Breaking The Fourth Wall

Laurent

I have noticed how, in EXPonential Growth, Cordelia breaks the fourth wall by referring to the risen as "training dummies", relating to the ability of the player (that's you) to level up characters faster, without as much risk.

My question is whether or not other characters say something similar that also seems to "break the fourth wall", either in the main quest (including support conversations) or in any of the sidequest/DLC chapters?

Full Quote:

Cordelia: "Interesting... These dead things would

make exceptional training dummies.

Though personally, I'd prefer to better

myself using more challenging methods.

But if my lord needs faster results,

I am certainly happy to oblige."

I have noticed how, in EXPonential Growth, Cordelia breaks the fourth wall by referring to the risen as "training dummies", relating to the ability of the player (that's you) to level up characters faster, without as much risk.

My question is whether or not other characters say something similar that also seems to "break the fourth wall", either in the main quest (including support conversations) or in any of the sidequest/DLC chapters?

Full Quote:

Cordelia: "Interesting... These dead things would

make exceptional training dummies.

Though personally, I'd prefer to better

myself using more challenging methods.

But if my lord needs faster results,

I am certainly happy to oblige."

Honestly, I wouldn't say that is breaking the fourth wall, although it is pretty close. My Unit and a few others say things that almost break the fourth wall.

"Fighting vegetarian zombies ought to provide an interesting experience... ...Experience? Wait, could that be the bonus reward she was talking about?"

What is said by the Avatar there COULD be breaking the fourth wall by referring to the experience that units receive upon the defeat of the Risen, but for all we know, the Avatar could be referring to the actual experience of fighting something so unique. Considering the context and purpose of the DLC, it would be easy to think that the Avatar, and a few others, such as Cordelia, are breaking the fourth wall, but really, they are neatly skirting around the concept. I don't think that I've seen a comment from any of the characters that clearly break the fourth wall.

I think I might have seen at least one comment that breaks the fourth wall, but I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to look for it. Technically, wouldn't all the blatant references to previous FE games in some characters comments be seen as breaking the fourth wall?

Characters don't break the 4th wall in this chapter, but Vincent and Victor DEFINATELY shatter it in The Golden Gaffe. "If at first you don't suceed, retry the level and try again!" or something.

Also, Tharja's 0-1 stat up quote seems to be addressing the player directly. "You'd better not hold this against me..."

I think I might have seen at least one comment that breaks the fourth wall, but I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to look for it. Technically, wouldn't all the blatant references to previous FE games in some characters comments be seen as breaking the fourth wall?

Not necessarily. The Outrealm Gate seems to lazily connect all other Fire Emblems with Awakening. Old Hubba says, "Each card contains a record of one of history's most valiant and glorious heroes." Whose history? Apparently, the Outrealm Gate seems to have all of the histories of the various Fire Emblems together, so Owain yelling, "SACRED STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONES!!!" and the like isn't really breaking the fourth wall, even if the Outrealm Gate wasn't there for a convenient excuse to blend the games together. Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn are things that I could totally see Owain shouting anyways, the titles are flashy enough for me to believe he'd say them or name something after them just for the sake of seeming heroic, even if FE 8 or 10 weren't named that. Parion being in the game and apparently being related to Ike doesn't help either. Really, all of the references are just shoutouts for fans. I don't recall any of them DIRECTLY breaking the fourth wall.

As for Vincent and Victor in The Golden Gaffe...ya got me there.

I don't think Vincent and Victor break the fourth wall there. They talk about how the Risen are undead and will return, so they can always try again later, IIRC. It's obviously pointing out that the player can replay the stage, but they aren't talking about game mechanics directly.

I don't think Vincent and Victor break the fourth wall there. They talk about how the Risen are undead and will return, so they can always try again later, IIRC. It's obviously pointing out that the player can replay the stage, but they aren't talking about game mechanics directly.

As Big Klingy quoted, one of them says that you can always restart the LEVEL and try again. Not only did they refer to the level, as in the map that you just played on, which could be a mechanic in of itself, but how would you go about restarting a scenario such as that realistically? Are they honestly expecting the risen to steal an ungodly amount of gold again? And if so, wouldn't they just have more guards stationed to protect the gold in a more secure location? Where would all of that gold be coming from? Sure does seem like breaking the fourth wall to me, having a character in a form of media say that YOU, an ambiguous pronoun that could be directed at ANYONE other than the speaker, could repeat such a unique happening that was unlikely to happen in the first place, for a better outcome.

... How is someone referring to a slow-shambling zombie that they're fighting as a "Training dummy" breaking the fourth wall?

Training dummies are actual things used to get better at fighting.

If you're doing the chapter in the latter parts of the game, Chrom and Friends have been fighting the undead for QUITE a long time. And as such, have gotten pretty good at it. Therefore, it wouldn't be ridiculous to call a weak zombie a "training dummy."

Edited by Zarb

As Big Klingy quoted, one of them says that you can always restart the LEVEL and try again.

Victor says that there are many Risens in the mansion and they likely could try again and then Vincent quotes his mother about trying levels again after losing. He isn't talking directly to the player (who didn't "lose" the stage anyway - the only one who lost there were the bandits themselves). That's why I don't think he's quite breaking the fourth wall.

Are they honestly expecting the risen to steal an ungodly amount of gold again?

It's said in the beginning of the chapter that the Risen in that mansion are known for carrying gold, even if it doesn't make sense.

Edited by NeonZ

Even if he is quoting something that his mother said, he still refers to restarting a level in hopes for a better result. Perhaps they could be talking about a level, as in a floor in the mansion, but to the player, it obviously means the level that they just played. I geuss it just depends on how one person looks at it, but what they're saying is really just a clever nod to the player, while still talking about the situation at hand. Perhaps a more subtle fourth wall breaking.

I think Owain and Cynthia sorta break the fourth wall when they get bad levels. They refer to their "growth" and whatnot. Obviously not a true out-of-character moment, especially for those two, but it's definitely meant as a wink and a nod.

Victor

Oy now, don't be such a mug! I knows 'ow to replace yer coin. We just go in this 'ere mansion, kill all them Risen, nick their gold, and Bob's yer uncle!

Vincent

Blimey, Vic! You really fink them dead blokes are carryin' 'round cash? It don't make no sense.

Victor

Nuffin' make sense 'ere, mate, so don't try to suss it out. Like, 'ow'd we get 'ere, like? And 'ow'd we get such trig 'aircuts? You just gots to roll wif it.

Victor

Blimey, Vince! If that ain't insult to injury! Still, I fink you gots another chance. Them shamblin' types is undead, yeah? Which means this mansion's still stuffed to the gills what wiv Risen! If you're of a mind to come back'n try again, I wager you could!

Vincent

It's like me dear ol' mum used to say, "What if at first ya don't succeed... Retry the level and don't louse it up this time, ya daft arse!"

The entirety of The Golden Gaffe script is hilarious. xD But yeah, uh, the script-writers didn't even attempt to explain it (which results in hilarity) therefore it really seems like a blatant breach in the fourth wall.

Victor's explanation about the "undead" is reasonable. The Risen will likely steal gold again. But, like TheGreatBigBoss said, there would probably be more guards stationed to protect the gold, and the 'bodies' of the Risen wouldn't just be left--wait, they poof in a cloud of purple smoke. WAIT. WHERE DO THEY COME FROM IN THE FIRST PLACE?! Ok, nevermind. >_>

"Retry the level and don't louse it up this time" is such an obvious case of breaking the fourth wall. Retry the level? What level? There are "levels" in Ylisse?

I've seen several characters sidle along the Fourth Wall but not actually break it. In EXPonential Growth, I think I remember Frederick stating that since these monsters provide lots of experience they should be better used to strengthen characters who need the experience; not him, a Pre-promoted unit. While it certainly makes sense in universe, its also a semi subtle hint to the player to field lower level units who need experience rather than him (though at the I actually fielded him he really needed to catch up with levels; I had only been using him to S Support and guard Sumia).

Edited by Silver Lightning

"Retry the level and don't louse it up this time" is such an obvious case of breaking the fourth wall. Retry the level? What level? There are "levels" in Ylisse?

On the other hand, it's pretty self aware: they know exactly what you're going to do with the gold pack, and it's just not going to fit with the rest of the game.

Chrom says it best:

What? Why would anyone...? That doesn't even make sense! ...Fine. FINE. We'll kill all the damn creatures for you. All right?

Right. Because we can save their precious vegetables... Vegetables they somehow grow amidst stony ruins... Vegetables threatened by...vegetarian...monsters...

I think the fact that people use "arse" in this game is somewhat dancing ON the wall. Internet-age slang in old times? Pfft.

Arse isn't internet-age slang. Arse is old times talk/British talk. You've got yourself reversed.

Edited by Kesmar

What ''break the 4th wall'' means ?

It's a theater term. In theater, the stage has three walls (the two sides of the stage and the backstage) and an invisible "fourth" wall, which is the area in front of the stage where the audience sits. Obviously, you can't put a real wall or set between the audience and the actors, so actors are trained to tune the audience out and pretend they don't exist.

"Breaking the fourth wall" is when an actor acknowledges the audience's existence. Despite some people saying it's a sign of poor acting, it's been a famous technique among playwrights for centuries. Shakespeare used it at times with asides and jokes, and modern playwrights have employed everything from characters addressing the audience, to characters acknowledging they're in a play, to characters actually interacting with or going out into the audience.

In other words, in a video game like FEA, the fourth wall is broken when the characters acknowledge that they are in a video game. Victor and Vincent mentioning "retry the level" in the Golden Gaffe is an example of this, as they're directly acknowledging that the map was a level in a video game. The Avatar saying he/she can "sense" information about the battlefield in the Prologue is similar; it's given a story explanation in-universe, but it's a wink and a nod to the tactical information the player has. Owain's low-stat joke about sinister forces conspiring to hinder his growth is a similar half-nod to the concept of being RNG-screwed.

It's a theater term. In theater, the stage has three walls (the two sides of the stage and the backstage) and an invisible "fourth" wall, which is the area in front of the stage where the audience sits. Obviously, you can't put a real wall or set between the audience and the actors, so actors are trained to tune the audience out and pretend they don't exist.

"Breaking the fourth wall" is when an actor acknowledges the audience's existence. Despite some people saying it's a sign of poor acting, it's been a famous technique among playwrights for centuries. Shakespeare used it at times with asides and jokes, and modern playwrights have employed everything from characters addressing the audience, to characters acknowledging they're in a play, to characters actually interacting with or going out into the audience.

In other words, in a video game like FEA, the fourth wall is broken when the characters acknowledge that they are in a video game. Victor and Vincent mentioning "retry the level" in the Golden Gaffe is an example of this, as they're directly acknowledging that the map was a level in a video game. The Avatar saying he/she can "sense" information about the battlefield in the Prologue is similar; it's given a story explanation in-universe, but it's a wink and a nod to the tactical information the player has. Owain's low-stat joke about sinister forces conspiring to hinder his growth is a similar half-nod to the concept of being RNG-screwed.

That is probably the best explanation of "breaking the fourth wall" that I've ever seen.

Edited by MagicLeafy