FE 4 tips

deathinajar

I've only ever played from the GBA generation onward, so I thought I'd try my hand at FE 4. I found out that it's a COMPLETELY different type of Fire Emblem. I just barley get past the prologue with out anyone dying and then I get completely overwhelmed by the first actual chapter. Can someone give me some tips for this game or explain how to find out if I get two attacks? Thanks!

Deploy everybody, keep formation, pull enemies a group at a time. Just take it slow, you'll be fine. FE4's weird, but it's not too hard once you get used to it.

Doubling only happens the way you're used to if a dude has the Pursuit skill, in which case they'll double if their attack speed is greater than their target's by at least 1. There's nothing to mitigate weapon weight in this game, so AS is just speed minus weight. Charge and Continue can give extra attacks, but they have to activate.

Since you've played through the first two chapters you probably already know this, but the rescue option doesn't exist at all in FE4 so don't expect to be able to rescue your units to get them out of tight situations. Trading sorta technically exists in this game, but you have to sell the item at a castle and have the person you want to receive the item buy it at any castle's shop. Characters can only buy weapons they can use (so you can't have Sigurd buy A rank lances or any other weapon he doesn't have a rank in, etc.)

You have access to the arena already since you've passed the prologue. I'd advise you have everyone go through as many arena matches as they can (there's no risk because losing doesn't result in character deaths) for some free money and exp. Don't hesitate to use your best stuff! Every weapon and staff can be repaired at any castle at a price.

Another little note is that villages aren't instantly destroyed by bandit attacks; it'll take 10 turns for the village to be completely destroyed (2 turns for each 'segment' of the village). Saving villages nets you some very useful rewards, but don't feel obligated to rush to save them because the things they give can be done without.

As Integrity said, slow it down a bit. Don't be afraid to hit and run with your mounted units until you get enemy groups down to a size that's manageable for you. Oh, and every character will get a +10 boost to avoid and accuracy when they're within 3 spaces of Sigurd, so keep that in mind too when you're placing your units.

Good luck!

Abuse the weapon triangle and horses are GODS because of Canto being so ridiculous in this game. The biggest thing though is to make sure you know that your force can take on an army that is attacking it. If you are attacked on two fronts(and you will be) look at the two armies and find their weaknesses. For example, if you face a Dracoknight army, bows and magic are nice to have.

Edited by Austin LePurple

Check the convoes each character can initiate at the start of the chapter and after every castle. You can get some really cool stuff that way. Also if you don't mind spoiling yourself on some I'd-Never-Find-Out-By-Myself hidden stuff, look here.

http://serenesforest.net/fe4/secret.html

Use mounts.

And check the convos and hidden events page on the main site.

And don't be afraid to spam stronger weapons, like Sigurds SIlver Sword. It's a good idea to do so.[Killer Silver Sword]

And remember that you want to use the arena.

And remember that you want to use the arena.

To elaborate, the arena's enemies are fixed for each chapter (so no surprises), and dying in the arena doesn't kill you, just leaves you at 1 HP. So make sure you get as many people as possible as far as possible in the arena in each chapter, it's a lot of free gold and EXP.

Another little hint, I've only started playing it recently, but I found out quite a bit, so here's a couple tips from me.

1. It is a pain to train infantry, you're gonna have to put a little extra effort into them if you wish to keep them strong. Arden is not worth the weight he puts on your team, the maps in this game are so big it makes armour knights like him sadly useless. Azel, Ira, Lachesis, Levin and Holyn are all very rewarding infantry units, especially Ira and Levin, as Ira has an amazing skill set, and Levin has super speed and the Holsety tome.

2. Pay attention to what you can grab, as there is no easy way to trade in this game. If a boss has a valuable weapon that you can take on him, make sure he is killed by someone who can use that weapon efficiently. Remember, those weapons are also passed down to the kids, as well as any rings which are also quite valuable.

3. It gets easier, the first couple chapters are daunting, but as you play you get to understand the pattern on how things turn out. Plus, once you have put effort into a good team of godly warriors, nothing becomes impossible. Levin gets to the point where he can solo hordes of enemies, Sigurd is dominating from start to finish, and units like Lex get strong fast.

4. Don't let Dew die, my Valkyrie staff is sadly broken Dew to Dew haha, I made a pun.

I didn't really read any of the other responses so I'm sorry if I repeat any. It's ok to arena abuse, Fin is your man, make two save files because you can't restart chapters, and finally leave these forums. That may sound mean or unkind but I'm telling you for your own good. People on these forums will spoil everything in this game. They will tell you who to pair with who and what you should do. After awhile they'll argue among themselves. If you already know the spoilers stay but if you don't leave until you finish the game.

One thing people haven't mentioned: Pairings and the love system!

The basics: As a precursor to the Support system, couples can fall in love during the game. Partway through the game, you'll be able to use their children, and how you pair them will affect the items, skills, and stats the children have. So, take a look at a pairing guide. Or, if you want, I can give you the basics on some of my favorite pairings.