Pre-Determined Battles and Growths?

DrPikachu

While playing (and getting trounced by misfortune), I noticed something potentially...disturbing.

Somehow, when two units fight, the battle result doesn't seem to change, even when redoing a map. If you get hit by a certain unit on your second encounter with it, you seem to always get hit if the same conditions happen again. If your character gets four certain growths upon leveling up, your unit will keep getting those same four stats. And if an archer gets a stupid random critical on your Avatar, well...you get the picture.

Perhaps it's just something I'm doing that's getting these bizarre results, and I should stop using the soft reset option. What do you guys think?

Are you on casual, and using battle saves?

Because if you just simply soft reset and reload your battle save, the RNG doesn't change like FE10.

Otherwise, the RNG resets on every chapter restart.

It's probably just your imagination.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I've tried both Casual and Classic, and got similar results.

I wonder if I'm cursed...or I should go and do everything I can to make sure those bad encounters don't happen...AND CHANGE FATE.

OH MY GOD, FIRE EMBLEM, YOU ARE DIABOLICAL.

Edited by DrPikachu

If it works like previous FE's the RNG doesn't generate a random number for every event. It generates a script of random numbers before the battle occurs. So say at the beginning of the battle you attack a guy, he counters, doubles, and and crits on the second hit. It uses 6 RN's If you reset and do the same attack each time the result will be the same because it's the same script numbers. If you were to attack the guy with an Archer and then attack him he would crit on the first hit. If you were to hit him with two archers and then your attack would crit instead(assuming you both had the same chance to crit). If you reload and do the same thing over and over again it'll always be the same thing. If you change the order in which you do things it'll change the results.

I'm fairly certain some battles in normal mode are fixed, like Marth not being able to crit and critting Grendel in the prologue. Outside of those, I have no idea.

I'm fairly certain some battles in normal mode are fixed, like Marth not being able to crit and critting Grendel in the prologue. Outside of those, I have no idea.

ASDFSJKLPFHEKSJOPFHESJOHFSLJK.

That's starting on turn 73.

Agh, this find may have thrown a wrench into my plans, but then again I'm sure "Woe be to the tactician who relies on plans surviving first blood on the battlefield" or something along those lines is one of the first things the various tactician characters of Fire Emblem were taught, way back in Tactician School.

So I just gotta adapt and move on, or take a little longer to adapt and drive myself crazy...Either/or.

Thanks, guys. Sorry for the trouble.