Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

There's crossovers that make sense, such as Professor Layton x Phoenix Wright.

Then there's crossovers that work even if there's not much reason for them to be a thing aside from "hey why not?", like Pokemon Conquest.

Lastly, there's crossovers that just make you go "wat?". SMT x FE falls into this category.

Now all we need is Professor Layton x Phoenix Wright x Nobunaga's Ambition x Pokemon x Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem to create a new frontier for crossovers and/or cause everyone's brains to explode with the force of the big bang.

But even though it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, and even though I'm not huge on SMT outside of the Persona spinoffs, I'm still pretty excited for this. I just hope that it doesn't turn out bad, otherwise it could be problematic for the future of the Fire Emblem series which is likely still in danger of termination despite Awakening's success.

The thing is, IS wanted to make another Fire Emblem game, and they wanted it to be on the Wii U. They didn't think a standalone Fire Emblem game would make a profit on the Wii U, so they partnered with Atlus to make this instead.

A pretty ballsy move by IS to opt to make a Wii U title, if you ask me. Hopefully they're not letting Awakening's success get to their heads.

To put things into perspective, their franchise was literally on the chopping block about to be terminated before Awakening happened. Awakening's success saved the franchise, but it should be considered a stay of execution... one misstep could be all it takes for Nintendo to write off Awakening as a fluke and kill the series.

So with that in mind, IS decides they want to do... a risky crossover project on a generally unsuccessful system? Never mind the fact that Fire Emblem sells better on portable systems than it does on home consoles.

I'm not upset that I have to buy a Wii U to enjoy this game. But if this game being on the Wii U is what kills the Fire Emblem series, then I'll be quite upset.

Edited by Lain

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never

Literally never.

Honestly it's a strange crossover to begin with, and nothing has been noted except for "yeah we're on track mm'hmm" which can basically translate to "oh no we forgot whoops lel kek"

The miracle never happen.

Until Atlus and IS say it's canned, it's not canned. Folks need to remember Atlus can and will be quiet up until the months preceding a release, after which there's a deluge of info.

Learn patience peeps.

Why must it be on a wii u? Why not make another good fire emblem on the 3DS? Such a waste. And worst thing, nintendo probably even makes everyone du such things, to force people to buy that bad console.

Think of it like this they can do more with the wii u so it will be generally a better game as opposed to putting it on the 3ds

Edited by gulah

• 2 months later...

Why? What is the need to include the other game series? Is it even possible to contextualize the two appropriately without compromising on the incredibly nuanced & systematic array of assets that Fire Emblem systems bring to a story?

Why would you include both series in a crossover?!

Let's make a SMT and FE crossover but without any SMT in it.

Lastly, there's crossovers that just make you go "wat?". SMT x FE falls into this category.

It's isn't any more of a strange concept than Hyrule Warriors crossing over The Legend of Zelda and Dynasty Warriors.

It's isn't any more of a strange concept than Hyrule Warriors crossing over The Legend of Zelda and Dynasty Warriors.

But Hyrule Warriors is Zelda with Dynasty Warriors game-play mixed in. That really doesn't have the wow factor or the intrigue of a game with characters and features from the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei series.

But Hyrule Warriors is Zelda with Dynasty Warriors game-play mixed in. That really doesn't have the wow factor or the intrigue of a game with characters and features from the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei series.

We also had Nobunagas Ambition X Pokemon.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the most exciting game ever made. I have tons of hopes for it but at this point I'll be happy just to see gameplay finally.

I wonder if IS is working on anything for the Wii U since Atlus is taking the reigns on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the first two games worth playing? I just found out they're on iOS.

I recommend the second one, the first one is a bit difficult to get into but the port fixed a few of the map issues in 1 I heard, I enjoyed both of them.

Hmm, ok thanks. Is the second one accessible without the first?

The second one does follow the first one in terms of plot, but its still accessible without it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if IS is working on anything for the Wii U since Atlus is taking the reigns on this.

I hope so, though IS might be caught up in heavy work on STEAM and FE if now. They might have a Wars game going on in minor development, after all they did push one out each for GC and Wii between the Tellius games. However, they have two major 3DS titles in the works, so it may be after the release of either or both STEAM and if that they start working on a FE or Wars for Wii U. However, they might get tossed some Mario work out of the blue. IS does have more autonomy then they did, considering they started with only one dude formatting Famicom cartridges for NES systems, but it'd be nice to see them go the way of Genius Sonority in the sense that they get to do only their stuff.

The ios smt games are all in Japanese... except for the first one, and I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

They fixed the main issue with 1 the map is much easier to access.

This is my concern. I've played my fair share of smt, and it makes fire emblem look pretty kiddie.

The fact that these two games are crossing over just looks like fanservice. The only thing they share in common is the fanbase it looks like. But hey, isn't this the case for all crossovers?

This is true. It also honestly excites me (though admittedly unrealistically). I've always wanted to see what my favorite white knights and naive hopefuls of the FE universe would do in a grimdark setting like SMT, though I doubt situations like that will arise in the actual game since it probably will lean more towards simple fan service.