Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the reply. what's the difference in the gameplay between the three series? are they basically all RPGs set in modern times w/ a focus on recruiting the monsters you battle?

Megaten is modern day, i don't know much about the system.

SMT is modern post apocalyptic, you recruit demons by talking to them.

Persona series is modern day, high-school characters. you don't recruit demons.Instead, each character has a persona, which they get the weaknesses and resistances of, as well as skills.

persona 1 you get demon's cards, which you fuse to make personas.

Persona 2, you get arcana cards from demons. it costs arcana cards to summon a persona of that arcana

persona 3 and 4, your party members have one persona, which they keep. you have multiple personas, which you can switch around

a key element in all the SMT games and spinoffs (again, not sure about Meagten) is the fusion system, where you fuse two or more demons to get a new, better one. they inherit skills from the demons you fuse them from.

each particular game has nuances to its fusion system that tend to be game specific.

I'm personally not on good terms with SMT because Devil Survivor Overclocked gave me a bad impression with its "easy" mode that doesn't seem easy to me. In any case, one thing that might be hard to guess is if the grid will be diagonal or straight.

Desu is...I thought it was on/off easy hard. Like, "oh hey, first major boss, you're gonna do almost no dmg if you didn't level your MC's str."

Which exact one I'd recommend for you instead, I'm not sure.

Desu is...I thought it was on/off easy hard. Like, "oh hey, first major boss, you're gonna do almost no dmg if you didn't level your MC's str."

Which exact one I'd recommend for you instead, I'm not sure.

Nocturne would be a good start.

Not much bullshit other than some level design that makes you redo certain parts if you mess up and early game Mudo and Hama skills when you can't null them yet.

Nocturne would be a good start.

Not much bullshit other than some level design that makes you redo certain parts if you mess up and early game Mudo and Hama skills when you can't null them yet.

It also has Dante from Devil May Cry!

EDIT-Dante in my Fire Emblem yes please.

Edited by Mouse

Not that I don't mind Dante handing me ass. I mind.

I should care, I should go around weeping

I should care, I should go without sleeping

Strangely enough, I sleep well

'cept for a dream or two

But then I count my sheep well

Funny how sheep can lull you to sleep

So I should care, I should let it upset me

I should care but it just doesn't get me

Maybe I won't find someone as lovely as you

But I should care and I do

Personally, i'd suggest Nocturne on the PS2 to get into the series.

I second this. Nocturne was pretty fun for how far I got, didn't really even get close to the endgame tho (lvl 30, I know its sad)

I would also recommend Persona 3FES and Persona 4.

The story and social links are just the bees knees.

EDIT: I also can't wait to play as Hector again, or even have him as a social link. Him being in another game is just amazing.

Edited by popertop

SMT-Bro here.

For those unfamiliar with SMT, I just want to say, Persona isn't a real SMT series and only had the name slapped on in the international releases. To all the people confusing them here: you'll be torn apart by a storm of wyvern riders by most of the SMT base for mixing the two. They seem to have a very elitist dislike for Persona taking the spotlight away from the main games. SMT x Fire Emblem seems to only have mainline SMT games there: 1, 2, if..., Nocturne, Strange Journey (I need to rewatch, I think I remembered seeing it there) and 4. There will be NO Persona stuff here.

The mainline games all have silent protags, which will be really weird for the collaboration - they'll have to slap on new personalities. Also, it showed both the female and male options of the MC from if.., which are supposed to be the same person. Typically, all the games take place in post apocalyptic (usually cyberpunk) settings where the main characters have to make pacts with demons to survive, constituting their parties. There's generally a law versus chaos alignment system that determines who you end up fighting and what ending you get. They usually aren't.. good endings honestly. Law is usually an extremist Heavenly Dictatorship while Chaos typically involves either Lucifer fucking everyone up, or the main character usurping complete control. I find this all real weird, cause I'm not sure how Nintendo would really feel about their typically really good Fire Emblem heroes fighting against the Hebrew God (YHWH), Nyarlathotep or Lucifer, amoung a shitton of other mythological characters. Unlike most JRPGs, you're fighting the real dudes from mythology (who are all dicks). I have a feeling though that many of the actual villains from both series will make appearances to even things out.

I'm pretty sure this will follow a typical FE format, maybe with some Devil Survivor esque Press-Turn combat for encounters. I think.. this will be in a setting similar to Nocturnes, but with characters from both FE and SMT having been littered around the setting. They'll probably form different alliances and factions while trying to undestand what's going on and why they've been brought where they have. They'll probably end up fighting each other and prescribing to slightly different alignments. Of course, I'm sure everyone will be recruitable.

I really wonder who the main characters will be. I have a strong feeling a new protagonist will be made to unite both sides.

Edited by King Crimson

Only played P4, started P2 and P3P, so the only thing I really care about this game is the FE aspect.

Kinda seems like they'll make use of the dimension-travelling stuff introduced in FE13 to make sense of the FE main chars to appear together with the SMT chars.

Also, like Crimson said, I believe that there will be different factions of "heroes", and they will ultimately unite in the end to fight a common enemy(kinda like it was in Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3).

The mainline games all have silent protags, which will be really weird for the collaboration - they'll have to slap on new personalities. Also, it showed both the female and male options of the MC from if.., which are supposed to be the same person.

I admit, I was a bit surprised at both if... mains showing up in the teaser, as the female actually was given a name and personality in the Persona games. As for the rest, I am amused at how they will go about making them distinct and memorable. (as amusing as having a bunch of mimes controlled by the players would be.)

I honestly don't expect anyone from the "spin off" games to appear. At most, we might get Raidou because Raidou is in everything.

Edited by Otherarrow

That's a good eye you've got there. I thought I was the only one who noticed that both If... protagonists were in the trailer!

But in all seriousness, as strange as this pairing of series is, I'm very excited for it. You know when Aleph, who slew god himself, and Marth, who looks great in tiaras, start going at it, there's gonna be some serious memories made from such a game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So SMT 4 is coming out on 3DS and this is on Wii U?

that's kinda super unfair, now I have to buy SMT4, figure out what the hell SMT is, and then buy a Wii U so I can buy this game

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SMT is I guess.....to put it simply, is one big RPG franchise out there in Japan. Somebody told me that there are three main popular RPG series in Japana, and that series are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Shin Megami Tensei.

Shin Megami Tensei itself as series have started since 80s era. The main series, Shin Megami Tensei, is slow to release, and only achieve number IV in their games. But Shin Megami Tensei have a lot of spin off that mainly have similar theme of story in their games. These sub-series are Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, and others. You could read all of the good stuff here.

Overall, these crossover almost make no sense at all because between two franchise, there hardly any resemblance at all, except the crapload of character cast, and turn based battles. While FE mainly deal with high fantasy, SMT have biblical story, demons from many mythologies at their story disposal. Well, this I guess would

Now, I speculate Atlus would only include characters from the main franchise and possibly from Devil Summoner. Because the rest of them probably too "modern" in them and design like Digital Devil Saga. I would certain as hell that they wouldn't add Persona because it isn't SMT anymore SMT IV characters are the most possible to be featured since they are the freshest game in the series.

anyhow, this picture speaks the truth

3c3af6bd950b95003fb2db124bbda767.jpeg

• 8 months later...
For those unfamiliar with SMT, I just want to say, Persona isn't a real SMT series and only had the name slapped on in the international releases. To all the people confusing them here: you'll be torn apart by a storm of wyvern riders by most of the SMT base for mixing the two.

That's not entirely true. The first Persona had the title "Megami Ibunroku" in Japan, which is basically saying that it's a SMT related game without being a mainline one. The first Devil Survivor also carried the same title. Fanbase conflict is another matter, you even get large amounts of the Persona fanbase thatgot into the series through Persona 3/4 disliking the previous Persona titles.

• 2 weeks later...

SMT is I guess.....to put it simply, is one big RPG franchise out there in Japan. Somebody told me that there are three main popular RPG series in Japana, and that series are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Shin Megami Tensei.

No Tales series? And the artist who drew the picture in your sign is Cuvie, right? The way she draws female characters is remarkable.

Anyway, anybody expect the crossover will be a fighting game like P4 Arena or a card games? Or a casual racing game?

No Tales series? And the artist who drew the picture in your sign is Cuvie, right? The way she draws female characters is remarkable.

Anyway, anybody expect the crossover will be a fighting game like P4 Arena or a card games? Or a casual racing game?

Its been confirmed as an RPG since nearly day one

• 3 months later...