So I just finished the game

Blademaster!

I'm about to "blog" for a bit since I just finished the game and have a lot on my mind after playing it, but this is mostly just a review of the game (hopefully). Anyway...

It's been around eight years since I started playing Fire Emblem. The first game I played was FE7 (like most people obviously) after having first heard about the series through Super Smash Bros. Melee(surprising I know, etc.) and from seeing the game's reputation on Gamefaqs at the time. To put it quite simply, I was blown away. I'd never played an SRPG before, and everything about the games mechanics, system, story, and graphics were fascinating, and as far as I can remember the only experiences that have come close to being as entertaining and engaging for me was when I first played Earthbound 11 years ago, got into anime/manga about 6/7 years ago through series like Dragon Ball, FMA, Naruto, One Piece, Rosario+Vampire, Death Note, and Negima (likely my core starting series), playing Pokemon BW and BW2, and when I played Fate Stay/Night about a year ago. Though my interest in these series have taken a pretty heavy drop over the years, with the exception of Type-Moon works and Pokemon, Fire Emblem has stayed strong and close to my heart, hence why I still bother to show up here after all these years and make this topic. I went on to play the games in this order IIRC FE8->FE9->(from here it gets fuzzy)FE6->FE4->FE10->FE3->FE2->FE5(end fuzziness)->FE11->FE1->FE12 and now FE13, with each game having something about it that I enjoyed very much. And after having played FE13, I can still see that the series is still capable of pumping out something new and refreshing.

In playing FE13, I did the near impossible in this day and age of the internet: try and avoid as many spoilers as possible. The only things I knew going in were that:

Children from the future show up, Chrom is the MC, "Marth" is Chrom's daughter from the future (didn't know her name though), there was a dragon girl, and Tiki returns as a playable character, and the continent is the same from FE1.

This may seem like a lot, but at the same time it isn't. I knew nothing of the antagonists and majority of the story,

the fact that you go to the continent from FE2, the majority of the cast and their personalities, and frankly finding out that something called a Taguel exists blew my mind along with an incarnation of Anna being playable.

That being said, my overall impressions of the story and cast are a bit mixed. Fire Emblem, as silly and possibly retarded as this may sound, is in my mind one of Nintendo's more "mature" franchise, along with Metroid, Mother, and MAYBE Golden Sun (from what I can think of anyway), and this game continues that tradition from the "typical kiddy aimed at everyone nintendo game." As such, I was glad to see that the story didn't suffer from any real censorship (if I am wrong, please correct me as I really haven't been following anything about this game at all) as I have no problem with using arse instead of ass if it would please "mothers against drunken people who play grand theft auto and kill people because of it" and such. As far as the story goes in this regard, there really wasn't anything that stood out to me other than

Gangrel describing Emmeryn's exploded corpse on the ground

and I can't think/haven't seen enough of the character interactions to comment on that. Moving away from this silly maturity topic though, the actually story itself was pretty decent, though certainly not the best in the series. FE4 (which I'd say has the best story in the fou ranchise by far), FE9, and Book2/FE12 I'd say definitely had better stories, though the more climactic parts of FE13 are easily some of the best in the franchise regardless, especially because of the beautiful CG cut-scenes. The twist about

the future children

was probably the best part of the story and

Emmeryn's sacrifice was easily the best scene

but the whole Valmese arc was pretty bad and felt lacking on many fronts. The ending was also pretty lacking since it was just

everyone talks about how they will miss Robin and then character endings NOTE: I don't know how many endings are in the story, but the one I got was where Robin deals the final blow

but this is pretty typical of FE endings anyway along with the whole "Japan can't write good endings" stereotype.

As for the characters,

considering that it's really been about five years since IS had last thought up a new cast, the ones we got were pretty great. Looking at the character popularity poll found here I have to agree with most of that. Lucina was by far the best and most interesting character in the story (getting her single ending in the story made me tear up a bit), and Chrom was pretty great for a male lead and is probably my second favorite lord now after Ike. It'd be pretty neat to see both of them show up in the next smash as some kind of tag team character like pokemon trainer honesty. The My unit character was much more interesting this time around since he didn't have a one dimensional personality anymore, and the fact that you can pair them up with any character of the opposite gender was also pretty cool. As for side characters, from the male cast, Owain's character was a huge surprise. Having a Chunnibyou in the world of FE was hysterical and, along with his personal map sprite as a myrimidon, was genius on IS's part, and I'm glad his character was so well received. Gaius, Henry, Gregor, Brady, Virion, Gerome, and Vaike were the other male characters who really stood out for me, especially Gaius (that Taken reference was pretty funny) and Henry, who is probably my favorite male character. Lon'Qu, Inigo, Stahl and Fredrick were also pretty sweet too, but I didn't get enough of their supports. From the female cast, I can't really say much other than they were all pretty well balanced in appeal. Other than Tiki and Anna standing out amongst the cast for obvious reasons, Tharja, Olivia, Noire, Serva, Nowi, and Maribelle probably stood out the most for me. Tharja and Noire were both just really funny, while Olivia stood out, ironically, as being a dancer who didn't want to stand out and Serva seemed pretty tame for her archtype. Maribelle and Nowi were just interesting characters as well. Miriel, Cordelia, Cherche (I really liked how her Wyvern was named Minerva though), and Sumia were also interesting, but I can't think of much about them atm. Cynthia was kinda annoying though. As a last note, I'm kinda surprised that you could see the outline of Aversa's nipple in her character sprite. I can't think of anything more risque in a nintendo game than that, since even Samus was never naked.

Of course, any good video game needs good gameplay, and FE13 once again delivers on this aspect very well. Combining all the best features from past FE games (supports, forging, skills, world map, children, reclassing, branched promotions.) and executing them all almost flawlessly(other than including capturing and fatigue from FE5 and one other thing) and then adding in the whole dual strike/partnership system was once again genius on IS's part, showing that they're still capable of coming up with fresh and interesting ideas. Frankly, I'm really curious to see what they will do next to try and surpass these new features. The world map system was much better implemented than it was in FE8, but still not as good as the one from FE2. The new skill system/second seal mechanics also added in an entire new depth of gameplay to FE, making this game feel more like an actual rpg than any game before it with the amount/types of customization available too you, and was even able to be done in a somewhat balanced way, though the difficulty of the game is still a bit jumpy as a result. My only real complaints about the gameplay are that I didn't like the new inventory interface, nor how the barracks could give you conversations between characters who have no support options together, along with how you can just use Chrom to recruit everyone. I haven't really messed around with the online things offered in the game too much, but it looks like there's a ton of stuff to do and I'm looking forward to playing with it on my next run.

As far as other things go for the game, maybe it was just because of the speakers on my 3DS in general, but the music in this game didn't seem to stand out all that much. There were some tracks I enjoyed, but overall it was nothing special. I haven't played with the Japanese voices yet, but the English voice acting was really well done if you ask me. As far as the artwork and graphics goes, this is probably the second most visually appealing FE game after FE10. The character designs were all pretty well done for the most part(Aversa though...), and the sprites and battle CG were great. The CG cutscenes were also some of the best in the series.

Ultimately, this game is everything a hardcore FE fan like myself could want and more. Outside of all the great things listed above, the amount of references to other games in the series and DLC just help add to making the experience even more entertaining than ever. It is a very welcome addition to the FE family, and deserves every bit of praise it has gotten from the video game community (to my knowledge). IS really outdid them selves this time, and if this kind of innovation is implemented in all future Nintendo games, I can't wait to see what Pokemon XY have in store. In general, I'd give this a 9.5/10, with the music and at times weak story telling holding it back, but for an FE game, it's easily an 11/10; FE5 is really the only game in the franchise that truly sets itself apart from this one now.

Well, my review/tl;dr aside, I also had a couple of general questions:

1. Is there a list of all the references to past FE games? Like the maps/geography/lore, Stahl and Sully mentioning Cain and Abel, Cherche/Gerome naming his/her Wyvern Minerva, Nowi meeting Bantu, Panne mentioning the Laguz, Tiki, Priam, etc.

2. Grima isn't Medeus but some different dragon all together right?

3. Is there a good guide to this "inherent level" system/function?

1. Is there a list of all the references to past FE games? Like the maps/geography/lore, Stahl and Sully mentioning Cain and Abel, Cherche/Gerome naming his/her Wyvern Minerva, Nowi meeting Bantu, Panne mentioning the Laguz, Tiki, Priam, etc.

2. Grima isn't Medeus but some different dragon all together right?

3. Is there a good guide to this "inherent level" system/function?

1. I don't think there is... (It probably would've popped up by now, otherwise... and I would've known, since I come here pretty much every day...) But maybe in some Japanese site???

2. Grima isn't Medeus. However, I think in the Knights of Iris book, it mentions him being a Earth Dragon or something...

3. What exactly do you mean by "inherent level" system/function...?

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't finish the quote tag... those weren't my questions. I was answering them. Sorry. :P

Edited by fireemblemfan4ever

Having a Chunnibyou in the world of FE

????

It's the type of character Owain is.

Oh for goodness sake. Not everyone knows wapanese slang in these parts. Hell even AGRO, who translated FE12 didn't know about it.

If you're gonna do that, please put in notes in plain English... or at least provide the kanji. Roomaji is freaking... ugh.

I know I'm guilty of it sometimes too, but COME ON.

[/end weeb rant]

For those who want to have an explanation:

http://en.dic.pixiv.net/a/Chuunibyou

Edited by shadowofchaos

[/end weeb rant]

I couldn't really think of a good way to describe what a Chunnibyou is without it potentially resulting in a weeb rant from someone. Just calling it someone who has "delusions of grandeur" or a person who would go around using the Kamehame-ha everywhere they go is the best I can really think of.

Unless IS comes out and says they are the same, I believe they are two different dragons.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Grima_(character)

Well....it is said that Grima got slain by the first king of Ylisse who was one of Marth's descendents.

I would like to believe that Grima is Medeus as he has been behind both Akaneia and Judgral times. But right now... there is no further information of this pokemon dragon.

Edited by Katarina

That being said, my overall impressions of the story and cast are a bit mixed. Fire Emblem, as silly and possibly retarded as this may sound, is in my mind one of Nintendo's more "mature" franchise, along with Metroid, Mother, and MAYBE Golden Sun (from what I can think of anyway), and this game continues that tradition from the "typical kiddy aimed at everyone nintendo game." As such, I was glad to see that the story didn't suffer from any real censorship (if I am wrong, please correct me as I really haven't been following anything about this game at all) as I have no problem with using arse instead of ass if it would please "mothers against drunken people who play grand theft auto and kill people because of it" and such. As far as the story goes in this regard, there really wasn't anything that stood out to me other than

Gangrel describing Emmeryn's exploded corpse on the ground

and I can't think/haven't seen enough of the character interactions to comment on that. Moving away from this silly maturity topic though, the actually story itself was pretty decent, though certainly not the best in the series.

Dude, the game is focused on morality and the repercussions behind moral choices. It's been years since a Nintendo game has given me the choice between ending my character's life or leaving millions more to die in the future from my inability to follow through with it, rousing ending speech be damned. If you look too deep into it, you'll find that none of the sides are really too much better than the others (Chrom's war with Valm plays a tad too similarly to his father's crusades against Plegia for my comfort). I'd say this game is one of the more consistently well written in the series when you consider some of the deeper implications of the war.

Chrom's war with Valm is entirely defensive after Valm began a war against Ferox with the intention of moving onto Ylisse next...

Doesn't mean I have to feel good about the methods used, necessary as they were. The death count is enormous and from what I see in the dialogue no fucks are given when hundreds of thousands of people are slaughtered in Chapter 14's naval battle, enemy nation or not. It's regarded as a miracle (which it is), but the furthest to regret for setting thousands of humans on fire, the burnt survivors to drown in the ocean is relief. In a large arc like Valm I'd expect at least some reference of the weight of the decision and its repercussions. Otherwise unless it's Risen I'm slaughtering I'm never going to feel okay with that number of casualties.

This game in general trades out depth for breadth as far as its writing goes. It works because FE games never really had commendable depth on most points (blasphemy around here, I know) to lose. The Tellius games were a bit better about the horrors of war.

I thought maybe Grima was a reincarnation of Medeus just like

Avatar is a reincarnation of Grima

I find medeus' absence disturbing, especially since he promised he'd come back. I like that you brought up the idea of Chrom and Lucina as a tag-team member for SSB, as it fits with the whole double feature theme of the game.

I'd say this game is one of the more consistently well written in the series when you consider some of the deeper implications of the war.

I didn't really say that the story was bad except for the Valm arc. It's missing way too much on the characters and their interactions, especially in the case of Yen-Fay, hence why I'm not surprised at all he placed last in the popularity poll. I still ranked it 4th in the series...

Yes, I would say that the Valm arc was the weakest part of the story. We only ever hear about Yen'fay and he only appears for one chapter. The same almost goes for Walhart; I really feel that these two could have been much more developed. Even Excellus had more character development than Yen'fay, for god's sake.

I didn't really like the Valm arc until I actually got to lay siege on Valm castle, I was just glad it was over. It seemed very empty and I still can't get over 1 million soldiers. 10 000 sure, 100 000 a little big, but one million? In the medieval times? A little unrealistic in my perspective.

I didn't really like the Valm arc until I actually got to lay siege on Valm castle, I was just glad it was over. It seemed very empty and I still can't get over 1 million soldiers. 10 000 sure, 100 000 a little big, but one million? In the medieval times? A little unrealistic in my perspective.

To be fair, it was an entire continent's worth of soldiers.

To be fair, it was an entire continent's worth of soldiers.

I don't know if you've studied World History in school yet, but I'm fairly sure even the Crusades never involved million soldier battles.

Hell, how do you FIT a million people into one siege?

The Valm arc was definitely my least favorite part of the game. You'd have expected IS to develop it somewhat the same way they did the Daein invasion in Path of Radiance, but yeah.

Another issue I had with it is I was thinking to myself:

"So, Chrom and Avatar know the guy that tried to assassinate Emmeryn is now the ruler of the notoriously hostile country that worships an evil dragon. They also know that said evil dragon's worshipers are trying to bring him back to life.

"And yet...they're prancing around in a foreign country for no reason other than said foreign country attempting to invade them?"

Yes, I know Valm started a war with Ferox, but why in hell does it make sense to go on the offensive when you're outnumbered? It's like laying siege to a castle when you're outnumbered two to one. To me, it'd make more sense to play defense, construct fortifications, keep a close eye on your mortal enemy of a next door neighbor, and wait for favorable conditions to start negotiations.

I mean, Valm's strong point is cavalry, right? So wouldn't it make sense to build some walls, dig some stakes, whatever, and fight defensively? Or am I totally missing something that justified/made the invasion necessary?

I must've not been paying close enough attention. I thought it was just the entire army described as being one million strong, not just the part involved in laying siege to the castle.

Well, I thought Ex-whatever his name was said "a million soldiers" were coming to get Walhart, implying it was a million laying siege, but perhaps I'm wrong. A million in terms of the entire army would be a bit more realistic (although I didn't think you saw those types of numbers until World War I/II in history, but I very well could be wrong)

Edited by Swift sword

Yes, I would say that the Valm arc was the weakest part of the story. We only ever hear about Yen'fay and he only appears for one chapter. The same almost goes for Walhart; I really feel that these two could have been much more developed. Even Excellus had more character development than Yen'fay, for god's sake.

AFAICT, Yen'fay only exists for the purpose of giving character development to Say'ri (and arguably to Excellus).