Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you forgot Mystletainn (though if someone can provide the name of Owain's personal sword it may be guessable)

if the SpotPass and DLC distributions come out in the same order and timeframes as the Japanese version, we should expect to see Tyrfing, Gae Bolg and Holsety on the actual launch date with the release of the FE4 gen1 SpotPass set, and we'll have to wait a month or so for Mystletainn, Thorhammer and Naga to turn up in the possession of their wielders in the King vs King DLC series

We may not get all of them right away, but I thought we might also find out Sacred Tome Naga's name on day 1 due to the Champion of Yore DLC (unless I'm mistaken, didn't Yuria have Naga in that map?)

This is just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if Naga was renamed Naga's Ideals, for the obvious Pokemon reference.

We may not get all of them right away, but I thought we might also find out Sacred Tome Naga's name on day 1 due to the Champion of Yore DLC (unless I'm mistaken, didn't Yuria have Naga in that map?)

This is just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if Naga was renamed Naga's Ideals, for the obvious Pokemon reference.

Huh, I thought that nobody in Champions of Yore wielded "divine" weapons of any description, being that they're hilariously powerful relative to the easiest DLC maps by design. At any rate, this says Julia's only packing Arcthunder in CY1, but that she has Naga in CY3.

(also suddenly I really want "Naga's Ideals" to be a thing - one could argue that, outside of the Pokémon reference, it sort of fits?)

Edited by Rhinocerocket

Huh, I thought that nobody in Champions of Yore wielded "divine" weapons of any description, being that they're hilariously powerful relative to the easiest DLC maps by design. At any rate, this says Julia's only packing Arcthunder there.

(also suddenly I really want "Naga's Ideals" to be a thing - one could argue that, outside of the Pokémon reference, it sort of fits?)

Ah, guess I was mistaken. Since it's been awhile since the DLC, I couldn't really remember when Naga showed up.

Why is Azur now Inigo? Simple, because though it is one letter short of Azure its still pronounced the same, but Inigo is one letter short of Indigo with a different pronounciation.

Gae Bolg can probably stay the same in english.

What I'm really curious about now is whether the Barbarian class will stay barbarians or if they will change it to Brigand again.

What I'm really curious about now is whether the Barbarian class will stay barbarians or if they will change it to Brigand again.

it's confirmed to be "Barbarian", ever since the demo version. it wasn't ever really going to be a case of Brigand "again", since their Japanese names are very different.

speaking of curiosities, I'm wondering about Great Shield and Holy Shield. did they call Great Shield "Pavise" again, and if so was Holy Shield renamed to match it?

Edited by Rhinocerocket

Italics? Now why would you use those, to stress how hard it is? I can think of not even one or two but three valid reasons as to why they might have changed it.

• If he was to be Azure, Azure is a girl's name. The character in question is a boy.
  • If he was to be Azure, Azure is far more common as an English word than a name. Yarne aside, they've done everything possible to change these, it seems - see Velvet and Inverse.
  • Their name was never Azure to begin with. It was Azur, a legitimate boy's name that means 'Israeli helper.' It's a derivative of Ezra. It's just so absolutely insanely rare outside of Jewish Israelis that even you guys - who singlehandedly tried to revive dead names like Loren or are willing to allow completely made up ones for Tiamo - failed to think about these things and added an 'e'.

So why would they change it to Inigo? Why not? They kind of have to change it to something - they can't just call him ??? the whole game (although Tripquest is the best nickname ever.) If they're going to change a name, it's best that they do with to a semi-uncommon one that the Japanese would probably never pick out for their own names to avoid conflicts down the line (e.g. Celina/Selena/Serena, but on a larger scale.) With this in mind, they next need to choose a name that's meaningful. Cordelia, for instance, is the name of a tragic heroine in King Lear who could not make a big enough spectacle of her love. It's really quite a perfect name for Tiamo, no?

Now, what advantages does Inigo have? Let's do three again.

• It's Welsh. (So is Owain.) So why is being Welsh an advantage? Because it's a perfectly great source for legitimate names that most people wouldn't know but fit in perfectly with the game's near-universal European-Scandinavian theme naming. It helps that Welsh is a terrible language and nobody really likes them, which combine to make a perfect storm of names NOJ is unlikely to select later on. Inigo and Owain are friends, incidentally.
  • It means either 'unknowing' or 'fiery.' Fiery more or less explains itself - he's an upbeat kid who hits on women over fighting Sain. Unknowing can relate to his little personal tragedy. The rest of this entry and the third are in spoilers.

[spoiler=On the Children and Inigo Characterization]

Well. Alright then.

All valid points, if a bit incensed. Naturally, you're entitled to your opinion and, since you seem to like "Inigo" quite a lot, more power to you. That's the one that's in the game, so enjoy. Huzzah.

Name meanings aside, I personally preferred Azure (or Azur, if you please) simply because it "sounded" cooler to me. A girl's name? Perhaps. However, I've never met anyone, girl or otherwise with this name and I get the impression that it might be so rare that no one very few people would even have noticed any perceived gender discrepancies. (Of course, I live in America Central time. It's entirely possible that in other countries, or even in other parts of America itself, the name might be more popular. I don't know. I'm just speaking from personal experience.)

As for changing names that are too similar to objects, I've never understood this. Honestly, how many times are the words "velvet" or "inverse", or "chambray" for that matter going to come up in dialogue? Not very often. And the fact that the names would have been capitalized even further decreases the chance that they would have been mistaken for the objects. Characters from other series have kept their approximate Japanese names with great success, even those that resemble objects. Just look at "Cloud" and "Link". Would they have been the same if they were called "Claude" or "Liam" instead?

Finally, I'm a big fan for preserving the author's intent for the work as close as possible to the original. If the original developers chose a name for a character, then I think that the localized name should reflect that choice. (Disregarding censorship issues, of course. If one of the characters was named "****head", for example, then I would definitely be for changing it.) As it stands, however, "Inigo" is so wildly different from the original that, no matter how good it might or might not be, I can't approve of it.

Edited by DarkDurandal

Just look at "Cloud" and "Link". Would they have been the same if they were called "Claude" or "Liam" instead?

yes

literally nothing else about them would be different; they'd just have a different name. (not to mention, they're both from games where you can just completely rename them anyway)

Also those are basically pre-internet names so chances are nobody would have known/cared that the names were changed in the first place. We would be looking at the Japanese version and thinking "Hey, that is kind of a dumb name for a person."

Finally, I'm a big fan for preserving the author's intent for the work as close as possible to the original. If the original developers chose a name for a character, then I think that the localized name should reflect that choice.

And that's fine, I think this is an important thing to consider in discussions like these. However, we don't really know what the original intent was behind any of these names. We can only speculate, and there's nothing to say that NOJ didn't have some input in the NOA translation (Nintendo is famously protective of their IPs). In the absence of evidence as to the author's original intent, I think the debate can really only stand on a matter of taste. And taste, of course, is going to change based on the person.

I understand that people got attached to the fan names, or the NOJ names, but in the end there was always going to be some change. The series has a long history of such and it was bound to happen again. I do think it's cool that Awakening has such a passionate fanbase. It's a good sign for the future of the franchise outside of Japan.

Love that Azur's name is now Inigo because of The Princess Bridge, although I do agree with the idea that it's "Indigo" with the "d". Now I wish I wasn't won over by ChromXSully so I could make his "You killed my father, prepare to die" so fitting for me.

Owain is an awesome name, so I approve.

FIRE EMBLEM'S EPIC YARNE.

Well. Alright then.

All valid points, if a bit incensed. Naturally, you're entitled to your opinion and, since you seem to like "Inigo" quite a lot, more power to you. That's the one that's in the game, so enjoy. Huzzah.

Name meanings aside, I personally preferred Azure (or Azur, if you please) simply because it "sounded" cooler to me. A girl's name? Perhaps. However, I've never met anyone, girl or otherwise with this name and I get the impression that it might be so rare that no one very few people would even have noticed any perceived gender discrepancies. (Of course, I live in America Central time. It's entirely possible that in other countries, or even in other parts of America itself, the name might be more popular. I don't know. I'm just speaking from personal experience.)

As for changing names that are too similar to objects, I've never understood this. Honestly, how many times are the words "velvet" or "inverse", or "chambray" for that matter going to come up in dialogue? Not very often. And the fact that the names would have been capitalized even further decreases the chance that they would have been mistaken for the objects. Characters from other series have kept their approximate Japanese names with great success, even those that resemble objects. Just look at "Cloud" and "Link". Would they have been the same if they were called "Claude" or "Liam" instead?

Finally, I'm a big fan for preserving the author's intent for the work as close as possible to the original. If the original developers chose a name for a character, then I think that the localized name should reflect that choice. (Disregarding censorship issues, of course. If one of the characters was named "****head", for example, then I would definitely be for changing it.) As it stands, however, "Inigo" is so wildly different from the original that, no matter how good it might or might not be, I can't approve of it.

Well as far as how common the name Azur is in other countries and time zones, I'm in the Eastern time zone of Canada and I've never met an Azur either, nor did I pick up on any feminine conotations. Yeah, Warner Bros. aired a cartoon with a character named "Black Velvet" but then, this is a superhero version of the Loony Toons we're talking about, so maybe Nintendo thought they should go in a different direction with her name. I thought Inverse was kind of cool, especially given the meaning of the word, but then I realized that Aversa still conveys a very similar meaning in a subtler way while making for a more feminine sounding name. Really the only thing in Chambray that makes me think of it as being a word is that it contains the word "bray," you know like a donkey, and I don't think Nintendo wants you thinking of a donkey when playing as a character that turns into a giant rabbit. Also Serge was another one of these names, but that one sounds kind of masculine, but then maybe that's because Nintendo already used Lt. Surge for the 3rd Gym Leader in the 1st Gen Pokemon games. Not that the replacement name in her case and others haven't also been weird, but the only one that really bugs me is Walhart, its like Walmart, only the mart is a hart, which is to say a buck or a stag, and there is also chain of department stores called the Hart store, I know because we have Walmart in one mall, and Hart in the other. So now I won't be able to think of Valhart without thinking about department stores, one of which is perplexingly named after a large bull deer.

Just look at "Cloud" and "Link". Would they have been the same if they were called "Claude" or "Liam" instead?

There would be a few differences...

rr318h.jpg

just not the same...

Edited by Sw3Et

Chambray is Yarne

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the fuck up. Chambray's name was changed to Yarne? No, seriously, it's Yarne?

...Eh, I guess I can get used to it. It's not as ridiculously awesome good as Nn being localized to Nah, but it serves its purpose. But god dammit, now I'm going to imagine Yarne as...well, just that: a giant ball of yarn who is cuddled a whole fucking lot. That might explain his supports with the females. Haha

Edited by Karaszure