A theory about Ike and Paris

Paper Jam

Not seeing each other in 3 years on top of absolutely no time to really do anything while they were in the same army does that to you

What? That makes absolutely no sense. They grew really close in PoR. They spent a lot of time alone together and Elincia clearly grew very fond of Ike. Ike, on the other hand, says in their A support that he would give his life up for her. That's about as close as you can get without romantic love. I can't see them just deciding to drop that relationship all of a sudden. Elincia and Ike could've still kept contact by having Ike visit her once in awhile and Elincia hire him and his group for jobs. It makes no sense for them to stop being such close friends, even after three years. Especially after all the shit they went through together, what with battling Daein's toughest troops and all.

That's the only option, because Ike wouldn't abandon his journey or w/e the fuck he was doing to become a King

No it isn't. Elincia doesn't have to sit on a throne to support Crimea. She can do that just fine without being queen. Ike does it very well without even being a noble, in fact.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Anacybele on Ike/Elincia making a lot of sense in FE9, but...FE10 just made it not work. I'm still rather angered by that fact.

Yeah, same here. I would have never thought Ike and Elincia even MET before RD had I not played PoR first. IS really shitted on those two with that game. Though I still loved its plot and stuff.

What? That makes absolutely no sense. They grew really close in PoR.

Define "growing close".
They spent a lot of time alone together and Elincia clearly grew very fond of Ike.
As friends, maybe. But anything else beyond that seems like quite a stretch.
Ike, on the other hand, says in their A support that he would give his life up for her.
Yes. That's because he's an honorable mercenary. And as such, he wants to see his contract with Elincia through to the end. Kinda like with Ogma's service to the Talysian royals.
That's about as close as you can get without romantic love.
Their A support wasn't that romantic.
I can't see them just deciding to drop that relationship all of a sudden. Elincia and Ike could've still kept contact by having Ike visit her once in awhile and Elincia hire him and his group for jobs. It makes no sense for them to stop being such close friends, even after three years. Especially after all the shit they went through together, what with battling Daein's toughest troops and all.
Social standings do make it hard. On top of that, Ike grew sick of tired of being a noble during the time he was in service of Elincia's court. Not to mention, he wanted to get away from the fame his exploits in Tellius earned him. I'm pretty sure Ike didn't want to leave his friends and family behind, but I can kinda see why he left. Granted, at least some of his fame caught up to him during his eventual time in Archanea/Valencia, but it didn't seem to turn out bad afterwards. Though I cannot imagine what would've happened had he stayed in Tellius.
No it isn't. Elincia doesn't have to sit on a throne to support Crimea. She can do that just fine without being queen. Ike does it very well without even being a noble, in fact.

Supporting a country is not the same thing as leading a country. Remember, Crimea's still fixing the damage Ashnard dealt. In a time like that, a country needs a leader. Edited by Little Al

IkeXVergil OTP

But seriously though, from my perspective odds are IS themselves probably didn't think this through and just wanted some fan service, but Paris might not be related to Ike at all and just have Ragnell. The "descendant" thing is very sketcy and just because Ricken is using Holsety doesn't mean he's a descendant of Levin (as an example) although that's probably just my two cents.

Sides, the problem isn't with Elincia leaving her post. No reason why Ike couldn't have made a special visit to her the night before he left. The problem is that Elincia's child by Ike would be the firstborn prince/princess of Crimea and groomed to take the throne and would have been locked into the political aspects of running Crimea.

I do agree IS dropped the ball bigtime with Elincia in both PoR and RD (IIRC, Elincia was originally supposed to join in, like, chapter 5 of PoR as a cleric, but that got scrapped for various reasons. And RD had her completely ignore her prior relationship with Ike for all intents and purposes).

Define "growing close".

It means developing a strong bond/relationship with someone. Anyone should know that.

As friends, maybe. But anything else beyond that seems like quite a stretch.

Duh. Relationships always start as friendships. I don't believe in love at first sight.

Yes. That's because he's an honorable mercenary. And as such, he wants to see his contract with Elincia through to the end. Kinda like with Ogma's service to the Talysian royals.

Because he cares for Elincia as a close friend and ally. He could have even loved her, but was conflicted between those feelings and his dislike of nobles and noble lifestyles. It's perfectly natural. I'm not saying this is exactly what happened, only that it's possible.

Their A support wasn't that romantic.

Note that I said "without romantic love."

Social standings do make it hard. On top of that, Ike grew sick of tired of being a noble during the time he was in service of Elincia's court. Not to mention, he wanted to get away from the fame his exploits in Tellius earned him. I'm pretty sure Ike didn't want to leave his friends and family behind, but I can kinda see why he left. Granted, at least some of his fame caught up to him during his eventual time in Archanea/Valencia, but it didn't seem to turn out bad afterwards. Though I cannot imagine what would've happened had he stayed in Tellius.

Yeah, I can see why Ike would want to get away for awhile too, but I don't see why he was never seen in Tellius again. That's the part that makes no sense to me. Wouldn't he want to visit his friends and family once in awhile? He called the entire mercenary company his family for crying out loud.

Supporting a country is not the same thing as leading a country. Remember, Crimea's still fixing the damage Ashnard dealt. In a time like that, a country needs a leader.

Yes, Crimea needed a leader because it had been battered by war. Yes, Elincia was the only person eligible for the throne at the time. But that became moot when Renning showed up in RD. IS could've taken Elincia's development in a different direction because of this. They could have made her realize that she can grow strong and support Crimea without having to continue to burden herself with the difficult duties of a ruler, something she was never trained for or taught to do. And Renning could have run Crimea instead, as he was originally supposed to, even. Then Elincia would be free to marry whomever she wanted and go wherever she wanted. IkexElincia shippers and TibarnxElincia shippers could have had more freedom. I felt that Elincia would've moreso enjoyed the simple life of a commoner anyway. She grew up that way, after all, away from the castle and nobles.

And stepping down from the throne is not the same thing as abandoning the country, just to clarify. It's merely resigning from the position of ruler so you can try supporting your country a different way.

Edited by Anacybele

Yes, Crimea needed a leader because it had been battered by war. Yes, Elincia was the only person eligible for the throne at the time. But that became moot when Renning showed up in RD. IS could've taken Elincia's development in a different direction because of this. They could have made her realize that she can grow strong and support Crimea without having to continue to burden herself with the duties of a ruler, something she was never trained for or taught to do. And Renning could have run Crimea instead, as he was originally supposed to, even. Then Elincia would be free to marry whomever she wanted and go wherever she wanted. IkexElincia shippers and TibarnxElincia shippers could have had more freedom. I felt that Elincia would've moreso enjoyed the simple life of a commoner anyway. She grew up that way, after all, away from the castle and nobles.

And stepping down from the throne is not the same thing as abandoning the country, just to clarify. It's merely resigning from the position of ruler so you can try supporting your country a different way.

So you are perfectly willing to cheapen (actually, by cheapen I mean completely destroy) Elincia's character development to make your wet shipping dream come true? She was given the throne after FE9, and I can imagine it would be a lot less simple than you think to just have Elincia leave and make Renning the king.

Besides, if we want random fan wank to go into this, what if Renning was rendered sterile as a result of those drugs? lol then the royal blood is dead after Renning and Elincia's long gone with some mercenary fuck after 3 years of more or less promising that she would be devoted to the throne.

So you are perfectly willing to cheapen (actually, by cheapen I mean completely destroy) Elincia's character development to make your wet shipping dream come true?

Uh, no. I would in no way destroy her development. As I said, I would take it in a different direction.

Edited by Anacybele

Elincia develops into the ruler Crimea needs. How exactly do you take that in a different direction?

In order to answer that, I'd have to go into a long explanation, one which I don't feel like getting into right now. And even if I did, it's off topic anyway. But there's always more than one way to develop a character. It's part of the freedom of creating a story.

CHILDREN! DO NOT MAKE ME COME BACK THERE!

Right, can we please leave shipping out of this? We all know what happens when it gets involved (despite being an IkeMia shipper just because). What we know:

1. There's legends about Hero of Blue Flames

2. Paris has the two skills that make up Aether

3. Paris appears to have a really messed-up old version of Ragnell.

So 1 is perfectly fine, fits with RD's ending yadda yadda yadda. As for 2, it's entirely possible that either Greil's fighting style was never passed down the family line due to wanting a peaceful life for once, or that it evolved over the years to become more flexible, or even that Paris isn't even that good at it but will one day combine the two.

3...well, it looks like it anyway, although god knows what happened to make it look like that.

As far as we know, Paris has some kind of relationship to Ike. We don't know what who or where, but it happened somehow and that's the important bit. Now can we please get back to drooling like starved hounds as the launch date comes nearer instead of lunging for each other's throats?

If Ike didn't have any children, it's pretty likely that Ike gave Mist's son Ragnall. I view Ike more of a lone-wolf character, which is also why I believe Paris is Mist's son. I disagree with Paris looking like Ike, unless you mean the blue-hair which is in Mist's genes anyway. Though even if he was Ike's descendent, we have no clue which generation. Considering he didn't say "I'm Ike's son", it's pretty likely he's not his son.

Then why even mention it in the game at all? Something this minor and not plot-relevant wouldn't be essential to keep straight. And why doesn't Mist recognize him as her descendant, but as Ike's successor instead? Would have taken just an extra line.

I've read recently that when Paris says he's Ike's descendant -- specifically, this line: 一応、蒼炎の勇者の末裔だ。-- he says it in such a way that suggests he may not mean a literal descendant. I'm skeptical considering the source (and for other reasons), but does anyone care to weigh in? My knowledge of Japanese is pretty limited.

Kinda old, but:

It seems perfectly cut out for a support or at least for Mia to have a few more lines with him. Instead he supports Reyson, Ranulf, and Lethe. Not *bad* choices, but having more reason, backing, and necessity than Mia? Heck, the only in-game justification for Mia joining the GM's following Ashnard's defeat is if she supported Rhys as that's her only real link to the group. Her other two supports aren't part of the GM's at all.

For what it's worth, Mia says at the end of PoR that she wants to stay with the GMs to train under Ike, so a Rhys support isn't really necessary as justification. I understand what you mean, though.

Then why even mention it in the game at all? Something this minor and not plot-relevant wouldn't be essential to keep straight. And why doesn't Mist recognize him as her descendant, but as Ike's successor instead? Would have taken just an extra line.

Just because he's not directly Ike's child or grandchild doesn't mean he shouldn't mention it, though I understand what you're saying. Because he is related, he mentioned it. Because he didn't say he's Ike's son however, gives fans a pretty reasonable assumption. It doesn't hold much basis, but there aren't really any implications of it otherwise. Honestly though, I do think Nintendo included Paris simply for the sake of having the handheld game appeal to people who played the console version; no basis on this thought, just my own assumption. I mean, Marth's was referred to as Anri's descendent, despite being his brother's and do we even find out that brothers name, haha? :P

But what are the chances of Mist being given Ragnell before Ike leaves Tellius? It seems rather implausible that any of her descendants try to trace Ike's steps and somehow wind up on Archanea/Valencia. If that was the case, I would think that the legend of the Hero of the Blue Flames would have much less of a time to spread throughout the world Archanea and Valencia are in. Not to mention it was easier for Marth to claim he was Anri's descendant, especially since he literally had the blood to do so, if you know what I mean. For Paris to do the same with Ike just feels rather far-fetched even when just looking at him.

Besides, Paris doesn't even have a conversation with Mist for crying out loud! Don't you think they would at least interact if Paris actually was Mist's decendant?

Edited by Little Al

Paris' sword is obviously a fake. lol

I fail to see how. Especially since it gives the exact same stat bonuses that it does in the Tellius FEs. The weaker strength, slightly less accuracy, and limited durability all can definitely be chalked up to losing Yune's (and Ashera's) blessing, followed by wear, tear, rust, and negligence towards remedying such imperfections.

Edited by Little Al

Paris' sword is obviously a fake.

Enlighten me then. Where on Ylisse Paris could forge a gold sword that has an identical blessing that came from a two halves of one Goddess on a whole other worldly plane and have a similar appearance to the sword that Ike carried centuries ago? Need you need reminding, which you obviously do, that Ragnell isn't the only weapon to have a changed in it's likeness. Speaking of 'likeness.' Let's take Falchion into account for example. According to Awakening:

The sword was broken and remade at one point in the past.

Give evidence to your claims and not your poorly thought out opinion.

He's just a huge fanboy.

How? He states his blood lineage all but once and it's never bought up after that. (Though his conversation with Yen'fay hasn't been translated. So that might change.)