Advance Wars Days of Ruin

Relinquished

Days of Ruin is the Nintendo Wars I like the most, as it moves back to gameplay-oriented fun rather than trying to mash everything in. Got far more play than Dual Strike did--the only recent one where I actually completed a fair chunk of the maps in free mode.

Although, the first Advance Wars is the best in the series--new mechanic before it went to hell, simple, and the best final map in the series. Although, nothing's cooler than having trains in Super Famicom Wars coming through and blasting crap.

For people who liked Nintendo Wars before, it does, especially when Advance Wars 2 and Dual Strike became stupidly cheap. If you haven't noticed in Dual Strike, it's virtually impossible to lose. You not only can move at least twice per turn, even more, but also there's pairing up certain COs and items which boost you into stupid proportions.

It's your definition of fun, not a global definition. Dual Strike is the easiest in the series--and wasn't remotely fun for me. In fact, the most fun I had was trying to collect all the ranks for every character. Now, that was a good idea: allowing you to use whatever character you wanted in Campaign, as well as an incentive to build their rank up.

10 chapters??!!

that's nothing compared of what's after that

like 5 or 6 missions later, they'll explain you how PWN can a Battleship be, dispatching the CO into the battlefield and the CO Power build.

DoR is definitely more balanced, I give it that. But AWDS was my favorite, and I consider myself to have spent more time on it than any other game. I spent countless hours creating maps for it. But actual play time, it falls short of SSBM and ToS.