Breaking The Fourth Wall

Laurent

Arse isn't internet-age slang. Arse is old times talk/British talk. You've got yourself reversed.

Arse is still used in British slang, as well. North Americans are the ones who changed the slang to ass.

Which begs the question: why does a localization use foreign slang/wording? Le sigh... This is for North Americans, and North Americans say "ass" rather than "arse." So, what, the PAL version is going to use "ass" instead of "arse"?

Hell, I'm used to people saying "arse" when they're trying to be less harsh than just flat out saying "ass." ._.; We are ass backwards, apparently! (Though this 'less harsh' bullcrap I'm spouting might be prairie-bumpkin-speak...)

Sooo... How about that fourth wall breaking, huh? It's very........um......fourth-wall-breaking-like!

... Btw, how do the characters even know they've "leveled up" in the first place? ._. The whole quotes-during-level-ups is a 'SCREW THE FOURTH WALL' mass hysteria...thing...In my opinion...

Which begs the question: why does a localization use foreign slang/wording? Le sigh... This is for North Americans, and North Americans say "ass" rather than "arse." So, what, the PAL version is going to use "ass" instead of "arse"?

Hell, I'm used to people saying "arse" when they're trying to be less harsh than just flat out saying "ass." ._.; We are ass backwards, apparently! (Though this 'less harsh' bullcrap I'm spouting might be prairie-bumpkin-speak...)

Because the game still takes place in the times were "arse" was the word used. It's not a matter of what is being used where today, but rather, what was used before.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I think the fact that people use "arse" in this game is somewhat dancing ON the wall. Internet-age slang in old times? Pfft.

Interesting. As an American I did not know that. I thought it was invented in more recent times.

lol. Yeah. Arse is not internet slang. I think that slang dates back to the middle ages.

I dont really think anyone breaks the fourth wall. Leaning on it? Yeah theres quite a bit of that. Some peeps' level up quotes, some of the things they say in the DLC, the Avatar telling Chrom about a game mechanic...thats mostly just leaning on the fourth wall. Breaking it would mean that a character addresses the player directly. But the DLC is supposed to be like that though. All those mythology gags, continuity funzies, Old Hubba's existence...its all for the lulz and stuff. If actual fourth wall shattering happens there, so what. lol!

Because the game still takes place in the times were "arse" was the word used. It's not a matter of what is being used where today, but rather, what was used before.

Then how do you explain "welp"? D: The earliest known recorded instance of it was...like...1800's? ...Though of course, that's only what is known about what is written...

Edited by Tsamimi

Then how do you explain "welp"? D: The earliest known recorded instance of it was...like...1800's? ...Though of course, that's only what is known about what is written...

In this case, how's the word "welp" being used? One known meaning I found is to refer to the young of certain animals.

In this case, how's the word "welp" being used? One known meaning I found is to refer to the young of certain animals.

Or does she mean "whelp" instead of "welp"? As far as I know, the latter is more of a slurred speech pattern than it is slang.

Edited by Alg

If you take Frederick into EXPonential growth, he makes a vague breaking the 4th wall reference to him being a Jeigan/Oifey archetype, regardless if you've already reclassed him to a base class or not. His exact quote is:

'An unusual enemy like this ought to yield ample experience. Perhaps these foes should be left to units with more room to grow than me. But that doesn't mean I'll hold back if they stand in my way!

Normally I'd just think it was him referencing him being a senior knight, but he actually says the word 'units' in his quote so yeah, he's definitely breaking the fourth wall there.

The entirety of The Golden Gaffe script is hilarious. xD But yeah, uh, the script-writers didn't even attempt to explain it (which results in hilarity) therefore it really seems like a blatant breach in the fourth wall.

Victor's explanation about the "undead" is reasonable. The Risen will likely steal gold again. But, like TheGreatBigBoss said, there would probably be more guards stationed to protect the gold, and the 'bodies' of the Risen wouldn't just be left--wait, they poof in a cloud of purple smoke. WAIT. WHERE DO THEY COME FROM IN THE FIRST PLACE?! Ok, nevermind. >_>

"Retry the level and don't louse it up this time" is such an obvious case of breaking the fourth wall. Retry the level? What level? There are "levels" in Ylisse?

Were you not listening in chapter 13? Here's the dialogue:

"Ugh, where did all these risen come from?" Chrom asks (A retorical question)

"Well, when a daddy and a mommy zombie love each ot-" Henry answers.

"Ok, ok. I get it." Chrom replies.

(Of course, Henry was using sarcasm, and so am I. They were once people that died, so they don't reproduce themselves, they are harnessed from the dead by Grima)

I've noticed "welp" in a few places throughout the game. The first place was in Donnel/Kellam's C support.

Kellam

*Sigh* Welp, guess I'd better get to work…

...Wouldn't you know it, my memory failed me...about the 1800's thing. It's actually 1946. My source is this site. (I wouldn't know if this site is reliable or not, just saying.)

While Dumb and Dumber could have brought the usage to a wider audience, academic studies acknowledged the word as early as 1946. Dwight Bolinger addresses it that year in an essay for American Speech entitled "Thoughts on 'Yep' and 'Nope.'"

If the speaker is American, and will observe himself when he utters well as a sign of dismissal of some discussion or activity (as in 'Well'—pause—'what do we do next?'), he will often discover that he has used welp, with unfinished p. Like other actions, this gesture of finality may become a mannerism. At a recent graduation one of the officiating deans managed it conspicuously, on turning to go backstage, as from a job dutifully done, after having recited his list of candidates.

-shrugs- It really isn't a "word" that would have been in existence in the supposed time period that Awakening takes place in, yet it's used in the dialogue. Even if "arse" would have been used in the supposed time period, what about "welp"?

"Welp" doesn't seem like a real word, to me. ...But I don't mind yep/yup and nope. *sigh*

What a foolish thing to get worked up about... -smacks self-

It's a theater term. In theater, the stage has three walls (the two sides of the stage and the backstage) and an invisible "fourth" wall, which is the area in front of the stage where the audience sits. Obviously, you can't put a real wall or set between the audience and the actors, so actors are trained to tune the audience out and pretend they don't exist.

"Breaking the fourth wall" is when an actor acknowledges the audience's existence. Despite some people saying it's a sign of poor acting, it's been a famous technique among playwrights for centuries. Shakespeare used it at times with asides and jokes, and modern playwrights have employed everything from characters addressing the audience, to characters acknowledging they're in a play, to characters actually interacting with or going out into the audience.

In other words, in a video game like FEA, the fourth wall is broken when the characters acknowledge that they are in a video game. Victor and Vincent mentioning "retry the level" in the Golden Gaffe is an example of this, as they're directly acknowledging that the map was a level in a video game. The Avatar saying he/she can "sense" information about the battlefield in the Prologue is similar; it's given a story explanation in-universe, but it's a wink and a nod to the tactical information the player has. Owain's low-stat joke about sinister forces conspiring to hinder his growth is a similar half-nod to the concept of being RNG-screwed.

Yeah, this is a pretty good explanation. IMO, however, the only clear-cut example of 4th wall breakage in this game is Vincent's comment in Golden Gaffe. A few other things like Frederick's comment arguably come close, but it doesn't fit the definition perfectly.

Morgan's crit quote breaks the fourth wall. "GAME OVER!"

I don't have to explain this one.

Yeah I suppose it does. If it just said "game" in the context of something like "the game is up" then I don't think that would necessarily be enough, but the fact that he uses the exact same phrase that the game gives you when you die, "Game Over", seems to constitute 4th wall breaking.

I wouldn't say so. It's more of a case of modern wording (as it came in to popular use from video games)Their game of fighting... is over. If he said something about HP or whatever, then yes, it would break the fourth wall.

Edited by L95

I wouldn't say so. It's more of a case of modern wording (as it came in to popular use from video games)Their game of fighting... is over. If he said something about HP or whatever, then yes, it would break the fourth wall.

The only "game" that can even be slightly directed towards FE is their chess game, and you don't say 'game over' for that. You say checkmate. (Which the avatar also says, but that's different.) He's basically telling the enemy "game over" before killing them--which in a video gaming sense WOULD give said enemy a game over screen. Even if he were referring to the game of fighting, just saying 'game over' is suspicious. I'd understand it in more of a in-character term if they were like "This game is over!"

...Maybe Morgan comes from our time. And has actually played video games, but hasn't realized it.

*smacked*

Erm... should I be posting towards TV Tropes' pages about the Fourth Wall and hanging lampshades? Maybe that would help...

As a writer, I love lampshading, lol. However, I don't consider 'game over' to be that.

• 6 years later...

When henry levels up and six or more stats increase he will say: "I’m a hex of a lot stronger now. GET IT?" because hex means six.

So why would he just say this if he gets stronger and only with 6 or more stats increase perhaps he know his own stat growths?