Any Monster Hunter Players

Xeroix

I could really never get into the Monster Hunter series, even with a friend. Someone mind explaining what makes the game so compelling to them?

Easy you run around killing monsters carve their corpse for material parts and make armor and weapons out of it and other useful items.

Team up with other hunters that own the game and pretty much repeat however the easier it gets the harder the challengebiggrin.gif

Edited by Xeroix

Hype harder for Wii U.

If you can even buy a Wii U, that is.

Definitely getting the 3DS version and probably a case.

Well i already have the original version for the Wii so i rather just the get 3ds since i don't have a Wii u

I could really never get into the Monster Hunter series, even with a friend. Someone mind explaining what makes the game so compelling to them?

I think it's probably not quite a game that could appeal to just anybody.

Most like the game because it is difficult and the bosses take a much longer time than bosses in other games. They have lots of health and they can do a ton of damage until you start upgrading your armour a bunch. Also you can't see their health which many people really like. There is also huge variety in what you can wear and many different weapons. Lots of people love messing around with the combinations and possibilities~

One reason why I really really like the game is because of how beautiful the landscapes are~ And the monsters look really awesome or pretty or even cute! ^~^

Many like how you have to actually try to aim at certain parts of the body (and how you aren't allowed to lock on) and how the way to effectively fight monsters is to learn their patterns. It takes lots of skill and when working with others people can work together strategically. It also takes skill and practice to learn how to use the weapons.

Though that's another thing people like about the game; rather than about competition, the game is about teamwork and cooperation. (though some people probably don't like that~)

There are some people out there, though, who don't care for some of those things. Maybe you're just one of those people? x3

I guess there are majorly people who don't like it and the people who do, but usually the people that do get suuuuuuuuuuuper super addicted because the games take a loooot of time, with grinding and material searching and armour/weapon forging.

There are some people out there, though, who don't care for some of those things. Maybe you're just one of those people? x3

I guess there are majorly people who don't like it and the people who do, but usually the people that do get suuuuuuuuuuuper super addicted because the games take a loooot of time, with grinding and material searching and armour/weapon forging.

I like the idea of a combat rpg with strategic hunting and whatnot, but I couldn't get past the combat. It feels awful in my opinion. The slow weapons are ridiculously slow, and the fast ones are ridiculously weak. The controls (at least on the psp) were also a bit weird and unfriendly, and there was a bunch of items you start off with, with most I having no idea how to use correctly and the game not telling me how to use them.

When is this actually coming out? My friend is a huge MH nut. I want to get into the series with this game but I swear I've been waiting for a least a year and a half since its release/announcement? in Japan. D:

*I've heard Monster Hunter is extremely hardcore about its rare items and crafting the perfect equipment. I play Pokemon so I should be fine :D

do u mean Portable 3rd

Um I think he just means Tri x3

I like the idea of a combat rpg with strategic hunting and whatnot, but I couldn't get past the combat. It feels awful in my opinion. The slow weapons are ridiculously slow, and the fast ones are ridiculously weak. The controls (at least on the psp) were also a bit weird and unfriendly, and there was a bunch of items you start off with, with most I having no idea how to use correctly and the game not telling me how to use them.

Ah, yes the slow weapons is why it takes skill to get to used them. Honestly I think it's super realistic that the super big weapons are slow.

I feel like the challenge of using the weapons is one of the best parts of the game =3

With practice people can master slow weapons or find ways to make the faster weapons more effective. When I started using the lance (in Tri) I was soooo horrible at it because it take so long to put away the weapon and you can only combo three stabs with it. But I learned how to be swift with it and as many others learn, it's quickest to do a 3-stab combo, then sidestep, then start it up again. I learned how to use the evasion skill so that I can be impervious almost 100% of the time and still get off a huuuuuge amount of hits in a row.

With weapons like great sword or hammer or hunting horn, people learn how to time their hits and even though they're really slow, they can charge up really strong hits and they add up a lot of damage.

So yeah I really really like that they make it challenging to use the weapons. It's not just a hack and slash and it's not too convenient. You get rewarded with patience and practice ^~^

But if people aren't patient enough then all they'll do is complain about it and never get better at it.

It's fine by me if you don't like the type of games that require effort to get good at using the weapons and whatnot because I can understand that kind of frustration. But I also like the challenge~ And it feels sooooo good when I learn new ways to use the weapon when otherwise it would be challenging to wield, or when I learn about the monsters I hunt as well =D

Oh yeah one difference though is I've played the game with Wii controls rather than PSP. I dunno how much more difficult one is than the other (but I've heard many many people complain about using the motion controls, but I turned off the swinging controls on my wiimote x3)

Edited by Freohr Datia

Unfortunately, I don't really want to or have the time to take some hours to learn a game if I"m not having some sort of fun while doing it even if it does pay off immensely (damn you Steam backlog). Maybe it was because it was the psp version.

Edited by Constable Reggie

I love Monster Hunters. Tri was my first one and i absolutely loved it. The hunts are just so fucking great... My favorite by far was the Jhen Mohran Hunt. LOAD THE CANNONS MEN! ATTACK! One of the most exciting things ever.

Edited by SlayerX

Nah, it's that way in like every installment. Tri is far more new player-friendly and easier I guess. It's not a game for everyone. The controls are pretty tight though, and it's pretty much entirely skill based. It does have a huge learning curve though. More like a learning wall I guess.

(fre the super big weapons aren't very realistic because of the fact that they exist at all)

Oh oh me me. Although I've only played Tri, I know I could jump right in MH3U. Awwww yeeeeah. I actually want to play the older ones to feel the unrefined mechanics slither around my body covering me in various fluids. By the way I use the Lance, I'll add the Gunlance when I get 3U.

I'm still working on Tri. I've been playing recently. It's hard to tell if I will make 50. If not, I guess I'll go after HR 30 qurpeco deviljho. Or I'll send an email to capcom a week before the servers go down asking for a boost to 50 so I can fight Deviljho for a week straight.

(I also want to kill Alatreon I guess)

Well anyway I'm 25 or 26 right now so I guess I'll be hitting HR and big time grinds soon.

It seems likely I'll only hit Caedeus and the offline once I'm done with online...maybe I could kill Rathalos offline without Cha Cha at this point, though. Not sure. I am getting better at using guard. I say this because autoguard doesn't seem to activate very much.

(fre the super big weapons aren't very realistic because of the fact that they exist at all)

(greatswords were made for killing dragons. I know this is true!)

Nah but seriously...I'm sorry if I'm asking something that is easily googled, but I can't find it atm. Do different weapons of the same type have different hitboxes? For instance, my lagia blade, which is what I do near everything with, seems to be longer than one of my other greatswords (ravager?) but I can't tell if this carries over into the game or not - possibly because I'm expecting that it does.

Also there's weird stuff. Like for me, Agnaktor feels easier than Lagiacrus, maybe because I'm not as good at underwater combat. Also, Diablos doesn't seem hard, even though I find Diablos and Barioth tough as nails. Diablos even feels easier than Barroth, besides it being hard to hit him...but I bet that if I fight him on my own, I won't be able to do enough damage to kill him even if I survive well. Other stuff too.

^This may be why it'd be better to do offline than online!

With weapons like great sword or hammer or hunting horn, people learn how to time their hits and even though they're really slow, they can charge up really strong hits and they add up a lot of damage.

I've found that I used to do that, but I wasn't good at reading when a monster would shift (or shift me with its movements, even if its center didn't move much). Now, when I'm hitting something like a tail or head, I just wallop as fast as possible, but if I get towards a center, I try and charge for strong hits.

I guess if I knew more about how damage worked I'd modulate accordingly. Another thing is that because the charge goes red->white->white->red (to me it feels that way), I

"feel" like the 4th hit is weaker than the first (recursion) so usually I try and get a 3ch rather than a 4ch. I have no idea which one is actually stronger, though, so sometimes I go for 4ch as well.

Also, there's the "special" hit which is a little more "umph" but takes more time to recover from that I have no idea when to activate, or whether it makes sense to.

Edited by Mouse

I'm still working on Tri. I've been playing recently. It's hard to tell if I will make 50. If not, I guess I'll go after HR 30 qurpeco deviljho. Or I'll send an email to capcom a week before the servers go down asking for a boost to 50 so I can fight Deviljho for a week straight.

(I also want to kill Alatreon I guess)

Well anyway I'm 25 or 26 right now so I guess I'll be hitting HR and big time grinds soon.

It seems likely I'll only hit Caedeus and the offline once I'm done with online...maybe I could kill Rathalos offline without Cha Cha at this point, though. Not sure. I am getting better at using guard. I say this because autoguard doesn't seem to activate very much.

(greatswords were made for killing dragons. I know this is true!)

Nah but seriously...I'm sorry if I'm asking something that is easily googled, but I can't find it atm. Do different weapons of the same type have different hitboxes? For instance, my lagia blade, which is what I do near everything with, seems to be longer than one of my other greatswords (ravager?) but I can't tell if this carries over into the game or not - possibly because I'm expecting that it does.

I kinda get that feeling too, like, my regular GS, that upgraded Rust GS, seems to have a longer reach then the Ravager. Maybe it's just a small bonus thing Capcom did.

Ceadeus isn't really that difficult, in all honesty. I went in it with Rarity 5 Rathian armor, and I got through it without too much trouble. You really just need a weapon with good a Thunder or Dragon score, and possibly armor with a high water resistance, and you're more or less set. You'd just have to guard and dodge correctly.

If you want, I could possibly help you. I'm pretty much free for the rest of the day, and I'm a rank 52 hunter. Sure, I'm not great, but I'll help get the job done.