I Think We Can ALL Agree That No One Saw This Coming

132 members have voted

1. 1. What is the future of the FE series?

• Awakening will outsell the SMTxFE thing (can we call it FE14 or FE13.5?) and IS will return to remakes?
    • Awakening will outsell Fe13.5 (I am calling it that) and Is will make FE games with either a new plot or awakening sequels
    • FE is dead, it will go downhill after this
    • SMTxFE will do well and there will continue to be SMTxFE crossovers
    • SMTxFE will do fairly well and there will be other FE crossovers with other series
    • SMTxFE will never get released and/or localized
    • Other (please post below)

Just based upon this topic: http://serenesforest...opic=36980&st=0 I think we can agree that no one saw this coming. Damn, now I have to buy a WII U. Anyway, what do we think this means for the series? It seems to me like Awakening was kind of like a "go out on a positive note" thing before radically changing the series. I mean think about it, incorporating all of the best elements of past FE games into Awakening and pushing it so hard? It all makes sense in retrospect. But what about now? Will FE continue to be a crossover series, will it return to being straight FE, or are we getting trolled big time by Nintendo Direct? I realize that this last option is almost impossible, but think about FE12, I consider that trolling us. Personally, I know it all depends on sales but i am not sure which way it will go. This new SMTxFE game could have either an aggregated fanbase consisted of all of the FE fans and the SMT fans, increasing the popularity of both series, or fans from both sides could begin to abandon the new games in the face of such radical change. I am sure this also depends on how true this game is to the original FE gameplay, but all we can do now is speculate. Anyway, I realize this is premature since we don't know much about this game, but think of this as a continuation of http://serenesforest...opic=36980&st=0 and give your opinion on the poll.

Edited by starfirelord

I can agree that no one saw this coming. I personally think if people like it, (and it sells well) there may be more Fire Emblem crossovers. For the gameplay I think there's a decent chance it's gonna be like devil survivor, or more like traditional Fire Emblem games. The thing I'm most curious about is the plot, as both series' characters are totally out of place in the other series' universes, so I wanna see how Atlus and Intelligent Systems connect the two.

Edited by Zelos

I think a game like this could do fairly well, but not sell as well as Awakening. I'd like to see FE cross over with Zelda though! I'd totally play that!

I mean, you could take FE's style of gameplay and not only control FE characters, but Link, Zelda, some Zoras, some Gorons, etc. And move them around in maps in both Hyrule and FE lands.

But this crossover with SMT, I'd have to see footage first to actually say whether or not I'd really want it since I hadn't even heard of SMT before today.

Edited by Anacybele

I think the real question is who will be doing the writing and how much control will the other publisher be giving that party? SMT is known as one of the most well written, and usually darkest story lines around. Also SMT relies heavily on a rock-paper-scissors styled elemental system. If SMT is doing the majority of the work, then chances are this will not be like any sort of FE we are experienced with. Not to mention the focus being on monster taming and modern characters versus FE which possesses it's own charms that do not adequately tie into the other series. Honestly, this could end badly to say the least...

I think the real question is who will be doing the writing and how much control will the other publisher be giving that party? SMT is known as one of the most well written, and usually darkest story lines around. Also SMT relies heavily on a rock-paper-scissors styled elemental system. If SMT is doing the majority of the work, then chances are this will not be like any sort of FE we are experienced with. Not to mention the focus being on monster taming and modern characters versus FE which possesses it's own charms that do not adequately tie into the other series. Honestly, this could end badly to say the least...

Pokemon and Nobunaga's Ambition looked like an impossible crossover too, then we found out Conquest Worked.. I think its safe to say this will be pretty good

Crossovers seem to be the in-thing now, what with Professor Layton x Ace Attorney, Pokemon x Nobunaga, and SMT x FE.

We'll see.

Whether this crossover does well or not, I hope that it doesn't kill the Fire Emblem series.

Edited by Paper Jam

I'd like to say both options 2 and 5, I hope they have other crossovers (LoZ and such), but I want new games as well, and I want remakes. *sighs* There just isn't enough FE to go around.

I'd like to say both options 2 and 5, I hope they have other crossovers (LoZ and such), but I want new games as well, and I want remakes. *sighs* There just isn't enough FE to go around.

I edited the poll so more than one option can be chosen.

All of these poll options are terrible. I vote for "Both Awakening and SMTxFE sell very well, in no small part because their respective consoles are short on quality software, but there isn't another spinoff game for a long while because this was always supposed to be a fun one-time thing and sales wouldn't have changed that either way."

EDIT: Also, anyone saying things like "This will kill the FE series" or "This will inevitably lead FE to become a series of nothing but crossovers" might be mentally deficient.

Edited by GoogleKrom

I think people saying it will kill Fire Emblem are hitting the panic button too hard. Honestly, Awakening's strong advertising should be more than enough to show that Nintendo is trying to make it a more popular series. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pulls a GBA on us with the 3DS and released multiple Fire Emblem games for it. I certainly think IS will release another Fire Emblem 3DS game by the end of the 3DS's lifetime if Awakening sells as well as it seems it will.

I am afraid this means we won't get a true Wii U Fire Emblem game, but I guess we'll see.

I think the biggest thing this game does is prove without a doubt that Nintendo has confidence in Fire Emblem as a staple franchise. Of course it's not as big as Mario or Pokemon, however it does have its place secured among the greats.

As for what impact it will have on the series going forward, I imagine very little. I imagine that Atlus is handling most of the development with IS and Nintendo providing support and guidance. I would even bet that Kouhei Maeda has already developing ideas for the next game since last year.

Actually some people should've seen it coming partly. Atlus said a while ago they would be another crossover like P4 Arena (which is basically PersonaXBlaxblue), would be a different genre to Arena and implied it wouldn't be Persona. So yeah. I had no idea the crossover would be so awesome this time though. These two series are literally my two favourites.

All of these poll options are terrible. I vote for "Both Awakening and SMTxFE sell very well, in no small part because their respective consoles are short on quality software, but there isn't another spinoff game for a long while because this was always supposed to be a fun one-time thing and sales wouldn't have changed that either way."

EDIT: Also, anyone saying things like "This will kill the FE series" or "This will inevitably lead FE to become a series of nothing but crossovers" might be mentally deficient.

Came to say this pretty much

I don't think this fits into the numbering. The site's listing it as X, which makes sense with the placeholder (?) crossover title, so we can just call it FEX, and switch to FEX1 if there are more.

But yeah there's no way this will have any real impact on the progression of the "core" FE series. They'll just make another game after FE13, in all likelihood another new one, and maybe mix in more crossovers on the side in the future.

Besides isn't it most Atlus working on it, with IS in an advisory/supporting role? If so, then obviously Intelligent Systems can still focus on making the more the traditional Fire Emblem games.

I don't the two being mutually exclusive at all

This game might be like Pokemon Conquest: An unexpectedly good crossover that no one saw coming, that will have absolutely no long term effect on either main series.

In other words, its just a normal videogame. But I feel even this level of discussion may be too much, because the game is currently, for all practical purposes, a title screen and nothing else.

[in case you're wondering, I didn't play Pokemon Conquest.]

We might see more at E3, so I wouldn't dwell too much on it now.

All of this, this poll is terrible :(.

Besides isn't it most Atlus working on it, with IS in an advisory/supporting role? If so, then obviously Intelligent Systems can still focus on making the more the traditional Fire Emblem games.

I don't the two being mutually exclusive at all

No it was said in nintendo direct that both teams are involved. That said I'm not really sure who was given more creative control between the 2 so I can't say how big the team will be. Surely neither will use their whole teams for the cross-over because I don't think that ever happens. I also very much doubt this stops wiiU from getting another mainline FE game, when has a cross-over ever done that?

Ok, for those of you complaining about the poll options, I added an "Other" category.

Also, is there anyway to keep this topic open for when we know more about this game or do we have to risk making a duplicate topic or necroposting?