Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, Kjelle...

Kjell is a masculine given name in Norway, Finland and Sweden, in Denmark the cognate is Kjeld or Keld. It is derived from the Old Norse: kętill, meaning "kettle," "cauldron," or "helmet."

Looks like they feminised this name

I would like to correct that since I've never met or heard of anyone called "Kjell" in Finland. Heck, we would find it too hard to pronounce probably since we wouldn't pronounce it "Shell-a" :p

And yes, I made this account for sake of posting about this. I should probably check out if I have OCD or something ;P

Is Owain pronounced o-WANE or o-WEN?

Well, if they meant o-WEN then it would probably have just been Owen, Owain seems more like an o-WANE which would rhym with Gawain, as in Sir Gawain of the Knights of the round table. This would also hint at a celtic origin to the name, Gawain was a Celt. This is much better then Wood.

Well, if they meant o-WEN then it would probably have just been Owen, Owain seems more like an o-WANE which would rhym with Gawain, as in Sir Gawain of the Knights of the round table. This would also hint at a celtic origin to the name, Gawain was a Celt. This is much better then Wood.

I do believe Gawain is supposed to be pronounced more similarly to GOW-en than GA-WANE.

Edited by Weebos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owain

someone who know how to read those pronounciation symbols/knows Welsh can figure it out I dunno how to tho but it is there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owain

someone who know how to read those pronounciation symbols/knows Welsh can figure it out I dunno how to tho but it is there

Looks like the "ai" is a long i sound. Hm. The O is the "oe" in toe, with a Scottish English pronunciation. ...However that's supposed to sound.

edit: NINNNNJAAAAA

Edited by Tsamimi

I guess it makes sense that they use a French spelling for Jerome, given his mother.

If memory serves it's an italian variant of the name.

Putting that aside, Jérôme seems more widely used (even then it really isn't a common name in France) as a first name. Gérôme on the other hand is more common as a last name.

Edited by Sartek

Names found and Vincent needs to be move to the site

Characters

Laurent (Loran)

Gerome (Jerome)

Legacy Characters

Bosses

Vincent (Handsome) (S2)

Victor (George) (S4)

Items

Waste (Il tome)

Ruin

Skills

Aptitude (Good Growths)

Anathema (Crimson Curse)

Armsthrift (Weapon Saver)

Actually, the orange bandit's name is Victor (the one that fought in S2) and the purple bandit's name is Vincent (the one that fought in S4 also).

Edited by King Marth 64

So lemme get this right, just to sum up everything so far.

Henry's name is retained.

Libera -> Libra

Wood -> Owain

Azure -> Inigo

Brady's name is retained.

Degel -> Kjelle

Cynthia's name is retained.

Selena -> Severa

Jerome -> Gerome

Loran -> Laurent (so his Japanese name is retained. That's a first)

Noire's name is retained.

Nn -> Nah

George -> Vincent

Handsome -> Victor

That about right? I guess all we're missing is Chambray's name. We're not gonna find out if Paris' name is retained until his Spotpass mission comes out >_>

I do believe Gawain is supposed to be pronounced more similarly to GOW-en than GA-WANE.

Well if that's true then nobody told the actors on Merlin, they pronounce it more like G<insert schwa vowel/upside-down "e" symbol here>-wane taking its Celtic rather than English origins as to put the stress on the schwa, which is not exactly something most english speakers are used to doing, since it isn't used that way in english. Though there seems to be a consensus on the o and ai vowel sounds being long o and i sounds respectively.

Also I'm glad they went with Laurent, since out of the options it seemed the most fitting as the name Miriel would give her son, with Roran reminding me too much of a certain dragon rider's muscular cousin, raised as a brother, and Loran sounding more like a comprimize between the two than an actual name.

Oh, man I just noticed that Libera has now been added as Libra (I'm a Libra!), that one definately needed clarification, and now its a Zodiac sign.

So lemme get this right, just to sum up everything so far.

Henry's name is retained.

Libera -> Libra

Wood -> Owain

Azure -> Inigo

Brady's name is retained.

Degel -> Kjelle

Cynthia's name is retained.

Selena -> Severa

Jerome -> Gerome

Loran -> Laurent (so his Japanese name is retained. That's a first)

Noire's name is retained.

Nn -> Nah

George -> Vincent

Handsome -> Victor

That about right? I guess all we're missing is Chambray's name. We're not gonna find out if Paris' name is retained until his Spotpass mission comes out >_>

Seems like that's correct. Also, they might do the same thing the Japanese version did with the credits, and drop Paris' name there.

Not quite a name, but. It's confirmed Gregor speaks with a Russian accent, and he's not stupid, he just doesn't know the language very well

"I am Melee Weapons Guy. And this--" *pulls out Brave Sword* "--is my weapon."

On another note, Nah is just perfect. Inigo cracks me up, and makes me want to do fanart based on that. Gerome was a bother at first, but I'm starting to warm up to it.

Libra, huh? So my Avatar may be marrying a zodiac sign... If the change that I'm afraid of happens, -double- the awkwardness.

Edited by Tiaramaki