Fire Emblem: Awakening Ending (Mega Spoilers)

Knight

What ending did you choose?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Ending

• Chrom sedates Grima
    • Cross the streams and kill Grima yourself

So? How do you think of that ending? Personally I liked it quite a bit, compared to other games in the series, I felt really excited with the final battle, and I actually stopped and hesitated before I chose to send Grima down to hell. Speaking of which, what ending did you choose? Who delivered the final blow? Naga's quote before the battle, in which she says there is a slight chance of your survival, reminded me a lot of the final battle in Ghost Busters, but I actually thought that there was a possibility of my character dying. Anyway, I liked the ending, what do you guys think?

I was actually raving about this last year:

In this topic

For one thing, the "bittersweet end" which I got first because I wanted my self-insert MU to finish it thoroughly.

The idiot ends up sacrificing himself... Making pretty much his wife, son, and daughter to be extremely sad.

I was dying on the inside.

It was reading through the credits and character endings in constant agony.

I see "Fin" on the screen.

I NEVER SAW OLIVIA'S ENDING.

I'm like UUUUUURRRRGH. YOU'RE KILLING ME! THAT CAN'T BE IT!

I CAN'T HAVE JUST DIED AND LEFT MY WAIFU AND CHILDREN LIKE THAT!? crying.gif

I muster up some courage press "A" to go on, fearing the worst that the title screen will just appear and cause me to rage.

And then... looks like the movie you see at the start when MU wakes up... I thought "is this another time loop?". And then I noticed the hand didn't have the mark... and that Krom knows you. ZOMG REUSING ANIMATIONS.

And then suddenly this:

ReiOliviaEnding.png

...the last part.

Ha...

Ha.

Ha ha ha ha.

HA HA HA HA HA HA. lolololololol.gif

The fact that I had to go through that agony, but somehow came back at the end... made me rage, but it was satisfying.

But still, IT HURT GOING THROUGH THAT.

The whole point in the ending is to deliver an experience as felt by shadowofchaos - shock and hating to see MU dead, then turning it 180-degree by revealing that MU's alive and rejoined Krom, no longer bound by Gimle's blood.

I will always go for the "true" ending.

This damn game attaches you to it right until the very end with that.

Despite this:

For one thing, the "bittersweet end" which I got first because I wanted my self-insert MU to finish it thoroughly.

The idiot ends up sacrificing himself... Making pretty much his wife, son, and daughter to be extremely sad.

I was dying on the inside.

It was reading through the credits and character endings in constant agony.

That part of it just made me like the game even more when MU came back.

Edited by shadowofchaos

That last bit where Chrom finds you on the plain really hit me, I thought that something set me back in time, and then I noticed there was no mark on my hand, and then Chrom's "welcome back" almost made me cry. Now I can go back to my lovely Lucina.

One one hand, the ending sequence was absolutely awesome, and I was really hesitating on the final Choice.(In the end I chose to let Chrom do it, because I just couldn't bear to give up the happy ending for everybody >_>). On the other hand, though, it was kind of evil, because I was expecting them both to be bittersweet options, and instead, when I tried killing Grima myself, it turned out that it was actually pretty much the "coward option" and "Sacrifice yourself and pull through" option. Basically, I would have expected my Avatar to pull through because of Naga's "slight chance", except that they gave us the two options, which made it seem as though neither option would turn out net better than the other. Still, it was really good in all ^_^

Edited by The Magus

I gave myself up at first. Then later, on another identical save that I had prepared earlier I took the other option.

I like sacrifice self better than CHROM'S WEAK ATTEMPT AT SLASHING!

The amounts of feels it gave me were too much for me to take it all. I'm replaying a new campaign to experience it but with different options of characters. (Although I'm going to make MU the badass mercenary again~)

I never hesitated, automatically went for the sacrifice ending. I was definitely expecting MU to survive, so I was pretty shocked when they kept it so ambiguous until that final scene.

I still don't particularly like how they handled "finding" him. I just can't reconcile with the fact that there's no "omg you're alive!" scene between MU and his significant other instead of a basically recycled scene. I also hate that the final chapter's still accessible, it makes the game feel incomplete.

Obviously, that would've been a lot more work, so I see why they did it this way. I just wanted a reunion scene between MU and Lucina(my wife) and Morgan, even if it had to be partly done using the game engine.

The ending and the scene where Lucina tries to kill MU so he doesn't turn on Chrom are my two favorite in the game, probably. So dramatic. smile.gif

That last bit where Chrom finds you on the plain really hit me, I thought that something set me back in time, and then I noticed there was no mark on my hand, and then Chrom's "welcome back" almost made me cry. Now I can go back to my lovely Lucina.

Same. I thought that he was caught in a time loop forever until I saw the Mark of Grima was gone. I would be lying if I said my eyes stayed completely dry.

At the beginning of the Endgame chapter, when your evil self is trying to make you submit to Grima, and My Unit is lying alone in darkness, scared and unmoving...until s/he hears a voice calling out for them. Not just one voice, though! The voices of all the men you have with you in that battle! As in the units chosen, not just "plot-important" characters. It was so unexpected, since I was thinking they'd shove Lissa in somehow even though I haven't touched her since Chapter 5 but she still keeps showing up. I admit, I teared up something fierce, it was so beautiful and touching, how your chosen units will call out for you. Especially your spouse and Morgan, my goodness. To hear the game actually acknowledging we're an item (Ricken, paraphrased: Don't go, Maeve! You're too important to me!) I'm so glad I gave FE:A a chance, the story is just so well done and beautiful. I have yet to actually FINISH Endgame, but I plan to sacrifice myself to kill Grima. Doing it any other way would make all the suffering the units went through for naught.

I picked Chrom sedating Grima into slumber. I find it morbid and interesting that you can choose to allow MU and Chrom's pitfalls to ultimately doom another generation because they can't sacrifice a single life.

Then again, it's all part of the "would you save a single life if it was so important, or leave it to die for the sake of millions?" theme that resurfaces throughout the game. They really do leave it as a moral choice for the player (with no true "happy" ending; I was pleased with this).

Choose to kill Grima myself, I couldn't bear leaving it up to my best friend to finish something that I-technically-started. I actually closed my eyes during the scene and said this-starting from the choice.

"I'll do it Chrom, Grima is my fate and my fate alone. If you finish him then it would make my strategy useless. Even though I'm sure I won't survive, I know that we'll meet again and this time I'll know who you are. Sayonara my dear friend..."

then after that I just can't remember it clearly as I burst out crying from that as well as the fact I had my eyes closed.but then I heard the credit music and while going through the endings I wondered where Avatar was and I figured he must've been last, when I saw the endings draw to a close and still no Avatar I began to worry, thinknig it was all for nothing. As soon as it loaded up another scene however I realized that it was the same as the first expect there was no mark. Then Maribelle and I popped up and I was completely left in awe. Bravo IS for making such a powerful game and to NoA for the awesome localization.

I ended up giving myself up with no second thought. My Avatar is a persona of myself, so I did things exactly as he and I would.

Leaving my Bromance buddy Chrom was pretty hard, especially with all he has done to keep me intact, but I wanted to rid the world of another catastrophe for generations to come. Leaving Cherche, Morgan, and Gerome sucked hard too, but eh, they had Minerva.

Watching as everyone hoped for my return, including Minerva, was very heartwarming and bittersweet. Watching through the credits as there was no hint to my fate was pretty rough too. For a moment, I almost thought they killed me off completely. But then I noticed they skipped Cherche and I was baffled, then I got to the scene where I came back, and then the final paired ending.

I ended the game with a smile on my face. Well done, IS. Well done.

I chose the sacrifice. It wasn't really a tough choice, I knew I'd be really unsatisfied if Grima was left alive. The really hard choice for me was in the chapter before, when Chrom wants you to promise you won't do it. What I really wanted to say was "I won't plan on doing it, but if there's no better choice, then I can't make any promises." MU didn't really say that though, it was more of a "I'm really sorry, but it's my choice." So I felt pretty bad about that.

And I was pretty depressed during the credits and all, I was hoping you'd survive it on the spot, and it was pretty heart-wrenching seeing everyone look off into the distance and hope you're still out there. I was nearly crying at the End screen. I knew I made the right choice and all, but later on I started feeling really sad about the choice again and tried the other ending. Sacrifice is definitely the preferred choice for me. Chrom sedating is definitely the more superficially happy ending, but yeah, I was too uncomfortable with leaving Grima alive. What really sets the sacrifice as the better ending is the stinger. I'd really resigned myself to the game just saying "Maybe they meet again who knows," but the cutscene was just so incredibly heartwarming and comforting. It was the perfect way to end the game for me.

I thought that the "Kill Grima forever" ending was kind of a cop-out, since the game makes it abundantly clear that you won't actually die, so there's no real reason to choose the other option.

If it was an actual self-sacrifice ending, I think it would've been much better. But I recognize that it would've been difficult, being that there's a postgame.

I sacrificed myself to kill Grima.

It didn't feel right to have the future generations deal with his crap.

I really like how they did the credits. I nearly raged for hours about the ending, till the end of the credits. When I saw that last screen with Noire and my epilogue on it, I think I may have shed a tear or two.

The final boss stuff before the actual fight was incredible. The music really helped with the scene. Everyone telling you to come back to them (especially Lucina) was epic. I got the kill on Grima with the avatar via Lethality. But because of Dragonskin, it was just a really cool normal attack. I then chose to kill Grima in order to give a future to everyone. I contentedly watched the ending, found myself coming back with no mark on my hand and Chrom saying "Welcome back." I saw my ending and it was cool and everything. I only wish they changed the ending to fit with some of the more.. special characters. (Lucina, Tiki, ect.)

I wonder if they have new endings for completing Future of Despair 3. I hope so. MORE ENDINGS FOR ALL!

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said in the other thread (I've only beaten it once so far), I chose for Chrom to end it.

Yeah, yeah, I know, its not the "real" ending that makes everything meaningful, but IMO even though I would probably choose to sacrifice myself in real life, I know I would hesitate. I know that even if I don't ending up choosing the Chrom option, I would seriously consider it, especially since I'm married to him. How awful would it be to put him, my daughter and son, and all of my friends through that? And this is with the mindset that you probably WILL NOT return at all. I dunno, I just feel like even though the sacrifice will bring greater good and you're sort of expected to do it, I like the fact that you can say no. That you can be selfish for once and cling to those who are important to you and have the will to live, unlike the sacrificial lamb you are "supposed" to be in destiny's eyes. At the very least, no one ever begrudges you the choice to choose your fate; in fact, everyone rejoices that you chose to live and didn't die. And if Grima can be defeated once, he can be defeated again. Hey, it provides a sequel hook!

I chose to kill grima myself.

*cue Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-isque ending scenes*

Except Chrom didn't cry. Because if he had, it'd have been called a pansy by the fans. lol

I have a question though. Is it possible for the avatar to not come back? Like, if you had no supports with anyone? ._.;

I chose the MU-let's-kill-Grima-&-myself-in-one-shot-because-I'm-an-awesome-selfless-hero Ending.

I spoiled every inch of this game for myself before it was released but when it came to endings, I made a B-line in the opposite direction. If I was going to spoil anything for myself, it was everything BUT the endings. So when the 'The End' came up on the screen & the Epilogue thing didn't include my waifu Lucina & myself, I almost flipped the couch I was sitting on. But of course, I pressed the A button & waited to see what would happen next & then.... the tears.

I HAVE NEVER CRIED SO MUCH DURING A VIDEO GAME ENDING BEFORE that's right, Tales of the Abyss. Fire Emblem is still better than you when it comes to making me cry gahahah~

But seriously, I think this Ending was the best in any FE game (of the 7 I've played anyway.) It was just really well done & the last cutscene. Gosh. I thought the mark of Gimle or whatever you want to call it disappearing from my hand was all that was going to be different, but when Krom opened his mouth & said 'Welcome back.' I had to actually put my 3DS down for a few seconds to catch my breath. heheh..

But no, this game takes the cake........

........I'm sorry FE7. I'm still incredibly biased toward you..... but FE13 has claimed the spot of my favpurite FE game ; 3;

I sacrificed myself. I actually didn't expect to come back, I just figured you would keep the Avatar because it went back to before the final chapter.

I think the final cutscene with Chrom was spectacular. I was sure it was just a "This was part of the dream from the beginning" thing and it reverted to the beginning story-wise. The "Welcome back" was powerful to say the least. Probably the strongest part of the game, which is saying something.

I believe that this game is an excellent example of how videogames can be a powerful, sometimes even superior medium for telling a touching story. Interactivity, especially when there is a "this is your character" scenario makes you that much more invested, so moments like the ending can be even more hard hitting.

I had chills. 11/10.

IMHO AvatarxChrom makes the second option a lot more poignant when you see the cutscene at the very end of the credits; you know he's been looking all over for you, and now it's over, and you two can be together now

IMHO AvatarxChrom makes the second option a lot more poignant when you see the cutscene at the very end of the credits; you know he's been looking all over for you, and now it's over, and you two can be together now

I can imagine. That's why I purposely decided to leave that ending for later when I 100% complete the game. It'll be much more meaningful! ^_^

@MagicLeafy: No, my avatar had no supports with anyone, and they still come back. The avatar comes back no matter what

As for me, I chose the avatar finishing grima ending first, and then did the chrom finishing grima ending