacBook Pro. 97 WPM, knocked down from 98 for two errors.

You know, I think I could probably consistently get triple-digit typing speeds comfortably if I were to actually use proper touch typing, like Mavis Beacon-style. Instead it's just a bizarre kind of "hit-with-whatever's-closest" setup. My hands don't stay in a neutral position but sort of wander around a key or two out. So if I type "look," from a neutral (index fingers on "f" and "j" keys respectively, rest of hand lined up) position, I type the first three letters with my ring finger and the last with my middle finger. But if I were to follow it up after typing, say, "type," my ring finger will still be over "p" when I begin the word so instead I'll type the first three with my middle finger and the last with my index.

Am I the only one that does this?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

well i managed to get 2580 words in one second on a typing test but i'm not sure that counts

i think i can average ~100 wpm on a qwerty keyboard if there are no weird characters or words that i've never seen before etc; i'm only marginally slower at dvorak

Edited by CT075

You know, I think I could probably consistently get triple-digit typing speeds comfortably if I were to actually use proper touch typing, like Mavis Beacon-style. Instead it's just a bizarre kind of "hit-with-whatever's-closest" setup. My hands don't stay in a neutral position but sort of wander around a key or two out. So if I type "look," from a neutral (index fingers on "f" and "j" keys respectively, rest of hand lined up) position, I type the first three letters with my ring finger and the last with my middle finger. But if I were to follow it up after typing, say, "type," my ring finger will still be over "p" when I begin the word so instead I'll type the first three with my middle finger and the last with my index.

Am I the only one that does this?

I'm not sure.

Someone install a video camera in the ceiling of this room while I don't know you're doing it, with a good angle on the keyboard, and see where my fingers go as I type.

It's just, I don't want to actually have to pay attention to stuff like that, so I'm hoping someone else will do the observation for me.

...It kinda seems like my fingers do...a bit of both, as far as what you're saying goes.

But I really don't know the location of some of the non-letter button keys that well...like, backslash, and caps lock, tilde, the f keys. When I go to those, my hands do a bit more of the "recenter" thing.

Also (big reveal??~!?!?!??!) I used to use a numpad fairly effectively, but around the time I went to college, I switched to a laptop with no numpad. And I've never bought a usb numpad.

(Wouldn't even be worth it anymore, because one of my two usb ports is on-and-off.)

Well, so there's my story.

well i managed to get 2580 words in one second on a typing test but i'm not sure that counts

Did it count? Then it counts...I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The last time I did a typing test, I did it for when I was looking for jobs. I was doing 92WPM from my desktop PC (adjusted; 93 with errors), and 89 (91) on my 15" laptop.

Just did that same test for shits and giggles, on a 13" MacBook Pro. 97 WPM, knocked down from 98 for two errors.

This good performance. What test did you use? I know this http://www.ratatype.com/learn/

117 wpm according to a test online, but that's like absolutely tryharding for a minute. Naturally typing speeds for me probably range from 80~100wpm.