Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

suddenly i'm tempted to go over the credits in each language to see if they changed Priam's name (definitely not Excellus, in case it wasn't obvious :P), but eh i couldn't be bothered to sit through most of the credits four times i can wait until his paralogue is released

meanwhile just finished up with the Spanish version so some quick observations (along with German and French ones I forgot earlier)

• Helswath is "Hels Zorn" in German, and "Phuria" in Spanish. Valflame is also "Valflamme" in German, but the Spanish version retains "Valflame". Tyrfing, Yewfelle, Gungnir and Balmung have not been changed in any of these languages
  • Grima's Truth is a fun one: it's "Œil de Grima" (Eye of Grima) in French, "Grimas Wahrheit" (Grima's Truth) in German, and "La Verdad" (The Truth) in Spanish
  • the Deadlords are called the "Todesfürsten" (Princes of Death) in German, and the "Resurgidos" (Arisen) in Spanish. in both languages, all twelve retain their English names
  • this is fairly old news given that both names are on the respective website, but the Second Seal is called the "Scolaris" in French. while the Master Seal's French name (Magister) matches a type of tertiary certification used in France whoops actually it's several european nations which aren't france, such a thing doesn't seem to exist for Scolaris even though it sounds thematically similar, though it could derive from the French scolariser, the verb for sending someone to school
  • the Missiletainn's Spanish name is "Misilteinn". compared to the excellent French and German names, this is kind of a letdown
  • the Lodestar is "Sternenlord" (Starlord) in German, and "Polaris" in French. Polaris, the brightest star in Ursa Minor, is sometimes referred to as... you guessed it, the Lodestar or Guiding Star

pretty much everything else is a straight-up translation without anything particularly interesting to it

italian version stuff later

Edited by bookofholsety

Excellus is already a separate character. You sure you read that carefully?

Whoops... My bad... So, no news about Priam yet...

But Validar is definitely Valldar. I even checked again.

suddenly i'm tempted to go over the credits in each language to see if they changed Priam's name (definitely not Excellus, in case it wasn't obvious :P), but eh i couldn't be bothered to sit through most of the credits four times i can wait until his paralogue is released

meanwhile just finished up with the Spanish version so some quick observations (along with German and French ones I forgot earlier)

• Helswath is "Hels Zorn" in German, and "Phuria" in Spanish. Valflame is also "Valflamme" in German, but the Spanish version retains "Valflame". Tyrfing, Yewfelle, Gungnir and Balmung have not been changed in any of these languages
  • Grima's Truth is a fun one: it's "Œil de Grima" (Eye of Grima) in French, "Grimas Wahrheit" (Grima's Truth) in German, and "La Verdad" (The Truth) in Spanish
  • the Deadlords are called the "Todesfürsten" (Princes of Death) in German, and the "Resurgidos" (Arisen) in Spanish. in both languages, all twelve retain their English names
  • this is fairly old news given that both names are on the respective website, but the Second Seal is called the "Scolaris" in French. while the Master Seal's French name (Magister) matches a type of tertiary certification used in France whoops actually it's several european nations which aren't france, such a thing doesn't seem to exist for Scolaris even though it sounds thematically similar, though it could derive from the French scolariser, the verb for sending someone to school
  • the Missiletainn's Spanish name is "Misilteinn". compared to the excellent French and German names, this is kind of a letdown
  • the Lodestar is "Sternenlord" (Starlord) in German, and "Polaris" in French. Polaris, the brightest star in Ursa Minor, is sometimes referred to as... you guessed it, the Lodestar or Guiding Star

pretty much everything else is a straight-up translation without anything particularly interesting to it

italian version stuff later

Magister and Scolaris as Latin word... (or at least Latin-based...)

Magister means Master (It made me thinks of Negima (Magister Negi Magi). Master is actually a graduation in many European country, including French. (Actually, I think ytha Master is the equivallent of Magister... Yeah, the name makes no sense to me either...°

Scolaris... I can't find it, but It should be the same world who give "School" and "Scholar".

...Apparently, the true form is Scholaris/Scholares, and mean "school related". That was also the name for the Imperial Guards, but here it's clearly the idea of studying here...

Edited by TendaSlime

i guess i'm not done yet because i just noticed another quirk: in the European releases of FE7 (including the English one) quite a few place names were modified: Ostia became Ositia, Bern became Biran, etc etc. the European English version of FE13, however, retains the American names for these FE7 places despite being consistent with the European FE11's changes to its place and character names. the other European languages do keep the old European changes, though

it's as unimportant as they come but yeah

• Helswath is "Hels Zorn" in German, and "Phuria" in Spanish.

I'm beginning to believe that Helswath is supposed to sound similiar to "Hel's Wrath" now (Zorn means "wrath", and is a family name, while the Spanish translation "Phuria" is similiar to "furia", which means "fury", "anger", "madness", "wildness", etc.)... which would be really damn cool!

I'm beginning to believe that Helswath is supposed to sound similiar to "Hel's Wrath" now (Zorn means "wrath", and is a family name, while the Spanish translation "Phuria" is similiar to "furia", which means "fury", "anger", "madness", "wildness", etc.)... which would be really damn cool!

i for one figured it was a mistranslation on their part - "swath" is hardly a common word, so it's not impossible they looked at it and saw the somewhat more common "wrath" instead

kinda like how the Spanish version of FE11 misinterpreted "Wing Spear" as "Wind Spear", except this is more understandable and honestly the outcome isn't half bad, if a little cheesy even by FE standards

To be honest, the meaning of "swath" (the space covered by the stroke of a scythe) is kinda cool to, when you think about just which God(dess) lent their name to the weapon. (The Norse death goddess.)

in general Helswath is a pretty good example of every language team getting it really right in their own manner (except maybe the japanese seriously what was even the deal with "Swanchika" anyway)

I read on another forum that the Tharja/Nowi conversation in the EU version of the first scramble map was censored? It could just be some BS someone is posting to troll, but just asking.

(...Would this have been better asked in the DLC script thread?)

Edited by L95

I read on another forum that the Tharja/Nowi conversation in the EU version of the first scramble map was censored? It could just be some BS someone is posting to troll, but just asking.

(...Would this have been better asked in the DLC script thread?)

I've heard the same, and I can check it if you want.

EDIT: Confirmed. It's changed to referring to her hair. Hahahah! XD

Edited by Folt

• 2 weeks later...

Slipped my mind until now, but since everything of import was already discovered already, I think it's safe to just remove this topic from the pinned list and let it fall to the wayside. If a mod sees this message, could you take care of that?