Shiida's name

Jotari

Kah-ee-dah is how I used to pronounce it...

I guess I'll just show myself out, then.

Oh god I just realized how much of a necro this is.

modsimsorry

Edited by Rollertoaster

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less if her name was Caeda, Sheeda, Shiida, or Poo-Poo Shitface.

Lol. Queen Poo-Poo of Altea! ...her marrying Marth is canon, right? But seriously that made me literally lol.

On topic...I never gave it much thought. But I do agree that there needs to be the same translation for America and Europe.

EDIT - ...Did I just jump on the necroing bandwagon -_-

Edited by Dragoncat

Yeah, I agree. All anger and rage should be directed to Navarre vs Nabarl instead!

I will admit, I prefer Navarre. Nabarl feels like saying "blahhhhh" to me. I'm having a hard time describing it. Not a big deal either way.

...whoops lol.

-runs away from necro bandwagon

Edited by L95

Well since this has been revived anyway...

I can't comprehend anyone who pronounces Caeda any way besides 'kɑɪdɑ , it just makes zero sense to me why you would randomly throw your own pronunciation on a name that is clearly spelled like it came from Latin origins. I mean you *could* say "See-da" bearing in mind the origin of the name and then adapting it to your own tongue, but the official pronunciation of it will always remain the Latin one.

"Seize-er" is an incorrect way of saying Caesar, but we still say it because I guess it sounds easier for us. Regardless we acknowledge this as an incorrect pronunciation and that since it is a Latin name, the true way to pronounce it is kai- sar (not kaizer, also incorrect, learn the Latin alphabet if that is hard for you) and if you're going to make up any name that is written similarly to Caesar you have to acknowledge its actual pronunciation. Hence, Caeda is apparently supposed to be based on "kai-da," even though the Japanese name is Shiida. If they wanted to create a name that sounded like that, they should've agreed on Sheeda or Seeda, because traducing "see" into "cae" is just grossly incorrect. "Cae" does NOT sound like "see" in any official sense. We might as well spell it "Fhydo" and still say it sounds like "See-da" just because we pronounce those particular letters that we borrowed from an assortment of other languages like that. We English speakers however do not naturally pronounce "cae" as "see," and only do so when relating it to the common mispronunciation of Caesar's name.

Caeda makes about as much sense for her name as Fhydo. I'm pronouncing both the same way, with different language roots of course. And if most people can't, why change it from just Seeda?

If you wanna see proof of this look at Anacybele's post, she got "Say-da" out of it because to her, "ae" sounds like "ay". So again, why the ridiculous spelling if it's gonna make everyone say it differently?

Edited by That Person's Name

Caeda makes about as much sense for her name as Fhydo. I'm pronouncing both the same way, with different language roots of course. And if most people can't, why change it from just Seeda?

Because a C to me just looks more feminine?

[/opinions]

Maybe that could have a factor in the decision of localization.

Keep in mind, that they don't have TIME to screw around with names too much when there's an entire script.

It isn't a fan translation... they have deadlines.

They don't have time to analyze it to the depth you were, and to me, on the surface, I would have thought of "Caesar" and that incorrect pronunciation right off the bat.

Just like Ray (Mageknight404) said, people are being too nitpicky.

Japan isn't exactly known for making sense with foreign sounding katakana names.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I agree it's not that important and you get weird things out of transliterations, but a lot those can be solved by just keeping it simple and spelling it like it sounds in English despite how it looks. I wanna know whose idea was it to arbitrarily take the cae in Caesar and throw it in her name expecting everyone to know it was intended to be pronounced "see." Because it sure doesn't sound like that to me, and to some people it even sounds like "say." Whoever thought it was a good idea to change it to Caeda was just plain wrong and unintentionally made her name sound nothing like her actual Japanese name. However, since a lot of names are intentionally changed anyway, it might as well be fine. Just as long as they know it should be pronounced the Latin way and is in fact not true to the Japanese pronunciation. In the end it most likely is a mistake.

Notice how the European English spelling is Sheda. This is pronounced exactly as intended with no confusion, because the folks over in England know enough Latin to not make glaring screw ups like that. To anyone exposed to Latin languages the American spelling is just puzzling. Simpler is always better.

I can't comprehend anyone who pronounces Caeda any way besides 'kɑɪdɑ , it just makes zero sense to me why you would randomly throw your own pronunciation on a name that is clearly spelled like it came from Latin origins. I mean you *could* say "See-da" bearing in mind the origin of the name and then adapting it to your own tongue, but the official pronunciation of it will always remain the Latin one.

That's bunk. The only "official" way of pronouncing a word is according to the rules of the language it's being spoken in. Caesar might be pronounced "kai-sar" in Latin, but it's pronounced "see-zer" in English, "chay-sar" in Italian, and so on. Likewise, the names Charles and Vincent are spelled the same way in French as they are in English, but are pronounced completely different according to the language they're spoken in.

You have unraveled the devious plot set up by the North American localization team: a Japanese name translated into English pronounced like Latin. A brilliant scheme. I want to throw more languages into the mix.

But I have to agree that especially Caeda wasn't a very good translation, seeing as nobody really knows how to pronounce it. To be honest, I think neither Caeda nor Shiida was a very good translation. I'll forever stick with Sheeda.

You could argue the official way to pronounce "Caesar" is "seize-er". That's fine.

But you can't say that the official way to pronounce the phoneme "cae" is "see." That's just due to the nature of our weird language. In other languages a letter or group of letters always sounds the same. In ours it doesn't. That's like me telling you "ea" is always pronounced as in "wheat." But you don't pronounce "thread" or "bread" like that. There's many other examples but you're aware of this.

So because it's English "cae" could have any pronunciation, there's no official way to pronounce that. If you based the official pronunciation of those three letters based on 1 word as the American translators have done you're going to have problems in English. Just because "Caesar" is one of the few English words you know that has those three letters together does not mean it's an official spelling of that phoneme.

Using one of your examples, you gave the name Charles. So am I to assume "char" should always be pronounced as in Charles? Then I've been saying the name "Charlene" wrong this whole time.

Again I'll refer back to the British spelling of the name. They got it right. We all know they're a bunch of pedants anyway.

Hah, that's exactly what I'm saying Hattusili :D It's Sheeda to me too.

Edit: I'd also like to correct you on your Italian, it's "Cesare" in Italian I believe, which is pronounced "cheh-za-re."

Notice how the European English spelling is Sheda. This is pronounced exactly as intended with no confusion, because the folks over in England know enough Latin to not make glaring screw ups like that. To anyone exposed to Latin languages the American spelling is just puzzling. Simpler is always better.

I actually have to correct you on the European translation of the name: it's Shiida, not Sheda. Sheda was her name in the anime.

Edited by Hattusili I

Well since this has been revived anyway...

"Seize-er" is an incorrect way of saying Caesar, but we still say it because I guess it sounds easier for us. Regardless we acknowledge this as an incorrect pronunciation and that since it is a Latin name, the true way to pronounce it is kai- sar (not kaizer, also incorrect, learn the Latin alphabet if that is hard for you) and if you're going to make up any name that is written similarly to Caesar you have to acknowledge its actual pronunciation. Hence, Caeda is apparently supposed to be based on "kai-da," even though the Japanese name is Shiida. If they wanted to create a name that sounded like that, they should've agreed on Sheeda or Seeda, because traducing "see" into "cae" is just grossly incorrect. "Cae" does NOT sound like "see" in any official sense. We might as well spell it "Fhydo" and still say it sounds like "See-da" just because we pronounce those particular letters that we borrowed from an assortment of other languages like that. We English speakers however do not naturally pronounce "cae" as "see," and only do so when relating it to the common mispronunciation of Caesar's name.

If you wanna see proof of this look at Anacybele's post, she got "Say-da" out of it because to her, "ae" sounds like "ay". So again, why the ridiculous spelling if it's gonna make everyone say it differently?

yes i agree it is ridiculous that we take the cae in caeda, a latin-inspired name, and pronounce it like the cae in caesar, a latin-inspired word

EDIT: i would like to further ask you your opinion on the word irregardless

EDIT2: but seriously though, passive-aggressiveness aside, since when did any english-speaking person give half a fuck about how anything was "supposed" to be pronounced ever

Edited by Integrity

thank you! i'm glad people are aware of how arbitrary and unclear a spelling it is. If they had just spelled it "Sheeda" we wouldn't be thinking of pronouncing it with a k all the time. If only the American translators knew better than to spell it like that :awesome: but you're right about it being sad that few people look into this stuff anymore, but to be fair it's always been like that with English and is in a way the beauty of our ever changing language.

irregardless is a funny word that my grandpa uses a lot :Kappa:

There's not going to be a clear wictor in this debate any time soon. It seems both sides are full of wigor and have walid points.

(I'll see myself out wia my willa)

wulwa

This is a strange topic. It's one thing to argue about spelling of a name, but the pronunciation? How many people actually say any of these names out loud, in real conversations with actual people?

By the way, it's "SAY-dah". Taste the rainbow.

Not the topic at all. The pronunciation is very clear for both her intended name and her American spelling: her actual name is pronounced shi-da, her American name is pronounced kai-da. It's rather weird they would just change the pronunciation like that though, why not stick with the Japanese pronunciation? Like Integrity said, we naturally pronounce Caeda the same way we would pronounce Caesar, with a hard k followed by an ai, as they are both Latin inspired. Thinking that Caeda=Seeda is such a weird train of thought.

Like Integrity said, we naturally pronounce Caeda the same way we would pronounce Caesar, with a hard k followed by an ai, as they are both Latin inspired. Thinking that Caeda=Seeda is such a weird train of thought.

He also said the following:

since when did any english-speaking person give half a fuck about how anything was "supposed" to be pronounced ever

This thread reminds me of the FE12 translation thread.

Just pronounce it "Vergil" and let's be done with this.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Not the topic at all.

Sure, and my avatar isn't an animated GIF of a dog.

The pronunciation is very clear for both her intended name and her American spelling: her actual name is pronounced shi-da, her American name is pronounced kai-da. It's rather weird they would just change the pronunciation like that though, why not stick with the Japanese pronunciation? Like Integrity said, we naturally pronounce Caeda the same way we would pronounce Caesar, with a hard k followed by an ai, as they are both Latin inspired. Thinking that Caeda=Seeda is such a weird train of thought.

It's as clear as mud, especially when it comes to something as personal as a given name. Ask me about the time that I almost got slugged by a guy named "Stefan" because I pronounced his name "ste-FON".

As I've been saying, the pronunciation doesn't matter at all; you can pronounce it however you want as people have been doing due to the weirdness of the spelling, Integ already said exactly what I've been saying. No one cares about pronunciation. BUT the spelling does matter, and the American spelling is just plain strange. It was a weird decision on the translators part to be so arbitrary. I'm just telling facts man, there's really no quarrel over it: "Caeda" as a transliteration for the name "Shiida" is just about the weirdest way to go about adapting a name. It's as if I were to take the name Stefan, and in translating it to Japanese I randomly take the French spelling of the name so that it now looks like Stephane yet tell people to pronounce it how it was originally. Why the random French influence? Why confuse people with extra letters borrowed from a culture that doesn't even have anything to do with it? Does it make sense now? Hopefully that makes it clear.

Let's make up yet another spelling.

Z = s sound in Spanish right?

Zituh.

Boom. A new spelling of her name. Perfectly valid but totally arbitrary. You can pronounce it however you want, but it's supposed to be based off her Japanese name Shiida.

Whether you think "Zituh," Caeda," or "Asdfjkec" are all okay translations of her name come down to opinion however and I'll leave it at that. I have no opinions about this entire subject, just facts intended to educate. If you guys have opinions on the matter that's appreciated but all I'm doing is stating what's there. Caeda IS arbitrary and that's my whole point.

If there's a debate going on here, can someone explain it to me? I really don't know what I've said up to this point that was opinionated, all I've been doing this whole time is explaining the basics of language. Heck maybe I should be a language teacher :O

I feel like you aren't really reading what I am writing; which is sort of weird when you consider that I haven't authored a single post in this thread that's longer than four sentences.

There is no "clear" pronunciation for the American spelling. I am not sure how someone could think that there's some kind of bright line in the sand, since we can't even agree on how to pronounce "route", which is not even a person's name.

BUT the spelling does matter, and the American spelling is just plain strange.

Welcome to America. But it's not like there is any good reason to do an accurate transliteration: it's something that only certain people care about, where said people are a fraction of a percent of a crumb of the loaf of bread that represents the people who have played this game.

It's clear in that it obviously borrows from Latin influence, but it's open to interpretation in that in English you can really pronounce any word however you want so long as the person listening understands. So I'd go as far as to say that while it doesn't matter, it is clear... if that makes sense. If I saw the name Caeda anywhere else I'd immediately assume Latin and pronounce it that way, however I won't sue or even correct someone for saying SAY-duh. We all know there are weirder names here in Murca.

But yeah honestly it only matters to a few people but I thought that since I'm on of those people I might as well post what I know about language on a public topic about it to try and share my knowledge. Learning is fun :awesome: