about the bride and demon fighter classes

Dark Nocturne

does anyone eles think they gave the demon fighters tomes instead of brides to kinda divert from the girls use magic stereotype, but kinda doged a car and got hit by a train when they basically made brides ultra support and DFs ultra offense? thats just my thoughts on it. personally tho i cant wait for those classes to come out cuz, silly as the bride is its the only unmounted not armor knight spear user

Or they just felt tomes would suit Demon Fighters better and didn't care about the stereotype?

One thing about the classes is, distributing the six weapons between two classes, it had to get messy somewhere because of the three non-triangle weapons:

Bows/Tomes: give both to one class and the other has no ranged weapon type

Bows/Staffs: give both to one class and it only has one melee weapon type

Tomes/Staffs: give both to one class and it has all the magic while the other has none

So it makes sense that they did it this way. While combining them this way leaves Brides a bit limited in melee combat, it's honestly better than the alternatives.

Edited by Othin

I personally think the weapon types are excessive on the dlc classes. I think giving demon fighters axes+tomes and brides bows+staves or lances+bows would make them consistent with the rest of the classes, while still giving them unique combinations of weapon types.

Edited by Constable Reggie

does anyone eles think they gave the demon fighters tomes instead of brides to kinda divert from the girls use magic stereotype, but kinda doged a car and got hit by a train when they basically made brides ultra support and DFs ultra offense? thats just my thoughts on it. personally tho i cant wait for those classes to come out cuz, silly as the bride is its the only unmounted not armor knight spear user

It only made the classes even more sexist from a gameplay context. Given this weapon distribution, brides cannot do ranged magical attacks at all. And seriously, restore nearby units by 10HP? In this game with hyperinflated stats?

I guess the weapon distribution is only because of how the weapon types are ordered. Swords, lances, axes, bows, tomes, staves. Items 1, 3, 5 go to one class, and iotems 2, 4, 6 go to another. Simple as that.

I'm about 99% convinced "Magic Fighter" is the intended reading of the kanji there, given the high res cap and +10 resistance skill. It's a class built to fight mages, not demons.

I'm expecting that the official name of the class to be something along the lines of Mageslayer or Spellbreaker, to make the concept clear.

I dunno, I always got the impression the fighter was the demon. Kind of like how "Berserker" is literally "mad fighter" and not a person fighting mad people. They sort of look demonic to me, being all black and ninja-y X D

The resistance bonus, I can't explain though.

Actually, this reminds me of the analogous case of the Demon/Mage Dragon. Is the dragon demonic or sorcerous or both? FE7 thought it was a Demon Dragon, but FE11 thought it was a Mage Dragon. I think Nintendo of Japan calls it a Magic Dragon, but I wouldn't take their word for it...

I guess when an FE unit is called magical, it's in reference to its magical offense rather than resistance. I also think Demon Fighter is the intented meaning, since they're being powerful.

The Res+10 skill comes from the fact that in FE2, they have a high base Res. In FE2 (and FE1) units can't gain resistance from level ups, so promotion is the only way to get resistance - and the Demon Fighter class gives a LOT of resistance.

Does any of the Japanese flavor text for the class say anything about demonic power or the likes, though? Everything I've found indicates that the class description focuses on their high resistance.

As far as I can tell Demon Fighter is something that the fan community latched onto because it was the first valid translation of the kanji that they saw and it's a badass-sounding name, but not the meaning that the developers were aiming for.

Why would demon fighter be exclusive to the reasoning behind it's name when every other similar class (magefighter, thief fighter, etc) is self referential?

Actually, I don't think any other class name in Fe history refers to what they're fighting.

Edited by Constable Reggie

As far as I can tell Demon Fighter is something that the fan community latched onto because it was the first valid translation of the kanji that they saw and it's a badass-sounding name, but not the meaning that the developers were aiming for.

Actually, I think I coined the term "Demon Fighter" and I did think pretty hard about it!

I can't actually remember what name people used to use... Chances are it was based off the patch and had nothing to do with the original name, due to the space limitations.

I'm not aware of any flavour text (only FE13 has any, but it's literally mysterious), but The Complete (I dunno how official it is, given it got Valentia and Archanea's positions swapped around...) does say Mage/Demon Dragons are demonic, so I kind of went with Demon Fighter and Demon Dragon because they're both pretty similar conceptually.

I'm expecting that the official name of the class to be something along the lines of Mageslayer or Spellbreaker, to make the concept clear.

Maybe even Demon Slayer?