FE or SMT?

117 members have voted

1. 1. If you've played both, which do you prefer?

Greetings, fantastic fellow Fire Emblem 'ficionados! Like many, I was taken by surprise at the announcement of this FE x SMT crossover.

But there is a problem: I don't play SMT. I've tried SMT: Strange Journey on the DS and I have to say I didn't enjoy it much. Maybe refusing to fuse

demons is what turned the game into an endless grind-fest, and I hate grind-fests. Maybe I was playing it wrong? Maybe other SMT games are

different or just plain better? I don't know. But then there is also the question of whether or not SMT is even worthy of a crossover with FE.

So here's my poll for you: Which game series in general do you prefer, if either?

I would prefer it that you only vote if you've played at least one game from each series.

Oh, and if you have any good information about SMT for a non-SMT-fan like me, that would be great as well. Thanks.

I think I prefer SMT as well.

I've tried SMT: Strange Journey on the DS and I have to say I didn't enjoy it much. Maybe refusing to fuse

demons is what turned the game into an endless grind-fest, and I hate grind-fests. Maybe I was playing it wrong? Maybe other SMT games are

different or just plain better?

I wouldn't go so far as to say you were "playing it wrong", since grinding for fusion is one of the things that people do a lot. It's just that you don't need to really do it, especially so early on. Just go on exploring and negotiating and fusing whenever possible. I believe there is more of a sense of progression if you do it that way, too. That's what I did anyway, and I enjoyed the game quite a bit. When you get to the final segment of the game, you can do some solo-grinding that will give you very quick levels, allowing you to fuse everything under the Schwarzwelt sky.

Edited by Nightmare

So what would the game be like if you never, ever fused demons?

Well, yeah, not very fun. I just meant that you don't need to go out of your way and try out every fusion possibility. You'll get a good chunk of the demons if you just progress and fuse normally.

So if I fuse demons often, I can actually enjoy SMT: Strange Journey?

Also, how do other games in the series play?

I dunno. It depends on the individual, but fusion is one of the bigger aspects.

The other mainline games play pretty similarly, as far as going around, negotiating and etc. goes. The first two are even first-person dungeon crawlers, just like Strange Journey.

Edited by Nightmare

MegaTen

Go to this site for some really good info on SMT as a whole.

Let's just say that the SMT series are considered the third main RPGs in Japan after Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

If you give me some time, I can certainly go into detail about the series for you. Themes and such that the SMT games have typically. And also the jarring difference of story elements between most of the SMT series to P3,P4, and both DeSu games. And since it looks like it's the Main series and not Persona and DeSu, well let's just say I'm expecting things to got extremely crazy.

Edited by alarnis92

So the Persona games are separate from the main series? I keep hearing people talk about them in a positive light. Are there any Persona games on Nintendo consoles?

The Persona series are considered spinoffs from the Main series. In Japan they are not labeled with Shin Megami Tensei. In America they are but that's because SMT:Nocturne was pretty well received. The Persona games are on PS2 and PSP.

So Persona is considered MegaTen but not Shin Megami Tensei since you know that's the title of the Main series....

Edited by alarnis92

So what would the game be like if you never, ever fused demons?

Well, funny story about that.

In my first run of Persona 4 Golden, i fused angel, very near the beginning.

She had all four elements.

By the time i was fighting the final boss, this is what she looked like.

draw%20me%20like%20you%20draw%20your%20french%20girls.jpg

Also, I voted for Both

They are quite different series, but both fun.

Edited by Lisandra_brave

I think I'm honestly going to have to say I prefer Megami Ibunroku Devil Survivor to the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games, though that's only slightly. I still have no idea where I feel about the Megami Ibunroku Persona series, or the SMT Devil Summoner spinoff line, not having played any.

I may actually even order it like DeSu >= Fire Emblem >= Mainline, if absolutely forced and I cannot simply take "Both" (like I did in the polls).

SMT is more unique in its storylines and I like its music more and I love the designs but I voted Fire Emblem because Fire Emblem is simply more fun to play and easier to complete. The final stretch of SMT games is typically a grindfest to overcome obnoxious enemy strength and bosses become too much a battle of attrition. Strange Journey's neutral path is a sheer cliff (and you're at the bottom) as far as boss strength goes and I have yet to finish it. I LIKE SMT games but for me, the difficulty starts off smart and then the end game skyrockets into obnoxiousness.

I like the Persona games though. They're not as bullcrap-why-do-you-do-this-to-me-game than the main series is. I also finished Devil Survivor and Digital Devil Saga, both of which I really enjoyed. For the most part I think the spinoffs are more "fun" than the main series, but I'm still looking forward to SMT4.

• 4 weeks later...