Your Opinion on Bonus Exp

Jedi

127 members have voted

1. 1. Bonus EXP

• 3 weeks later...

i liked BEXP but it was never implemented correctly

In FE9 there is too much of it and it clearly breaks the game since you can use as much as you want in any unit, they should have limited the amount of BEXP that you can give to each unit per chapter (depending on the level of the unit maybe?)

In FE10 it is abusable because a lot of the units have the guarantee to hit their caps in their good stats early or mid tier 3 which gives them around 10-15 to gain stats that they are not good at, maybe they could have increased the caps or decrease the growths

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I really liked it. It made leveling up low level units so that they could be used normally far easier and made training said units far more approachable. I prefer the version from FE9 over FE10 simply because it did not punish the player for using it.

• 1 month later...

Considering the fact that 9 and 10 have no arena, free battles or dlc, BEXP is a great way to keep newer units or units that have fallen behind up to speed with the rest of the party. The conditions required to earn the BEXP also add another level of depth and challenge. To the main game creating some interesting bonus objectives.

I just began playing 9 for the first time last week and love how easy it is to give any unit an extra level up. I can't really speak for 10 but I have read the system was nerfed a bit in order to punish players who abuse it.

It was a great way to reward the player for finishing a map quickly without tracking down and squeezing the EXP out of even the last enemies on the map.

Kinda like how Battle for Wesnoth, you could wait until the last turn to get more money for the next map but since you would always get more money for your remaining turns, it was never a good idea. So you are never tempted to abuse those mechanics. It was also a nifty way to flexibly reward the player for certain side objectives.

Edited by BrightBow

• 4 months later...

BEXP doesn't really balance out weaker units, because you can use those same resources to make a good unit even better, and FE being an RPG-ish game, emphasizes god units. The concept of BEXP is neat though, because it removes the incentive to waste turns killing reinforcements or healing scratches for more EXP. The real problem was the implementation, since it was possible to achieve most map objectives without losing any potential BEXP. IMO, they should have reduced the amount of combat EXP given in FE9/10 and given more BEXP, the amount of which begins decreasing from turn 1.

Edited by blogger

Bexp. in FE10 is a great deal to max many stats as possible.

It might be broken, but I absolute like it. If an unit has maxed five stats already, the possibility will be very high to get an one stat level up. So bexp. is the great alternative to fix the other stats.

In FE9 and 10 on EM and NM you have way too much bexp. It's so easy to bring all the units to level 20 in the endgame. HM gives much less bexp., which I prefer. At least on NM the bexp. should be reduced.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

Considering the fact that 9 and 10 have no arena, free battles or dlc, BEXP is a great way to keep newer units or units that have fallen behind up to speed with the rest of the party. The conditions required to earn the BEXP also add another level of depth and challenge. To the main game creating some interesting bonus objectives.

I just began playing 9 for the first time last week and love how easy it is to give any unit an extra level up. I can't really speak for 10 but I have read the system was nerfed a bit in order to punish players who abuse it.

I do not want to bring up DLC. I am still disappointed in the direction L+ took for FE13 lol

Arena is restricting to only characters who happen to be able to clear it reliably. I cannot get all my characters in a hard mode to be able to survive the place. Especially in say FE4 where they are predetermined. BEXP has very few restrictions at all and I am not sure if I like that or not. IF there were less of it in general or harder constraints to getting BEXP, then I would think its perfect.

Edited by Vorena

I could say the same about using the arena in older FE games as well, and yet I don't see you wanting to scrap them...

I scrapped the arena in FE7. My units level fine now that they fight correctly leveled enemies.

I liked 10s 3 stats only version because (I believe) it didn't take growth rates into account meaning you could fix certain things to give a unit some points in a stat they have a low growth in. Like giving Heater enough strength to steal things.

I liked 10s 3 stats only version because (I believe) it didn't take growth rates into account meaning you could fix certain things to give a unit some points in a stat they have a low growth in. Like giving Heater enough strength to steal things.

I think the bexp. level ups aren't random. The growth rates also influence the bexp. level ups.

But you could reset over and over till you get stats you want.

I think BEXP makes some sense, but I didn't like it on the whole, especially relative to the alternatives. Clearing a chapter in a low # of turns could mean units have more time to train before the next chapter, so that's okay. I don't see how saving x number of NPCs should get you a reward of BEXP instead of, say, a pile of gold those NPCs scrape together (since they don't have to use it for funeral costs). FE10 is less abusable than FE9, but it doesn't make sense for a unit to grow in exactly 3 stats in an RNG game if the reasoning is still "training between chapters," or at least it would be a stretch to make sense of it.

Personally, it feels weird to level up units outside of combat. Arenas are better than BEXP to me for this reason. They feel a bit silly (as your other units fight for the fate of the world, Ogier the Gladiator entertains a full coliseum), but that doesn't bother me. I mean, if you're taking time away from the chapter objectives to focus on training weak units, you're kind of asking to be taken out of the story already. Although, it could be said that having an arena full of people who consider violence to be an entertaining thing that you bet on, well, actually adds impact to a game series that's trying to say "every death is a tragedy." Like, "don't lust for blood like those cheering people" or something. There were also coliseums way back when, so world building.

That said, I don't like how different the arenas feel from the tactics of the rest of the game. That's why I prefer the skirmishes of FE8 and FE13 - they don't feel like a big departure from the rest of the game in terms of gameplay or story, and they offer plenty of opportunities for training units. Now, I don't think I want every FE game to have zombies on the prowl for plot reasons (and replacing zombies with bandits could feel like bandit overkill - we don't need more bandits in FE), but BEXP is still 3rd to arenas and skirmishes for me.